Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Orion10182011:

Where wish we'd quit pissing money away, but seriously 1 trillion is 1 million billion.  The billions for Ukraine are couch cushion change compared to the rest of .gov spending...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
The WH has chosen Print.

You do not even notice, except you believe those evil retailers are ripping us off.

More Money for Ukraine means more evil Retailers.

Where wish we'd quit pissing money away, but seriously 1 trillion is 1 million billion.  The billions for Ukraine are couch cushion change compared to the rest of .gov spending...

I believe 1 T = 1,000 B
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
They have been printing for over 40 years. Taxes aren’t meant to fund the government, they are made to punish people.
View Quote

Correct.  The federal gov't derives the majority of its power from the power to tax.  I wish the founding fathers had placed some kind of limit on taxation in the Constitution.  (Oh wait!  They did!).  The 16th amendment gave the federal government entirely too much power.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:
I'd prefer to cut spending.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:45:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Square66] [#4]
We are going to get both.

Inflation is a hidden tax.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The WH has chosen Print.
View Quote

There are 438 Federal departments and agencies.  I think we can cut.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
For moral people, FPNI.

For immoral people, printing money is ideal. It's easier than raising tax rates, especially when that doesn't sustainably raise tax revenue. Also, you don't have to worry about noncompliance. Best of all, you can lie and blame someone else.

When you raise taxes it's obvious to everyone you raised taxes. When you steal wealth through currency devaluation, you can point fingers at "greedy companies" who raised prices and most voters are too stupid to know better. Smart people realize the companies didn't raise prices - in some cases they dropped prices in real money - but each funny money dollar is worth less real money because you printed more. However, the minority of voters smart enough to recognize you caused inflation with stimulus check for FSA sitting on their couches, well, even if they change their vote they're a very small minority.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By stevelish:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/200-816.gif
View Quote

He is not wrong there is bit lot of people who after tax returns actually pay no taxes or get more back than they paid in.  This is why I think we should switch to a straight sales tax no other taxes on US citizens.  Then you pay taxes on what you consume and even the poorest of poor to the richest all pay taxes.  Only thing being exempt from taxation is food.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Cut spending, but I think taxes will need to be raised to get the debt down.

More than anything, I don't think we need to raise taxes we just need people to pay them. Nearly half this country has zero tax liability. No more free rides.

25% across the board. Zero exemptions. Zero deductions. Zero credits. It just gets taken out if your check and remitted automatically like sales tax.

It would suck but we aren't cutting spending enough to get a surplus. We haven't had a surplus in many decades even before our interest expense jumped.
View Quote

Originally Posted By inzane123:
Neither.  Pass a fucking budget and live within your means.  Cut out the bullshit pork and fund the important stuff.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Money printer go BRRRRR! Straight from the CBO.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

He is not wrong there is bit lot of people who after tax returns actually pay no taxes or get more back than they paid in.  This is why I think we should switch to a straight sales tax no other taxes on US citizens.  Then you pay taxes on what you consume and even the poorest of poor to the richest all pay taxes.  Only thing being exempt from taxation is food.
View Quote

No exemptions! Don't let the camel get its nose under the tent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Reduce welfare spending

Stop funding illegals

Increase taxes

Balance the budget

We need all four of those, at least.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
All Presidents during my long lifetime have chosen to print.  Some a little more, some a little less.  Democrats, particularly, like to raise taxes NOT to balance the budget but to punish productive people and pay their constituents.

Some particularly ignorant GDers have decried the deficit under Trump, without ackowledging that a huge part of that deficit was his tax cut.  Which means he let Americans keep more of what they earned, but it showed up as a deficit on the balance sheet.  Well boo fukken hoo.  It's a deficit to let Americans keep more of what they earn?  More deficit, please.  Lots more.

Govt. doesn't have an income problem, it has a spending problem.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Neither!  We need to reduce the size of government by 50% immediately.  Anyone here illegally has to be deported immediately - period, end of story.

That;s the only way to save this country or prevent all out collapse followed by mad max.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
Neither!  We need to reduce the size of government by 50% immediately.  Anyone here illegally has to be deported taxed immediately - period, end of story.

That;s the only way to save this country or prevent all out collapse followed by mad max.
View Quote

Tax them!  Tax the shit out of them...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JosephTurrisi:
How about neither the Gov. should cut spending and stop giving billions up on billion of dollars to other country's. I don't know people think we need to be the police of the world or support other country's or pay them to be our friends.
View Quote

Stopping foreign aid is part of cutting spending.  An infinitesimal part of it, but part of it all the same.  

We mostly owe the money to pay obligations to ourselves, and every recipient of .Gov green has a bunch of reasons for why their place in the trough is special, and shouldn't be cut.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Stopping foreign aid is part of cutting spending.  An infinitesimal part of it, but part of it all the same.  

We mostly owe the money to pay obligations to ourselves, and every recipient of .Gov green has a bunch of reasons for why their place in the trough is special, and shouldn't be cut.
View Quote

Remember the GDers bragging about their stimmy checks?  Pepperidge Farm remembers!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Neither. Quit spending so much. Just like the rest of us.

More than anything, I don't think we need to raise taxes we just need people to pay them. Nearly half this country has zero tax liability. No more free rides.

25% across the board. Zero exemptions. Zero deductions. Zero credits. It just gets taken out if your check and remitted automatically like sales tax.

It would suck but we aren't cutting spending enough to get a surplus. We haven't had a surplus in many decades even before our interest expense jumped.
View Quote

I have been all for a flat tax (or just a national sales tax) for a long time.
IRS can be 1/10th it's current size, and all criminal activity now pays their fair share (if a national sales tax).
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Unironically, yes. If you think otherwise, it’s at your own peril.
View All Quotes

Unironically, yes. If you think otherwise, it’s at your own peril.

What if he thinks he'll die before the music stops?  The irony here is I'm pretty sure the poster is around my age, and I'm pretty sure I'll have to fight for a chair sometime. Hopefully not soon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]
The only one that benefits from spending “new” money, is the first one to use it…… and that ain’t me.

So, that leaves raising taxes; or more accurately, raising the number of people that are net contributors.

Let’s go with that plan.
The old story about the 10 people that go out to lunch regularly comes to mind.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Take it one step further.

Cut programs.  Kill off department.  Close offices.  Fire staff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#20]
They are going to do both and we aren’t going to do one goddamn thing about it. Work until your death, nobody gives a fuck….
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

Remember the GDers bragging about their stimmy checks?  Pepperidge Farm remembers!
View All Quotes

That, and I remember the REEEE! every week we have a SS thread.  Where I also bring up Medicare and Medicaid.  We can also bitch about AFDC, Section 8, SNAP, etc, though lots of rugged individualist John Galt types (in their minds) that service those markets, will also start screaming.  Then there are farm subsidies, this and that DoD programs to assure regional 360-dominance for the Warfighter, etc...

All of those interests mean the status quo will continue until it can't.  I don't know when it can't.  I do know it will be messy when it does.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#22]

That, and I remember the REEEE! every week we have a SS thread.  Where I also bring up Medicare and Medicaid.  We can also bitch about AFDC, Section 8, SNAP, etc, though lots of rugged individualist John Galt types (in their minds) that service those markets, will also start screaming.  Then there are farm subsidies, this and that DoD programs to assure regional 360-dominance for the Warfighter, etc...

All of those interests mean the status quo will continue until it can't.  I don't know when it can't.  I do know it will be messy when it does.
View Quote

We recently had a thread about VA benefits.  I posted proof from the VA's very own web site that .mil are eligible for VA bennies after 24 months of continuous service.  Now, let me be clear, nobody is more appreciative than me for what our vets have done, but lifetime VA bennies for 2 years of service is unsustainable.

Everyone has a hand in the cookie jar.  That's just a fact.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Everyone has a hand in the cookie jar.  That's just a fact.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Increase tarrifs from China.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

lol fuck that
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

lol fuck that

With a chainsaw.

Cut spending. Roll out social security, anyone under 30 as of this year no longer collects, reduce SS tax to 50% of current rate over the next 75 years, maintain it for the following decades to finish paying it out. Done, easy, no massive gaping problem in the immediate future, just leave it the fuck alone.

Next up, welfare. Cut back EBT/SNAP over the next 10-20 years, little bit each year, until it’s no longer a gaping hole in the budget.

Medicare/medicaid next, along with the faggotry that is ACA…

Instead of an immediate solution, folks need to look past the end of their dick and plan further down the line. When you stretch these changes out over years and decades, you eliminate/reduce the growing pains.

The only problem is getting next year’s shithead to not fuck up the plan with commie faggotry in an attempt to buy votes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:17:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eolian] [#26]
First there needs to be a new political party that wants somekind of fiscal responsibility.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I would allow them to raise taxes IF AND ONLY IF they passed a balanced budget amendment and followed it.

The should have sent money to Ukraine ONLY AFTER reducing spending elsewhere to offset it, or raising taxes.  

That is how the people get to decide if they want to send money to Ukraine or not.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Both options are very bad ideas.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Fire 200k federal workers and cut foreign aid spending.....

What do I win, aside from someone trying to suicide me
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#30]
All the same shit. (Again I say.)
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#31]
To all of the people saying raise taxes.  Raising tax rates does not mean increased tax revenue.  Even if you do manage to actually increase tax revenue, you now have a smaller amount going towards productive purposes.  So, your problem is actually worse, not better.
The solution is to slash spending.  But, few want to hear that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:32:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#32]
The WH has chosen Print.

You do not even notice, except you believe those evil retailers are ripping us off.

View Quote

We had a balanced budget, low taxes, grump in the White House, no border problem,  and no inflation until the war started and Ukraine took up the entire 6.9 trillion federal budget

Attachment Attached File

I’m a fiscal conservative.

75% of the fed budget shouldn’t exist.

In before “sorry your girl lost”.

Fed gov shouldn’t be in a lot of stuff. We can’t afford to be funding a lot of stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#34]
The WH has chosen Print.

View Quote
Both get you to the same point. If they don't stop the spending it won't matter.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:42:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#35]
For every dollar borrowed, Politicians take an equal pay cut. For every tax they pass, they are not exempt. They get taxed at double the rate until a balanced budget is achieved.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

Take it one step further.

Cut programs.  Kill off department.  Close offices.  Fire staff.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

They paid in so they “earned” it. They will make sure to get theirs. At everyone else’s expense.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#39]
How about both
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#40]
The WH has chosen Print.

View Quote

When are you going to learn what is going on? While you are whining about a drop in a bucket far worse is taking place. This is just one of the scams. Let's not forget the billions passed to build govt. recharging stations across the country 3.5 years ago.  To date, not one has been built. You could have built the Wall of China for that.

We are being scammed $22+ Billion every year of EVs predicted 10-year lifespan.

KEY TAKEAWAYS
-A new report has exposed electric vehicles as wasteful money pits.

-Most major utilities have already conceded they won’t be able to meet the significant capacity additions needed to support proposed EV mandates.

-Subsidies and regulatory credits amount to almost $50,000 per EV over a decade. Amazingly...manufacturers are still losing tens of thousands of dollars per EV.

https://www.heritage.org/government-regulation/commentary/taxpayers-are-subsidizing-rich-electric-vehicle-owners-the-tune
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Stop giving money WE don’t have to other countries!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I am open to MMT. But then you have that big elephant in the room. Which is if deficits don't matter; and inflation and interest rates are the control mechanism of currency value... why even have taxation at all?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#43]
They have been printing for over 40 years. Taxes aren’t meant to fund the government, they are made to punish people.
View Quote

This.  It’s the government’s stick.  The carrot is all the gibs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#44]
cut services, cut spending, pay down debt.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#45]
C) Cut spending.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:

I believe 1 T = 1,000 B
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
The WH has chosen Print.

I believe 1 T = 1,000 B

Correct.  The irony is the people in government making the decisions are equally as good at math.

Thousands, millions, billions, trillions, quadrillions.  It’s coming…
https://news.yahoo.com/currency-dies-zimbabweans-5-175-quadrillion-local-dollars-153844646.html
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By inzane123:
Neither.  Pass a fucking budget and live within your means.  Cut out the bullshit pork and fund the important stuff.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/subnetfavoritelol-1033.gif

Money printer go BRRRRR! Straight from the CBO.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/200878/IMG_3867_jpeg-3201252.JPG

All we have to do is end Social Security and Medicare, and the rest of the government will run a slight surplus.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#49]
We're not going to tax or "cut spending" to get outta this.
It's concerning to see people post that don't comprehend that.

People still think our economy can be fixed by conventional means.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Countries.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top