User Panel

Page General » Pets
Puppy Training? (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2022 4:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forlorn-Hope]
Hello,

I have recently rescued my first puppy as an adult. I have had two other dogs I received as a child but they both lived for 16-17 years. Now I am 30 and this is my first puppy as an adult and I want to do this correctly.

The new puppy is a 12 week old Border Collie Blue Heller mix named Bella. She is extremely intelligent and learns quickly, I have had her for 3 weeks and so far she has learned her name, sit, shake, come, outside, inside, drop it, lie down, harness (puts head in harness) and will fetch with 85% success rate.

So far all I have done is use Yes as a key word and follow them up with treats or tug of war/fetch.

What I would like to do is seek out some form of professional training for myself so I don't let Bella down.

Anyone ever sought out professional training and would you recommend it?

Any tips or guidance would be appreciated in regards to training but I would particularly like help with leash manners such as heel, auto sit, and off leash recall. I would like to take her hiking, camping, and on runs.

Ever try puppy training through petsmart or petco? Is it any good?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Good lookin' pup!
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any advice about the training, but that is one absolutely adorable pup!
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#3]
If you haven't done it already, you might try looking up some training videos on You-tube. I bet there are lots of them on there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Start early with the basics.

Sit, Stay, Heel, Come.

Small treats help them learn.

Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:29:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tripleoption] [#5]
Petsmart and Petco can be hit and miss.  For what they are, I don't think you can really go wrong with them.  Their classes are six weeks, you meet for an hour once a week.  They only do positive reinforcement training, which is one complaint some people have about them, but for a young puppy that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Really, the classes are more for the handler than the dog.  You'll need to work with the dog in between classes.  I did Petsmart with my GSD.  It got me going, got my feet wet in the world of dog training, and I learned quite a bit from it.  I got through the Puppy, Intemediate, and Advanced classes.  For the cost, it wasn't bad.  When I did it I paid I think $120 for six classes over six weeks.  It got me my start, and I was lucky to have a very good trainer.  I moved on, learned other training methods and got with some different trainers, and now, we're doing this, both as a job and competitively:

In my opinion, trying their puppy class for six weeks would be a good place to start.  Cute pup by the way!
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tripleoption:
Petsmart and Petco can be hit and miss.  For what they are, I don't think you can really go wrong with them.  Their classes are six weeks, you meet for an hour once a week.  They only do positive reinforcement training, which is one complaint some people have about them, but for a young puppy that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Really, the classes are more for the handler than the dog.  You'll need to work with the dog in between classes.  I did Petsmart with my GSD.  It got me going, got my feet wet in the world of dog training, and I learned quite a bit from it.  I got through the Puppy, Intemediate, and Advanced classes.  For the cost, it wasn't bad.  When I did it I paid I think $120 for six classes over six weeks.  It got me my start, and I was lucky to have a very good trainer.  I moved on, learned other training methods and got with some different trainers, and now, we're doing this, both as a job and competitively:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/380517/2021-7-2Herding-02401-2007810.jpg
In my opinion, trying their puppy class for six weeks would be a good place to start.  Cute pup by the way!
View Quote

Thats really cool, I would love to build her up to something like that or maybe agility courses but right now I am doing good if she goes 24 hours without an accident.

I believe once she is finished with her vaccinations I am going to roll the dice and try the local petsmart services just to get some more experience for myself.

So far having a puppy this high energy and intelligent has been demanding but extremely rewarding, It really feels like she has unlimited potential at this point. Bella is an absolute angel as long as I am doing what I am supposed to, but if I mess up she can be a little monster.

When we went to the vet I was so proud she didn't get too distracted and did everything I told her to do.

Shes growing crazy fast, here she is looking like a drowned racoon and proof she runs out of batteries eventually. It also seems her ears are starting to stand up.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Cute pup.  When I bought my lab pup I did a bunch of research on trainers.  It was expensive, but at 10 months I dropped him off at a pro trainer for four months.  It was completely worth it as I got back an incredibly well trained dog.  I t was amazing what he learned in those four months and now at 7 years old retains all the training.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool pup. A cross with two of my favorite breeds. I've had dogs all my life but I'm not a dog trainer. I have trained both my current dogs pretty well. They both have 100% recall. I can call either of them back, even chasing a squirrel or similar. They might wipe out doing a u-turn, but they immediately come back.

I'd give the petsmart training a shot I'm sure you can find some worth. If for nothing else it gives you an opportunity to train in a safe environment with lots of distractions. The border collie I had was extremely focused and wasn't distracted by anything so that may not be an issue for y'all. The Aussies I have now though  <bangshead>

I mostly used YouTube videos & some podcasts. I stayed consistent, never repeated commands (if they were ignored),  and never stopped. They are four & two years old now and we still "train" almost everyday.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:14:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tripleoption] [#9]
This picture is of mine during his first Petsmart puppy class.  I swear he slept through each one, but when we tested at the end he was the Einstein of the group, but boy did he struggle with toy distractions. .  I would second what Housewolf said, you'll get some worth out of Petsmart classes, and they'll give you an opportunity to train in a safe environment with lots of distractions.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, you are doing well already. Look up STAR puppy training, that's what we have done for two pups now. With that said, it's really focused on training both you and the dog to do much of what you already have done, plus socializing your dog as well. You might want to skip that and go for something more advanced based on what you have listed. AKC training seems to be pretty good in general.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#11]
We did petsmart training years ago, it was good for what it is, and a good place to at least start with training
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 2:05:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, you've got one of the key points already - puppy training is at least as much about training YOU as it is the puppy.  Maybe more.  Keep in mind, she doesn't speak English.

For leash manners (and heel), find an irresistible treat... something she'll do anything for. Freeze dried bison lung works great, although you can also cut up chicken franks and microwave them until they're practically burned.  Two chicken Franks yields a good size tub of treats.  Either way you want them to be small - about the size of a pencil eraser.  Hold a few in your closed fist as you walk her on the leash, and hold the hand with the treats down by her nose. Her nose will be glued to your fist. Dole out the treats slowly and praise her a lot.  Do this for about 15 minutes, then take a break, then another 15 minutes.  Rinse and repeat, but remember she has a short attention span at that age.  Do it for about an hour every day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 4:58:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Back when I was looking to train mine Petsmart was doing training with clickers and that wasn't the direction I wanted to go so we tracked down a good trainer at a local kennel. He mainly taught us to use keywords and positive reinforcement, and to stay 100% consistent.

Later we did some agility training which was great for additional commands and just plain fun.

Only advice might be to consider a key word that is less commonly used in normal speech to avoid confusion and to do some of your training at the local dog park to help your dog focus on you even when distracted, followed by a chance to socialize.

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By IPMan:
Back when I was looking to train mine Petsmart was doing training with clickers and that wasn't the direction I wanted to go so we tracked down a good trainer at a local kennel. He mainly taught us to use keywords and positive reinforcement, and to stay 100% consistent.

Later we did some agility training which was great for additional commands and just plain fun.

Only advice might be to consider a key word that is less commonly used in normal speech to avoid confusion and to do some of your training at the local dog park to help your dog focus on you even when distracted, followed by a chance to socialize.

View Quote
We did "agility for fun" with my current Golden.  Some things she loved - table and the elevated fence walk especially. Some she did but didn't really like much - the collapsed tunnel for one. The teeter she just refused to do.  She may have been a bit young for it really.  She was much more interested in socializing, and the location of the second class was next to a County petting zoo and she was way too distracted by the smells, so she ended up being an Agility School dropout.  

It was fun though.  She'd climb on picnic tables and walk along the edge of stone walls for years afterward.  Now that she's elderly, not so much anymore.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the suggestions and info everyone I really appreciate it.

We are still training every day and running all evening, it continues to be a fantastic experience.

Since my last post Bella has learned to stand, catch, fist bump, off, and up.

Up has been super useful getting her to climb into the truck and up flights of stairs etc. Fist bump is my personal favorite though, I hold out my closed fist say "fist bump" and she touches her nose to it.

She absolutely loves catch, she gets in the zone and gets laser focused but towards the end catch makes her get really bitey, no idea why though.

Bella gets her last booster on the 30th and I have registered for petsmart training.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure if I can reply to myself but here it goes, may the mods smite me if needed!

We had our first day of puppy school today at petsmart and it was absolutely wonderful. Trainer is very good and has Australian shepherds at home so should be a great match.

We learned how to use our release word "OK" and Bella picked it up on the first try and has had about an 80% success rate with it so far. we are working on "wait" now with some difficulties but super excited about the possibilities this one offers.

Shes getting big fast, 20 lbs as of friday.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad your first experience with Petsmart went well.  Like I said, they can be hit and miss, but it sounds like you got a hit with yours.  Just like you with your dog, my instructor had worked with German Shepherds, and she was able to give me a lot of advice about working with them.  Sounds like it's going very good for you.  Keep us updated on your pups progress!
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Richard Wolters - Family Dog book or CD. It explains how the dog mind works and how they learn . I tell every one to read this book . You can begin puppy kindergarten immediately .The best $20 you will ever spend .
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#19]
First thing I teach is "Leave it"  put treat or food in front of them and they have to leave it until you give whatever release command you use.  Do this by covering the treat with your hand at first and gradually you can get to where you just drop something for them to eat in front of them and they wait and stare at you drooling.  That is when you have the dog in the palm of your hand. It kind of goes with the drop command you have working to some extent, but it's about food and treats.  

Mess with them when they are eating, take food from their mouth, rub under their jaw when they are eating.  It helps minimize food agression.

Then the commands you have going, need to work with distractions. Other dogs, other people and they still need to do them.  Some of that just comes with age and at 2-3 years you should have a great dog.

For the leash tugging, a pinch collar works wonders.  If they pull hard it pinches them and if they walk where you want them it's comfortable.  That one is an easy fix.

Some of the tricks are fun, but if you can get - leave it, come, heel, sit, and stay, all the rest are just perks.

Everyone doesn't like them but for off leash, I start with a long leash (50 foot) then a shock collar.  They have to know what you want from using a long leash first, but if they know you call them and they go the other way, they get a bump.  Use this VERY sparingly, and quickly shift to the vibrate function.  Its not for teaching, but for reinforcing.  

I train for tracking after that but you have to have all of the basics down pat even with distractions.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Well Bella graduated from puppy school today.

Puppy training was an awesome experience and I learned allot. The trainer at my local petsmart is extremely good and very experienced, we start intermediate training in January with the same trainer.

Bella is doing wonderful, she loves to learn and train so its made my job extremely easy once I knew what to do and how to do it.

She refused to wear the little hat though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Forlorn-Hope:
Well Bella graduated from puppy school today.

Puppy training was an awesome experience and I learned allot. The trainer at my local petsmart is extremely good and very experienced, we start intermediate training in January with the same trainer.

Bella is doing wonderful, she loves to learn and train so its made my job extremely easy once I knew what to do and how to do it.

She refused to wear the little hat though.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369083/bella_graduation_jpg-2598050.JPG
View Quote

Congrats to you and Bella!  Glad to see you'll do the intermediate class too.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 1:30:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Glad I found this thread, I got an 8 week old puppy and ai’m trying to figure out when to start training and what to start with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:
Glad I found this thread, I got an 8 week old puppy and ai’m trying to figure out when to start training and what to start with.
View Quote

Congratulations on the new pup! I am 6 months in now and I highly recommend the petsmart puppy training, it was a wonderful experience for Bella and I both. We start intermediate training with the same trainer this Saturday.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#24]
The first thing you want to do is throw her on the ground and bite her neck. Shoe her who's boss! (I'm kidding). Border collies are EXTREMELY intelligent, healers are a bit stubborn. Both are high energy and if you make a routine out of "trying" to wear them out each day you'll probably be happier. Sitting on the porch in the evening drinking a couple of beers and throwing a ball isn't exactly a big task, but it will help burn off energy. You can look at doing agility type stuff. Obviously herding. Cut her loose at your local park that has a bunch of geese wandering around 😆. The point is that working dogs need a job and need an outlet for their energy. It doesn't need to be moving cattle, but both of you will be happier when you find something that works for you. I'm in no way putting down your dog, just offering tips to make the relationship work a little smoother. A bored and restless cattle dog is not your couch's best friend.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Seems when I did the Petsmart training they wanted the puppy to be around 12 weeks old to start (it might have been 14 weeks, I don't remember).  Call the local Petsmart and find out how old they need to be to get into the class.  They want to make sure vaccinations are up to date.  Like one person suggested you can look into AKC STAR Puppy also.  If you do Petsmart or Petco, you should get a decent trainer.  It'll all be positive training, which isn't necessarily bad for a puppy.  Let us know what you decide to do and keep us up to date!  And finally, keep your dog away from dog parks until at least 4 months old, maybe even a bit longer.  Parvo can be a problem in these parks.  I've known of two pups that died contracting parvo at our local park over the past five years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2023 12:12:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#26]
Anyone ever sought out professional training and would you recommend it?
View Quote

We lucked into finding a VERY good trainer with our first pups, and it's served us very well ever since.  A good trainer doesn't train the dogs... they train YOU, so you can train the dogs.

Petsmart trainers run the gamut from "fairly decent" to "really, really bad".
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Seems when I did the Petsmart training they wanted the puppy to be around 12 weeks old to start (it might have been 14 weeks, I don't remember).  Call the local Petsmart and find out how old they need to be to get into the class.  They want to make sure vaccinations are up to date.  Like one person suggested you can look into AKC STAR Puppy also.  If you do Petsmart or Petco, you should get a decent trainer.  It'll all be positive training, which isn't necessarily bad for a puppy.  Let us know what you decide to do and keep us up to date!  And finally, keep your dog away from dog parks until at least 4 months old, maybe even a bit longer.  Parvo can be a problem in these parks.  I've known of two pups that died contracting parvo at our local park over the past five years.
View Quote

I got her signed up, she'll end up being about 12 weeks old when we go.
The local veterinarian offices are so damn backed up here I am having to go to a weekend mobile veterinarian for shots. She's had two rounds of shots so far.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#28]

I got her signed up, she'll end up being about 12 weeks old when we go.
The local veterinarian offices are so damn backed up here I am having to go to a weekend mobile veterinarian for shots. She's had two rounds of shots so far.
View Quote

Where in WA are you?  Down there by McChord I'm guessing?  I know a vet that isn't backed up, plus during the scamdemic he didn't stop me from going back with my pet like many of the vets locally.  I had to drive an hour but it was worth it for me to be there for my dogs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Bella graduated intermediate puppy school last night, we are still having a blast! We start advanced puppy school in March.

Heel and place have been game changers so far, she defaults to heel and auto sits whenever I stop moving for even a split second.

Shes getting bigger and getting better everyday.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 2:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tripleoption] [#30]
Good job both of you!  Looks like your Petmsart experience is similar to mine.  We both got lucky to have good trainers, especially ones that understood our breeds.  You'll have fun in advanced puppy.  I see you got her to wear the hat too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#31]
The hardest part of training my dogs is to get the 3 other occupants of the house to use the correct command.

Be firm and gentle but do not waiver cause they are cute.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#32]
What a beautiful pup OP. Border Collie/Blue Heeler. It’s a good thing you are 30, just have patience with this darling. I believe you might have the smartest energized dog on Arf15.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Bella graduated intermediate puppy school last night, we are still having a blast! We start advanced puppy school in March.

Heel and place have been game changers so far, she defaults to heel and auto sits whenever I stop moving for even a split second.

Shes getting bigger and getting better everyday.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369083/bella_grad_2_jpg-2717068.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369083/wet_bella2_jpg-2717069.JPG
View Quote

I see you trained her to wear the hat!
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 1:23:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2T2_Crash] [#34]
Sorry, just saw this.. yeah I’m about 20 min north of JBLM

My Pooch has been going to the Petsmart puppy class as well. She learns well but as soon as she gets excited it is hard as hell to get her refocused.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, I have to ask...how is the advanced training going with Bella? Is she teaching you how to do tricks yet?
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
Well, I have to ask...how is the advanced training going with Bella? Is she teaching you how to do tricks yet?
View Quote

Its just getting started but its going great so far, she is so smart she makes my job exceptionally easy. She is also starting to mature allot, I can recall her now even when she is playing with another dog, its crazy what a difference a month or two makes.

Bella is also 45lbs now too.

We spend allot of time outdoors hiking, running, and playing, she's my little cardio buddy.

Bella has become one of the most chill and low maintenance dogs I have ever had as long as I keep her exercised, she's an absolute angel hanging out in my office during the work day.

Muddy
Attachment Attached File

Clean ish
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#37]
It sounds like you both really lucked out finding each other! 45 ibs. is ok, she is still a good-looking dog..
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#38]
What a difference 1 year makes.

We test for our AKC K9 good citizen in a few weeks!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Bella has come a long way it sounds like. Glad to hear y'all are working out so well together.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#40]
I remembered this thread when I saw the OP (again) this morning. She sure turned out to be a beautiful dog
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Miss Bella graduated from advanced puppy school last night, we start trick class in a few months.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#42]
It looks like she has taken to wearing the graduation hats with no problem. I also she graduated from just Bella to MISS Bella. Who's training who? Congratulations on the graduation, it will be fun to see the tricks she learns now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:28:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forlorn-Hope] [#43]
Bella passed her AKC canine good citizen tonight, now we take a little break before starting trick class.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:45:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mariner82] [#44]
Congrats on the CGC!  That's quite an accomplishment.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:45:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tripleoption] [#45]
Bella passed her AKC canine good citizen tonight, now we take a little break before starting trick class.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369083/akc_jpg-2899123.JPG
View Quote

Congratulations!  Proud of both you and Bellla.  Good job!  Keep the updates coming.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#46]
We started trick class this weekend and had an absolute blast. I think it will be a great break before we start another more practical course.

I believe she will be able to test out of novice rather quickly though as she knows allot of it already and then move on to intermediate tricks.

Picking what tricks to learn for the intermediate test will be difficult for me though as I really want to try them all.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Bella has come a long way from that little bright-eyed pup you showed us a year ago! I'm looking forward to hearing what kind of tricks she teaches you...
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Awesome pupper. Super cute too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#49]
We started trick class this weekend and had an absolute blast. I think it will be a great break before we start another more practical course.

I believe she will be able to test out of novice rather quickly though as she knows allot of it already and then move on to intermediate tricks.

Picking what tricks to learn for the intermediate test will be difficult for me though as I really want to try them all.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369083/trick_class_jpg-2942183.JPG
View Quote

You going for an AKC Trick Dog title?
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#50]

You going for an AKC Trick Dog title?
View Quote

Yeah we are doing novice and intermediate as a break before we move on to something more practical. Trick class has been hilarious so far and Bella loves it.

I don't really have a long term or end goal for her yet but I guess that's OK as we are just having fun learning and practicing.

Now that she's grown I do want to try her on agility or something else physically demanding, I think she would love it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Puppy Training? (Page 1 of 2)
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top