Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2024 8:10:15 AM EDT
So, I have a question. Digging through scrap piles around the farm, I've come across a couple thousand board feet of 6/4 red oak lumber that looks like it was left over from framing my house. Twelve or eighteen 1.5x11.5x10' to 12' boards.

I'm looking for ideas on how to sell the lot, that don't involve Facebook or Craigslist. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You may wish to call a local cabinet shop. People know people.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NDHojo:
You may wish to call a local cabinet shop. People know people.
View Quote

Similar if there is an old school custom home builder around.  He'll know where a lot of the stuff is sourced.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 5:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I would hang on to it if there's no compelling reason to unload it.  Stuff ain't getting any cheaper these days.

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By midmo:
I would hang on to it if there's no compelling reason to unload it.  Stuff ain't getting any cheaper these days.

View Quote

Unfortunately, I've run into the proverbial compelling reason. Appreciate the thoughts, it's given me some ideas I hadn't thought of yet.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By elmidgeto:
So, I have a question. Digging through scrap piles around the farm, I've come across a couple thousand board feet of 6/4 red oak lumber that looks like it was left over from framing my house. Twelve or eighteen 1.5x11.5x10' to 12' boards.

I'm looking for ideas on how to sell the lot, that don't involve Facebook or Craigslist. Thoughts?
View Quote
Awesome find but I think your board feet estimate may be off a bit - a single 1.5x12x12 board is 18bf.

If you do any woodworking yourself then just hoard it.  If not, are there any woodworking retail stores (Woodcraft/Rockler) in your area?  They might have a bulletin board where you could post your stuff for sale.  Just be sure to measure all your boards and get a good bf number before advertising.  Here's a link to a quick calculator online:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/construction/board-foot
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MongooseKY:
Awesome find but I think your board feet estimate may be off a bit - a single 1.5x12x12 board is 18bf.

If you do any woodworking yourself then just hoard it.  If not, are there any woodworking retail stores (Woodcraft/Rockler) in your area?  They might have a bulletin board where you could post your stuff for sale.  Just be sure to measure all your boards and get a good bf number before advertising.  Here's a link to a quick calculator online:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/construction/board-foot
View Quote

I think you're right, it looks like I mushed together a couple lines scratching out the math. Should be about 4-5 hundred board feet when I get it pulled out of the scrap pile.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By elmidgeto:

I think you're right, it looks like I mushed together a couple lines scratching out the math. Should be about 4-5 hundred board feet when I get it pulled out of the scrap pile.
View Quote
That's still a nice amount of wide boards.  Around here rough 10" red oak would be around $7-8/bdft.  $10+ if you have the time/equipment to finish S4S boards.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#9]
OP cabinet shops and wood door companies will buy it. The door company will be your best bet. As long as they deal in wood doors.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Wish you were closer. :-)

Not sure of the best way to sell it outside of online posts, but it does seem like you have some value there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top