Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2024 8:24:41 PM EDT
I had been doing keto before and tried following the macros, but didn't lose a lot.  I started mounjaro and really began monitoring my caloric intake, I think that has helped more and down now over 20 pounds.

I can't really eat much now anyway with the med.  Most days I don't even top 1,000 calories, usually below 8-900, depends on what the wife made for dinner.  Fast walking every day for about 45 minutes and strength training 3x week.  

How many calories are you all taking in?  My family is giving me grief about not eating enough and act like I am starving myself, but just not that hungry and get full much faster.  Enough calories or not?  I do intermittent fasting too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:27:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bronsonburner] [#1]
Not really.  I DO monitor my physical expenditures though.  Some form of exercise at least five days/week has been doing wonders.  I love to eat.

ETA:  
If I "pig out" one evening and "blow" my diet, (I eat my food later in the day) I know I need to do an extra mile on the treadmill the next AM.  Then probably need to fast till lunch.  At least.  I'm only 5'6" but was "blessed" with an appetite that would put a linebacker to shame.  Plus I love beer.  I've lost 50 pounds and six pant sizes since last October just through consistent exercise and semi-reasonable eating.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Not at all.

I just eat less in general.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I can very easily gain weight on keto, I'm jealous of people who say they can't.  

The more meals I eat, the more I need to weigh and track.  If I'm trying to lose weight, I usually switch to just eating a large but reasonable dinner.  I don't have to hassle with the weighing and logging and still get to feel like i've indulged.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been bulking. My Fitness Pal is a great app to track calorie and macro intake.

I've gained 20lbs in about 10 months.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Not at all.

View Quote

Same. Shed 25lbs and down to what I weighed 15yrs ago.

Eat better, eat less, and eliminated sugars.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was in full weight loss mode back in 2020 I remember reading that you shouldn’t go below 1500 calories a day.

Of course this will be hotly debated by people depending on what their diet tribe is.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:35:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#7]
I don't count calories. I count results in pounds on the scale.
I cut out all sugar and most carbs and just get on the scale to check results.
Most of the time it works out too good, get underweight and add more carbs either pasta or bread.
Recheck scale and I usually can stay on target.

As mentioned above, eat better, eat less, no sugars. And be active.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I don’t directly count calories, but I do keep track of my intake.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Not at all.

View Quote

Kinda this, but I make sure I get my protein somehow. My protein supp is quite low in calories, I eat lots of carrots and berries, stay away from sugar, and go easy on carbs. Plus I walk. A lot. At least 5 days a week. Work has me on my feet all night because it's a 3-story building I have to take care of, and I get 2 miles in before I even get to work. 5-8 miles at work per night, depending in the day, and I don't eat an actual meal all day until I get home. Keeps me thin. Plus I have access to the best weight room in the district, which I take advantage of.

Lost my gut when I quite drinking alcohol. I was never obese, but I had a vodka/whiskey/tequila gut.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I counted calories until I had a good feel for what I am consuming. Now I don’t. I also exercise  regularly. And cut 500 calories from my day that way.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I use Cronometer to track my calories. I run a 650 cal deficiency. Usually 1700-2100 depending on how much I work out and walk that day.keep in mind that these calculators can only estimate your caloric needs and can be off a good bit. They do give you a good starting point and you need to monitor and make changes as needed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#13]
No. I just don’t eat until I’m full (eat a regular portion and stop) and don’t eat crap food.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll eat that much if I'm sick or maybe end up not eating at work or something.

I eat around 1900 right now, when I push myself I can keep it below 1800 and have quicker results.

Usually maintain at 2500-2800ish.

I have a habit of neglecting fats that I try to keep around 30% grams per pound of bodyweight and I probably should have more protein but usually fall around 70-80% g/lb.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I do every day.

I exercise like crazy but eat a lot which results in my weight being stable.  I keep tabs every day so I can say "I've been bad a couple days, I need to be lose a bit" so I stop after 2,000 calories for a few days to make up for bad days.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Somewhat.
I’m down 63lbs. and am doing five small meals a day.
Trying to stay between 4-500 calories per. Though I’m not a calorie Nazi.
Stomach has shrunk, both externally and internally.
Can’t eat like I used to anymore. I get overfull pretty quick, so I’ve slowed down my eating pace. It helps.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got my numbers pretty dialed in.  Currently at 2k/cal in an aggressive cut, trying to hit 9-10% BF by early June.  My maintenance are right around 2,800-2,850.  I track every single calorie.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I've lost 140 pounds over a few years. Yes count calories and fasting. Without fasting I have very little progress.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't count calories, but I do manage portions.
And limited between meal snacking.
It's simpler and painless.
I've dropped 20 pounds so far.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#20]
I do, lost 36lbs in the last 2 months.

Usual diet , for the last 2 weeks has been, no breakfast, 5-6 scrambled eggs with cheese for lunch, dinner couple carrots and bag of popcorn. First month was 2 small bowls of rice, shrimp, n vegetables .

Sounds weird, but it’s working.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#21]
If you cut out sugar and processed foods it becomes very easy to maintain a healthy weight. You'll also feel better. You won't have inflammation and your gut will thank you.  Protip...Once you do this, you can't have a cheat meal on shit food.  You will regret it. Your body wasn't designed to eat highly processed foods. You trained it to accept it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jayfe87] [#22]
I count carbs mainly.. and watching what and how much I eat according to activity levels. My skinny ass gets guff for drinking diet/zero sugar from those who have their own orbits (while scarfing down their breakfeast, first break, & lunch). My newish job isn't very active physically so I have to give somewhere, previous one was very active it wasn't a problem. Self-restraint I guess, I don't need a Mexican buffet for lunch every-day.

I exercise outdoors in the warmer months, I do some semblence of Keto during the colder months. In the warmer months, I ride my bike after work, 45 miles and ~4000 calories later is each weekend's worth.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Not really anymore. Use an app religiously back in the day losing weight. It’s just too much now.

Hired a bodybuilding coach in November, he cut me down from 20% bodyfat at 206lbs to 10.6% at 181lbs. Followed his diet without counting anything, just weighing my food. 4 meals plus a shake and rice cakes preworkout every day. I use 300mg/wk testosterone and 300mg/wk Masteron.

Best shape of my life at 37. Veins, abs, the works. Maintaining now very easily around 2000 calories a day. Don’t snack or eat rice/pasta/bread. Weight training 4 days, cardio when I can. Cut out the junk and track protein if you want to track anything
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Not really. But I am conscious of what I’m eating.

Make sure you add a weight lifting regimen to your diet. If you’re that low on calories you’re going to have muscle loss along with fat.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:00:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TSU45] [#25]
Just cutting calories doesn’t work in the long run.  Your metabolism will slow to match the intake eventually.

Lift more.  Run or ruck more.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Soybomb:
I can very easily gain weight on keto, I'm jealous of people who say they can't.  

The more meals I eat, the more I need to weigh and track.  If I'm trying to lose weight, I usually switch to just eating a large but reasonable dinner.  I don't have to hassle with the weighing and logging and still get to feel like i've indulged.
View Quote

People don't get "keto", you are supposed to get your body to burn and keep burning fat, so you aren't very hungry, therefore you won't eat as much. Thats how it "works"
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Unless the OP is morbidly obese and a Doctor is telling you to eat less than 1,000 a day I think you are just setting yourself up for failure in the end.
The weight took time to accumulate and it will take time to come off. If you view it as a diet instead of a true lifestyle change you are again setting yourself up for failure.

It is really not rocket science, smaller portions and get the body moving and do this consistently.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been counting cals and protein and really every thing else I can count.  It's interesting to me and helps keep me focused on maximizing fat loss while minimizing muscle loss.
no sugar, no starch, no grain, no alcohol.  Only lean meats, eggs, chicken, tuna, etc. No processed foods.

1 cheat day a week where I allow a limited amount of starch and grain.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Eat less, move more.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:14:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: txinvestigator] [#30]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:
I had been doing keto before and tried following the macros, but didn't lose a lot.  I started mounjaro and really began monitoring my caloric intake, I think that has helped more and down now over 20 pounds.

I can't really eat much now anyway with the med.  Most days I don't even top 1,000 calories, usually below 8-900, depends on what the wife made for dinner.  Fast walking every day for about 45 minutes and strength training 3x week.  

How many calories are you all taking in?  My family is giving me grief about not eating enough and act like I am starving myself, but just not that hungry and get full much faster.  Enough calories or not?  I do intermittent fasting too.
View Quote

Do you know your base metabolic rate?  Take that, add your active and workout calories then eat at a 500 calorie deficit for safe weight loss.

There is nothing healthy about eating under 1000 calories.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By GuynamedDave:
Not really anymore. Use an app religiously back in the day losing weight. It's just too much now.

Hired a bodybuilding coach in November, he cut me down from 20% bodyfat at 206lbs to 10.6% at 181lbs. Followed his diet without counting anything, just weighing my food. 4 meals plus a shake and rice cakes preworkout every day. I use 300mg/wk testosterone and 300mg/wk Masteron.

Best shape of my life at 37. Veins, abs, the works. Maintaining now very easily around 2000 calories a day. Don't snack or eat rice/pasta/bread. Weight training 4 days, cardio when I can. Cut out the junk and track protein if you want to track anything
View Quote
Very nice!!  How'd you find your coach?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I am doing semi keto and not tracking my intake, but making sure I eat the right things. I've lost 18lbs after some meds made me gain 15lbs (Gabapentin is a no go!) which is 3lbs more than where I started. I plan to lose another 20-25. It will be like dropping a 45lb plate off of my body when I am done.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I eat pretty much the same thing everyday so I don’t really need to monitor. Dropped from 200+ in Jan of 23 to 158 today.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I do carnivore. I eat when I’m hungry, and I eat until I’m comfortably full. I’m down 32 pounds since February 25.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:43:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: victorgonzales] [#35]
I lost weight and maintain it.   I don't count calories.

I don't eat sugar or processed foods other that pizza on Friday and fastfood with the kids on Saturday.  I also eat very little grains.  

I skip breakfast.  Drink coffee.  Snack on some almonds or pistachios. At 11 I eat four hard boiled eggs, a little portion of veggies and a little portion of fruit.
At 7 I eat dinner.  Usually meat and veggies.  Almost always deer or elk unless it's chicken.  Once a week I'll have either pasta or rice with dinner but it's whole grain stuff.    If I get hungry at night I eat a pickle or a piece of cheese. I drink water instead of drinks.  No alcohol.

I work out five days a week and am on my feet all day at work painting cars.  I hunt fish and hike in the mountains on weekends most of the time.  

Pretty easy to stay in shape if you eat good food and move your body.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Bulking I’ll get to about 4k calories, cutting I’m 1600 and to maintain Im about 2300. I’ve counted the calories enough I just know what and how to eat now that I don’t need to.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Calories in, calories out is a lie and doesn't take into account how the body can defy physics.  The real secret to losing weight is calories out, calories in.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Im maingaining. I stay around 2600 calories currently, if I want to cut, I'll back down to about 2300 and start upping my cardio.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#40]
No counting.

Intermittent fasting.

I eat breakfast and lunch.  Nothing with calories after 2PM Mon-Fri.  

Weekends vary and I don't gain from those 2 days.

I walk about 7 miles a day at work, UPS driver, 5 days a week.

Went from 229 on Jan 3rd to now current weight is 195. Height is 6' even.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Nope.

Chemo makes me not want to eat, so I’m halfway to my weight loss goals in just 6 weeks!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I have more success, faster, when I track everything using an app.

But I’ve manipulated my macros for so long for different athletic ventures throughout my life that I have a pretty good guess without.

But again, when I do have more success. It’s just a pain in the ass
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
Nope.

Chemo makes me not want to eat, so I’m halfway to my weight loss goals in just 6 weeks!
View Quote

Good luck man. I pray for healing for you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:04:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snakesausage] [#44]
I don't count calories, only carbs.  Down 25 pounds in the last 4 months and never hungry. For me carbohydrates, and more specifically sugars that contribute the most to my weight.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Lost 130lbs.

Don’t monitor my calories.  Just eat smarter. No special diet.  I work out 4-6 times a week.

Just think before you eat.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:16:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tangotag] [#46]
I didn’t count calories but while doing keto. As a personal challenge with starvation around the 4th or 5th month in, I ate the same few small meals for a whole month. Each day that month, was kept under roughly 600 calories a day for that month. The weight literally shed off that month. Though socially it wasn’t easy to eat like a bird around others engorging themselves. Overall down 80 pounds in 8 months then another 19.5 pounds over the next 8 months.

I gained weight several times on keto eating in excess.

One of the easiest things to understand keto and carbs starting out: I used a postal scale measuring out the visualization of pantry foods carb grams for grams of sugar on a postage scale.  Then came up with meals that didn’t produce pyramids of sugar on the postal scale.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Move your ass and stop eating processed food.  You will lose weight without counting anything.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#48]
No.

I eat very few carbs and try not to drink too much beer.

Lots of meat, lots of protein, no sugar etc.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:28:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#49]
No.

Exercise, don't eat a lot of sugar or carbs and when you eat other things don't eat the same amount of food in one meal that would feed a family of eight in Viet Nam.

And alcohol makes you fat.  3 beers or 5 shots is a little less than a Big Mac. In addition, slows metabolism and burns less calories.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:46:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#50]
Anyone that wants to lose weight should track their calories.

It's the most simple gauge for where your baseline should be and one of the easiest variables to manipulate.

I need to bump my calories. I'm down 8 lbs in the last 8 weeks. Too much work and not enough food.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top