Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2024 1:14:59 AM EDT
I've seen quite a few of this guy's videos. They're good for a laugh on a break or while eating lunch. And most times, they're basically true. But this one is VERY true. And I think we've all known somebody like this.

It's just a little over 4 minutes long
People who confuse debt with wealth
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I made it to 85 hours, and then my brain begged me to stop.

But OP is right, a lot of people think that having things is wealth, regardless of the cost.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there a printed transcript, for those in a hurry ?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep , known a lot of the orange shirt types . They almost never see it coming til it’s too late . Good guys (mostly) , put have no money management knowledge . Kinda sad , really .
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:29:40 AM EDT
[#4]
This is one of his best vids yet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:36:13 AM EDT
[#5]
We live in a fairly wealthy area, but have a fairly simple lifestyle. However, that meant that my kids went to school with kids who lived in big, fancy houses and whose parents drove expensive cars. We naturally got to know some of the parents and got to know what their situations were.

We told our kids very early on that we were probably as well off as their friends' families were, it's just that they were in debt up to their eyeballs and we were not. They should never feel that they were below them in any way.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4q2:
Yep , known a lot of the orange shirt types . They almost never see it coming til it’s too late . Good guys (mostly) , put have no money management knowledge . Kinda sad , really .
View Quote

This country is FULL of the orange shirt types.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#7]
If the household debt and savings numbers are to be believed, lots of guys that are a job loss away from financial chaos.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:26:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Only debt I have is $2600 on the house.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]
He has some occasional duds for videos but there are certainly some gems there. Can be really funny.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Debt is the opposite of wealth!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Debt is a tool.

There's Productive Debt vs Consumer Debt. The difference is kinda important.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a buddy who likes to put minimum down payment and use other people's money.  I strongly disagree with that mindset.  However, his Florida condo has gone up in value from about $110K 6 years ago to around $275K now, for under 600 square ft.  That's a huge gain.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Someone once said its not what you have but who you owe. I feel like its a cycle. You start out with nothing in your teens as you enter the work force, you have a mortgage and car payments while raising kids, college, weddings etc. all are burdens we bear. Then as the kids get older and start their own lives your debt cycle is winding down. Hopefully you have been saving a little bit along the way and can enjoy the golden years which for me are ones that include -0- debt.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Positronic:
Is there a printed transcript, for those in a hurry ?
View Quote

And without the whiney cracker voices????????

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#15]
My ex-wife confused debt with wealth.

I ejected when I couldn't take her screaming
and wasting our savings anymore.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By FZJ80:
If the household debt and savings numbers are to be believed, lots of guys that are a job loss away from financial chaos.
View Quote

They are already in financial chaos.  

The freedom comes when a prospective employer head hunts you, and they realize they cannot get you onboard for less than your terms.

It's not working out?  Oh no, anyway.  Open up the hiring portal then, and get 5 or 6 people and realize you won't get someone with the background you want, for the price you want to offer them.

I don't do financial instability for that reason.  You meet my terms, and things will go smoothly for you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Lendingtree dot com - Stanley Johnson (2005)
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jough43:
I have a buddy who likes to put minimum down payment and use other people's money.  I strongly disagree with that mindset.  However, his Florida condo has gone up in value from about $110K 6 years ago to around $275K now, for under 600 square ft.  That's a huge gain.
View Quote

Maximum leverage can indeed work well at times.  It can also ruin you. Real estate is not the wonder investment some people think it is.  (Most of the time).  Real estate is a good investment, mostly.  Look at it as a currency short/real estate investment and you will see it better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:21:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#19]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

View Quote

How important to her was being seen doing the "right" things, wearing the "right" things, in front of the "right" people?

That usually seems to be the case, and I've come to se it as not so much people like her confuse debt with wealth as much as it is people like us confusing wealth for status. We're happy building wealth, and don't give two shits about those weird rituals some people go through to flaunt status to each other. For people who do put status higher on the priority lost, though, debt is but one tool to achieve it. Wealth is another one. But, if you lack the latter, the former can accomplish the same. Naturally, this assumes status equates to "displays of gratuitous consumerism." So, maybe there's a better word here... maybe "perceived relative status?"

As for thinking long term and being able to sustain such "status?" That requires a mentality that such people rarely possess. At best, she saw that as your concern to figure out, not hers.

It's a shallow, empty way to live, but it absolutely consumes some people.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Debt is a tool.

View Quote

It would be very tricky to get into productive debt right now.  My wife and I have been looking at moving lately, so I ran the numbers to show her what it would take to buy a place, without selling our current place.

She realized it was doable, but we'd lose the investment capability we have right now because the payment would eat up so much.

The funny thing is, she's 2.3 miles from her office.  I'm 26 miles.

We're in a fantastic position and when there is another RE bust, we'll simply write a check for whatever strikes our fancy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#22]
The real question is if people can differentiate between assets and liabilities.

The people with wealth own the former.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By M4ger:

It would be very tricky to get into productive debt right now.  My wife and I have been looking at moving lately, so I ran the numbers to show her what it would take to buy a place, without selling our current place.

She realized it was doable, but we'd lose the investment capability we have right now because the payment would eat up so much.

We're in a fantastic position and when there is another RE bust, we'll simply write a check for whatever strikes our fancy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Debt is a tool.

For a personal residence, perhaps not. Least you'd need to work hard to find good value. It's possible, likely require much self work.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#24]
That dept prisoner does make a lot of money - but having to work 85 hrs a week to make ends meet.
But all that money go's to the bank paying off interest on the toys he don't have
time to play with.  

These are not the days of zero % interest rates.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Well this is just a reflection of society as a whole. It is all about appearance not actual value.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
Well this is just a reflection of society as a whole. It is all about appearance not actual value.
View Quote

I think Instagram and such have actually made this worse.

I used to joke that one of my sister-in-laws, for instance, was obsessed with how people she didn't know perceived how she was loving, what school the kids went to, where they vacationed, etc.

To her credit, I don't think she ever did the social media thing (or, maybe to her credit, she's carefully made sure I was never aware).

Nowadays, people like this aren't limited to imaginary people being impressed by how they live. They get endorphin hits from every like and comment on instagram. It takes the usual status-obsessed types and gives them even more validation for their proclivities.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#28]

For a personal residence, perhaps not. Least you'd need to work hard to find good value. It's possible, likely require much self work.

View All Quotes

Debt is a tool.

My first mortgage was in 2013, at 3.625% and was exfiltrated in November of 2019.

I watched each house payment for 4 years before getting to a place where I could decimate it.  It sickened me how much money the bank was making versus my principal paydown.

Today, even as DINKs, there is a 0% chance I'm going to deal with a 6.5-7% rate.

If I work on another home, it will be new construction.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Debt is selling yourself into Indentured Servitude. That shit made made illegal 200 years ago, but we willingly do it to ourselves.

I’m not finger-waving, I have a motorcycle loan with about a year on it but in my defense It was a pretty special bike and I had no other way of doing a once in a lifetime purchase. No other debt beyond that, and I haven’t used a credit card since 1997.

Yes, I know, the ARFCOM money managers and erstwhile millionaires will tell me I think like a poor person for having my mentality, but I’m comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Paid mine off this month, Congrats in advanced!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
Debt is selling yourself into Indentured Servitude. That shit made made illegal 200 years ago, but we willingly do it to ourselves.

I’m not finger-waving, I have a motorcycle loan with about a year on it but in my defense It was a pretty special bike and I had no other way of doing a once in a lifetime purchase. No other debt beyond that, and I haven’t used a credit card since 1997.

Yes, I know, the ARFCOM money managers and erstwhile millionaires will tell me I think like a poor person for having my mentality, but I’m comfortable with it.
View Quote

You do think like a poor person, or at least one poor at mathematics. Not understanding debt's utility as a tool is the epitome of that.

But, you be you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

A lot of "wealthy" types too, doctors and especially lawyers... Gotta live that "lifestyle" and/or they get the type of wife who wants a doctor/lawyer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

How important to her was being seen doing the "right" things, wearing the "right" things, in front of the "right" people?

...snip...

View Quote

Got a guy I work with. Dude is drowning in debt, his wife will not stop chasing the purses, the clothes, the jewelry, the things some THOT is pushing on IG. Always wanting what others have. Dinners are always 100's..

He has kids.

He wants to eject, her Credit Cards are maxed, their accounts are drained before pay day. All he has is gas money for himself. She has demanded (he hasn't) he pulls money from his retirement..I feel for the guy, I do. He can't stop her. He needs to bounce.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQU1ermjDzc
View Quote

The funniest part of that commercial is that it is advertising HELOCs.  The irony is hysterical.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Going to pay my first mortgage payment in June...yay......
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:
Originally Posted By 4q2:

Exactly.
One calamity away from bankruptcy. But, they have "all the things"
Wife and I are enjoying the freedom of being debt free.
Planning on purchasing our retirement home soon, but not going beyond our means.
Buying something we can afford and pay off with the sale of current home.
Debt free going into retirement is the goal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

Got a guy I work with. Dude is drowning in debt, his wife will not stop chasing the purses, the clothes, the jewelry, the things some THOT is pushing on IG. Always wanting what others have. Dinners are always 100's..

He has kids.

He wants to eject, her Credit Cards are maxed, their accounts are drained before pay day. All he has is gas money for himself. She has demanded (he hasn't) he pulls money from his retirement..I feel for the guy, I do. He can't stop her. He needs to bounce.
View Quote

I saw this a few times in the military.

One guy jacked up his travel card so he had to get counseled.

I remember the 1SG asking him directly, "Do you need me to talk to your wife?  Obviously you can't.  When we chapter you out because of credit card fraud you are going to lose housing, paycheck, tri care, and everything else."  I think he went home and tuned her ass up.

You have to speak their language.  And for military wives the thought of losing commissary privileges and tri care is a come to Jesus moment.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Lots of truth there.  Sad.

Now we've got a boat (older but paid off).  SxS (older but paid off).    Camper, pole barn, and an acre it sits on (paid off).   Only debt is the house which we are knocking out quickly and a truck we bought in 21 that's just about there.

It's nice not having to be paycheck to paycheck and have that anchor around your neck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MudEagle:
The real question is if people can differentiate between assets and liabilities.

The people with wealth own the former.
View Quote

So is your home an asset or a liability?   I'm firmly in the liability category because it's something you have to have.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#40]
You should see how prevalent it is out here in the sticks. Bass boat, pontoon boat, Toy Hauler, side by side, quads, bro dozer, broke down jeep Cherokee and a Harley. Living in a singlewide. Live for today and worry about tomorrow another day.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#41]
The video makes it point, but the guy is fucking annoying.

We all have different financial resources to work with and  different things we all prioritize.those priorities are based on that individuals life.  

I seriously doubt anyone here would understand why i do what i do with my choices for a car and housing considering my credit and  variable financial circumstances.  

Due to health issues, I have a limited amount of time I can enjoy driving the car I have, and the way that I want to drive it, so that is my priority because that’s the one happy spot I got left.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#42]
It's about assets vs liabilities and almost all cases real estate in an asset in that it maintains its value and not destroyed by inflation.  Your shiny new truck you bought on finance is losing money just sat on your driveway.

There was point some years ago when I was working when I realised I had more equity in my house than I owed on the mortgage.  In a worse case scenario I could sell up, clear my debt and still be able to buy somewhere to live
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#43]
The only things I have ever financed is property and a means for transportation. No credit cards. No bullshit.

I bought a tractor with cash after working extra details for 2 years with cash. Same with my old Harley I recently sold.  

But I have always lived conservatively and within my means. House I could afford, car/truck note I could afford. Paid off swiftly as possible to save paying interest.

I recently inherited “life changing money.” Some people might say I’m “rich” but I am really just debt free and have no children. I don’t have any vices or addictions. I make money while I sleep.

I am going to reward myself with a second vehicle with things like power windows and heated seats… life is good.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Ambridge77:

View Quote

Yep... I'm glad my fiancée is frugal as fuck. I brought her to Texas (she's Brazilian) and the places she wanted to go? To go shopping?

Dollar Tree
Five Below
Ross
Marshall's
TJ Max

I went down to São Paulo for 10 weeks right before Christmas. I told her I wanted to buy her clothes... but she just doesn't seem to want me to spend money on her.

That is a HUGE GREEN FLAG for me.

I'm having a house built for us right now, which will be done next month. It'll probably be the BIGGEST place she's ever lived. Her son will have his own room. I'm excited to see how they like it.

The video is spot on for a lot of people. I've got a good friend who is a "car guy". He has had probably 40 different cars in the 20 years I've known him. He trades in cars he's upside-down in for something else, but only worries about the monthly payment. He makes decent money and if he restrained himself, he could probably pile up a lot of savings. But he's single, no kids, doesn't want to marry or have kids, so his attitude is to just have fun. Sadly, he's had health issues, had been overweight all his life. He's 51 years old now... I don't expect he's going to make it to 70. I do feel bad... I keep telling him he needs to take care of himself, because I want to annoy the fuck out of him for another 40 years!

I have been a bit guilty of getting new cars every few years. I got a new CR-V last year, but I was in the most advantageous situation I've ever been in. Credit is over 800, I had a lot of equity in my trade in and I'll be able to have it paid off in <3 years total. I plan on doing that and keeping it. It's a great car for the family. As far as everything else... I've had motorcycles, but I'm done with that. I have no use for boats, ATVs or any of that bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:48:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DrKlahn] [#45]
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:
You should see how prevalent it is out here in the sticks. Bass boat, pontoon boat, Toy Hauler, side by side, quads, bro dozer, broke down jeep Cherokee and a Harley. Living in a singlewide. Live for today and worry about tomorrow another day.
View Quote

Lol at the timing of our posts.

I have nothing else, just my car and a spot to sleep.

Driving my one car (Miata) is quite literally the one thing that keeps me dirt side up on this planet.  

I have health issues that will limit how much i can enjoy driving a manual transmission in the short future, on a permanent basis ( until i can create alternative control mechanisms)  so i am living for every bit of today, as tomorrow scares the shit out of me.

This is the third miata I’ve bought in 2 1/2 years. I started off with a used 2019  in Feb 22, that got bought back by Mazda and then switched into a  2022 for the same  payment and  term.

The 22 got killed by a bitch in a BMW running a stop sign, The payout was not great and I just refinance that car.  I replaced it with a 23, at 2247 miles Mazda authorized a transmission replacement, trans was replaces at 5500 miles.

Between that and an unbelievable multi month horrid shit show with the dealer (FUCK YOU CARDINALE WAY MAZDA IN CORONA CA!!!!!) i reached an agreement with Mazda and ordered a 24 with substantial discount and warranty.

Got laid off a week before the car arrived at the new dealer (4/2/24) had to cancel the deal, got money back that will help me out during this shit show of a year.

I am at 10k miles now on the 23 and it needs another fucking transmission, dropping off tomorrow for the tech team from Mazda to examine it.  My 3rd gear sounds like rocks in a blender, only happens in that gear.

But I also know how to leverage debt. In 2018 till Covid hit, I was buying and selling jewelry, firearms and accessories from pawn shops and gun stores all over the state and using credit cards to buy everything and pay off before the interest hit in the same month and piling up the cash, and reinvesting in more guns.

In 2 years my credit went from 500 to 800 and had $30k  in available credit between 5 cards. Covid hit, inventory was unavailable or priced beyond any profitability, lost my job that was the main source of income.  Did survive with some wise purchases that were advantageous to sell during the panic. Fuck you Covid!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By grendelbane:

Maximum leverage can indeed work well at times.  It can also ruin you. Real estate is not the wonder investment some people think it is.  (Most of the time).  Real estate is a good investment, mostly.  Look at it as a currency short/real estate investment and you will see it better.
View Quote

I have a relative that lost a ton of money trying to build and sell some houses in Hawaii.  He started billing in late 2006.....
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

This and then some.  Just imagine if any of them had an ARM home loan.....or their credit cards were basically maxed out and they can't pay them down quickly.

I thought ARM's were a thing of the past after the 2008 goat rope.....that is what I get for thinking rational people exist in the finance world that understand the balance of greedy and just plain dumb....article from 2019...

https://themortgagereports.com/46477/arm-mortgages-are-popular-again-are-they-the-choice-for-you
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Well done.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By jough43:
View Quote

Rental?

If you can manage a property and have it pay for itself that is great.  On that same note look what happened in 2020 with the kung flu scandemic, Gov saying you can't kick people out for not paying.  Not sure how long that lasted in FL or if it was even a thing.  I know a few states when nuts with it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#50]

He has kids.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

...snip...

He has kids.

If I could block Tiktok from my wife's phone, I would in a heartbeat.
It makes her want to spend money on unnecessary bullshit far beyond our means, causes her to be scared about the state of the world, and makes her depressed about bullshit she can't control, with very little benefit to her in exchange.

Kharn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top