Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2023 7:48:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoneB1B]
I’m looking for a bike for short ( one hour ) fitness rides after work on convenient but shitty roads .
My 59 YO wrists and shoulders would appreciate a soft fork, adjustable or carbon fiber.

My Trek Domane is great when I can use it on smoother pavement, but rough roads transmit shock to my wrists and shoulders.

I’m considering the Trek mountain bikes with adjustable forks or the FX Sports with the carbon fiber frames.
I’m keeping the budget under $2k.

Suggestions?

ETA: I ended up with a gen 4 Dual Sport,  $750.
Lot of bike for the $.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I have put about 400 miles on my FX3 this summer on light gravel and paved walking/biking paths that are not smooth.  It has the front carbon fork,  i didn't want the duel sport because of the added weight of the suspension.   It is plenty bumpy.  It is my first real bike and the bumps don't really bother me much though.  Maybe a duel sport,  or the fx plus some fatter tires?
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:
I have put about 400 miles on my FX3 this summer on light gravel and paved walking/biking paths that are not smooth.  It has the front carbon fork,  i didn't want the duel sport because of the added weight of the suspension.   It is plenty bumpy.  It is my first real bike and the bumps don't really bother me much though.  Maybe a duel sport,  or the fx plus some fatter tires?
View Quote

I’m thinking the FX Sport, all Carbon fiber, probably a 4.
The Dual Sport is also a player.

The FX Sports have a bigger tire.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a DS 2 that I use for work and back or rids with the kids.  Over all I like it but its the only bike I have that still uses tubes and the wheel are not tubless friendly.  I will say the fork is nice when the road gets bad.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rustybob:
I have a DS 2 that I use for work and back or rids with the kids.  Over all I like it but its the only bike I have that still uses tubes and the wheel are not tubless friendly.  I will say the fork is nice when the road gets bad.
View Quote

DS is tubeless-ready, but with a 1x drivetrain.
I’ve ridden for 30 years, so tubes are fine. I put Tuffy Strips in anything that goes off-road, since I’ve come to hate flats
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Specialized Diverge. A gravel bike is probably a good fit for your needs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, check out the Facebook page Pedals, Bikes, and Junk (PB&J).
It is a very active buy/sell site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top