Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

SHTF and how I responded (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Note: when the power is out things get really quite, the sounds of a generator running travel pretty far.

So plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Power lines went down in an ice storm this winter and it took 3 days to repair.  It was 2am when the power went out at my house. I waited 20 seconds and the power came back on.  

I love my whole house generator!

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Precious87:
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

It’s 2024, man. Standards have changed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Spider1:
wow... 700 homes out of power. oh my. Here in NE PA we get power outages that effect thousands just about every month or so. Got a house generator, lights stay on, heat stays on, internet... tv... hot water, everything. Takes more than a tree falling on a wire to make a shtf scenario.
View Quote
That was just on our leg of the grid. Over 70k out in the charlotte metro area.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:
My basement floods 7" deep in 8 hours if my power goes out. My sump runs every 5 minutes. SHTF for sure.

Bought a generator just for the sump. Nothing in the fridge is worth saving anyway
View Quote

I have kind of the same problem.  I have two generators, a backup battery sump, a solar set up to charge that battery,  plus a bilge pump.    If you have city water there is an emergency sump pump powered by the water pressure,  I'm on well so it won't work for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

My daughter, who lived through Katrina, moved to New Jersey just in time for Sandy. When they lost power for 48 hours, NJ neighbors asked her if it was like that in Katrina.

She told them. Almost.  Except we lost our power on August 29, 2005 and it came back on on January 10, 2006.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#7]
lol
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:19:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bunnysriflestock] [#8]
Originally Posted By ExFed1811:

My daughter, who lived through Katrina, moved to New Jersey just in time for Sandy. When they lost power for 48 hours, NJ neighbors asked her if it was like that in Katrina.

She told them. Almost.  Except we lost our power on August 29, 2005 and it came back on on January 10, 2006.
View Quote

Sister was lucky, We were 14 days without power with Sandy. I learned a lot from that.

Edit
I am glad it didn't happen to her twice.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Guard kitteh is best kitteh.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

THIS times 187...!
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

Depends on how dramatic your wife or mother in law are.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I can sort of see the need with a sump pump, but I've never understood the need to start a generator immediately after the power goes out, and keep it running until power is restored.

We lose power from storms - sometimes for days - almost every year. I start and run the generator a few times a day so we can shower / use the bathroom / charge phones / wash clothes / keep the freezer cold.

There's no point in running the generator all night while people are sleeping. The freezer will be fine for 8 hours as long as nobody is opening the door. (Granted this is in the upper Midwest where my basement is naturally about 50 in the winter and 65 in the summer)

I've gone days and days on less than 10 gallons of fuel through a 5000 watt generator with almost no change in daily activities. Kids aren't playing as much Xbox or on their phones as much, but that's not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By slash61:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117587/1000005013_jpg-3209314.JPG

Also, guard kitteh.
View Quote

Cat did a lot of loving on that couch.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:57:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Lol you are taking some flak OP but good on you for providing normality for you family.

I'm sure your neighbors are envious.  Depending upon how long you are out of power, you can win some big brownie points offering hot showers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FreeXP:
Lol you are taking some flak OP but good on you for providing normality for you family.

I'm sure your neighbors are envious.  Depending upon how long you are out of power, you can win some big brownie points offering hot showers.
View Quote

Truth! My neighborhood was without power for a couple of weeks after Sandy. I have a whole house NG standby generator so I was only down for 20 seconds or so, but none of my neighbors were prepared. I offered fridge and freezer storage space to people who needed it, and only had one taker. But coffee and USB charging? Oh yes. I had a line for coffee every morning! When things normalized I got all kinds of homemade preserves, baked goods, and gift certificates to local places. People definitely appreciate small creature comforts at a time like that.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

Laughs in Florida Man.  

2014...hurricanes:
1 week without power.  
Power comes back for a few days.  Just long enough to appreciate air conditioning in the Florida summer.  
2nd hurricane.  13 days without power.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Power out = SHTF?
View Quote
In modern western society, yes, power out is SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Skuld5497:

Cat did a lot of loving on that couch.
View Quote
Lol that's just a random extra fuzzy pillow the wife found somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

Provided you're not directly crisped by the nuke or squashed by the asteroid, power outages are pretty much the root of all SHTF scenarios.  Civilization requires energy, and our most prevalent form has been electricity since Tom E. flipped on his first light bulb.

Short term outages can be a sobering reminder of just how much of a pain in the ass it can be.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

It does if you're on a CPAP.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#23]
#imasurvivor
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#24]
OP needs to look into a better exhaust suppression method for that genny... along with improved home "hardening" methods...
shit gets back to natural quietness levels, that little 5 hp genny is a dinnerbell ringing in the wind.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Kiju:
OP needs to look into a better exhaust suppression method for that genny... along with improved home "hardening" methods...
shit gets back to natural quietness levels, that little 5 hp genny is a dinnerbell ringing in the wind.
View Quote

Thieves have started replacing genny's with a running lawn mower so you don't notice until they are gone.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:

Thieves have started replacing genny's with a running lawn mower so you don't notice until they are gone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kiju:

It was in a locked hardened back building with its own fresh air ports. I'm also on a wooded lot on a main road with minimal neighbors, not a suburbia.

To the response of the thieves, I might have noticed when the power stopped powering lol.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#27]
What will OP do during an actual SHTF situation.

For example, his driveway alarm goes off at 0400 then a motion light comes on….
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

OP is probably a millenial.  The ice cream machine broken at McDonalds is the worst day EVAR.  Power Out is SHTF.  A true disaster just mean's it's time to commit Seppuku.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Think I'd notice when the lights went back out.
damn it- beat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

Beer getting warm = SHTF
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

OP is probably a millenial.  The ice cream machine broken at McDonalds is the worst day EVAR.  Power Out is SHTF.  A true disaster just mean's it's time to commit Seppuku.
View Quote
Ok Boomer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#32]
The SHTF.

I cracked a beer, started my generator and chatted with neighbors
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Power out = SHTF?

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Is a power outage a SHTF situation?  I just thought it was an inconvenience.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:13:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taft] [#35]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:17:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#36]
Attachment Attached File

Roughly 20 years ago there was a regional windstorm that created widespread power outages. Some rural areas took an over a month to restore. My biz was out over a week.

Had petrol on hand and gens. Went ok running the various fridges intermittently and charging what was needed, my residence and family's . After a few days local gas stations and businesses were still closed but have a petrol and diesel tank tho it's not close. Was tired of the hassle by the end (really well before) and everything got standby / whole house. Pretty good system at the farm gave me some insight. Once installed I hardly realize the power has failed.

No issues with performance or reliability over the last 2 decades.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By blueinterceptor:
Treat every opportunity as a training experience.  Power out for a few hrs may not be but could be shtf depending on your circumstances.  What were your considerations if your neighbors came looking for help.
Refrigeration of medications

Unscheduled power outage- how much gasoline did you have on hand.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:27:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beaten_Weiner] [#38]
Good planning, op.  And you wont get any shit from me for firing the genny up

I have 2 x tri-fuel Champions that put out 7kw running watts ea. on NG.   Call me a pussy if you want , but I wont be sweating this hurricane season

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:29:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#39]
I wait about 5 seconds for my 24kw generator to start itself and trip the transfer switch, then roll over and go back to sleep.
In the unlikely chance of NG service going down here, i can roll out the 8500w gasser and plug it into my original genny hookup.
I may add propane backup for my big generator at some point.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By dyezak:
View Quote

The McDonald's ice cream machine not working is actually SHTF level.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#41]
That's called Springtime in Oklahoma.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
I wait about 5 seconds for my 24kw generator to start itself and trip the transfer switch, then roll over and go back to sleep.
In the unlikely chance of NG service going down here, i can roll out the 8500w gasser and plug it into my original genny hookup.
I may add propane backup for my big generator at some point.
View Quote

Doing it again, I'd skip it. Propane hasn't been touched once
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Weird, but not complaining: we live just north of Charlotte and haven't had any disruption of service. Plenty of G-D rain, though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By slash61:
I'm in central NC, just west of Charlotte. About 4PM power went out at the house, it's happened alot lately because they are upgraded all the service along my line. This time, it was because of basically a small tornado knocked out tons of power. Almost 700 homes just on this one outage.

We had enough battery powered lights and things to last a few hours, but there was no ETA for power to return. Around 8pm/2000 hours I went out and powered up my genny, staged it up to power the house, and now I'm sitting here drinking cold beer and watching re-runs of "ask this old house" while all the neighbors don't have any power. The crew is working on the fix now, just takes time.

Feel free to ask me about my set up, it's not super hi tech.

Edit: power came back on around 0200. Still about 30k people out of power in the Charlotte area.
View Quote

I admire your ability to survive such Catastrophic Events.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:20:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Crazyascanbe] [#47]

Holy shit, bro

Good luck to you and yours.

I was in your shoes a little while ago from a hurricane that destroyed my house
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Due to a wind storm, we lost power at my house for about a week and a half back in 2019.  

We ran a generator which given the time of year (February) was more than adequate for lights and heat.  I learned I didn't have enough gas on hand.  We had some elderly neighbors we let stay with us two days before the power was back on.

Never lost Internet other than power for the router/modem.

Mostly it was educational.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:

Holy shit, bro

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:

Holy shit, bro

8 feet inside. I think we had power in 3 days tho

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
Is a power outage a SHTF situation?  I just thought it was an inconvenience.
View Quote
An inconvenience that results in a lot of members starting threads about getting a whole house generator because they went without AC a couple hours.

Look at how many have NVG's suppressors, "bug-out-bags" and whatnot for a red dawn scenario, but can't weather a storm. There's been a lot.

You did good OP. As a "doomsday prepper" I have an impressive amount of food stored, and means for protection. I also have the means to make sure the food doesn't go bad. And lights. Basically everything but AC, because I don't recreate normal in an emergency.
Page / 3
SHTF and how I responded (Page 2 of 3)
Top Top