Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/1/2024 4:07:07 AM EDT
This just popped up in my YouTube feed.

From the 6:55 mark there is some pretty graphic footage of bodies and body parts on the ground.

I have questions, I know a plane crash is a violent event, but what causes the bodies to rip apart?

I could understand the burns, there is usually fire involved, I could understand crushing or impact damage to a body, but the ripping apart, what mechanism would there be for that? The plane breaking apart and the body being in both sections at the same time? Hollywood like explosions?

Ghosts of PSA Flight 182 *MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY*
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#1]

But it do....
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
One of my BIL's roommates was living near the wreckage.  He had a photo album of pictures that he took.   Yep, it was gruesome.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Think 'meat bag.'
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
but what causes the bodies to rip apart?
View Quote

Physics

human bodies rip apart pretty easily.

impact force is a motherfucker
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:33:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#5]
Commercial jets are moving very fast. Especially when they smash into the ground. Bodies can come apart in car crashes, some jets can be moving almost ten times as fast as that when they impact the ground.

There's no magical explosions, just physics.

When there's a catastrophic crash like this, the airliner company lawyers will argue that the plane impacted the ground going so fast, that the human brain could not register it fast enough to feel pain.

They leverage that to pay the families of the dead less.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:38:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if seat belt break clean before they cut you in half…
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:45:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CommonwealthKid] [#7]
Not a lucky flight number:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriwijaya_Air_Flight_182
= 535 deaths.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By somaliskinnypirate:
https://www.pw.live/exams/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/OIP.jpeg

But it do....
View Quote

That's it right there. Energy is a hell of a thing…..

OP, now take a look at what a M829 sabot round does to the humans in the tank on the receiving end. At least with a A/C crash you know you're looking at humans…..
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:57:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mach:
Physics
View Quote

Think of the kinetic energy a human body has moving at 50mph.  At 500mph the same body has 100x as much kinetic energy as it does at 50mph.  When the body comes to a stop that energy has to be dissipated.  Compared to an aluminum airplane, the ground, and building materials like wood/brick/concrete the body is the weakest link.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:12:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Shung:
I wonder if seat belt break clean before they cut you in half…
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the answers guys.

So, if I understand correctly,  at least part of the reason for all the ripped apart boddies, is the sudden stopping from high speed.

Some parts stop and other parts may not stop at the same time or rate and rip off, like, an arm or leg is still going 500mph when the torso stops on impact, those limbs tear off.

It makes sense. I suppose there'd be some, for want of a better term, splatter injury / damage too, like when a body falls from a hight off a building, the sudden stop te energy will go in all directions ans some parts will go with it.

Thanks again for the answers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#12]
So that's what's meant by 'human remains.'
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#13]
There is a reason they take a footprint of crewmen who fly in high performance jets.  Let us imagine for a moment, a fighter getting scraped off the desert at a low angle while going 500 mph.  Or a fighter in a smoking hole that hit our blessed Mother Earth going straight down at 1000 mph.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:03:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By xciapup:
There is a reason they take a footprint of crewmen who fly in high performance jets.  Let us imagine for a moment, a fighter getting scraped off the desert at a low angle while going 500 mph.  Or a fighter in a smoking hole that hit our blessed Mother Earth going straight down at 1000 mph.
View Quote

A friend of mine died when impacting the ground at high speed.

All that was left of him was what was in the half of a boot that they found.

But I don't remember ever providing a footprint. Maybe I don't remember.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Deceleration poisoning
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Berettadeprived:
Thanks for the answers guys.

So, if I understand correctly,  at least part of the reason for all the ripped apart boddies, is the sudden stopping from high speed.

Some parts stop and other parts may not stop at the same time or rate and rip off, like, an arm or leg is still going 500mph when the torso stops on impact, those limbs tear off.

It makes sense. I suppose there'd be some, for want of a better term, splatter injury / damage too, like when a body falls from a hight off a building, the sudden stop te energy will go in all directions ans some parts will go with it.

Thanks again for the answers.
View Quote

I'm sure the airplane turning into a meet grinder of shredded metal has a lot to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:33:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#17]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Berettadeprived:
View Quote

Kinetic energy is proportional to the square of speed.  So imagine a car hitting a wall at 50mph and how violent that is.  Then imagine a plane at 500mph - 10x the speed means your body has 100x as much kinetic energy.  All that energy has to be dissipated when you stop.  

The soft squishy body is by far the weakest link when you’re talking about an aluminum airplane hitting dirt, concrete, steel, etc.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:40:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#19]
Originally Posted By Matt_Hunter:
View Quote

What is it with recent users just jumping right to Reddit type responses. Insulting, condescending, pompous, divisive, etc.  

I would hate working with a person that behaves like this.

Someone asks a legitimate question in a place with people that he KNOWS have real-life experience, and he can interact with them.

Have some respect.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 1badf350:

I'm sure the airplane turning into a meet grinder of shredded metal has a lot to do with it.
View Quote

right? how is this a question lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:44:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#21]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Science and shit
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#23]
OP, I had a flight instructor that did a college internship with the NTSB many years ago. I believe it was a 20 series Lear accident that made her decide against accident investigation as a career goal.

Apparently the jet's wing hooked a tree during the crash sequence and pivoted the aircraft hard enough to paint one wall of the cabin with the remains of the occupants.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:48:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ninjaman] [#24]
View Quote
Deleted after watching video.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I remember getting my footprint done in 1985 or so.  It was several months after we’d lost a B-52.  I guess the ‘higher up’s’ decided even us lowly bomber pukes needed to have some remains identified.  I didn’t get the DNA kit done until a few years later.  Even then, we had several crashes where the remains were buried together.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
Commercial jets are moving very fast. Especially when they smash into the ground. Bodies can come apart in car crashes, some jets can be moving almost ten times as fast as that when they impact the ground.

There's no magical explosions, just physics.

When there's a catastrophic crash like this, the airliner company lawyers will argue that the plane impacted the ground going so fast, that the human brain could not register it fast enough to feel pain.

They leverage that to pay the families of the dead less.
View Quote

I imagine there was plenty of terror for about a minute or two, though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I am interested in aviation and have studied a lot of air disasters, but have not seen that video.

We are all bags of meat and water. Every time you get in a car and drive down a 2 way highway, you are about 2 feet from being splattered. Try to stay unsplattered.

The purpose of this shit show in which us meat bags are subjected to this kind of shit is something I have yet to make sense of.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I was a UH/AH-1 mech in the Marines. I was at NAS El Centro for training in 2018 when a CH-53 from the squadron we were sharing a hangar with crashed into the mountainside. They used two of our Hueys to recover the bodies.

Nothing like being woke up at 2am and told there was a mishap and going to stand in formation to watch Hueys fly in and guys march in formation to pull the body bags.

That was just a helicopter and the body bags were essentially just body parts. I can’t imagine the impact from an airliner. That’s an astronomical difference in speed and velocity. I doubt they even recovered DNA from everyone onboard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#29]
While going through a LE training academy I back in 92, we were shown this along with the unreleased stuff as to desensitize us for the real deal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Someone posted crash photos of that airliner the  Russians shot down over Ukraine a few years ago. The victims were intact, looked like they were sleeping,

Also, a friend of mine had a brother on that PSA flight. OP, how would you feel if someone your cared for turned up in a snuff video?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:20:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: couchlord] [#31]
Duped somehow.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:22:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#32]
Originally Posted By phatmax:

What is it with recent users just jumping right to Reddit type responses. Insulting, condescending, pompous, divisive, etc.  

Someone asks a legitimate question in a place with people that he KNOWS have real-life experience, and he can interact with them.

Have some respect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Have some respect.

You forgot join date/post count.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:23:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#33]

Have some respect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Have some respect.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:30:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bikedamon] [#34]
Several people on the ground killed too. That always gets me even more for some reason, the thought you could just be in your home minding your own business and then a plane crashes into you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:37:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#35]
My Aunt and four cousins remains are in there somewhere. Northwest Orient 706.

It happens fast, but I’m sure a few seconds of terror. All because of a mechanics f up.

" />
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Bugs splatter on a windshield at speeds of 45 mph.  The energy there is relatively low and bugs are pretty tough compared to humans.

Imagine 100x the energy on creatures 100x larger 10,000x heavier and inside aluminum tubes filled with seats, other bodies, luggage, metal, and plastic suddenly collapsing, exploding, stopping, twisting and breaking all at the same time in a tiny fraction of a second.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:53:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: networkguru] [#37]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
Several people on the ground killed too. That always gets me even more for some reason, the thought you could just be in your home minding your own business and then a plane crashes into you.
View Quote

There was a plane that crashed in Jersey? on approach in the early 2000's due to icing I think.
Killed people on the ground in their house.  
One account was, my family member went to the kitchen for a snack.
Next moment, no more kitchen.
Life is brutal.

Colgan Air 3407

eta. It was Karen Wielinski's husband Doug and he had just gone upstairs to bed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:53:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#38]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:58:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#39]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
View Quote

Old friend of mine lived on that street when PSA 182 went down.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#41]
back in the old days (mid-late 90s) when Discovery and TLC showed actual decent documentaries, there was a series all about plane wrecks and how they 'solved' them forensically.  Lots of graphic footage.

Thing that got me was how you could have a person sitting in a seat, still strapped in, looking basically fine.  Next to them though, would be just a torso strapped in.  I remember one time, I think the crash was down in south america, they showed all the bodies hung up in the tree tops.  Most were naked as well, cause as they fell from 20,000+ feet, the speed of the wind ripped the clothes...and skin right off the bodies.  the narrator commented that their suffering wouldn't have lasted long, because of the extreme cold temperatures, and the inability to breathe, both because of the thin atmosphere, but also the speed of the wind, you can't inhale or exhale anyway.  

Seems a horrible way to go.  especially when you consider most of these people are going on vacation, or commuting to work.  :(

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

When I was in Flight Engineer school (1986( I had to go to the base clinic and they made footprints to go into my medical records. Probably not as big of a thing today with DNA technology.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

My memory ain't what it used to be, but I think I did in about 1985.  Left foot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:49:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#44]
View Quote

Why buy a membership to an online forum only to not discuss various topics. That's college educated right there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:56:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#45]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:00:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#46]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Got footprints taken at the start of UPT.  I remember because one guy made the comment that it was strange to get footprints taken instead of fingers.  He was a little unnerved when we explained why.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Have some respect.
View Quote

It’s not new.   There have been members like this since at least when I started looking at GD around 2013.   Extreme introverts with no social skills.   Been the “victim “ of the treatment myself for a very innocent question about what agency flies blue white and gold Bell 412 Huey types, when I saw 3-4 of them flying overhead some time ago.    There’s a lot of hood generous people here.   There’s also always been the absolute dregs of humanity here.   No different than anywhere else, unfortunately
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:06:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#49]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Have some respect.
View Quote

Just weak ass trolling
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top