Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2023 6:05:22 PM EDT
That doesn't involve war.

Never been a big science fiction fan, but have been getting into it over the past couple of years.

Tired of reading book after book about wars between civilizations.

I enjoy reading books about colonization/exploration.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife is a voracious reader.  She's in three book clubs and loves Sci fi.  Her recommendations...

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir
Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi
Red Shirts by John Scalzi
Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Wife is a voracious reader.  She's in three book clubs and loves Sci fi.  Her recommendations...

View Quote

Except, you know, Scalzi is a horrible person.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The Martian by Andy Weir is pretty good.

I second Project Hail Mary.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

I've read Scalzi's books and enjoyed them, but haven't read Kaiju Preservation Society.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a few on colonization and exploration...............

"Star Man's Saga" and "Murder Under Another Sun" by Colin Alexander.

"Frozen Orbit" and "Escape Orbit" by Patrick Chiles.

"Antares Dawn" "Antares Passage" and "Antares Victory" by Michael McCollum

"The Voyage From Yesterday" by James Hogan.  Also his "Giant's Star" series.

"Death World" by Harry Harrison.

"We Are Bob" series by Dennis E. Taylor.

Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
It depends on what you mean by Science Fiction, but here are three options off the top of my head:  

Pandora's Star by Peter Hamilton
Variable Star by Spider Robinson (actually finishing a partial Heinlein manuscript, and did an excellent job IMHO)
Hyperion series by Dan Simmons

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Daemon  by Daniel Suarez

If you're looking for aliens & weirdness this isn't it.  It's a story of someone like steve jobs with unlimited resources deciding they're tired of corporations running the government corruption & hes going to change itThrough internet  & killing people.  Really timely with its take on fake internet news creating truth

Lots of action & all the tech in the book is scary but real. Keep hoping for a movie of it.

The bomb with just blades.... yeah that is in this book written decades before it existed. Like ender's game but better

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
Rocheworld by Robert L Forward (older series from the 90s)
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Anathem by Neal Stephenson (relatively recent)
Ringworld series by Larry Niven (older classic)
Gateway series by Frederick Pohl (older classic)

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Lots of Heinlein short stories and early pulp type books.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#12]
A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  

Some war but thats not the main thrust.  The first in a series.  The first few are great after that they trail off like most.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Saturn Run by John Sandford
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
Anathem by Neal Stephenson (relatively recent}

View Quote

I was in Denver for the GABF when Reamde came out.  Neal did a reading at a book store, Tattered covers maybe?, for it.  GOt to meet him, and his autograph.  I asked him about Anathem and was stoked that I thought there was going to be a movie about it.  Asked him about the trailer on Youtube... and he kinda laughed and was like, yeah, yeah.  that looked cool, except it was fan fiction.  Someone made a trailer for it.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWs1h5WAjWY
Great book though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
S.M. Anderson's Eden Chronicles
H. Beam Piper's Fuzzy Sapiens Series
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Mindbridge by Joe Haldeman
First expeditions to new extrasolar planets are so dangerous and so expensive that humanity sifts through its very best to become Tamers, essentially Doctorate level polymath geniuses trained as astronaut/frontiersmen.
Told as an edited history and epistolary account of a huge discovery of an alien technology.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 4:05:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1] [#17]
https://deathworlders.com/books/deathworlders/chapter-00-kevin-jenkins-experience/

9 years worth of chapters....

Whoops too much war sorry (but still awesome)...
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:
View Quote

Excellent book. I've read it a couple of times.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Keymaster4225:

I re-listen to the audiobook when I'm bored and need some easy entertainment.

I wish they'd make it into a movie, would be pretty easy to keep true to the book
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Scalzi has fallen hard off the deep end of wokeness. Older books, in particular the Old Man’s War series are phenomenal. Kaiju isn’t bad, but it’s wrapped up in all kinds of wokeness.

Probably one of his best is Fuzzy Nation, a reinterpretation of Piper’s Little Fuzzy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been really enjoying the "Omega Force" series by Joshua Dalzelle.  

Good characters and a fun story.  I found them on one of those audible sales and I'm on book 11/14 now.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Niven

Ring World, a bit dated but a fun SiFi read without "combat".
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
Niven

Ring World, a bit dated but a fun SiFi read without "combat".
View Quote

It’s one of my all time favorites.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I feel like when most people say Sci-Fi they mean Space Opera.  Space Opera is pretty good and I love it but Science Fiction is so much more expansive and allows for a lot more depth in style of story and setting.  A ton of Sci-Fi doesn't involve space or high technology in any way.

I've read some John Scalzi who people are admonishing here--and rightfully so--some of his stuff has wokeness in  itfor the sake of wokeness.  The stories themselves are pretty cool and unique.  His Dispatcher series is pretty fun and I'm doing Kaiju Preservation Society on Audible right now.  

What I recommend most though is getting anthology books with many short stories by different authors and then finding their bread and butter works from there.  In addition to popular, contemporary authors, there are a million Sci-Fi authors with stories dating back to like the 1930s that still stand up today.  Maybe look for Hugo or Nebula winning stuff and branch out from there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By bprifle:
Daemon  by Daniel Suarez

If you're looking for aliens & weirdness this isn't it.  It's a story of someone like steve jobs with unlimited resources deciding they're tired of corporations running the government corruption & hes going to change itThrough internet  & killing people.  Really timely with its take on fake internet news creating truth

Lots of action & all the tech in the book is scary but real. Keep hoping for a movie of it.

The bomb with just blades.... yeah that is in this book written decades before it existed. Like ender's game but better

View Quote

I'd love a movie too, but Hollywood would fuck it up 8 ways til Sunday. I'm a huge Daniel suarez fan. His book Influx is also terrific.

OP, have her check out the Bobiverse series by Dennis Taylor. Great books.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Lots of good ideas

I add Wool by Hugh Howley.  Not exactly space exploration, but sort of an exploration of the situation the characters are in.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Anything in Niven’s Known Space universe. Start out with Ringworld and go from there.

The Expanse is another very good series of novels.

Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds is amazingly good.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Kaiju is nothing more than a phoned-in, woke Covid “I’m stuck at home” effort.

Scalzi’s Fuzzy Nation is excellent, however.

The Old Man’s War series is good too, but it’s war themed.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Rendezvous with Rama

At first, only a few things are known about the celestial object that astronomers dub Rama. It is huge, weighing more than ten trillion tons. And it is hurtling through the solar system at inconceivable speed. Then a space probe confirms the unthinkable: Rama is no natural object. It is, incredible, an interstellar spacecraft. Space explorers and planet-bound scientists alike prepare for mankind's first encounter with alien intelligence. It will kindle their wildest dreams . . . and fan their darkest fears. For no one knows who the Ramans are or why they have come. And now the moment of rendezvous awaits just behind a Raman airlock door.

Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I just re-read "Summer's End" by Mark Van Stry.
No war, but some good action and an actually interesting story.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B62G8S59?tag=arfcom00-20

Dave Walker is a young man who managed to get an engineering degree and is off on his first job on a freighter plying a vast and diverse solar system.
But, Dave has a problem....His Elite father-in-law thinks things would be much better if Dave didn't exist and is hiring hitters to make that happen.
Dave long ago learned how to be absolutely ruthless when he was the legendary "Goose" ("Mongoose") Top Pick (ice pick) killer for a large kid gang, and Dave is not an easy target.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Snow crash is awesome. SeveNEves is also good

Both Neal Stephenson
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#32]
The ones that came to mind I have read:

the Hyperion series—sone conflict but not as a focus of the story

Leviathan Wakes

Pushing ice
Saturn run
Bobiverse

Anne McCafferys dragonriders of Pern

Seveneves was good but not sure I liked it, but has generated much thought.  Which usually means it is good.  Some of the story was lost on me.

I re read Ringworld a few years back and thought it really paled compared to when I first read it as a teenager.  I had a hard time finishing it as an adult.

40000? In gehenna—a human colony world gets abandoned and the humans learn to adapt with the native reptilian humanoids

Soldiers of paradise and the sugar rains (may be out of print)
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I just finished this series.
amazing

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#34]
That doesn't involve war.

Any recommendations?
View Quote

Have you read Octavia Butler? She's different, but in a way that I find interesting.  

Her work is sometimes called 'speculative' fiction rather than sci-fi, due to its character-centered style, however there are a lot of futuristic settings, space aliens, and the like. This short story of hers might give you an idea if you'd like her style:   https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/books/chap1/bloodchi.htm

Let me know what you think.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#35]
If you like football, check out The Rookie by Scott Sigler. Backwater, racist hick has to learn to play with aliens that more often than not would rather kill or eat him than get along.
Scott's Galactic Football League series has humans and aliens playing football in the far future. It's a lot of interspecies drama with some football action thrown in.
If you like audio books the author reads the stories himself and does a fantastic job on the voices.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RaptorFuel:
Rendezvous with Rama

At first, only a few things are known about the celestial object that astronomers dub Rama. It is huge, weighing more than ten trillion tons. And it is hurtling through the solar system at inconceivable speed. Then a space probe confirms the unthinkable: Rama is no natural object. It is, incredible, an interstellar spacecraft. Space explorers and planet-bound scientists alike prepare for mankind's first encounter with alien intelligence. It will kindle their wildest dreams . . . and fan their darkest fears. For no one knows who the Ramans are or why they have come. And now the moment of rendezvous awaits just behind a Raman airlock door.

View Quote

Just started my first read through.  It’s fantastic so far, but there’s some BS, woke foreword by Ken Liu.  The foreword almost got me to put the book away.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#37]
The Golden Age trilogy by John Wright.

It's set tens of thousands years in the future, and humanity has spread throughout the Solar System and the Oort Cloud.
It is a literal Golden Age of technology, limited governance and maximum social opportunity, cohesion and cooperation.
War is nearly forgotten.
The story follows a restless, adventurous and inventive genius who decides to build his own interstellar spacecraft and devotes decades and a gigantic fortune to creating it.
On the eve of its completion, he is suddenly beset by lawsuits and charges preventing him from leaving. Things escalate quickly until he is ostracized and shunned from society as a whole, leaving him literally unable to do business with anyone.
Separated from all his wealth, power and connections(literally no human or AI will acknowledge his existence) he goes down the rabbit hole to find out why.
Whoever or whatever is behind this has picked the wrong man, because his motto and driving ambition is "Deeds of renown without peer" and he is dead serious.
The result is a narrative that covers tens of thousands of years of human history, spans a Solar System full of incredibly huge scientific and engineering feats like planetary sized AIs, taming and farming the Sun for energy and general human near immortality.
The sheer scale and imagination is staggering.
Not a light read, as the people portrayed thousands of years from now are very different and have millennia of historical and social references that shape them and a different vocabulary to express themselves.

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 12:57:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grizz272] [#38]
Originally Posted By PigBat:
S.M. Anderson's Eden Chronicles
H. Beam Piper's Fuzzy Sapiens Series
View Quote

I second Piper's Fuzzy Sapiens
The dragons of Pern By Anne Mccafferty is a good series
Marion Zimmer Bradely's Darkover series good also.
Two more
Roberts Adams Horse clan series
Roger Zelzany's  9 princes of Amber
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 3:25:49 AM EDT
[#39]
"A talent for  war" by mcdevit, not sure of the  spelling of the name.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Non War Sci-FI, look at The Monster hunter international series by Larry Corria. Monsters, Deamons and accurate gun descriptions.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#41]
It is probably obvious suggestion, but science fiction doesn't come better than Phillip Dick. If you read the most famous stuff, just delve into some undeground and lesser known works.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Magyars:
View Quote

Excellent  book, very good sci-fi author.
I'd also recommend  some of the classics...specifically Heinlien...lots of his book have pro 2nd ammendment,  pro constitution  themes
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#43]
H.P. Lovecraft has a lot of great short stories covering exploration/colonization, along with other topics. His writing is from the turn of the century and just plain weird (his stories inspired Edgar Allen Poe), but very well written. I suggest "At the Mountains of Madness", "The Temple", and "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath"

Additionally, you could try "Eon" and "Hull Zero Three" by Greg Bear. These are more modern and spacey.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Magyars:
View Quote
Jack McDevitt.

His first book was part of the famed "Ace Science Fiction Specials" of the early 80s that gave us Neuromancer, In the Drift and Green Eyes, among others.
The Hercules Text is the story of "First Contact" with an alien species via radio telescope at the 21 cm hydrogen line "water hole". It examines all sides of the discovery, from verifying it, the skepticism, the difficulties of translating the language, the effects on society and the questions it raises for governments, religion, the sciences and the arts.
No handwavium warp drives or wormholes, just a message in a bottle floating on a sea without a shore.

Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top