Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 2:22:06 PM EDT
I had some excavating done and part of my yard is now smooth, packed clay with sparse grass.  I want to lay down a couple inches of black dirt and blend it into the clay, two or three inches down, before spreading grass seed.  Will a flail-type dethatcher do this, or should I use/rent a roto tiller?  I have already removed the larger stones.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:36:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#1]
I don't have any experience with dethatchers but it appears they're are mainly towed.  Rear tinned tillers are walked, so the size of your area might play into your choice.  
A tiller can be set to where you're only tilling to the depth you want and any rear tinned tiller worth its salt has enough power to bust up clay.
I have a Troy Bilt Horse tiller which has worked well, over the years, but now I also have a 3 point tiller on my tractor, I'm planting about 3 1/2 acres.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I don't have any experience with dethatchers but it appears they're are mainly towed.  Rear tinned tillers are walked, so the size of your area might play into your choice.  
A tiller can be set to where you're only tilling to the depth you want and any rear tinned tiller worth its salt has enough power to bust up clay.
I have a Troy Bilt Horse tiller which has worked well, over the years, but now I also have a 3 point tiller on my tractor, I'm planting about 3 1/2 acres.
View Quote

Thanks, but I'm talking about the powered dethatcher with hardened flail knives on a rotating shaft with adjustable depth.
I think I'll have to use a roto tiller to get to the depth that I need to.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:01:44 AM EDT
[#3]
A flail mower's anvils are on chains, usually. I wouldn't imagine you'd get much penetration into hard dirt. I'd till it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
A flail mower's anvils are on chains, usually. I wouldn't imagine you'd get much penetration into hard dirt. I'd till it.
View Quote

A dethatcher and a flail mower are two entirely different animals.. not sure why anyone would use a flail mower to loosen dirt.  

Go with the tiller OP as they're made to penetrate soil and mix it at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#5]
f it's anything like the clay in the NC Piedmonts, you're going to need dynamite!

I say tiller.  Go with the tiller, don't think a flail mower is going to be the tool for this job.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:48:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By IH1026:

A dethatcher and a flail mower are two entirely different animals.. not sure why anyone would use a flail mower to loosen dirt.  

Go with the tiller OP as they're made to penetrate soil and mix it at the same time.
View Quote

I wasn't suggesting using a flail mower but presumed that a flail dethatcher was a similarly designed animal. I'm not far off, though, the dethatcher lacks the chains and simply has pivots, which I didn't know. I would still think it would lack depth of cut that OP needs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have a tractor, tiller all things then level.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#8]
For any decent sized area a tractor mounted tiller is the only way. Rent a small tractor/tiller setup and you’ll be done in 1/10 the time of a walk behind tiller. Dethatcher isn’t made to work the soil and hard packed clay is a bitch for a walk behind.  Btdt.  Seriously.  

Top Top