VTSAX  Vanguard Total Stock Market ...43.07%
VMGMX Vanguard Mid Cap Growth...... 12.6%
VWUAX Vanguard US Growth  .............12.6%
?????  Fidelity "US Equity"................... 11.3%
VFIAX Vanguard S&P 500 index ............8.5%
NOC  Northrop Grumman. ....................4.2%
QQQ Invesco QQQ Trust ETF ................3.9%
VUG Vanguard Growth ETF ...................3.9%

The US equity is a "Mystery Fund" from Fidelity but it's been doing well and the expense ratio is low, I THINK. It oddly doesn't have a ton of data available on it, part of a company plan.

Years to retirement: 20+
Risk Tolerance: Med-High

Tempted to trade VMGMX and VWUAX for more VFIAX
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Waldo:

It's all subjective.

Do you have a reason to hold QQQ instead of QQQM? The later has a smaller expense ratio.
View Quote

No, looks like I need to swap that over.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#4]
IMHO....

Overly complex.  Most of the funds have significant overlap for seemingly little purpose, and some have higher expense ratios, for what?

This portfolio is a mish-mash of funds holding a lot of the same equities in high percentages.  The performance of this portfolio over time is likely not going to be demonstrably different than just holding 100% VTSAX, just a little more volatile.

If you are going to trade in VMGMX and VWUAX for something, I'd pick VTSAX so you still have SOME exposure to mid and small caps.  Why would you hold BOTH VTSAX and VFIAX, when VTSAX is 80% composed of the S&P500 already?

From a different but similar recent thread, this is JL Collin's take on holding a total US equity market index fund versus an S&P500 index fund:

Unimportant:

Whether you use a total stock market index fund or an S&P 500 index fund.
Both are broad-based, low-cost funds, which is what you want.
VFIAX is Vanguard’s S&P 500 index fund and it is more commonly found in 401k type plans than VTSAX. (Or the equivalents from other firms.)
I prefer VTSAX, because it holds some mid-cap and small-cap stocks as well as the 500 largest.
But because these funds are “cap-weighted” ~80% of VTSAX is made up of the S&P 500. If you track the performance of VTSAX v. VFIAX over 20 years the difference is tiny.
Jack Bogle held VFIAX until his death. Warren Buffett has it as the investment of choice for his heirs. If it is what you have, or what you prefer, you’ll be fine with it, too.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
IMHO....

Overly complex.  Most of the funds have significant overlap for seemingly little purpose, and some have higher expense ratios, for what?
View Quote

Yes, that is kind of what I'm thinking. Need to simplify.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You have a fair bit of overlap in some of those, you might use an allocation tool and see what your actual holding percentages are... but overlap isn't the end of the world as long as you know about it and are intentionally overindexing in the areas you want to be. AA is very subjective and there is no one right answer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good to me but I'm not a fan of ETFs. Otherwise investing in the market is the key. It looks like you might be ready to invest in individual stocks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cschaeff:
I'm not a fan of ETFs.
View Quote

What is it about ETFs that you do not like?
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#9]
wow... that is a metric ton of stuff.

I'd ditch it all for FXIAX

I think you'd do better, because I've done better since I did that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By OKnativeson:
wow... that is a metric ton of stuff.

I'd ditch it all for FXIAX

I think you'd do better, because I've done better since I did that.
View Quote

The S&P500 indexes are hard to beat for set it and forget it. Simple and low fees. I would say to also throw in a growth tech fund at whatever % you want to risk but being this late in the cycle I would wait for a healthy pullback after the AI mania runs out of steam. Nothing wrong with holding some cash in 5+ % money markets also so you can buy the dips and make a little income in the meantime.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Go 50% SPY, 25% QQQ, then some side bets no greater than 5% on the names you want more exposure to, like apple, nvidia, microsoft, meta, netflix, coin, etc.  Coin I'd go in more like 2%.  Keep ~10% dry powder for opportunities and tips from whores.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#12]
You could simplify all of that into about 3 funds or less and have nearly identical performance.

I'd use this tool to do it.  Put your current portfolio in #1 and assemble a reduced complexity portfolio in #2 and then back test and analyze them side by side.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
not bad,

I would change one of the Vanguard growth funds to VIGAX (growth index)
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:31:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree with the guys above saying too complex and too much overlap.

Another advantage of condensing into a few funds is that by doing so you may be able to get into a share class with lower fees.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investor-resources-education/mutual-funds/share-classes-of-vanguard-mutual-funds
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 3:31:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#15]
Originally Posted By woodsie:
You could simplify all of that into about 3 funds or less and have nearly identical performance.

I'd use this tool to do it.  Put your current portfolio in #1 and assemble a reduced complexity portfolio in #2 and then back test and analyze them side by side.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio
View Quote

Portfolio B:

TickerName
VTSAX  65.00%
VFIAX  10.00%
NOC  5.00%
FSEBX  10.00%  (This is a stand-in for Fidelity US Equity)
QQQM  10.00%

I am keeping NOC for... reasons

This cuts down on the number of funds, the fee load, and seems to do better during times of recession at the cost of doing slightly worse during boom times.

Portfolio C:

TickerName
VTSAX  75.00%
NOC  5.00%
QQQM  20.00%

Slightly higher Sharpe and Sortino ratios.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:05:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#16]
Originally Posted By djkest:
VTSAX  Vanguard Total Stock Market ...43.07%
VMGMX Vanguard Mid Cap Growth...... 12.6%
VWUAX Vanguard US Growth  .............12.6%
?????  Fidelity "US Equity"................... 11.3%
VFIAX Vanguard S&P 500 index ............8.5%
NOC  Northrop Grumman. ....................4.2%
QQQ Invesco QQQ Trust ETF ................3.9%
VUG Vanguard Growth ETF ...................3.9%
View Quote

Did some trading this week and here we are:
VTSAX  Vanguard Total Stock Market ...43.0%
VFIAX Vanguard S&P 500 index ...........33.7%
QQQM Invesco QQQ Trust ETF ............ 10.9%
?????  Fidelity "US Equity"..................... 8.2%
NOC  Northrop Grumman. .....................4.2%

Over time the bottom 3 will increase in percentage, but the top 2 are not being contributed to anymore.
My weighted expense ratio is now 0.0487% (and would be lower without QQQM)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top