BCM
User Panel

Page / 350
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
There is one thing that I absolutely HATE about keto, for the first week or so it makes my ADD worse and my meds worthless. Hopefully I'll level back out in the next few days.
View Quote

It will.
It is one of the recommended diets for ADD and could reduce or eliminate your need for meds.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:

It's my understanding that you shouldn't add milk to your Bulletproof coffee.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eracer:
Originally Posted By Geohans:
Originally Posted By Strikeforces:
How do you reach the fat macros?

Eating some kind of oil by itself....?

Dark meat;
Butter with EVERYTHING;
Fatty cuts like ribeye;
coconut oil/butter/cream in your coffee.  Lots of olive oil too.

When you have some Kerrygold grass fed butter on the table and you can't resist just scooping some up and putting it in your mouth to let it melt on your tongue, you'll know you're in.

All good advice.

I cook with ghee, which is clarified butter, and has a smoke point of 485°, which makes it great for high-temp frying.

Also, buy MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) Oil.  It's derived from coconut oil, and is a practically odorless, tasteless awesome source of very healthy, easily-digestable fat energy.

Bulletproof coffee:

2C black coffee
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp MCT Oil
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

Blend well with an immersion blender.  If you don't have an immersion blender, buy one.

What's wrong with heavy cream?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes

Dark meat;

Butter with EVERYTHING;

Fatty cuts like ribeye;

When you have some Kerrygold grass fed butter on the table and you can't resist just scooping some up and putting it in your mouth to let it melt on your tongue, you'll know you're in.

All good advice.

I cook with ghee, which is clarified butter, and has a smoke point of 485°, which makes it great for high-temp frying.

Also, buy MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) Oil.  It's derived from coconut oil, and is a practically odorless, tasteless awesome source of very healthy, easily-digestable fat energy.

Bulletproof coffee:

2C black coffee

2 Tbsp butter

2 Tbsp MCT Oil

2 Tbsp heavy cream

1/8 tsp vanilla extract

Blend well with an immersion blender.  If you don't have an immersion blender, buy one.

Unless you're talking about it being an issue for the recipe, heavy cream is carb free unlike milk, half and half, and light cream. You can even add water to heavy cream to simulate milk if you really crave it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Just tried this and its great. Thanks for the idea.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
Been doing Keto almost a month now. I've lost 3.6 pounds in the last week. I go to the gym at least 4 times a week and mostly use a treadmill and monitor my heart rate constantly. I have a problem getting enough calories sometimes as I'm shooting for about 1700 but I also factor in calories of the workout so some days I'll be eating 2500 to 3000 based on activity.

I try to maintain under 30g carb and shoot for 80% fat intake. If I'm I'm running a big calorie deficit I have no problem stopping and getting food anywhere even a double quarter pounder w/no bun can be ordered at McDonald's. I don't miss bread at all. I eat to keep calories up not because I'm hungry. I drink mostly water.

Going to have 3 eggs blended with 3 oz of cream cheese and cinnamon then cooked as a pancake for breakfast. I use zero carb zero calorie syrup and I'll have about 4 oz of jimmy dean spicy sausage that I smoked and vacuum sealed last weekend.

Oh and at the gym I my endurance is climbing significantly, I don't run out of energy like all the other people you see dragging at the end of their workouts.

Another thing as far as alcohol, drink real alcohol. Scotch is my go to but lately I've been making old fashions using rye whiskey, bitters and stevia and they are quite good.

Others are right it's got to be a lifestyle change.

I use different flavor stevias in mine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

Dark meat;
Butter with EVERYTHING;
Fatty cuts like ribeye;

All good advice.

Bulletproof coffee:

2C black coffee
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp MCT Oil
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

You shouldn't drink milk at all. Cream is perfectly ok.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

View All Quotes

Dark meat;
Butter with EVERYTHING;
Fatty cuts like ribeye;

All good advice.

Bulletproof coffee:

2C black coffee
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp MCT Oil
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

Dave Asprey says it binds with the healthy fats and doesn't absorb well or something like that and is sub optimal. It was on a podcast a while back.
Do the cream in your second cup if you want.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
View All Quotes

Dark meat;
Butter with EVERYTHING;
Fatty cuts like ribeye;

All good advice.

Bulletproof coffee:

2C black coffee
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp MCT Oil
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

I haven't drank milk in about 7 months. I could probably down a whole gallon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Dave Asprey says it binds with the healthy fats and doesn't absorb well or something like that and is sub optimal. It was on a podcast a while back.
View Quote

That doesn't make any sense.  Butter is just heavy cream in solid form.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't drank milk in about 7 months. I could probably down a whole gallon.
View Quote

I used to LOVE it. But it didn't love me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By OnlineAllTheTime:

View All Quotes

Bulletproof
"Adding cream, milk, nut milk, sugar, or honey WRECKS the effects – The glorious effects of drinking Bulletproof® Coffee, like better brain function, increased energy, and normalized weight, can be canceled out when things like cream, milk, nut milk, sugar, and honey are added to the recipe. Each of these foods change insulin response, stop autophagy, or cause inflammation. These physiological/biochemical changes in your body equals a foggy brain, hunger, and fat gain."
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Bulletproof
"Adding cream, milk, nut milk, sugar, or honey WRECKS the effects – The glorious effects of drinking Bulletproof® Coffee, like better brain function, increased energy, and normalized weight, can be canceled out when things like cream, milk, nut milk, sugar, and honey are added to the recipe. Each of these foods change insulin response, stop autophagy, or cause inflammation. These physiological/biochemical changes in your body equals a foggy brain, hunger, and fat gain."
View All Quotes

Bulletproof

I know he said it.  Still doesn't make any sense.  I could take heavy cream right now and whip it up into butter and put it into my coffee and that would be ok.  But the liquid cream would not.  Explain that.  

I've been doing mine with a tablespoon of grassfed butter, a tablespoon of MCT oil, 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream and a couple squirts of stevia sweetener since April 1st and haven't experienced any of those negative effects.  

I agree that each person should do what works for them but I'll never buy that unwhipped butter is bad while whipped butter is good.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Bulletproof
View All Quotes

Bulletproof

Cream with sugar is not the same as heavy cream.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Bulletproof

Good point.  I always call those creamERS.  I can see where some would just call them cream though.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I do 1 tablespoon each of cream, kerrygold, and coconut oil, and chocolate stevia. The point is to get fat. The point of the bulletproof branded stuff is to make the owner money.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
Been doing Keto almost a month now. I've lost 3.6 pounds in the last week. I go to the gym at least 4 times a week and mostly use a treadmill and monitor my heart rate constantly. I have a problem getting enough calories sometimes as I'm shooting for about 1700 but I also factor in calories of the workout so some days I'll be eating 2500 to 3000 based on activity.

I try to maintain under 30g carb and shoot for 80% fat intake. If I'm I'm running a big calorie deficit I have no problem stopping and getting food anywhere even a double quarter pounder w/no bun can be ordered at McDonald's. I don't miss bread at all. I eat to keep calories up not because I'm hungry. I drink mostly water.

Going to have 3 eggs blended with 3 oz of cream cheese and cinnamon then cooked as a pancake for breakfast. I use zero carb zero calorie syrup and I'll have about 4 oz of jimmy dean spicy sausage that I smoked and vacuum sealed last weekend.

Oh and at the gym I my endurance is climbing significantly, I don't run out of energy like all the other people you see dragging at the end of their workouts.

Another thing as far as alcohol, drink real alcohol. Scotch is my go to but lately I've been making old fashions using rye whiskey, bitters and stevia and they are quite good.

Others are right it's got to be a lifestyle change.

I originally added sweetener but when I found carb free syrup there was no need.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:I originally added sweetener but when I found carb free syrup there was no need.
View Quote

I try to keep the sugar alcohols limited, or else my gut gets torn up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:35:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HappyCamel] [#17]

Bulletproof

View All Quotes

Bulletproof

Yeah that's some pseudoscience boolsheet to sell his MCT oil. Don't get me wrong, MCT is great and very targeted, but cream isn't turning you into a newt.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I do 1 tablespoon each of cream, kerrygold, and coconut oil, and chocolate stevia. The point is to get fat. The point of the bulletproof branded stuff is to make the owner money.
View Quote

We start with the disclaimer that I sell bullet proof products in my store and they are fantastic. They are expensive though.
I sell more of it than the no name products and the customers are farmers, ranchers, LEO's and oilmen so its not a fufu issue.
I will try to find the science behind the cream thing. I have seen it and it made me a believer.

My bulletproof recipes
20oz three peckered billy goat coffee
2 TBSP coconut oil Tropical traditions gold.
2 TBSP MCT oil Now Brand
2 TBSP Butter Red Feather
2 TBSP Collagen powder Bulletproof brand
1 TBSP cacao butter Bulletproof brand
1 TSP Stevita chocolate powder
1/2 TSP Ground vanilla beans Bulletproof brand
cinnamon to taste
3-5 drops K2  Thorne brand
sometimes I add turmeric

Every day is not the same.

I gave a customer a sample  
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#19]

They actually have a low carb menu
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By davisac:

Going to Cracker Barrel tonight. First time eating out since starting this.

Before I went low carb I had pancakes - with sugar-free maple syrup.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
Going to Cracker Barrel tonight. First time eating out since starting this.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#21]

We start with the disclaimer that I sell bullet proof products in my store and they are fantastic. They are expensive though.

I sell more of it than the no name products and the customers are farmers, ranchers, LEO's and oilmen so its not a fufu issue.

I will try to find the science behind the cream thing. I have seen it and it made me a believer.

My bulletproof recipes

2 TBSP MCT oil Now Brand

cinnamon to taste

sometimes I add turmeric

View All Quotes

My bulletproof recipes

2 TBSP MCT oil Now Brand

cinnamon to taste

sometimes I add turmeric

I'd assume the cream thing is based on the whole "dairy is an inflammatory and not compatible with humans" deal, like how it's addressed in Paleo.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Dark meat;

Butter with EVERYTHING;

Fatty cuts like ribeye;

All good advice.

Bulletproof coffee:

2C black coffee

2 Tbsp butter

2 Tbsp MCT Oil

2 Tbsp heavy cream

1/8 tsp vanilla extract

I hadn't heard that.  I wonder why not.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
  I'd assume the cream thing is based on the whole "dairy is an inflammatory and not compatible with humans" deal, like how it's addressed in Paleo.
View Quote

Cream (and butter) are at the heavy end of the dairy spectrum, and typically don't effect people like lighter things.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Some of us have no problems with dairy though.

I can eat 3 scoops of whey and 4 tablespoons of heavy cream and don't even fart.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Today is my 6th day of being back on Keto and things are getting better. My ADD is back under control and my endurance and strength are climbing back up.

Went Kayak fishing with a fried of mine today, was on the water from 6:30 am to 1:30 pm and paddled over 10 miles. I hit a wall, HARD, on the paddle in. Lost all energy, was out of breath and weak. I pushed through it and started feeling better when I hit the wall again. Pushed through it once more and felt even better.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#26]

I can eat 3 scoops of whey and 4 tablespoons of heavy cream and don't even fart.
View All Quotes

I had two scoops of muscle milk, two cups of almond milk, and 8 tbsp of heavy cream for breakfast today and felt great.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

All good advice.

Bulletproof coffee:

2C black coffee

2 Tbsp butter

2 Tbsp MCT Oil

2 Tbsp heavy cream

1/8 tsp vanilla extract

Let me consult Dave Asprey's (inventor of Bulletproof Coffee) book, The Bulletproof Diet:

Pasteurized milk competes with only gluten as the most allergenic substance in the Western diet, and is associated with a host of autoimmune conditions, osteporosis, arthritis, heart disease, cancer and autism. (p177-178)

Plus there's the whole factory farming, grain-fed thing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#28]
If anyone is using the MyFitnessPal website (not the app) this is a cool script to add a "net carbs" column.

https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Dave Asprey is a tool for wanting you to put butter in your coffee and not heavy cream.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:22:01 PM EDT
[#30]

If anyone is using the MyFitnessPal website (not the app) this is a cool script to add a "net carbs" column.

http://i.imgur.com/OQBapqu.png
View Quote
Great idea, but I can't get it to work on Safari.

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By forker:
View All Quotes

As far as I know it only works in Chrome with Tampermonkey, and in Firefox with Greasemonkey.

http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes

You installed Tampermonkey for Safari first?
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#33]
A gross question for you experienced keto folks.

I've been on the keto diet for two weeks and started having issues with constipation the past few days. Today I finally got past that issue and noticed slight steatorrhea. I've had issues that I felt were gall bladder related in the past, so I'm slightly concerned that my body may not be processing fat as well as it should. Are there any warning signs I should be on the lookout for, if this diet is causing me health issues?
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BillythePoet:

I've been on the keto diet for two weeks and started having issues with constipation the past few days. Today I finally got past that issue and noticed slight steatorrhea. I've had issues that I felt were gall bladder related in the past, so I'm slightly concerned that my body may not be processing fat as well as it should. Are there any warning signs I should be on the lookout for, if this diet is causing me health issues?
View Quote

Possibly, I'd get your gallbladder checked
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I normally get the flying shits in the introductory phase, I would assume it's my body dumping water weight.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By midcap:

I normally get the flying shits in the introductory phase, I would assume it's my body dumping water weight.
View All Quotes

Steatorrhea isn't normal,  ever though.  Without chugging olive oil anyway.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

Yeah I had to google that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

I had loose stool 90% of the time my first 4 months on Keto. In hindsight I probably had a parasite or something. Cheated a couple weekends and it went away, doesn't happen much anymore unless I have my morning coffee and a dip.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

You will have intestinal variability - especially if you are taking magnesium substitutes.

Things will eventually settle down.  I wouldn't ignore cramping or abdominal pain.

Also, test your BP regularly.  Mine spiked pretty hard for a few days because I'd let my electrolytes get out of whack.  Keto will deplete you of sodium, magnesium, potassium, and chloride - enough to potentially cause some cardiac issues.  Also, make sure you are drinking a gallon of water a day.

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I did get pretty dehydrated Saturday. They may have been the issue.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Today is my 6th day of being back on Keto and things are getting better. My ADD is back under control and my endurance and strength are climbing back up.

Went Kayak fishing with a fried of mine today, was on the water from 6:30 am to 1:30 pm and paddled over 10 miles. I hit a wall, HARD, on the paddle in. Lost all energy, was out of breath and weak. I pushed through it and started feeling better when I hit the wall again. Pushed through it once more and felt even better.
View Quote

Almost adapted, but not quite.  

I'm in a similar boat-- pun intended.  When I get off track and have to retransition, I feel weakness and fatigue as my body struggles to produce enough ketones.

But I know it's worth it, and so do you.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#42]

I had two scoops of muscle milk, two cups of almond milk, and 8 tbsp of heavy cream for breakfast today and felt great.
View All Quotes

I used to do similar; then I learned a bit more about the chemicals in Muscle Milk and similar products, and decided I could just go with the real stuff.

It's not real food.  Only reason for it is to up protein, which you don't need on KETO.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Just choked down about 7 ozs. of magnesium citrate.....

aweful...
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#44]

I'm in a similar boat-- pun intended.  When I get off track and have to retransition, I feel weakness and fatigue as my body struggles to produce enough ketones.

View All Quotes

I felt rough all day today. I'm really sore, kind of weak, and  was hungry all day. I also felt like I couldn't drink enough water and was craving salt. A drank two glasses of water with a 1/4 tsp of regular and low sodium salt and ate a couple of avacodos to help up my electrolytes. I have also been using a topical magnesium gel twice a day. Hopefully it won't take too much longer to adapt.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#45]

I used to do similar; then I learned a bit more about the chemicals in Muscle Milk and similar products, and decided I could just go with the real stuff.

It's not real food.  Only reason for it is to up protein, which you don't need on KETO.
View All Quotes

I use it as a quick way to get some low carb calories in my system first thing in the morning. I can't eat solid food when I first wake up. I'm still looking for a healthier alternative.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Just choked down about 7 ozs. of magnesium citrate.....

aweful...
View Quote

I use a topical magnesium gel twice a day with good results.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

I'm 99 percent sure I did. Will look when I get back home tonight. Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Only been doing this a few days with MFP, but I'm having a problem meeting my requirement for protein.

Normally on the atkins in the past, I've eaten until I was satisfied then stopped.     If I do that and track it on MFP I'm below what MFP recommends for me in protein.     Do I need to look at some sort of protein supplement?  

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#49]
I've never understood these different types of diets. After asking my doctor about them he just kind of smirked at me and replied, "at the end of the day the name of the game is calories going in, calories going out."

I've been on a diet for going on two month's now, nothing special. Lots of water, about 1200 calories a day already down 20lbs. And that's with no exercise. I just stopped eating out all together, no more pop, keeping sodium intake down as low as possible and aimed for all natural chicken tenderloins as my main source of protein. It's working well for me and that's with 70% of my daily intake being nothing but carbs.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Rosenrot:
I've never understood these different types of diets. After asking my doctor about them he just kind of smirked at me and replied, "at the end of the day the name of the game is calories going in, calories going out."

I've been on a diet for going on two month's now, nothing special. Lots of water, about 1200 calories a day already down 20lbs. And that's with no exercise. I just stopped eating out all together, no more pop, keeping sodium intake down as low as possible and aimed for all natural chicken tenderloins as my main source of protein. It's working well for me and that's with 70% of my daily intake being nothing but carbs.
View Quote

Your doctor is an uneducated moron.
Page / 350
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top