Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 8/15/2023 2:39:37 PM EDT
We're heading to NZ and Australia next year.  We're debatng making the trip to Cairns to see the reef.  We've heard there has been extensive coral bleaching over the past several decades, especially in 2016-17.  Evidently there is now some evidence of recovery.  We recently made a return trip to St John and were very disappointed in the condition of the close-in reefs, especially compared to what we saw in 2008.  Is it still possible to see undamaged coral and associated marine life in at least some parts of the GBR?  Any thoughts/recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 5:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SideCarGT] [#1]
Recommend learning to scuba dive. It’s much less work than snorkeling and much more rewarding as you become part of the environment. It will open up a whole new world to you compared to snorkeling.

While the reef there is coming back, if you want to see the really good stuff, take a live aboard boat out for a few days to get to better, less visited parts of the reef.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the above. Go scuba, iirc, the gbr is deeper than carribean reefs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Recommend learning to scuba dive. It’s much less work than snorkeling and much more rewarding as you become part of the environment. It will open up a whole new world to you compared to snorkeling.

While the reef there is coming back, if you want to see the really good stuff, take a live aboard boat out for a few days to get to better, less visited parts of the reef.
View Quote

Well, my wife is unable to scuba, thanks to her brothers being allowed to hold her underwater at the swimming pool when she was in grade school.  She is deathly afraid of having her head underwater.  Snorkel is ok, SNUBA was a no-go.  I guess I could go the scuba route without her (she says it's ok).  A live aboard boat that accomodates both of us may be the  way to go.

Thanks very much.  You recommend any particular destination point (or charter boat) on the reef?
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Bummer. Early childhood trauma can stick with people.

No current suggestions on boats, but if you go to scubaboard.com, you can get some up to date suggestions if anyone knows about good snorkeling charters
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I was there two years ago and am heading back in 2025. I say it's absolutely worth it. I just got back from snorkeling in Belize last summer, too. GBR was better imo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Bummer. Early childhood trauma can stick with people.

No current suggestions on boats, but if you go to scubaboard.com, you can get some up to date suggestions if anyone knows about good snorkeling charters
View Quote

Very good, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By johndenverut:
I was there two years ago and am heading back in 2025. I say it's absolutely worth it. I just got back from snorkeling in Belize last summer, too. GBR was better imo.
View Quote

So I presume you can find tours to unbleached coral areas.  We're trying to decide if we have a limited time in Aus, would it better to go to the reef or the Outback, assuming we have to pick just one.  @johndenverut
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m not familiar with live aboard boats or diving operations there, but I encourage you to learn about the dangerous marine life there, such as the blue ringed octopus. It might not be that big of a deal in reality, though. You will probably get an orientation from the dive master as well. From what I’ve gathered, it’s a bucket list destination.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#9]
@oldcarguy

Sorry for just seeing this. I'd pick the reef every time. I'm going back in 2025.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By johndenverut:
@oldcarguy

Sorry for just seeing this. I'd pick the reef every time. I'm going back in 2025.
View Quote

Is there a specific place you like to go?

@johndenverut
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
This will be my 2nd trip to Cairns and Sydney. I hit New Zealand and Hawaii on the way home as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I was there in 2017. Took helicopter from Cairns to the floating barge on the reef. It was a total bucket list experience and worth it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/11/2023 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Been there. Did that.
Can’t help. Long time ago..we were anchored out on a 100’ yacht with a 45’ sportfish doing the Black Marlin thing for a week. Went snorkeling a few mornings before catching bait fish around the "bommies".
Saw all kinds of fish, sea critters.

Unblemished back then. Go anyway. YOLO..
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top