Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2024 12:09:43 PM EDT
Has anyone had any luck with repairing the upright 4x4s on a wood fence? The board fence between my neighbor's property and mine is very wobbly; some of the uprights have rotted and need replacing.
There are lots of DIY post replacement parts. How well do they work?
E-Z Mender:

Masterpost:

Fix-a-Fence

I've been looking at these. Are there other, better solutions?

My neighbor's wife approached me yesterday about fixing the fence. He wanted permission to enter my property* to survey the fence; it sounds like he wants to do the job himself.

*This was the same woman whose monstrous dachshunds tried to eat my wife a few years ago; it's nice to know we're on speaking terms now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Everytime I have done this, it has been to dig out and remove the old post / concrete.  Drop in and concrete a 9' galvanized thick wall post.  Once the concrete is set up enough, add fence ties and lag in the fence horizontals, cap the post.

2-3/8 in. x 2-3/8 in. x 9 ft. 13-Gauge Galvanized Fence Post

PGT2 12-Gauge Pipe Grip Tie for 2 in. Pipe (2-3/8 in. Outside Diameter)

1/4 in. x 1 in. Hex Galvanized Lag Screw (25-Pack)

Chain Link Fence 2-3/8 in. Aluminum Post Cap
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Just replace the post.  You'll have to dig out the old concrete anyway to stick any of those in the ground.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:57:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IdahoPCCinc] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By youngandfree:
Just replace the post.  You'll have to dig out the old concrete anyway to stick any of those in the ground.
View Quote

This.

Replace wood posts with new pressure treated lumber.

Or replace wood  posts with steel tubing.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Odds are very good that if ‘some parts are wobbly’ then every post is on its way out. If the rest is is good shape (stringers and boards) then I’d just suck it up and do all the posts.  Means taking down the panels carefully and resetting posts but I’d rather do it once and know it’s solid. Likely find at least a few stringers on their way out too but that’s life with wood fences.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve used some of those EZ mender things, and they work well if it isn’t a row of posts that need fixing. Just one and it’s perfect.
The best thing I’ve found is replacing 4x4 posts with 4x6 posts. They have more meat for cross boards to nail into and are resistant to twisting. Highly recommend that, especially if you’re going through the trouble of digging out existing concrete.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top