Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2024 8:47:08 PM EDT
I have an older family member, turning 60 this year, who has just been approved for disability.  She took a whack to the noodle a few years back and has memory issues which lead to difficulty managing her own finances.  The social security office made me her representative payee.  I have been reading up on their handbooks and various online articles to try and learn some of the ins and outs.

One thing I'm still struggling with is the handbook seems to contradict itself.  On the one hand, it says to use the money in the best interest of the person.  On the other hand, it says you cannot save more than $2k.  That doesn't even allow for a 1-month emergency fund to roll over year to year, let alone a 6-12 month emergency fund or to save for large purchases or medical expenses.  There is a fairly hefty amount of back pay involved.  There are only so many big ticket items that need addressed currently, like a new roof and making her house safer.  It seems like Uncle Sam is requiring that all of this bigass chunk of back pay gets spent now.  Even though common sense says that it will be needed more down the road when appliances need replaced or the car needs fixed.

I came across some advice for payees where the disabled person is younger, there is an ABLE account which allows you to save the person's money for them.  I don't think this account is applicable for my situation, since this person became disabled in her late 50s.  Does anybody have any similar strategies for a representative payee to save money in my situation?

One idea I had was to buy things for her that hold their value well and could be sold later.  Granny could use a few HK sears and RDIAS, if you know what I'm sayin'  

The next thing I need to figure out is how to navigate medicare, medicaid, obamacare, part A, part B, and whatever else.  I am still in my 30s and have not yet had to learn about all these.  Are there special financial advisors who specialize in these old geezer topics?  I assume there has to be, but I dont know what they would be called or how to search out a good one.  I need to get informed so I can make the best decisions to get granny setup with health coverage.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#1]
One good resource for the health care is the book Medicare for Dummies. It covers many topics that are relative to you.

The government does expect you to spend the money each month and not accumulate it. Is it possible for any money left over to be gifted to you? Then when big expenses come up, you can pay for it. The limit on tax free gifts of money are $18k in 2024.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:44:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkBinSC:
Is it possible for any money left over to be gifted to you? Then when big expenses come up, you can pay for it. The limit on tax free gifts of money are $18k in 2024.
View Quote

I have a feeling if they saw that happen, they would assume the worst, that I am stealing the money from poor disabled granny.

Basically, the money is hers but she is not supposed to spend it.  I am a custodian of the account and am obligated to spend the money in her best interests.  I am probably not allow to gift myself the money on behalf of her.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Is  there any  provision  for paying you for  your time,  AKA  salary?   I would think so.  A situation like that can eat a LOT out of a person's life, regardless of how they feel  about the victim.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Is she getting SSI or SSDI?  SSI has the $2000 asset limit, SSDI does not appear to have an asset limit at all, only earned income limits.
https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/social-security-disability/ssdi/income-limits-ssdi-benefits
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:06:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#5]
Originally Posted By 440roadrunner:
Is  there any  provision  for paying you for  your time,  AKA  salary?   I would think so.  A situation like that can eat a LOT out of a person's life, regardless of how they feel  about the victim.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 440roadrunner:

No.  You cannot charge a fee.  I can reimburse myself for reasonable expenses like gas taking her to Dr appointments.

Originally Posted By Bubbles:
Is she getting SSI or SSDI?  SSI has the $2000 asset limit, SSDI does not appear to have an asset limit at all, only earned income limits.
https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/social-security-disability/ssdi/income-limits-ssdi-benefits

This is ssdi.  The handbook for representative payees from ssa reads like all the money most be spent each year.  Only $2k is allowed to roll over.

ETA:
I think you may be correct.  I asked over in the SSDI reddit.  There is SSI and SSDI.  The handbook for representative payees combines the two of them together, which makes it hard to understand.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Purchase Walmart gift cards
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top