Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 4:36:28 PM EDT
https://ridgeblade.com/rb1-residential/

I actually have the perfect house for this system:

Attachment Attached File

My house faces southwest and there are no trees to block the prevailing winds.  I do get a lot of wind out here that blasts my house, so a ridge mounted turbine would make sense if it was cost-effective.  The issue is the only manufacturer of such turbines I can find is the one at the aforementioned URL.  With no competition, cost is high and there isn't a lot of data to show how long their turbines last, nor what the maintenance costs will be.

Are there any alternatives that use a similar design turbine the mounts on the roof ridge?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#1]
Adding more structural stress and holes which can leak sounds like the last thing I want to do to my roof.  Shingle warranties are enough of a pain in the ass to keep valid as it is.

Between the skylights and now this idea... It's like you want leaks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The output on those is pathetic. If your house faces southwest, then why not do solar panels? Don't lease, pay for it, and enjoy all the subsidies and whatnot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:41:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kychas] [#3]
I hope you are are hard of hearing
The noise will be 24/7 the vibration will go through the house
Put it on a tall pole in the middle of the yard or on the edge of the field and it will still make noise but it will be outside
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the Rate of investment return? How much does that ugly thing cost plus install and maintenance compared to the electrical generation?

I've roofed for 30 years and have never seen anything like that in central California
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]
What is it that you want to power?

Charging a battery bank?

Actually running appliances from the power that is generated?

That RB1 system does not generate a huge amount of energy - but if you're planning on charging a large battery bank, as you might charge one with a solar installation, then maybe it might do what you want - but that depends on a whole lot of assumptions as to what loads you want to power and for how long, and what level of tolerance you may have for those times when the wind may not blow as much as you think it will.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Your house looks like a good canidate for one of these
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
Adding more structural stress and holes which can leak sounds like the last thing I want to do to my roof.  Shingle warranties are enough of a pain in the ass to keep valid as it is.
View Quote
I wouldn't mount one on a roof. They require more maintenance than people think (and parts can be hard to source). All most every home sized turbine I see is broken, it's rare to see one still running.

This one was at a local school and the tower was designed to be self erecting/lowering, of course the mechanism for lowering the tower had failed and parts were no longer available so we were bought in

The brake had also failed so the head was still windmilling and the blades were still spinning which made it kind of difficult to tie onto and lower:

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#8]
2 kW continuous (2.7kW peak) per 5 rotor system

Bull

Shit
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:

Between the skylights and now this idea... It's like you want leaks.
View Quote

This.

If you want a wind turbine, build a tower, and mount the biggest/most efficient system you can.

And you'll need to build it far enough away so you won't hear it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Wind turbines need steady wind to be effective. Just because your area has windy days and big gusts doesn't mean you are a good candidate for a wind turbine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe I should start selling windmills.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Wind is way overhyped. Unless you live in mountain pass where the wind blows 30mph ALL THE TIME you'll come way short, and at rooftop level, even then don't expect much.

You need to be 200 - 300 feet in the air, and then the logistics of that kill the whole concept.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#13]
This company is a wealth of knowledge and they also have a forum.

https://forum.solar-electric.com/
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#14]
wind power is a joke
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CFletch:
wind power is a joke
View Quote
I've made a lot of money doing wind turbine maintenance but yeah I agree. Turbines are noisy, break down a lot and the small ones need a lot of constant high winds to make any real power. If I was looking at producing off grid power, solar would be the only way I would go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top