Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2024 12:28:34 PM EDT

Had a few turns at a (what I thought was decent) F1 sim setup recently. It was addictive. I can see myself spending an hour or so each night playing after putting the kids to bed.  

What is the most cost effective way to get a setup that is "realistic" enough without dropping thousands of dollars? By realistic I mean decent force-feedback, etc. The only game console I've owned for the past 15 years is a Nintendo Switch. There is no space in my house to dedicate to a simulator, so I'd have to have a chassis that is portable and can be folded up each night.

This is more involved than buying an Xbox and connecting a steering wheel, but honestly the amount of time and money I can dedicate to it is at about that level Maybe its completely unrealistic for the time being.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:37:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: APPARITION] [#1]
I bought this

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smu-s0005

With a Logitech G29 steering steering wheel setup with shifter

Use my 83" tv, PS5, full surround sound

I don't really use it, bought it for the kids they play a lot of wreckfest and asseto corsa.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If your budget is that low, you could do something like a used wheel from eBay, maybe a dfgt could be affordable enough for you, a decent used gaming pc, you want pc not a console for your sim options.
A lot of us have made simple wooden cockpit versions of what the guy above me posted, cost of a little wood and screws.
I feel safe saying you can budget under a thousand and get a good starter setup

There are some Facebook pages for used sim gear you may want to check out as well, and budget related groups that could help you get started as well

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Similar question, but what about a flight sim? Racing would be secondary.

I'd want one that has pitch and roll though. Could it be done under $30k?

I've seen some turn key ones and they are $100k+.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Entirely depends on your budget.

I personally got a Moza R5 bundle with a clutch, handbrake, and larger wheel. No chassis, I just use it attached to my desk. I use it for drifting practice. Since I already had a PC and TV for a monitor, I think the whole setup cost me $700 at most.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lorduss:
If your budget is that low, you could do something like a used wheel from eBay, maybe a dfgt could be affordable enough for you, a decent used gaming pc, you want pc not a console for your sim options.
A lot of us have made simple wooden cockpit versions of what the guy above me posted, cost of a little wood and screws.
I feel safe saying you can budget under a thousand and get a good starter setup

There are some Facebook pages for used sim gear you may want to check out as well, and budget related groups that could help you get started as well

View Quote

I usually see folks recommend PC over console for everything, and on the periphery I understand why, but there are so many specs and options with gaming PCs and it makes me want to press the easy button and buy a console. Can a gaming PC be cheaper than a console?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fredegar:

I usually see folks recommend PC over console for everything, and on the periphery I understand why, but there are so many specs and options with gaming PCs and it makes me want to press the easy button and buy a console. Can a gaming PC be cheaper than a console?
View Quote

Lol, no
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s not possible to do cheaply. The low end stuff and cheap rigs do not give you the experience of any realism. An entry level rig with proper dd wheel, seat, and accessories will be $2k or more. Iracing is not cheap, nor is a good PC and monitor(s).

Even a quality setup for Gran Turismo is going to be a couple grand.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JG_Wentworth] [#8]
Honestly if you have no space I would not get a wheel pedals setup.

Stick with an Xbox controller

If you have a PC already , start with Assetta Corsa deluxe edition when it's on sale from Steam for under $10.. It will have all the addons
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TurboVice:
It’s not possible to do cheaply. The low end stuff and cheap rigs do not give you the experience of any realism. An entry level rig with proper dd wheel, seat, and accessories will be $2k or more. Iracing is not cheap, nor is a good PC and monitor(s).

Even a quality setup for Gran Turismo is going to be a couple grand.
View Quote

was afraid of that
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Rocked this as a kid. Someone left one in a nearby recycle center a few years back and I brought it back to life.

Sadly the eeproms don't live forever
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:26:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#11]
Just get a wheel and pedal set up for an xbox or something to start with. It won't be as good as a more expensive option with a PC, but it's not like it won't be fun either. Eventually you will want to get something proper to rig it to, but I'm sure you can figure out a cheap solution in the meantime.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sauce] [#12]
I've got a PS5 setup with GT5 and VR my kids mostly.  Logitech G923 wheel and pedals, old corbeau seat with sliders and a wooden frame setup.  The wheel and VR setup is amazing.  We spent a year playing GT5 with controllers and it was wasted. Time you spend specing and fiddling with a PC setup is also wasted.  If you have kids you don't have time or energy to be "serious" about anything.  Also, I find without getting used to it a 10 lap race makes me quite motion sick, but I'm susceptible to that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]

My setup with iRacing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought an entire set-up a couple of years back for one of my kids who luckily still uses it, probably over $4k in parts / computer and paid $1700 for it a year old and slightly used.

Many who put these rigs together use them a few times and the interest wanes, whatever you decide on I'd highly suggest FB Marketplace and to buy used.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Complete step-by-step guide to racing sims...

1. Take your CC out of your wallet
2. Light it on fire
3 ...
4. Go racing
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Podium 1
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#17]

I have this setup for my flight sim throttle, joystick and rudder pedals right now. I recently moved into a much smaller house and barely have space for the fold up stuff. My racing wheel, pedals, shifter and seat similar to the one above is in storage because there's no way I could put it in my house.

I'm going to put my yoke in the middle of the folding stand soon and joystick to the side so it will cover all the fixed wing stuff. That stand is much heavier than my dedicated helicopter control setup, so it is a pita to move. I've been doing a lot of helo flying lately.

I may break down and buy another one of those folding stands and mount my racing stuff on it, but it'll never be as good as the dedicated racing seat setup.

Sucks when you don't have room for this stuff, but I knew it was going to be a sacrifice I had to make to live on the lake instead of town.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:12:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Got_Guns] [#18]
Got a PS5
DD1 a couple wheels
V3 pedals
Gtomega prime
LG C2 4k
And a 13900k, 4070TI 32gb ram pc for ACC and Automobilista

I got the DD1 since it does both PS5 and PC. I will say that I havent turned on my PS5 since the PC was built.

Going for triples, upgrading to a simucube  wheel, buying parts now for the Pokornyi DiY wheel. Probably get a second gt omega or maybe a trakracer setup and give my kids this one. Not sure yet.

This never ends. There is another guy on here with a full motion rig.

I will say that r/simracing has a shit ton of info. Definitely more help over there than here.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Thrustmaster T300 feels pretty damn good and isn't crazy expensive. It's 100x nicer than the Logitech garbage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TurdyDingo:
Similar question, but what about a flight sim? Racing would be secondary.

I'd want one that has pitch and roll though. Could it be done under $30k?

I've seen some turn key ones and they are $100k+.
View Quote

Yeah there are some affordable motion platforms. Main thing for flight stuff is a decent vr headset and computer/gfx to run it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Yeah there are some affordable motion platforms. Main thing for flight stuff is a decent vr headset and computer/gfx to run it.
View Quote
Right now I have a 4090 and a Quest 3. It's probably a couple of years out as I have to finish some house remodel stuff. But if I could get a good deal on one, could spring for one sooner.

Do you have any suggestions or links?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixgunner45] [#22]
Racing chair,

With full pedals and wheel

With "Buttkicker" hipatic feedback device

Most importantly ... VR goggles.  Absolutely nothing beats VR with pc racing simulators.

OR, if you want to spend a little more

6 DOF motion racing chair

DOF Reality Motion Platform Still the Best Value?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:06:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#23]

Had a few turns at a (what I thought was decent) F1 sim setup recently. It was addictive. I can see myself spending an hour or so each night playing after putting the kids to bed.  

What is the most cost effective way to get a setup that is "realistic" enough without dropping thousands of dollars? By realistic I mean decent force-feedback, etc. The only game console I've owned for the past 15 years is a Nintendo Switch. There is no space in my house to dedicate to a simulator, so I'd have to have a chassis that is portable and can be folded up each night.

This is more involved than buying an Xbox and connecting a steering wheel, but honestly the amount of time and money I can dedicate to it is at about that level Maybe its completely unrealistic for the time being.
View Quote

FREX G-Force Full Motion Simulator

It's said that because of the way it makes the belts pull on you, you can feel the g-forces as if you were in the car.

eta: an example of what can be done with home setups. Def not cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TurdyDingo:
Right now I have a 4090 and a Quest 3. It's probably a couple of years out as I have to finish some house remodel stuff. But if I could get a good deal on one, could spring for one sooner.

Do you have any suggestions or links?
View Quote

No actual suggestions as I don't run one, and honestly don't see much use for it since the limits are all quite mild, and they can't simulate G obviously.

https://dofreality.com/product/flight/motion-flight-sim-6-axis-hero-h6/

https://motionforsimulators.com/

https://simulators.redbirdflight.com/technologies/motion-system

https://motionsystems.eu/
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#25]
How good (or bad?) is something like a Logitech G920 kit setup with an XBOX Series S? Looking at Marketplace, I can get into the wheel/pedals/shifter, a portable chassis and console for ~$450. Good enough to tip my toes in?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:59:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#26]

How good (or bad?) is something like a Logitech G920 kit setup with an XBOX Series S? Looking at Marketplace, I can get into the wheel/pedals/shifter, a portable chassis and console for ~$450. Good enough to tip my toes in?
View Quote

https://simracereviews.com/reviews/logitech-g920/

looks like they are like 230 on amazon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top