So much fun.
My folks got me this about 1968
" />
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:13:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

You can still get 'em off  the shelf:

https://hip2save.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Daisy-1938-Red-Ryder-Air-Rifle.jpg

Advertising like that sure doesn't seem to be a thing nowadays though.

https://pictures.gunauction.com/cashamerica/SKULLCANDY%20035.jpg

I wonder how many generations learned on those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://hip2save.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Daisy-1938-Red-Ryder-Air-Rifle.jpg

I learned  to shoot and  hunt on that Rifle at my Grandparents Farm in East Texas !
When I started, I was too small to cock it, so my  folks  or  Grandfather or Grandmother  would cock it for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:14:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By gamboolman:
So much fun.
https://i.imgur.com/CmFaO3Ql.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/CmFaO3Ql.jpg
View Quote

The one we had was gold. My neighbors had one that was red. We rode those things all time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:43:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#4]
Originally Posted By JQ66:

I bought a Ford F250 with the new 7.3L powerstroke when it first came out in 1995.   (I loved that truck and was really sad to see it go away, all rusted out).
But the first time I filled those tanks up, diesel was just $0.95 a gallon.  It was actually cheaper than regular 87 octane in PA then.
View Quote

Bought a 2000 F250 7.3 powerstroke and diesel was more expensive than gas but it got better mileage. I remember running the numbers and it didn't take that long to pay it off. This was a time when you could buy a V10 gas engine and such. I think the V10 got around 13 and some V8s better mileage but not as good as the diesel new at 20mpg. Different times. Pre low sulphur diesel, did a lot of work related to the desulphurization untis being put into all the refineries. Still have the diesel, still going. During covid the owner of the dealer offered me more than I paid for it in 2000.

Up until around 2000 or so I still had a work team come by every so often and clean the ditch and kill tall weeds on my property in a rural area. Striped sunshine (but not leg irons) with a couple of county guys. One on horseback and a shotgun. Guess they cleaned out the drunk tank when they got enough.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#5]

You can still do that here..
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:19:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:20:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Great memories!

This thread makes me sad, especially for my kids.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By brass:

When on his deathbed, my grandpa told me of when they had to run Indians off our farm.  The night before he died, he had a dream that little indians were running up his stomach shooting guns and arrows at him.  

He was a homesteader settled the farm in 1872, back before South Dakota was a state, m Great Grandpa was off the boat from Germany and so there were lots and lots of stories of how much had changed from when he was born to 92 years later when he died.  Lots of stories of things that came and went and came back again only new in description.  No running water until the late 40s, before that it was go out to the well and pump what was needed.

What he said about everything from switching to Federal reserve cash from Real metal money to making his own drink in Prohibition and how bad the farm was in the Depression where dirt was everywhere, he was lucky and made it through but he also drilled wells in addition to farming and keeping cattle and chickens and helped in construction when it was needed and many trades to stay above water so he wouldn't lose the land and house.  He luckily didn't owe anything on it as he inherited it from Great grandpa, but  back in the depression there were "City people" pushing to buy for a lot of money (in depression era money value, a pittance in reality), taking advantage of scarcity, same as always.

Things got more comfortable and he loved the luxury of having a color TV and his leather recliner in a relatively modest 3 room house my mom grew up in before he was 80.  Mom was born in 1925 so had lots more detailed stories to tell, like holding a lantern while going to school so she could be found if she got off track, that was in the bad days of the depression and dust bowl era but it wasn't always, she just carried it with her in case it turned windy.  Everything was brown dirt and scrub plants, no nice gridded out roads like now, just paths wagons took and they sort of spaced them out between churches and small towns 15 miles apart were a walk away.  No cars really around until after WW II, but tractors were a big thing that helped the farm.  One old truck is what the family had and it had the well drilling equipment on the back.  People walked to church or the richer ones would drive but it was only like 4 blocks away, as the town kind of grew next to the farm, it made the western border of the town.

The massive changes from Grandpa's stories to now are just unbelievable.  Literally oral history from Old West to the 1960s from grandpa and great depression to Obama from mom.   What is assumed and taken for granted and required has skyrocketed.  The idea of a 2 income family was only for people in debt and they were black sheep.   Moms stayed home and took care of the kids and cooked and cleaned.  A very comfortable lifestyle could be had with one income up until the 90s. (or 70s, depending on location)  The transition from radio to TV to color TV and then electronic computers in a house (rather than a job title a person had as 'computer') seemed like science fiction level advancement.  Just what I've seen since the 70s compresses all those changes and more, too much to even list.   Kids today talking about how they're immediately put in debt holes only a lucky few can escape are right, it's gotten worse, but not insurmountable if you have the will to not jump on every luxury fad for phone benchmark bragging rights.  Handing out credit cards like candy and college a requirement to get student loans hooked really tempts the young ones who have it all figured out, except the money part.

Freedom is nothing but lip service anymore.  We talk about it but have to wait for the right time of year or license or go to a different part of the state or a different state to legally do something, and all of it is 100% monitored, if your phone isn't tracking you, your car is covering it, if you're off that net that's a red flag and a reason to inspect your life with personal information and behavior data Hoover's FBI would have killed a few thousand people to get.

So, little has changed, other than the distance in swings from low to high, greatly expanded, really easy to lose it all with the wrong tweet.  From political right to left, everything is hyper-polarized and people group and love or hate something and everybody has to agree, thus splitting up a common group into many arguing factions which then miss all the details while worrying about a big picture they can't control anyway.   Same thing, just the polarization and number of groups and the chasms between them has grown.

View Quote

There were still Indians around when my grandfather was a kid. I made sure my kids spent a lot of time with my mom and dad—both born around Christmas of 1922. They grew up in rural southern Indiana which was basically a third world country. Subsistence farming, no running water or indoor plumbing of any kind, no or very limited electricity. They walked everywhere and hunted squirrels or rabbits before breakfast so they could eat.

My mom’s family lived in town and really had to scrape to survive. Many days, a single potato or a bowl of berries were all they had.

What a change in the world in my dad’s 92 years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted https://i.imgur.com/CmFaO3Ql.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/CmFaO3Ql.jpg
View Quote

A couple kids in my neighborhood had those. I was SO jealous!

My dad said I’d kill myself on one. He was probably right.
[img]/images/smilies/icon_smile_dissapprove.gif" />
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#13]
When I first started in my trade, back in '89, pagers were the thing. I knew which pay phones all around town could receive an incoming call. Because not all could.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#14]
There's still 1 Pizza Hut a couple counties over on the east side of Auburn.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:04:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By HourOfAngle:

Bought a 2000 F250 7.3 powerstroke and diesel was more expensive than gas but it got better mileage. I remember running the numbers and it didn't take that long to pay it off. This was a time when you could buy a V10 gas engine and such. I think the V10 got around 13 and some V8s better mileage but not as good as the diesel new at 20mpg. Different times. Pre low sulphur diesel, did a lot of work related to the desulphurization untis being put into all the refineries. Still have the diesel, still going. During covid the owner of the dealer offered me more than I paid for it in 2000.

Up until around 2000 or so I still had a work team come by every so often and clean the ditch and kill tall weeds on my property in a rural area. Striped sunshine (but not leg irons) with a couple of county guys. One on horseback and a shotgun. Guess they cleaned out the drunk tank when they got enough.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/1979-Honda-ATC-110-side-1024x683.jpg
View Quote
Still have an 84 200x
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Fun thread.

We are frogs in the pot. The heat has slowly increased over the last 20-30 years. Now our only way out is hardcore discipline, to remove ourselves from the perpetual log in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Seeing how far we have fallen as a Nation makes me sad.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By CTM1:

No, but I did ride in the back of an El Camino once and shortly after a kid from HS was thrown out of the back of one and died.
View Quote

I rode in a car once.  And while riding in that very car, we drove by another very similar car that was involved in a wreck, and two people that were in the very similar car died.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#24]

And bought a few packs of cowboy killers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AJE:
It's all QR codes on phones now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84914/1000003979-3171638.jpg
View Quote

I was at Lalapalooza 1, but don't have ticket stubs because we snuck in through a golf course. Got caught, kicked out, snuck back in. Try to get away with that nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#27]

When the pizza arrived (personal pan for me, as I'd read the required number of books and had all the stickers on my Book It! button) your folks would have to call you over from the arcade game section of the restaurant. I remember...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

I learned to shoot on a fore stock pump action BB gun and was introduced to real firearms by way of an old single shot bolt action .22lr H&R "Reg'lar" with no serial number. When my wife and I got married, my dad gave me the Reg'lar and my wife a "new" Winchester model 47, also with no SN, as wedding gifts. My daughter will eventually carry one and I the other to go squirrel hunting once she is big enough to shoulder it
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#29]

Did you ever get to ride in one of these?

https://en-academic.com/pictures/enwiki/49/1931_Ford_Model_A_roadster_rumble_seat.JPG
View Quote

Yeah, in the fall before it got too cold. 28 model A. Great condition. Got it for free from my neighbor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By uxo2:
Patriot Act getting signed into Law.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84273/OIP_iB1qt9Nwyf_3Uxgdr2TGCAHaE8_jpeg-3171099.JPG
View Quote

Fuck those grinning pieces of shit.

This thread kinda hurts. We've lost so much
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By QueOndaGuero:
< libshithead> buh buh whuddabout blacks and women and lgbtqwtfbbq???!!!!!" < /libshithead >

I was a '70s kid / '80s young adult. Loved it, but my mother said the '50s were an incredible time to grow up in.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By QueOndaGuero:
Originally Posted By Frank_B:

I'll take the '50s any day.
< libshithead> buh buh whuddabout blacks and women and lgbtqwtfbbq???!!!!!" < /libshithead >

I was a '70s kid / '80s young adult. Loved it, but my mother said the '50s were an incredible time to grow up in.

The 80's were incredible but I also think the 50,'s would have been amazing.

The shit my dad did growing up, pure carefree life
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Born in 1950 I have a much broader perspective of how far downhill this country has traveled. I understand change is inevitable but social rot is something else entirely especially when you have those to are actively workings towards it. Back in the late 50's and early 60's kids enjoyed a level of freedom quite unimaginable to people these days.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#33]
American Freedom Train/Amtrak Spl - 1976/77
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#34]

My calves hurt just looking at that picture.

I was so used to riding dirt bikes that whenever I rode one of those things I would put my leg down on a turn and the rear wheel would crawl up my leg.

Those treads hurt...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Had one of those in the Plymouth Volare.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Some good stuff in this thread...  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
My grandfather had one that said "The US is Still #1"  I found one just like it... somewhere... and kept it in my garage.
View Quote

Nowadays you'd be considered a dangerous white nationalist for making such a statement
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#43]

How many scars do you have on your shins from these:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/26696/e7cb5ebe-47d8-4510-a245-e758d1a8ae6c5e949991ec.jpeg
View Quote
Not nearly as many as I got from these:

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#44]

The travel case version of the Fort Apache playset.  Definitely a big part of my childhood!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By gamboolman:
So much fun.
https://i.imgur.com/CmFaO3Ql.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/CmFaO3Ql.jpg
View Quote

I had one of those when I was younger, it was a blast.

If I saw a CT90 in good running shape for a decent price I would be severely tempted.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By SamuraiX:
Great memories!

This thread makes me sad, especially for my kids.
View Quote

Post some stuff that's better now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#48]

They have the spire up now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:52:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#49]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Primecube:

Hip-Huggers!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Primecube:

Hip-Huggers!!

And the body for them, which aint as common as it used to be
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top