Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2024 4:59:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet Canon is furious. Red is the only other Camera company that has licensed the RF mount. This means Nikon will get access to the RF mount technology.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't follow this  but   I think they used to use  the EF mount as well
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Loong time nikon guy here.

I never considered Nikon for video work; that's always been canon.

Wonder what caused them to make this move?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Woah..
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:27:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By high_order1:

View Quote

If I understand things correctly, I think Nikon lost a patent lawsuit to Red over internal RAW recording.

Nikon might have just said, "fuck it, we're not paying the fine. Instead we're just going to buy your entire company".

Which is an odd thing to do, since Nikon has also been languishing in the camera market for years, and has had financial troubles. They may have had to get some investment capital in order to afford this move.

It will be damn interesting to see what happens over the next year or two with Nikon and cinema cameras in general because of this.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:39:17 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

You've answered your own question.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:

If I understand things correctly, I think Nikon lost a patent lawsuit to Red over internal RAW recording.

Nikon might have just said, "fuck it, we're not paying the fine. Instead we're just going to buy your entire company".

Which is an odd thing to do, since Nikon has also been languishing in the camera market for years, and has had financial troubles. They may have had to get some investment capital in order to afford this move.

It will be damn interesting to see what happens over the next year or two with Nikon and cinema cameras in general because of this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They didn't "lose" per say, I think it just became too costly to continue pursuing.  Nikon was 100% correct that Red's patent was ridiculous and should never have been awarded by the patent office.  I am curious to see if they release it on general principle or not... lol.  j/k they will probably defend it too like douchebags.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Times are changing.
Image industries are pushing to get/stay ahead.
Nikon is fighting to stay in the game.
And this looks like they just scored a goal!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:

Times are changing.
View Quote

I'd say they scored a 3-pointer from the 50 yard line, while stealing home...or something like that.

This will probably keep them relevant, and get them into the cinema camera world which they haven't ever really been a part of.

I'm still going to shoot on Canon and Black Magic, though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]

I'd say they scored a 3-pointer from the 50 yard line, while stealing home...or something like that.

This will probably keep them relevant, and get them into the cinema camera world which they haven't ever really been a part of.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:

Times are changing.

No doubt.

I was thinking Ggooooaaaal! Like in soccer, where the game ends after 1 score.

Red is a pretty big deal in the production business.
But kinda outta my price range.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:41:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#14]
Last I knew Red had also become a big deal in the model & fashion still photography worlds. Still photography? Yes... instead of click-click-click on motor drive, they just run short clips at 60fps or whatever, 8K resolution, and then go through the clips frame by frame to pick out the exact pose, expression, hair flying moment or whatever they want. The advances in camera sensitivity, 60fps RAW recording and lighting technology makes it all work. Makes me a little sad actually, that they've effectively taken the photographer's eye and sense for the moment out of the process.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I bet Canon is furious. Red is the only other Camera company that has licensed the RF mount. This means Nikon will get access to the RF mount technology.
View Quote

I wonder if they will change to Nikons mount, or if Nikon will start making RF lenses.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:10:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAmaazingCarl] [#17]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

I wonder if they will change to Nikons mount, or if Nikon will start making RF lenses.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

I can definitely see Nikon sneaking some Canon hardware and firmware into new Nikons / lenses,  especially Canon's nice smooth video focusing.  Changing to Z mount though would mean cinematographers would need new lenses and Nikon would have to make a whole new line of cine lenses.  That's all almost guaranteed to screw up the market for Red,  I doubt they bought Red with the intention of crashing it into the ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top