Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:41:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cyborg543] [#1]
The #1 job of any politician is to get re-elected.

The NRA has a history of cutting individual politicians out of the herd and fucking up their re-elections.

Politicians are afraid of the NRA for that reason.  Especially the ones in close races.

Even our low-rent kenyan uber-liberal president is afraid to fuck with them.

Bill Clinton says he lost control of congress because of the NRA.

You guys can make up as much retarded bullshit as you like about the NRA, but the above is still going to be true.

Google "powerful gun rights organization" and you'll see a million quotes by liberals complaining about the NRA.

The other gun rights groups talk real tough but they simply don't have enough money or membership to make any difference.

That's the reality of the situation.

ETA

looky here, a whole huffington post whine festival about the NRA

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-horwitz/foreign-policy-by-the-nra_b_1159972.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-horwitz/foreign-policy-by-the-nra_b_1159972.html

Sensing his vulnerability, Gingrich has worked hard to "evolve" his position to get right with the NRA––the one player in the pro-gun movement that matters in a Republican presidential primary. In recent speeches, Newt has parroted the NRA line so effectively that he sounds more like a self-appointed militia leader than an erudite intellectual.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By swingset:

Originally Posted By Dudley_Brown:
Dravur -

You live in Colorado, but have never heard of RMGO?  

Call any of the top ten most pro-gun State legislators (like St. Rep. Chris Holbert and St. Sen. Greg Brophy, who run bills like Constitutional Carry).  Ask them about me or RMGO.

Or Senators Renfroe, Neville, Harvey, etc, etc.

Puffing your chest out is not a counter for what you're being accused of.

Hole digging on your resume, too?

We are witnessing a first-hand example of how the people who gravitate to and comprise our political system are entirely detached from reality and rational thinking.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#3]

-snip-

Get back to us when:

You have a major infuence in DC

You can say that you are influencing gun rights on a national level

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I find it ironic that NRA cheerleaders could whine about ANYONE'S fundraising attempt.  That's funny.

What is ironic is that you apparently recognized some of the problems in the NRA's approach to fundraising (the NRA being a group that isn't above fearmongering a bit itself) and then went WAY, WAY, beyond what the NRA would deem acceptable in that same circumstance in order to raise funds.  If it is wrong when the NRA engages in mere hyperbole, then how can you sign your name to the letter the OP posted?

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:18:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cyborg543] [#5]
Originally Posted By flynhghr2001:

-snip-

Get back to us when:

Exactly.

The NRA ran $40 million worth of anti-obama ads in the last election.

How many dollars were spent by the professional NRA bashers?

Or the tier-one retards that show up here on arfcom to trade anti-NRA bullshit back and forth?

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Compromising?

Call up the sponsors of the Wyoming Constitutional Carry bill.  State Rep. Al Jaggi and St. Sen. Kit Jennings.
http://www.nationalgunrights.org/wyoming-passes-constitutional-carry/

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Compromising?

Call up the sponsors of the Wyoming Constitutional Carry bill.  State Rep. Al Jaggi and St. Sen. Kit Jennings.

How many members do you have?

NRA = 4 million

GOA = 300,000

JPFO = 2,000

NAGR = ???

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:38:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rogue-Sasquatch] [#8]
Compromising?

Cite where it is illegal in federal law for you to disclose your organization's candidate endorsement to non-members as you stated in your mail.

Or, don a felt bank robber mask, a red-and-white striped shirt, and post a video of yourself singing the Calvin and Hobbes "I'm Very Sorry Song".

The choice is yours.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#9]
in for the Calvin and Hobbes video
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

Originally Posted By Hard_Rock:

Okay, I'm disgusted by the NRA ........

Why?

The NRA is the voice of American gun owners and is the big player in the halls of Congress.

Support the NRA.

(Life and Benefactor NRA member.)

Upgrading to Patron this month
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:43:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GRB-36_FICON] [#11]

Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:

Compromising?

Call up the sponsors of the Wyoming Constitutional Carry bill. State Rep. Al Jaggi and St. Sen. Kit Jennings.

Cite where it is illegal in federal law for you to disclose your organization's candidate endorsement to non-members as you stated in your mail.

Or, don a felt bank robber mask, a red-and-white striped shirt, and post a video of yourself singing the Calvin and Hobbes "I'm Very Sorry Song".

The choice is yours.

I'd love to see that video!

Here's the lyrics just so he can't claim he doesn't know them.

Bum bum bum

I blew it! .................................................. He's sorry

I knew it! .................................................. So sorry

I'm very very sorry that I took your precious flaaggg! Just don't do it any more, you scurvy scalawaagg

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:48:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911roben] [#12]

Why?

The NRA is the voice of American gun owners and is the big player in the halls of Congress.

Support the NRA.

NRA Supported the FOPA circa 1986.   (Which included the Hughes Amendment –– ie the Machine Gun Ban.)   I was an annual member from 1978 thru 1986.   I find it difficult to accept their justification for supporting FOPA and doubt I will ever forgive them.    GOA is growing and they do not (as of yet) compromise.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:58:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cyborg543] [#13]
Originally Posted By cyborg543:
Originally Posted By flynhghr2001:

-snip-

Get back to us when:

Exactly.

The NRA ran $40 million worth of anti-obama ads in the last election.

How many dollars were spent by the professional NRA bashers?

Or the tier-one retards that show up here on arfcom to trade anti-NRA bullshit back and forth?

still waiting......

wayyyyyy

tiiiiiiinnnnnggggg..................................

i have a question for both you and the GOA:

Why can't you just run your ever-so-ivory-soap-pure gun rights campaign without bashing the NRA?

Nobody else seems to have to resort to selling their product this way.  

Skippy peanut butter doesn't run ads saying, "Peter Pan peanut butter is dogshit made by whores."

Why don't you take a page out of Skippy's book and just make a good product that consumers can pick on its merit.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 1911roben:

Have you ever heard of the Hughes Amendment, circa April 1986?   NRA supported that bill and lost me (and millions of others) <u>Forever</u> by doing so.   I know they don't mention stuff like this in their weekly snail mails, but if you check, you will find that it is true.

The NRA supported the 1986 Firearms Owner Protection Act. They did not support the Hughes Amendment which was attached to the FOPA as a poison pill on a voice vote. Charlie Rangel declared the amendment approved.  The NRA made the decision that it was better to swallow the poison pill rather than lose FOPA (FOPA had been defeated in committee for 7 years running. It only managed to avoid death in committee again by clever use of a discharge petition - making it one of only two bills brought out by discharge petition to actually become law from 1931-2003.)  The NRA immediately filed a legal challenge to the Hughes Amendment (Farmer vs. Higgins) which was led by Stephen Halbrook and funded by the NRA Firearms Civil Rights Legal Defense Fund.  That challenge was defeated in the 11th Circuit (FARMER v. HIGGINS Cite as 907 F.2d 1041 (11th Cir. 1990)) and the Supreme Court denied cert when the NRA attempted to appeal.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually, I said I HAVE been to the RMGO site and HAVE heard of the things you have done in the state of CO.

It doesn't change the wording of your emails and I am still keeping my $5

I think you need to own up to the wording of that Email to be inflammatory at best and blatantly a lie at worst.

We're waiting...
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:
Compromising?

The choice is yours.

Man after my own heart.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Heartbreaker1373:

"NAGR"? Seriously?

http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/article/844/844539/south-park-20080109061909598.jpg

That's exactly where I was with it.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Goodbye, children.  

Have a rant in your little sandbox.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Goodbye, children.  

another one bites the dust...

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Goodbye, children.  

Thanks for supporting our site!
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Goodbye, children.  

You were accused of being dishonest, and instead of speaking to that you just walked off in another direction talking about yourself and bullshit no one was concerned with.

Then, you insult us when you brought it all on yourself.

Since you fancy yourself a warrior in the gun-rights crowd, that's pretty fucking sad. We don't need people like you in the fight, frankly.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Goodbye, children.

na...na...na...na

na...na...na...na

hey...hey...hey

goooooodbeyyyyy!

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Goodbye, children.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Why?

Support the NRA.

While I disagree with some of the NRAs activities they are the strongest national gun rights organization we have.  Anyone who owns a gun and is not a member is relying on those of us that are to protect their gun rights.  This is especially true of some hunters that think the gun grabbers are not after their rifles.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Goodbye, children.  

That just left everyone with a wonderful impression of your character, didn't it?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:

Why?

Support the NRA.

Cuz they send me mailers wanting money and maybe call 1-2x a year OMG BBQ Derp Derp Derp  

Contact them and tell them you don't want the mailers.   That's a minor matter to be disgusted over.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lumpy03] [#30]
Goodbye, children.  

*crickets*

and, THANK YOU, Hard Rock !!!!

'03

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DON70:

Why?

Support the NRA.

While I disagree with some of the NRAs activities they are the strongest national gun rights organization we have.  Anyone who owns a gun and is not a member is relying on those of us that are to protect their gun rights.  This is especially true of some hunters that think the gun grabbers are not after their rifles.

Being an NRA member is not the only way to support 2nd amendment rights.  For example, there are businesses that offer an option to "round up" orders and send the extra money to the NRA as a donation.  This allows donating money to the NRA's fight against gun control, without getting your name and address on their mailing list (you give them money, then it isn't spent on filling your mailbox with more requests for money).
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#32]
This is the most entertainment I've had all week!
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Mr. Brown, I too have been to the RMGO site and I actually like some of the things you've done locally for Colorado.  It's nice having some local focus for some of our issues that don't make national headlines.  I've even used your report a merchant for posting "no guns signs" feature since it helps us locals to determine what businesses to support.  I even like that you give reported merchants to oppurtunity to redeem themselves and regain support from patrons who concealed carry.

Where I draw the line is where much of the other Arfcommers have spoken up... The blatant lies in fundraising letters and emails that you send out.  There was also one you sent out opposing the National Reciprocity Act for Concealed Carry (I can't remember the exact title of the bill right now).  The NRA even posted a response article in the most recent issue of American Rifleman directed at the Pro-gun groups who were using the NRA and support of the bill to raise money by claiming that the bill was some kind of government conspiracy for a national registration.  When I get home tonight I'll try and find the online version of the article and post it oin this thread.  In that article the NRA called out groups like yours for the dishonest tactics you use in order to raise money and membership; they were just too polite to call you out by name.

I'll even say that I've had issues with the NRA and some of the positions they've taken in the past.  Hell, I remember when they were pretty much just a supporter of FUDDs.  But they have done a lot of work in the past decade or so to support defensive use, NFA ownership, concealed carry... need I go on?  Even in their most recent magazine, there was an article promoting supressor ownership, their benefits, and why supressors have a bad reputation thatks to Hollywood moviemakers.  Plus there's been the sweeping support of AR ownership and the expanded use in hunting, competition and other traditional fields that, until recently, would never have been considered proper for owners of those evil black rifles to be seen around.

I find it reprehensible that you, Mr. Brown, and others like you would use tactics to pit gun rights supporters against one another and against other gun rights groups when we should all be on the same side fighting against scum like George Soros and all the anti-gun groups his billions support.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Lumpy03:
Goodbye, children.  

*crickets*

and, THANK YOU, Hard Rock !!!!

'03

Amen
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Autarkis:
Mr. Brown, I too have been to the RMGO site and I actually like some of the things you've done locally for Colorado.  It's nice having some local focus for some of our issues that don't make national headlines.  I've even used your report a merchant for posting "no guns signs" feature since it helps us locals to determine what businesses to support.  I even like that you give reported merchants to oppurtunity to redeem themselves and regain support from patrons who concealed carry.

Where I draw the line is where much of the other Arfcommers have spoken up... The blatant lies in fundraising letters and emails that you send out.  There was also one you sent out opposing the National Reciprocity Act for Concealed Carry (I can't remember the exact title of the bill right now).  The NRA even posted a response article in the most recent issue of American Rifleman directed at the Pro-gun groups who were using the NRA and support of the bill to raise money by claiming that the bill was some kind of government conspiracy for a national registration.  When I get home tonight I'll try and find the online version of the article and post it oin this thread.  In that article the NRA called out groups like yours for the dishonest tactics you use in order to raise money and membership; they were just too polite to call you out by name.

I'll even say that I've had issues with the NRA and some of the positions they've taken in the past.  Hell, I remember when they were pretty much just a supporter of FUDDs.  But they have done a lot of work in the past decade or so to support defensive use, NFA ownership, concealed carry... need I go on?  Even in their most recent magazine, there was an article promoting supressor ownership, their benefits, and why supressors have a bad reputation thatks to Hollywood moviemakers.  Plus there's been the sweeping support of AR ownership and the expanded use in hunting, competition and other traditional fields that, until recently, would never have been considered proper for owners of those evil black rifles to be seen around.

I find it reprehensible that you, Mr. Brown, and others like you would use tactics to pit gun rights supporters against one another and against other gun rights groups when we should all be on the same side fighting against scum like George Soros and all the anti-gun groups his billions support.

http://www.cssa.org/news.php
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#37]
You don't think giving money to a candidate is protecting them?

If you're that naive, fella, I want to play poker with you.  Bring lots of money.

You really don't give any money, so it's kinda moot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I forgot to mention about PACs... A PAC is free to support or oppose any candidate of their choosing.  What they are prohibited from doing is coordinating directly with a candidate's campaign.  So please don't attempt to use this as an excuse for wording your letter the way you did, Mr. Brown.  It's disengenuious and is a tactic that liberals use... Although you've already used liberal tactics in avoiding and tap dancing around a direct request for a citation to support the claim from your letter.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I get E-mails from them always looking for money.I am a Life NRA and NAHC member and give money to GOA and SCI when I can do so.After a while I get tired of people asking for money or the sky will fall.I back known pro-gun/hunting groups with a proven track record so what money I can spare is used correctly(I hope!)
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

Ladies and gents––I think this thread contains important and worthwhile information.  "Gun people" are typically honest and upright folks, so when a scammer is outted it's important to have the information available to all.  With that in mind I have toggled the archive status of this thread so it will not ever go to the Archive.  You will be able to find it via search (for those who don't want to save it to Favorites) with a keyword like "scam" from the title.

This "NAGR" group is bad news––let's make sure everyone concerned with the RKBA struggle finds this out.  

DAMN, I heard that all the way over here.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By DON70:

Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:

Why?

Support the NRA.

Cuz they send me mailers wanting money and maybe call 1-2x a year OMG BBQ Derp Derp Derp  

Contact them and tell them you don't want the mailers.   That's a minor matter to be disgusted over.

Correct

hence my sarcasm

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

Goodbye, children.  

You have completely trashed your own credibility and reputation.  Rest assured this will follow you.  

yep even after 10+ years here it still amazes me

this "little" sandbox has apox 300,000 sets of eyes and never forgets

every time from now on Mr Brown surfaces at anything gun related this thread will surface with him

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:49:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 15jonshoot] [#43]
Bump, just to add to Google's count on NAGR (National Association of Gun Rights) trying to help keep this thread in the forefront of their search algorithm's.

Emailed a link to all my gun buddies and asked them to send it on to their buddies.

ETA to add, I'm a life member of the NRA.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Casper507:
Is this one of those hunter's rights groups where the heads contribute millions to the democrats and even contribute to Handgun Control Inc.?

No.  Dudley Brown founded the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners in the 90's.  His big fundraising techniques are NRA bashing and fear mongering ala GOA.  He went national a year or two ago.  While they have done some positive things in the state I can not stand his tactics.  I have one email conversation where I pointed out some logical fallacies in the spam I got from him.  His response was he would discuss the issue with me when I had over 20 years lobbying experience.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Wespe:
Originally Posted By Plumbata:
It's run by two lobbyists out of Colorado.  Dudley something or other is the president.   The last thing I saw from them was a press release tearing up on Gingrich for being anti-gun.  

HB 45 has been dead for at least 4 years.   I'd say it's a scam.

I suspect PaulBots.

These kinds of idiots do nothing for our Rights.  They are using the situation for their own gain.  Spread the word far and wide and make sure that people know what game they are playing.  I don't like someone fucking with my 2nd Amendment Rights...  I also don't like people trying to scam other people to make money on the issue.

So what organizations that fight for gun rights are okay to join?

I support the NRA.  JPFO and SAF also do good works IMO.  Several of the state level organizations also seem very good.  THe two that spring to mind are the tx AND iL Rifle associations.   I despise the GOA and anything Dudley Brown is involved in.  They scream no compromise, bash the NRA, cash checks and actually accomplish little or nothing.  JMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Holy fuck.  I go into the real world for a day and come back and this hurricane of a shit storm happens... wow.  To quote Erkel...  "Did I do that?"

I guess Mr. Brown couldn't stand the heat.  The point of my post is that we've been fucked by politicians, gun rights groups, the media and others.  I'm sick of it.  As another poster said in the thread, if you want my support and money, don't lie to me to get it.  I did not intend for this thread to blow up like it did.  I'm glad it did though because now another scam artist has been outed hard and maybe, just maybe other groups will get a clue.  

I work with the Heller Foundation and the Bill of Rights Foundation.  Most people don't know that both of those organizations started with two guys in a basement with an idea.  That idea led to the Heller victory in 2008.  They aren't rich, they don't scam for money.  Every penny that comes in to the Heller Foundation goes to present and upcoming cases.  Dick Heller earns his own money as a security guard.  100% of the money taken in by Heller goes towards YOUR rights.  Heller deserves a salary from his efforts but he won't accept one.  It's more important to him to put that money to work for you and me.  I've donated my time, money, blood and sweat for the Heller Foundation.  So have people like Oleg Volk and many others who share the dream.

That's the kind of organization I respect and will work with.  An organization that publishes letters like what I quoted in my initial post will never, ever get my support.

Thanks to you all for the support and help on this thread.  You all have my deepest appreciation.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 11:39:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I think most will find an issue with the way any organization presents it on one issue or another. The NRA & GOA each having tripped, fallen and had to get up and dust themselves off.  They are not perfect. They have probably said to themselves at one point. The SAF is starting to bang some big drum and have hit my radar in the past year or two. They have peaked my interest

I still am having a WTF moment from reading the responses from Mr Brown. He is going to have a tough time playing on the national level with that attitude. Don't throw a crap sandwich out for gun owners and expect us  to feast on it and don't get huffy when called out on it.
we know the difference.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 11:53:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 1911roben:

Why?

Support the NRA.

Just FYI, GOA has been around since 1976, iirc.  They failed to stop FOPA as well.

Also, are you being morally consistant and NOT benefitting from FOPA until you forgive the NRA?  Or are you criticizing them while benefitting?
NRA Supported the FOPA circa 1986.   (Which included the Hughes Amendment –– ie the Machine Gun Ban.)   I was an annual member from 1978 thru 1986.   I find it difficult to accept their justification for supporting FOPA and doubt I will ever forgive them.    GOA is growing and they do not (as of yet) compromise.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By 2tom2:

I still am having a WTF moment from reading the responses from Mr Brown. He is going to have a tough time playing on the national level with that attitude. Don't throw a crap sandwich out for gun owners and expect us  to feast on it and don't get huffy when called out on it.

we know the difference.

The list of NAGR-lovers is getting smaller.

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 1:06:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Autarkis:

OK here's the article I mentioned from earlier:

http://www.nrapublications.org/index.php/political-report/

Political Report

By Chris W. Cox
NRA-ILA Executive Director

Exploding the Myths About National Right to Carry

Here at NRA-ILA, we fly in a constant headwind of disinformation. Anti-gun groups generate outlandish claims on a daily basis and the biased media parrots their propaganda without question. We are constantly correcting the lies, misstatements and half-truths that our political opponents strew in our path.

In truth, I don’t mind because there is a positive side effect. Anti-gun groups erode their own credibility with every provable lie. By the same token, we build our own credibility every time we disprove an absurd statement made by the enemies of freedom.

What I do mind is when small, self-described “pro-gun” groups constantly sound false alarms about solid pro-gun reform legislation in an effort to raise money. These repeat offenders peddle misinformation as the gospel. They dilute the good work your NRA staff and fellow members do to protect the Second Amendment.

Friendly fire is an all-too-common accident in war, but these misrepresentations are different—they’re intentional. I’m especially thinking about the misguided, unfounded and just plain wrong information circulating on the Internet lately regarding H.R. 822—the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011,” which has just been favorably reported by the U.S. House Judiciary Committee.

H.R. 822 is a good bill. It enhances Americans’ right to self-defense by enabling millions of permit holders to exercise their right to self-defense while traveling outside their home states. It would allow any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes.

H.R. 822 would not create a federal registration or licensing system, nor would it establish a minimum federal standard for permits. Rather, it would simply require states to recognize each others’ carry permits, just as they recognize carry permits held by armored car guards or drivers’ licenses held by average citizens.

But myths about the bill continue to be generated by these self-proclaimed “gun rights” supporters who have no active lobbying presence in Congress or any state legislature.

One myth suggests that H.R. 822 would involve the federal bureaucracy in setting standards for carry permits—such as higher fees, waiting periods, national gun owner registration or worse. In truth, H.R. 822 doesn’t authorize any such action by any federal agency. No federal rules or regulations would be needed to implement H.R. 822, which simply overrides certain state laws.

Another myth holds that H.R. 822 would undercut permitless carry laws such as those in Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming. In reality, H.R. 822 would have absolutely no effect on how the permitless carry states’ laws work within those states. If you live in Arizona, Alaska or Wyoming, where permits are not required but remain available under state law, H.R. 822 would make your permit valid in all states that issue permits to their own residents—in other words, everywhere except Illinois and the District of Columbia. And if you live in Vermont, where no permits are issued or required, you could still get a nonresident permit from any other state to enjoy the same benefits.

Another myth suggests that when H.R. 822 moves through the legislative process, it will be subject to anti-gun amendments. If we let ourselves be paralyzed by that fear, we could never promote any pro-gun reform legislation anywhere.

Instead, we move ahead to make positive changes for gun owners because we know we can avoid or defeat anti-gun amendments by careful vote counting and strategic use of legislative procedure. This was proven when the House Judiciary Committee considered amendments to H.R. 822. Anti-gun lawmakers offered a blizzard of amendments to weaken or gut the legislation, or just to score political points against Second Amendment supporters. Every one of those amendments was easily defeated.

If you see or hear these myths continue to circulate, you might want to ask the sources why they continue to spread misinformation. (While you’re at it, you can ask them what exactly they intend to do with the money they’re asking you to send.)

But enough about the myths. Let’s talk about the truth: H.R. 822 is solid, positive, pro-gun reform legislation and it’s a natural extension of our success in enacting Right-to-Carry laws at the state level. That’s why NRA-ILA is strongly supporting it. By the time you read this column, the bill may already have come to the floor of the U.S. House. If so, it will need your help to get through the Senate. Visit www.NRAILA.org today to see the bill’s current status, and use the “Write Your Reps” tool to express your support for this important bill.

Hope this helped.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top