Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 9:54:39 AM EDT
Does anyone have a good recommendation for an RC boat? Lots on Amazon but I have very little experience with RC.

I have a big pond in my front yard that I would like to run a boat on. Just for fun, entertain me and my daughter. Doesn't have to be a pro grade boat. Pond is probably 100yrd by 50yrd.

Also I don't want to build anything. New baby due any day, so model building time is limited. I'd like a ready to run kit (remote, battery, boat)
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a hobby grade boat is about all I got...... Pick anything from a hobby retailer such as Amain.

Link to Amain boats.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a lot out there.  Stay with well-known brands like Traxxas, Proboat, etc.  Don't go with some company name you can't pronounce on Amazon.  Also think of recovery methods should it die out in the middle lol.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Something like this would be decent.  I would advise getting a couple extra batteries.

RC boat
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Something like this would be decent.  I would advise getting a couple extra batteries.

RC boat
View Quote

That fits the bill. I found a RC battleship on Amazon, which would be awesome. I'm assuming it's a waste of money being some unknown China deal

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:

That fits the bill. I found a RC battleship on Amazon, which would be awesome. I'm assuming it's a waste of money being some unknown China deal

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/495533/1000004708_jpg-3212383.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

RC boat

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/495533/1000004708_jpg-3212383.JPG

As I said, don't do that.  Stuff breaks on anything RC.  Good luck getting spare parts for that junk.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:08:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#6]

RC boat
View Quote

Also that kit has a nicd battery. Isn't that like, SUPER old tech? I remember running NiCD in my old rc cars as a kid 20 years ago, and they were shit. Can that kit upgrade to lipo?

Nvm it's nimh.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#7]
My dad and I built one when I was a kid.  Thing was fast as fuck and would throw a ten foot rooster tail.

I'll never forget the first outing.  The output shaft came apart.  That was when I learned my dad was a good swimmer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]

As I said, don't do that.  Stuff breaks on anything RC.  Good luck getting spare parts for that junk.
View Quote

Yeah, I figured, it just would be awesome to drive a battleship around
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I want a submarine with a video camera lol.  That said, I'm sure you could build an awesome RC battleship from a hobby-grade kit.  What you showed is a cheap kid's toy.  Might make it across the pond once.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Show your daughter pictures of RC boats to get an idea of what she likes then look here........... Tower Hobbies
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Kraquine:

Show your daughter pictures of RC boats to get an idea of what she likes then look here........... Tower Hobbies
View Quote

Hard to believe they're still around.  Horizon Hobby pretty well took over around 2010 or so.  Many many evenings were spent looking through their catalogs.  I was a huge plane guy that later dabbled in helis.  I miss the kits.  No one wants to build anymore.  They all want "plug and play" action.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#12]

I want a submarine with a video camera lol.  That said, I'm sure you could build an awesome RC battleship from a hobby-grade kit.  What you showed is a cheap kid's toy.  Might make it across the pond once.
View Quote

night.
Oh man an underwater fpv drone would be insanely cook.

Yeah, a glorified bath toy. Oh well haha
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Careful..  it can get expensive once you start having fun.  

Impulse, Rocker and Miss Geico

Proboat and Traxxas make some good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I don’t know why, but the allure of a gas boat has been pulling me this year, and I’m betting one will be on the way here soon.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Put a small cup hook on the deck at the bow.
Have a fishing pole with at least 20# line with a tennis ball on it.
Now when the boat dies in the middle of the pond you don’t have to swim for it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Some steps to assure that  you and daughter have success.

Find a decent local hobby shop and look at their Traxxas boats. Check how quickly they can get Traxxas products and parts.

If you do RC you will need parts.

If no local hobby shop then purchase direct from Traxxas. They ship fast and are located in TX.

Other information you may wish to consider.

Tower Hobby / Hobbico went bankrupt and was bought by Horizon.

RCGroups.com has way too many reports of Horizon having  problems delivering products and service.

Writing with 55 years experience owning / managing and working in a large hobby shop.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Huscarl:
Some steps to assure that  you and daughter have success.

Find a decent local hobby shop and look at their Traxxas boats. Check how quickly they can get Traxxas products and parts.

If you do RC you will need parts.

If no local hobby shop then purchase direct from Traxxas. They ship fast and are located in TX.

Other information you may wish to consider.

Tower Hobby / Hobbico went bankrupt and was bought by Horizon.

RCGroups.com has way too many reports of Horizon having  problems delivering products and service.

Writing with 55 years experience owning / managing and working in a large hobby shop.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. Hobbytown usa was our local store but they went out of business years ago.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I came across this video on Tiktok.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrKlahn] [#19]
I had a remote control, submarine as a kid and this could dive surface and drive around either way. . Pretty fucking  awesome!  It was made by Tyco this was in1987-88.

I’m sure they have more advanced ones today so I suggest maybe one of those.  

It was just really something fun to play with especially if you got a kid or you just wanna be a kid yourself again.  Put a GoPro on it!

If you buy one post vids or pics and a link.

ETA: here is what I had.  

eBay link if picture doesn’t show up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top