Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/28/2024 2:28:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jonny762]
Didn't start saving until too late, didn't get while the gettin' was good. Live alone. Found a fairly nice place three years ago for $650. Lease is up at the end of next month.

Sometime last year began a noticeable influx of what the left likes to call "migrants", which is growing by the month. They seem to mostly have Florida id's. I know this because they like to leave all their personal shit lying around the laundry room, which has become a defacto social hall and is usually filled with four or five adults and about a dozen very young children at any time of the day or night. I don't know what language they're speaking, but they either don't understand English or pretend not to if you try to talk to them.

There was never an issue with any type of crime here that I know of, but that's changing too. We had so many car break-ins and domestics in the past six months that the cops now like to sit at the entrance to the parking lot at night and run speed, just to keep an eye on things.

We have three dumpsters for the building, which are constantly full past capacity, to the point that bags of trash just pile up around them like a fucking landfill spilling food, alcohol, dirty diapers, etc. everywhere.

The pool, which was the best part of living here, became overrun with so many kids from dawn until dusk that it became impossible to enjoy. They filled it in a few months back and now we have a nice big dirt courtyard instead. Oh, and on my lease renewal application I found out they're increasing the rent another $75/month, up from the $35 bump the last two years.

So now I have 30 days to find a new place. I go online and filter under $800, which is about my price point, and there's basically nothing. I don't know how these people are even getting approved or affording to live here, since none of them seem to have cars or go to work.

I know, go be poor somewhere else. I just had to vent.

TLDR: Today is my one day off, it's 85 degrees, and instead of sitting out by the pool enjoying a drink with civilized people I'm sitting inside looking for a new place to live, listening to my new neighbors jabber in whatever Godforsaken language they speak while gaggles of feral kids screech outside and the entire building reeks of what I can only assume is the same long pig stew they cook from morning until night every day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The massive third world cooking operations in cramped apartments sound like a disaster waiting to happen
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
To them this is paradise.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Rent that cheap is sure to attract people that don't value their own neighborhood.  

You're probably seeing FL IDs due to our state making it increasingly difficult to exist here illegally.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:
The massive third world cooking operations in cramped apartments sound like a disaster waiting to happen
View Quote
We have four units per entrance, without looking I'm guessing 32 total per building. At about 10am they ALL start reeking of whatever weird, unidentifiable shit these people like to eat.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Fairly nice / 650 a month...what lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Twitchy:
Rent that cheap is sure to attract people that don't value their own neighborhood.  

You're probably seeing FL IDs due to our state making it increasingly difficult to exist here illegally.

View Quote
It blows my mind that $825 is considered cheap for rent now. Mind you, when I moved in three years ago this was one of the higher end places in town at $650 (advertised as "luxury apartment homes"). I didn't think I'd have any issue finding another place under $800, but times they are a-changin' I guess.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By burnka871:
Fairly nice / 650 a month...what lol
View Quote
The place I moved out of before here was $425 for a one bedroom, on the college campus. Other than being tiny, it was decent. Those same apartments are advertised at $650 now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:43:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#8]
Damn Ohio is cheap.

Here is a low-mid level apartment in Portland, OR
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jonny762:
Didn't start saving until too late, didn't get while the gettin' was good. Live alone. Found a fairly nice place three years ago for $650. Lease is up at the end of next month.

Sometime last year began a noticeable influx of what the left likes to call "migrants", which is growing by the month. They seem to mostly have Florida id's. I know this because they like to leave all their personal shit lying around the laundry room, which has become a defacto social hall and is usually filled with four or five adults and about a dozen very young children at any time of the day or night. I don't know what language they're speaking, but they either don't understand English or pretend not to if you try to talk to them.

There was never an issue with any type of crime here that I know of, but that's changing too. We had so many car break-ins and domestics in the past six months that the cops now like to sit at the entrance to the parking lot at night and run speed, just to keep an eye on things.

We have three dumpsters for the building, which are constantly full past capacity, to the point that bags of trash just pile up around them like a fucking landfill spilling food, alcohol, dirty diapers, etc. everywhere.

The pool, which was the best part of living here, became overrun with so many kids from dawn until dusk that it became impossible to enjoy. They filled it in a few months back and now we have a nice big dirt courtyard instead. Oh, and on my lease renewal application I found out they're increasing the rent another $75/month, up from the $35 bump the last two years.

So now I have 30 days to find a new place. I go online and filter under $800, which is about my price point, and there's basically nothing. I don't know how these people are even getting approved or affording to live here, since none of them seem to have cars or go to work.

I know, go be poor somewhere else. I just had to vent.

TLDR: Today is my one day off, it's 85 degrees, and instead of sitting out by the pool enjoying a drink with civilized people I'm sitting inside looking for a new place to live, listening to my new neighbors jabber in whatever Godforsaken language they speak while gaggles of feral kids screech outside and the entire building reeks of what I can only assume is the same long pig stew they cook from morning until night every day.
View Quote

Columbus?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
OH is cheap.

a shitty studio in a bad part of town in montucky is at least $1300/mo.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DaveM4K:

Columbus?
View Quote
North, about 45 min south of Toledo.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#12]
You want nice, start thinking $2k plus
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#13]

The same derision was expressed towards residents of lower Manhatten in the early part of the last century.

Same as it ever was.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:47:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Giltweasel] [#14]
Recall the first place my wife moved into after her parents house was $350/month.

But we had to deep clean the oven, the fridge, and it took a few months to get the stains out of the bathtub.

The 3br2ba apartment we moved out of in 2005 to the $588 mortgage house cost $550 a month.

Still paying $588/mo. on that mortgage. There is no reason to pay it off as it keeps our credit soaring for cheap.  It's not a nice place but it is 5+ acres in a nicely wooded area.

Kids that are bitching about costs today need to adjust their standards.

My 25 year old son doesn't want to pay to move out, but he's talking about what I'd consider a really nice place. He could stand to slum for awhile and still pay less than $650 a month.

He isn't married. His girlfriend is still in school for two more years. He could be banking a good bit of cash saving for the down payment on a cheap starter home, but he has a standard of living to maintain.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Damn Ohio is cheap.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/apartments_JPG-3200472.JPG
View Quote
These are imo the nicest apartments in town, for reference.

https://www.apartments.com/the-townhomes-of-liberty-ridge-findlay-oh/96r66n7/

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I've noticed in my AO that they fail to discipline their kids too. In Walmart they run amuck, block the aisle and scream, the adults act like nothing is happening.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:
Recall the first place my wife moved into after her parents house was $350/month.

But we had to deep clean the oven, the fridge, and it took a few months to get the stains out of the bathtub.
View Quote
Mine was a one bedroom with my girlfriend at the time on Clifton Boulevard in west Cleveland. Nice area too. It was iirc $425/month and included all utilities. But this was in the early 2000's lol.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Apartment pool x kids = bathing in a warm urine solution.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm a courtesy officer at my complex (side job). It WAS a high-end complex with few problems. Federal money is getting thrown at management companies for the "lower classes" to be able to move in. That means that it's going "hoodrat". Larger management companies are buying out smaller, local companies, and their personnel are only interested in collecting the rent rather than maintaining the complex and dealing with resident issues. Expect rental life to become even more expensive and less "safe".  My experience isn't unique, lots of other officers I know are seeing the same thing in THEIR complexes. We've even joked about moving en masse into a complex for group safety and quality of life.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

The same derision was expressed towards residents of lower Manhatten in the early part of the last century.

Same as it ever was.
View Quote

were they all on welfare or where they working in sweatshops?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#21]
What you described is the reason I've had an hour commute both ways my whole working life.
A single wide on a half acre looks pretty good from the right perspective.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]
You can partially thank the Supreme Court, Democrats and to a lessor degree Ron Reagan for this. Allowing free education, welfare, EBT and public services meant for US citizens will bring them in. Its too bad you couldn't get a room mate or find a friend to rent you a room or ADU for what you can afford.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Damn Ohio is cheap.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/apartments_JPG-3200472.JPG

Damn that sucks.

1. Move out of Findlay
2. Get another Job/Second job
3. Get a roommate
4. Slum it.
5. Or all the Above

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
What you described is the reason I've had an hour commute both ways my whole working life.
A single wide on a half acre looks pretty good from the right perspective.
View Quote
single wide on a half acre in montucky is still like $500k.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By heavymetal762:
I'm a courtesy officer at my complex (side job). It WAS a high-end complex with few problems. Federal money is getting thrown at management companies for the "lower classes" to be able to move in. That means that it's going "hoodrat". Larger management companies are buying out smaller, local companies, and their personnel are only interested in collecting the rent rather than maintaining the complex and dealing with resident issues. Expect rental life to become even more expensive and less "safe".  My experience isn't unique, lots of other officers I know are seeing the same thing in THEIR complexes. We've even joked about moving en masse into a complex for group safety and quality of life.
View Quote
I've been suspicious that something was going on with management. The long time leasing agent who I signed with left right about when all this started going down (the apartment newsletter just said she retired), but I was wondering if some government fuckery wasn't involved. The maintenance team got changed out too, and the new guys give some very low rent vibes. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd kill to pay 800/mo in rent.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#27]
How can they afford it? They can't. Most units are probably set aside for section 8. Guaranteed check once a month to the landlord courtesy of the U.S government.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#28]
If you are single, with employable skills, I’d relocate to a more rural / urban environment. Like someone said, a single wide on a little land would be better.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Sucks to hear that, OP. The only thing I can offer is a "Good Luck" tossed your way. I hope you make it to somewhere better and that it doesn't cost you too much more.

My neighborhood is slowly turning into the "hood". More and more frequently I hear loud-ass stereos with subs shaking my windows and pictures on the walls. I don't mind it so much during the day, but at night, after midnight, is when it's really bad. Hell, it seems even louder, then.

I really wish I could afford to buy some land and build a decent house. My house is paid for (as is my truck), so thankfully I don't have that big bill every month. But I can't get enough for it to even pay for half the cost of any decent piece of land. And with my credit still not where I need it to be (my fault, but working on it), any interest rate I'd get would be in the "HOLY SHIT!" category.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DaveM4K:

Damn that sucks.

1. Move out of Findlay
2. Get another Job/Second job
3. Get a roommate
4. Slum it.
5. Or all the Above

View Quote
6) purchase 1987 toyota van and pahk down by the river

???

profit

@Scalped
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:
How can they afford it? They can't. Most units are probably set aside for section 8. Guaranteed check once a month to the landlord courtesy of the U.S government.
View Quote
I should actually call and ask if they take metro. I know three years ago they most definitely did not, it was on the application in capital letters.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#32]
I know the pain OP.

Singe dad, missed the boat on getting a house when it was attainable.

I'm going at it with my apartment manager trying to get him to let me out of the lease due to ever increasing roach issues.  This complex is 30 years old. I've lived here 5 years and the rent has doubled to $1600 in that time frame.

The quality of neighbors has gone way down.  I make good money, so I can stick it out, but how are these bums paying these prices?  

The only good thing is there's so many little kids now, my son wants nothing more than to go out and ride his bike and play with all the other kids in the complex...and I have to be very careful of which kids I let him hang out with.

This kid kept stealing his bike.  My son would come up stairs crying because said kid disappeared with his bike.  I had some words with my kid about staying away from a particular class of people and went down stairs to track his bike down.  I see the bastard zipping around on my kids bike and wait for him to come around the corner.  "Hey bro,  Stop stealing my kid's bike, please."  "Go ask your parents to buy you your own bike."

20 minutes later, a large woman is banging on my door telling me "f this and fu, we have a bike but the tires are flat!"

Holy shit, how is that my problem and why does that justify your little goblin stealing my kids bike?  I didn't say that, there's no reason to argue with these types of entitled assholes.

I told her through the door "Nobody is home, have a good night"
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
If you are single, with employable skills, I'd relocate to a more rural / urban environment. Like someone said, a single wide on a little land would be better.
View Quote
I really need to do some homework and look into that. This area, outside of town, gets rural pretty quick in most directions. I'd have zero problem with a trailer in the middle of nowhere, if I thought I could afford the initial cost.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I really need to do some homework and look into that. This area, outside of town, gets rural pretty quick in most directions. I'd have zero problem with a trailer in the middle of nowhere, if I thought I could afford the initial cost.
View Quote
ain't no shame in bein' poor, yo.

Whiskey Myers - Trailer We Call Home (Acoustic)

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
single wide on a half acre in montucky is still like $500k.
View Quote

You can find them in my area for 150ish it's too much but what's a man going to do.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:
View Quote

They live multiple families to an apartment. It becomes affordable quickly with 3-6 incomes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:
I know the pain OP.

Singe dad, missed the boat on getting a house when it was attainable.

I'm going at it with my apartment manager trying to get him to let me out of the lease due to ever increasing roach issues.  This complex is 30 years old. I've lived here 5 years and the rent has doubled to $1600 in that time frame.

The quality of neighbors has gone way down.  I make good money, so I can stick it out, but how are these bums paying these prices?  

The only good thing is there's so many little kids now, my son wants nothing more than to go out and ride his bike and play with all the other kids in the complex...and I have to be very careful of which kids I let him hang out with.

This kid kept stealing his bike.  My son would come up stairs crying because said kid disappeared with his bike.  I had some words with my kid about staying away from a particular class of people and went down stairs to track his bike down.  I see the bastard zipping around on my kids bike and wait for him to come around the corner.  "Hey bro,  Stop stealing my kid's bike, please."  "Go ask your parents to buy you your own bike."

20 minutes later, a large woman is banging on my door telling me "f this and fu, we have a bike but the tires are flat!"

Holy shit, how is that my problem and why does that justify your little goblin stealing my kids bike?  I didn't say that, there's no reason to argue with these types of entitled assholes.

I told her through the door "Nobody is home, have a good night"
View Quote
brutal.

i too have noticed tons of people with kids moving into rentals in the last couple years.

renters went from single degenerates who travel for work like me and old people waiting to die to the lower middle class to middle class with a shitload of kids.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:

You can find them in my area for 150ish it's too much but what's a man going to do.
View Quote
agreed, $150k is too much.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

@jonny762

SCSC member?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

Same as it ever was.
View Quote

Oh please. My Italian immigrant family came LEGALLY through Ellis Island.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

@jonny762

SCSC member?
View Quote
Brother, I had to Google that.. what's it all about?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:34:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tep0583] [#42]
View Quote

Ah, OK, I know about where you are.

If it's the place I'm thinking of, it's not somewhere I'd willingly live in.

ETA - I see it IS Findley. Could be Fotroit, but I doubt Findley is all the much better.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Elections have consequences
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#44]
OH is cheap.

a shitty studio in a bad part of town in montucky is at least $1300/mo.
View Quote

I own a 3 bed, 1 bath, 1 car garage north of Grand and South of Poly in Billings that is rented through a property management company. My renters have always been great, low maintenance and on time for years, so I haven’t adjusted the rent upwards. $1035 includes pets.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Brother, I had to Google that.. what's it all about?
View Quote

Sandusky County Sportsman's Club II. One of the best clubs in the area.

https://scsclub.org/
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:

The 3br2ba apartment we moved out of in 2005 to the $588 mortgage house cost $550 a month.

Still paying $588/mo. on that mortgage. There is no reason to pay it off as it keeps our credit soaring for cheap.  It's not a nice place but it is 5+ acres in a nicely wooded area.

Kids that are bitching about costs today need to adjust their standards.

My 25 year old son doesn't want to pay to move out, but he's talking about what I'd consider a really nice place. He could stand to slum for awhile and still pay less than $650 a month.

He isn't married. His girlfriend is still in school for two more years. He could be banking a good bit of cash saving for the down payment on a cheap starter home, but he has a standard of living to maintain.
View Quote

Problem is you just think he’s too picky.

Our kids are fucked and any of us parents who don’t own a home are double fucked. You’re just to ignorant to see it because you already have yours and can easily say some boomer type shit like this. I get you’re probably not a boomer but you sound so god damn out of touch with the current reality it makes you seem like a boomer.

Consider yourself lucky. Unbelievably lucky. To help your son you should give him your house, with mortgage, and you go move into a shitty neighborhood for 5x the price. Then, maybe then, you’ll realize any hope of chance these kids ever had is now long gone. That ship has fucking sailed.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By tep0583:

Ah, OK, I know about where you are.

If it's the place I'm thinking of, it's not somewhere I'd willingly live in.

ETA - I see it IS Findley. Could be Fotroit, but I doubt Findley is all the much better.

View Quote
It's not great. I'm here because of work, and I love my job and coworkers, but sans that I'd be just about anywhere else. Except maybe Detroit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#48]
brutal.

i too have noticed tons of people with kids moving into rentals in the last couple years.

renters went from single degenerates who travel for work like me and old people waiting to die to the lower middle class to middle class with a shitload of kids.
View Quote

I’m a single degenerate renter. I don’t travel for work though. My rent is $975.00 per month. Which for my area is a fucken steal.

My neighbors are all illegals but it’s cheap. That allows me to spend my money on  various irresponsible things like flying airplanes and going to Las Vegas a few times a year.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Man, it's crazy reading shit like this.

Worked la migra in SW regions. Our site used to love granting illegals travel auth because our caseload was so fucking high. Not to mention the IJ judges were backlogged like a constipated lumber jack. Generic "subjects" that didn't speak a lick of English and had no professional skills going to Florida, Tennessee.. I remember thinking to myself good luck to those that live there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top