Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2024 12:27:23 PM EDT
I have a SEP IRA that I contribute to as self employed.

My accountant told me a few years ago i could not contribute to a Traditional IRA also. (Something about it having to do with a pension)

If I have a SEP, can I also have other retirement plans?

You can maintain both a SEP and another plan. However, unless the other plan is also a SEP, you cannot use Form 5305-SEP; you must adopt either a prototype SEP or an individually designed SEP.
View Quote

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/retirement-plans-faqs-regarding-seps

Thats what the IRS says. Anyone here have both that they contribute to?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
No one knows apparently.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
@far_right
I would probably reach out to the IRS and ask their opinion and document their response. It’s tricky because an individual can have their own separate account even if they have a SIMPLE IRA through their employer.
Attachment Attached File

But an employer cannot offer any other plans if they offer a SIMPLE IRA.
Attachment Attached File

If you’re self employed the question comes down to if the IRS sees you as the employer or the employee.  I would think if the additional account you want to set up had no connection to or contributions from your business it’d be ok but I’d check first.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:22:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkiandShoot] [#3]
Some decent examples at that link posted.

Traditionally the gubment has allowed for employment sponsored and individual contributions to coexist but there are a few exotic cases, probably.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top