Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
We should also talk about what packs y'all are using. I'm wanting to pick up something better than what I've currently got...
View Quote

Still running a LAPG Atlas of some sort for most of what I do. The layout is okay, it's durable, holds everything I could want, and carries well.

I have an ALICE pack w some mods, one of the large LAPG hiking packs that I actually like a lot, I just wish the interior fabric was better, and I have a Maxpedition Tiburon 34L which is very good.

I think the best running deal right now, if you can still find them, are some of the Mystery Ranch surplus packs (USMC). Not cheap, but versatile and durable.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Eberlestock ended up being a pretty popular choice with the IL crew. Their suspension system is as good as anything I've tried and they have a variety of models/sizes depending on your needs. I settled on the GS2, can pack for 3 days with a some use of external straps and it's not so huge that you're running at 50% full most of the time.

Attachment Attached File

It's seen some hard use and still looks pretty much new.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Redbirdxx:
Eberlestock ended up being a pretty popular choice with the IL crew. Their suspension system is as good as anything I've tried and they have a variety of models/sizes depending on your needs. I settled on the GS2, can pack for 3 days with a some use of external straps and it's not so huge that you're running at 50% full most of the time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/461668/eberlestock_jpg-3152977.JPG

View Quote

I also have used an eberlestock specifically the gunslinger ii.

However I had a strap fail 2 hikes ago which suprised me.  

It may have been because there was a lot of downhill sprinting, but it's off to eberlestock to be fixed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

I also have used an eberlestock specifically the gunslinger ii.

However I had a strap fail 2 hikes ago which suprised me.  

It may have been because there was a lot of downhill sprinting, but it's off to eberlestock to be fixed.
View Quote

Damn, where did it fail?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Damn, where did it fail?
View Quote

Lower right strap.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:59:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Redbirdxx] [#6]
So it's just too stretched out/damaged to hold in the buckle anymore?

Odd failure, just checked mine and it's solid, but I appreciate the heads up, will keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
So it's just too stretched out/damaged to hold in the buckle anymore?

Odd failure, just checked mine and it's solid, but I appreciate the heads up, will keep an eye on it.
View Quote

Buckles fine I wish I had a better photo but the strap came clean off.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't see any fat people, are you sure those were ARFCOMMERS?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
I don't see any fat people, are you sure those were ARFCOMMERS?
View Quote

They left me out of the photos.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't go and play, but this sounds awesome.
Bump for more.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:

Still running a LAPG Atlas of some sort for most of what I do. The layout is okay, it's durable, holds everything I could want, and carries well.

I have an ALICE pack w some mods, one of the large LAPG hiking packs that I actually like a lot, I just wish the interior fabric was better, and I have a Maxpedition Tiburon 34L which is very good.

I think the best running deal right now, if you can still find them, are some of the Mystery Ranch surplus packs (USMC). Not cheap, but versatile and durable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:
We should also talk about what packs y'all are using. I'm wanting to pick up something better than what I've currently got...

Used an LAPG pack (unknown model, not on LAPG site) last year & up until these last few months. Wasn't purchased to ruck, per se, but rather to hike into Kennedy Meadows for a multi-nighter. It worked but there's better options out there.
Pros:
-I already had it
-Has a bladder pocket (lol)
Cons:
-Narrow pocket
-Frame is internal, which is basically a hard/flexible plastic-ish 1/16" thick piece that spans the whole pack behind the harness
-hip belt isn't very robust (width, length around waist, padding

Picked up a surplus 60L (I think?) pack and have rucked a few times with that.
Pros:
-Huge pocket
-External plastic frame that everything weaves through to attach it
Cons:
-No bladder pocket
-After a 6.5m ruck last weekend it gave my lower back some raw soars horizontally (sorta) along my waistline. Burned when showering and have since scabbed up.

Taking a week or two to allow that to heal up...

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Is the GS2 the Gunslinger II? Not to sound dumb, but a "GS2" isn't on their site.

I've looked at that pack a few times and like the rifle scabbard. Positive reviews from y'all helps.

Saw notcalifornialegal's post below about the breakage. That sucks...
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Is the GS2 the Gunslinger II? Not to sound dumb, but a "GS2" isn't on their site.

I've looked at that pack a few times and like the rifle scabbard. Positive reviews from y'all helps.

Saw notcalifornialegal's post below about the breakage. That sucks...
View Quote

Yes, apologies for the unsanctioned abbreviation, gunslinger II.

I'm honestly no clear on what happened to his. The strap looks kinda jacked up but other than that it just looks unbuckled?

We have at least 3 guys here in IL using that exact model with no complaints. I log all my hikes via Garmin and mine has gone 300+ miles with 35-60lbs in it, no significant signs of wear. Boat training, winter, rain, it's seen some shit.

One thing I will say, the scabbard is nice, but if you use it for a gun you're going to have to put the water bladder in the main compartment, which is a mild PITA. That or run it external.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Is the packing list coming out this month?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Is the packing list coming out this month?
View Quote

This will get you started. All registered participants will receive an email prior to the event covering any changes or additions to this list.  

Minimum Gear List:
• rifle (Minimum 5.45mm caliber strongly recommended, optics and suppressors OK).
• Rifle magazines (x5 w/20rnd minimum capacity OR a minimum of 5 magazines/strippers/en blocs sufficient to fire 100 rounds without refilling magazines).
• 150 rounds rifle ammunition (no steel core/incendiary/tracer/flame or spark producing munitions due to high fire hazard area).
• pistol or revolver (minimum .35 caliber; excepting 5.7x28mm pistols).
• sufficient pistol magazines/speed loaders to fire 40 rounds without refilling.
• 100 rounds pistol ammunition.
• assault pack/Ruck capable of carrying 45lbs (external frame strongly recommended).
• helmet (bump or ballistic). Must be worn during negotiation of rope obstacles.
• gloves.
• ear pro.
• Eye Pro.
• tarp (camouflage or earth tone).
• method of carrying at least two liters of water easily accessible (canteens/camelbaks/nalgenes).
• Separate method of carrying at least 1 additional liter of water in ruck.
• two extra pair boot socks.
• one extra pair field clothes (shirt/trousers).  
• flashlight with red lens.
• map pens.
• compass.
• map protractor.
• IFAK
• small notebook.
• pencils
• one MRE or commercial equivalent.
• Map, 1:25k scale (PDF map will be made available for printing before the event)
•E-tool/shovel/pick/digging implement.
•Knife.

Recommended/permissible additional gear:
• VHF/UHF radio w/APRS capability OR radio and APRS app on smart device. (Limited loaner radios will be available)
• magazine pouches (belt mounted/LBV/etc).
• laser range finder.
• binoculars.
• wet weather gear.
• Insect repellant.
• NVGs.
• Gas mask.
•Various colored glow sticks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]
FYI for everyone: strongly suggest working out carpools from town (or your home state, wherever).  As of last week there was very little snow, but the gumbo-mud is very, very present; barely made it to the cabin in my 4Runner (only the last half-mile of road is really sketch.) and couldn't drive around to the well (and I have off-roading tires on it.) Definitely, definitely be prepared for mud, lol

*I can drive participants in from town the day before if you ask and give me enough warning, and preferably make it more than one person for me to pick up - can use the truck with plenty of room for gear in the back.

FYI, mostly for staff: the fridge is hard down, so bring ice in coolers, etc., might not be able to keep things for you in the fridge/freezer this time.
I might have the fridge fixed or replaced by then, but no guarantees.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a big fan of absorption fridges for that reason - they can run off of lpg (+12 v source for igniter/control board), most also have a 120VAC mode, they're silent, no moving parts. Aside from corrosion or not being kept level, they last forever.

@Jenzilla - lmk the problem and if it's not fixed by the time I'm leaving here I might bring the parts to fix it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#19]
IS $10 the only cost?  My buddies and I think it sounds too good to be true......

looks like a blast, Ive got 4 who will sign up as long as we're sure theres no hidden cost.  

thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:43:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#20]
Edit
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TedKac:
IS $10 the only cost?  My buddies and I think it sounds too good to be true......

looks like a blast, Ive got 4 who will sign up as long as we're sure theres no hidden cost.  

thanks
View Quote

Yes. $10 entry fee is the total cost for participation in the event.

Travel, food, gear will all need to be figured in on your end, but no one is going to ask you for more money when you get there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#22]
thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#23]

thanks
View Quote

Hidden cost? Blood, sweat, and malnutrition. Lasting soreness. And then missing it, and not being able to wait to do it again.

It's a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#24]
also, can we register under fake names then sign a release onsite?  on of our team mates is a youtube personality / creator and the rest of us dont want to be doxxed doing it with him.  

thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#25]
also, can we register under fake names then sign a release onsite?  on of our team mates is a youtube personality / creator and the rest of us dont want to be doxxed doing it with him.  

thanks
View Quote

Ben will have final say on that, but I don't see an issue with it. As long as we have accurate information on the paperwork at the event, you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Ben will have final say on that, but I don't see an issue with it. As long as we have accurate information on the paperwork at the event, you should be good to go.
View Quote

Is Ben here?  email or some way to reach him?  its quite a drive for us to be told no.  

thanks for the help though
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Is Ben here?  email or some way to reach him?  its quite a drive for us to be told no.  

thanks for the help though
View Quote

You're good dude. I've registered under Rusty Shackleford for basically everything.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#28]

thanks
View Quote

BLIPPIE?!!!¡¡   Can I get an autograph?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Ben will show up in this thread sooner or later if you'd prefer to have confirmation from him. He's a busy dude so I fill in where I can. I'm also the guy who takes care of the insurance, so I'm qualified to speak on the matter.  

Bottom line is there's zero downside to you registering now under whatever name you want. If that needs tweaking between now and the event, we'll get it done before you start driving. Just make sure we have good contacts for each person registering.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#30]

You're good dude. I've registered under Rusty Shackleford for basically everything.
View Quote

That's not your real name? Motherfucker...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Usernames:

BLIPPIE?!!!¡¡   Can I get an autograph?
View Quote

Shhhhhh it was a surprise.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#32]
great to hear, thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Ben will show up in this thread sooner or later if you'd prefer to have confirmation from him. He's a busy dude so I fill in where I can. I'm also the guy who takes care of the insurance, so I'm qualified to speak on the matter.  

Bottom line is there's zero downside to you registering now under whatever name you want. If that needs tweaking between now and the event, we'll get it done before you start driving. Just make sure we have good contacts for each person registering.
View Quote

I thought you had some fancy title like Chairman of the Board?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's actually Rustey Shackleford.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:19:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redbirdxx] [#35]

I thought you had some fancy title like Chairman of the Board?
View Quote

LOL, that'd be Ben. Some paperwork I've done for the APC required a title along with my signature, so I dubbed myself "operations manager". But you can still call me Tim.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#36]
I wanna go to this so bad

I read over the gear list, did a mental check like I am going, and it bummed me out. I could be ready tomorrow.

But alas, my wife will be delivering a child any time in late May.

I have to be here for that. We live over an hour away from the hospital and I just can't not be around if she decides to go into labor.

I swear though, on my life, that I am coming to the next one. In the meantime, I'm committing to hitting it hard all year here in CO so I can be ready for the '25 Warfighter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:38:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#37]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
I wanna go to this so bad

I read over the gear list, did a mental check like I am going, and it bummed me out. I could be ready tomorrow.

But alas, my wife will be delivering a child any time in late May.

I have to be here for that. We live over an hour away from the hospital and I just can't not be around if she decides to go into labor.

I swear though, on my life, that I am coming to the next one. In the meantime, I'm committing to hitting it hard all year here in CO so I can be ready for the '25 Warfighter.
View Quote

Well the weekend before we're having a "warfighter prep" course where we do land nav. Events going up tonight.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Well the weekend before we're having a "warfighter prep" course where we do land nav. Events going up tonight.

View Quote

Might be too close to due date still, but tag me. I'll look into it.

Same spot as last time? Or up in MT?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:

Might be too close to due date still, but tag me. I'll look into it.

Same spot as last time? Or up in MT?
View Quote

Same spot as last time.

I'm lazy and don't want to set new points.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Same spot as last time.

I'm lazy and don't want to set new points.

View Quote

LOL well that is certainly a possibility. The weekend before....

Tag me man. I may be able to help set up this time too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:19:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I need to stop having kids.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:
I need to stop having kids.
View Quote

Keep making Americans.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#45]

thanks
View Quote

Always bring a couple extra dollars incase someone has made cool stickers at COLA/APC stuffs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:

Always bring a couple extra dollars incase someone has made cool stickers at COLA/APC stuffs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123862/IMG_0003_jpeg-3172154.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#47]

I still have a few walrus patches left.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#49]

YES
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#50]

YES
View Quote

I was referring specifically to the ones Dave posted, which are gone. But if you want stickers, post #10

Stickers available here.

I will probably have more of the logo transfer stickers at Warfighter.
Page / 7
Top Top