Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 5/11/2024 5:06:32 PM EDT
RDS are gaining popularity on Carry Pistols.

A lot of people may not get one and just use iron sights due to cost or the need to practice with it.

Some people dispute that a RDS is better than iron sights.

Have you ignored the science?  

Is it wrong and iron sights are better than a RDS for carry?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]

my opinion : do what you think is best

i don't care either way

train

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Irons will be left in the past.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 22/45, a gen 3 19, and a .40 2011 Limited division gun that don't have a dot.

Everything else does, including my carry gun.

I should get a cheap dot on my 22/45.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
My EDC is an M1911a1, .45.  I have been using one since MY 1977.
At close range I am using point/reflex shooting.

At medium range I am good with the iron sights.

At long range I am using tactical movement to get a rifle
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:12:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tct1000] [#5]
irons are dated tech, old man.  they can rust, corrode, tarnish, and oxidize.  that's why I use the stock plastic Glock sights
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I just haven't practiced with dots enough.  I've got lots of hours behind irons though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve tried a few RDS pistols that belong to friends and I’ve been telling myself for a while that I needed to give one a try. Thought about buying an RDS upper for my G17, but saw a ‘daily deal’ for a complete Dagger compact that was almost the same price.

This week I picked up the PSA Dagger compact I ordered from PSA, along with a Holosun 507.  Trying a few holsters out, definitely feels different.  Upon drawing and presenting the gun, I’m not yet aligning with the sight the way I do with iron sights. I’m looking ‘over’ the reticle, if that makes sense. I’m looking through the optic but I end up having to raise the muzzle about 1/4” to bring the reticle into view.

My EDC has been a Glock 19 gen 3 for years, but I’m noticing a definite difference in the Dagger’s grip and I really like it. Gonna set up and do some drills this weekend to see how it compares with my iron sight Glock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tct1000:
irons are dated tech, old man.  they can rust, corrode, tarnish, and oxidize.  that's why I use the stock plastic Glock sights
View Quote

The future is now

Also we've done this thread probably 20 times and nobody is convincing anybody either way.  I'm sure the usual suspects will be here shortly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a RDS at work on both pistols. I do not religiously carry one off work. I do believe they bring some real benefits to the table I do not believe they are a fix or some type of talisman that will make a shitty shooter a GM.

Bottom line select what you will use train with it like your life and the lives of those you care about depends on it because it very well may. Extremely unlikely I’ll be at your gunfight or you at mine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Except for very small pocket, ankle or deep concealment guns, put optics on everything.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve struggled to adjust to carrying a pistol with RDS, it’s just not comfortable for me & I’m always having to tug at it. For me the RDS makes little difference in sub 10-12 yard shots, but I do shoot more accurately at medium to long pistol ranges with one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried it for a while and decided it wasn't for me. Perhaps I'll revisit it sometime in the future...
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Until recently they have just been on range toys for me. Wife has had one on her Sig for several years and it works for her. I recently bought a M&P 2.0 from PSA that had one and i liked it. Liked it enough I just slapped one on my VP9-OR. I haven’t had a chance to take it to the range yet so we shall see. Irons are absolutely instinctive for me at this point but I think low light and maybe while in my truck the RDS may shine. I kind of hope I don’t like it to much for a carry piece as that would mean a lot of expense the fit the other sidearms I have in rotation
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:

The future is now

Also we've done this thread probably 20 times and nobody is convincing anybody either way.  I'm sure the usual suspects will be here shortly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I tried a rds on a G21 but just prefer irons.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#17]
RDS on my CCW

Night sights on my deep concealment gun

And

My open carry pistol (as it's usually a second weapon)
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm curious about RDS, but the cost is prohibitive, and (just thinking through this....) it seems like you have a finite amount of rounds before the RDS fails due to the force of the slide.  Not to mention different plates for different sights, just another potential failure point.  If you can afford it, more power to you.  No issues, as I am sure it helps.

I wonder about the failure rate of RDS on revolvers vs semi-auto's.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I can shoot both, I highly prefer an RMR.

All my carry pistols have one except for the beat gen 1 shield truck pistol; that’s for backup/it’s all gone to crap scenarios only.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#20]
People who rarely shoot and or don’t train to standards will tell you that irons are superior for a number of nonsensical reasons ranging from “you won’t see your sights in a gunfight” to “you don’t need one at gunfight distances” and everything in between.

These reasons are borne of ignorance and lack of training time.

A high quality optic is superior in every meaningful way to irons if you actually train with it. If you treat your gun as a talisman and want something to stick in a drawer/holster/glovebox for a year and never train with, stick with irons.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:05:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#21]
Just do it

Attachment Attached File

One of these days I'll get my 43 milled.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By z_allied_sphere:
I'm curious about RDS, but the cost is prohibitive, and (just thinking through this....) it seems like you have a finite amount of rounds before the RDS fails due to the force of the slide.  Not to mention different plates for different sights, just another potential failure point.  If you can afford it, more power to you.  No issues, as I am sure it helps.

I wonder about the failure rate of RDS on revolvers vs semi-auto's.
View Quote

If you buy a quality RDS the chances that’s going to be what causes the failure point are slim.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]
There are pros and cons to both, as you age, and especially if you require readers, the RDS has been a watershed.

I’m still more accurate with irons, consistently, but I’m wearing reader safety glasses too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Irons will be have been left in the past.
View Quote

Fixed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#25]
How do you guys prevent carbon smoking the lens?  That's been the biggest problem with my only dot gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By stgdz:
How do you guys prevent carbon smoking the lens?  That's been the biggest problem with my only dot gun.
View Quote

Are you shooting a ported/comped gun?

I’ve literally never seen this as an issue, ever.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By stgdz:
View Quote
It's only a problem at the range when you're burning through a lot of dirty training ammo. Have a lens cloth in your range bag.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#28]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

I’ve literally never seen this as an issue, ever.
View Quote

The glass on my M18 gets covered in carbon every range trip very difficult to see through...

If I'm failing at my fundamentals. The objective lens can be black for all I care and I can still hit everything I'm aiming at.

In fact, I tape up my red dot lens when training.

Attachment Attached File

Gonna look for a good carbon pic...

Kinda smoky
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#29]
When I practice defensive shooting, I do it with the understanding that over 90% of the time, it will be at distances of 6’ or less and I shoot from retention.

I also primarily carry a pocket .380 most of the year since it is hot as all get out where I live and it is the most comfortable way to carry.

The 2 months a year the weather is not hot I carry a G19.

If I still carried a full sized gun for a living, and there was an expectation of having to draw and point it at people in urban environments, I would have a RDS on the duty gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#30]

I've literally never seen this as an issue, ever.
View Quote
None of mine are ported or comped. But I have a bunch of Magtech steel case and it's pretty dirty. It starts to cloud my optics if you shoot 300+ rounds of it at a time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I wish I could use an RDS. All of the ones I've tried looked like swirling starbursts for me due to astigmatism.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:24:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#32]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:
I wish I could use an RDS. All of the ones I've tried looked like swirling starbursts for me due to astigmatism.

View Quote

Target focus or switch brands of RDS. If Trijicon starbursts to you, Holosun will be a cleaner dot, but if you target focus, it'll blur the circumference of the dot and you won't notice a starburst unless you have a BAD astigmatism or are incorrectly focusing your eyes on the target.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#33]
People who rarely shoot and or don’t train to standards will tell you that irons are superior for a number of nonsensical reasons ranging from “you won’t see your sights in a gunfight” to “you don’t need one at gunfight distances” and everything in between.

A high quality optic is superior in every meaningful way to irons if you actually train with it. If you treat your gun as a talisman and want something to stick in a drawer/holster/glovebox for a year and never train with, stick with irons.
View Quote

I agree. It is better. But the benefits for people that shoot a lot are pretty minimal.

I'll change over once I can't see the front sight anymore.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Any one who practices with a red dot is going to be faster and more accurate than with irons.

Since most don’t practice, it doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#35]
What science are we talking about here? I use RDS on my pistols, irons on my sg and revolver, and lpvo on my rifles.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I did the thing, heard the beeps, and saw the light.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Get both?

365 iron for lightest weight / deep conceal / “lazy day” CCW
365 macro with eps carry 6moa, tlr7 for “heavy” /nighttime / sketchy area  CCW
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

The glass on my M18 gets covered in carbon every range trip very difficult to see through...

If I'm failing at my fundamentals. The objective lens can be black for all I care and I can still hit everything I'm aiming at.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523928/20240511_171722_jpg-3211863.JPG

Kinda smoky
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523928/20210731_153922_jpg-3211868.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523928/20240511_171722_jpg-3211863.JPG

Kinda smoky
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523928/20210731_153922_jpg-3211868.JPG

Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

If you buy a quality RDS the chances that’s going to be what causes the failure point are slim.

Ohhh. Yeah, I’ve seen that but it’s never been an issue. Just wipe it off every couple of hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:40:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PeterPangenderPhD] [#39]

View Quote

I'm a master ranked shooter, and I can't really tell a difference between my RDS and irons times on most courses. I think it's kind of like Staccatos, there are a huge range of very mediocre to pretty decent shooters and they're all made better by dots, single action trigger pulls and gadgets. But once you get proficient with a handgun to the point they're all the same, they are all the same.

Just won GSSF as a master with nearly identical times for:

Glock 44 Rimfire
Glock 48 irons
Glock 19 irons
Glock 34 irons (2nd place)
Glock 45 irons
Glock 19 MOS SCS

I can shoot a bone stock Glock 48 as well as a Glock 19 MOS with an SCS and Glock performance trigger to the point that the outcome is more related to aberrations in my own shooting than the platform. Statistically, I can outshoot 95% of competitive shooters in categories that allow red dots while I'm shooting irons. I find irons are still more natural for me, and I don't like the way that the frame of an RDS obscures things, even when I'm target focused. Yes, I know how to use them. I can see how they would be a huge advantage for a new and middle of the pack shooter.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

View Quote

I also have astigmatism. I just aim using the starburst.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Once you get the hang of dots, they'll open up a lot of possibilities previously unobtainable.

Training with dots have also made me way better with irons.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Ohhh. Yeah, I’ve seen that but it’s never been an issue. Just wipe it off every couple of hundred rounds.
View Quote

I don't bother. 50% vision one eye, 100% in the other eye. Good to go.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:51:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 20andOUT] [#43]
Today was day one shooting drills from a holster with a dot.  I am slower by a small amount, but more accurate for now.  I shot the FBI pistol qual clean once and dropped 2 shots below the qit upper scoring portion the other time.  Both were still within the time limit and above the 90% for instructor scores.  

What I have found is that my presentation has to be about 1/2-3/4” lower to line my eye up with the window.  It still feels a little unnatural at the moment but I don’t think I’m going back.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 20andOUT:
Today was day one shooting drills from a holster with a dot.  I am slower by a small amount, but more accurate for now.  I shot the FBI pistol qual clean once and dropped 2 shots below the qit upper scoring portion the other time.  Both were still within the time limit and above the 90% for instructor scores.  

What I have found is that my presentation has to be about 1/2-3/4” lower to line my eye up with the window.  It still feels a little unnatural at the moment but I don’t think I’m going back.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77352/IMG_8344-3211891.jpg
View Quote

One of the first things I noticed training with dots back in the day was that I could keep my groups tighter on faster strings of fire than irons.

Scores were generally the same for me during the transition, but the groups were noticeably tighter and I felt more confident on my splits when pushing speed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Would be interested in an RDS if there was one that wasn't so big. Show me one that is small, yet reliable. I'm a slim guy... don't want to add bulk on my hip.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By azjogol:
Would be interested in an RDS if there was one that wasn't so big. Show me one that is small, yet reliable. I'm a slim guy... don't want to add bulk on my hip.

View Quote

Have you carried with a red dot before? I've only noticed the increase using larger red dots like the DPP and SRO.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:59:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#47]
Originally Posted By azjogol:

View Quote
RMR

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Depends on the gun. Smaller and thinner I'd go EPS Carry for the width and height. Most everything else, RMR.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Red dot is better for new users than irons old guys if just shooting for the first time in my experience.

At distance RDS is far superior.

Training is superior to both

I need to train RDS more

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Dance:
RDS are gaining popularity on Carry Pistols.

A lot of people may not get one and just use iron sights due to cost or the need to practice with it.

Some people dispute that a RDS is better than iron sights.

Have you ignored the science?  

Is it wrong and iron sights are better than a RDS for carry?
View Quote

I have both.

Mission drives the gear. I’m not paid to seek out confrontation. I have little need for an offensive handgun.

Walked around the lake this afternoon. Only carried a 12+1 P365 & 15-Round spare. No bears at the lake house. Just coyotes & loose dogs. Jframe would have been better but 365 was already out of the safe and loaded.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top