Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2024 9:30:12 AM EDT
So we have an old Char-Broil 3 burner propane grill that I was thinking of cleaning thoroughly and adding griddle plates to repurpose it.

My plan was to open it up, and pressure wash the shit out if. Im going to need a cleaner/degreaser as well. What do you recommend?

Im also probably going to use my M12 RA die grinder to clean up the burners and tents.

My goal is to keep it as cheap as possible so that we can see if we even like it/use it. I found Lodge griddle trays on Amazon for $34, so for $78 Ill have a "griddle"

If the project fails, I'll just junk it all but the griddle trays. I can always use them on the new grill
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Oven cleaner with lye in it should make quick work of the grease. Note that chances are you are going to want to replace the burners too once you get it clean and look at what the flame is doing.

I found a lodge griddle that fits perfectly in place of the grates from my Weber Q series grill so I can switch back and forth. (This is a portable grill.)
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:47:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#2]
I think long term you would be better off buying a gas griddle from Walmart for 200 to 300. Big difference is how they manage grease.
7 Simple Griddle Recips with Only 5 Ingredients!
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Oven cleaner with lye in it should make quick work of the grease. Note that chances are you are going to want to replace the burners too once you get it clean and look at what the flame is doing.

I found a lodge griddle that fits perfectly in place of the grates from my Weber Q series grill so I can switch back and forth. (This is a portable grill.)
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
I think long term you would be better off buying a gas griddle from Walmart for 200 to 300. Big difference is how they manage grease.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2trppXIC1UA
View Quote

Agreed, but I want to see if we even like or use it much before committing. Plus Im being "sustainable" and green by repurposing
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I've "refurbished" several gas grills over the years.  The bodies and frames were solid, however the burner assemblies wore out and required replacing.  The generic drop-ins would work for a season, then would burn up.  I've been getting tired of replacing burners, and figure the next grill I refurb will be switched over to charcoal.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The burners and tents are in decent condition on this one, just the grates are beyond done.

I guess Im more or less looking at what cleaner/degreaser can I use on the whole interior that is safe to cook with after its cleaned?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I like ZEP oven and grill cleaner from Menards. I douche the shit out of it and leave it sit until it is almost dry and crusty. I then douche the shit out of it again and let that soak into the crusty stuff for a few minutes, and power wash the shit out of it. Keeps my Weber Q looking new after 8 years. Once I get it rinsed off real good I will fire up the grill and let it burn off any residue. Never had an issue so far.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks! Thats the kind of thing I was looking for, local Ace has it.

Plan is to soak the grill a time or 2, let the Zep and pressure washer do most of the work, and then hand jive whats left, if anything
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top