Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/13/2024 10:39:35 PM EDT
For replacing an alternator on a 2016 Pilot?  Anyone know what the official "book time" is for the labor.  Of course they bent me over and broke it off with the reman Honda alternator for $700.  Shitty part is I replaced it about 2 years ago at a small shop, and think I was out the door with labor and part for around $7-800. Can't remember.  Honda quoted 4hrs labor.  Battery light came on yesterday and a friend is the service advisor so she squeezed me in today.  I wasn't expecting $1450 for a fucking alternator, plus the $150 diagnostic fee.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By youngandfree:
For replacing an alternator on a 2016 Pilot?  Anyone know what the official "book time" is for the labor.  Of course they bent me over and broke it off with the reman Honda alternator for $700.  Shitty part is I replaced it about 2 years ago at a small shop, and think I was out the door with labor and part for around $7-800. Can't remember.  Honda quoted 4hrs labor.  Battery light came on yesterday and a friend is the service advisor so she squeezed me in today.  I wasn't expecting $1450 for a fucking alternator, plus the $150 diagnostic fee.
View Quote

3.4 hours customer pay per AllData, kind of the standard.

That's $765 at our (not Honda) shop.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:45:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#2]
4 hours sounds about right.  Dealer labor rates are getting insane; which is funny, because the top dealer techs are making what they made about 10 years ago(Which is why all the good guys started their own shops, went to work for indy shops that pay better or got out of the industry altogether)  

I'm guessing  $200/hr at Honda.  I know the highlines are $300+.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
For replacing an alternator ............................ a friend is the service advisor so she squeezed me ..
                                                                                                     I wasn't expecting $1450 for a fucking.
(alternator)
View Quote
I think I see two problems:
One is "Dealership"
Two is "a friend"
. I'd recommend getting rid of BOTH.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:
4 hours sounds about right.  Dealer labor rates are getting insane; which is funny, because the top dealer techs are making what they made about 10 years ago(Which is why all the good guys started their own shops, went to work for indy shops that pay better or got out of the industry altogether)  

View Quote
she said first hr is 175, then each extra goes up 1%.  Cocksuckers
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:36:32 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Holy shit, I thought $600 for a Camry alternator was a Highway robbery. They’re not even giving you any lube and that diagnostic fee should be refunded back because you’re doing the service with them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Positronic:
I think I see two problems:
One is "Dealership"
Two is "a friend"
. I'd recommend getting rid of BOTH.
View Quote

My friend just checked in the vehicle, she doesn't set the prices.  I just won't take it back for anything.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

Did That include anal and ass to mouth ?

Shit I hope you get a rusty trombone thrown in that deal too!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Why is your car eating alternators?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
View Quote

Because he used a cheap aftermarket alternator for the first replacement.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:21:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wgjhsafT] [#11]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

My move is to get one off a wrecked vehicle.  OEM and usually lower miles than what I have on my cars.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:24:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: P400] [#12]
Doesn't help that most alternators are buried deep within the engine compartment.

Oh the simpler times when alternators were usually up top.

Nah, let's just put it under all of the rotating accesories that tend to leak fluids!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By P400:
Doesn't help that most alternators are buried deep within the engine compartment.

Nah, let's just put it under all of the rotating accesories that tend to leak fluids!
View Quote

At $1500 to fix it must be intentional.

What's going to break first? Starter? Inaccessible. Alternator. We'll hide it here. Heater core? Tee hee hee.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Good question.  First went on around 85,000.  Aftermarket one.   Now it's 125,000 miles.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:

What's going to break first? Starter? Inaccessible. Alternator. We'll hide it here. Heater core? Tee hee hee.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:
Originally Posted By P400:

It's like they modeled all designs after the heater core.

"No one will ever need to get to this. It's fine."
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I just dropped $1800 to replace the AC compressor on my 2015 Mustang GT.  Dealership of course.  Part alone was just under $900.  That one was my rub, but it’s done. Also included a new belt.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#17]
You can take the top radiator support off and it'll give you a little more room to work with.

Removal & install procedure
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:28:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: STL_Nik] [#18]
Whatever you do DO NOT get an aftermarket alternator. Honda has what's called ELD(electronic load detection) basically the computer controls alternator output, aftermarket alternators NEVER get this part right when they refurbish them.  I once installed 3 aftermarket alternators on an Odyssey and the "check charging system" was still on, finally my boss listened and made the customer use OEM.  Same applies to starters, aftermarket will leave you with crank position codes due to inconsistently engine speed on cranking.

15yr Honda mastertech
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I just quoted $60,000 to replace an engine in a 2016 Mercedes G550.  4.0L turbo if you're wondering.  A '23 Tahoe engine I'm replacing is going to be close to a $20,000 repair bill, to GM, under warranty.  Timing chains on a 3.0L Duramax is $6,500 in just labor to the customer, GM will pay us half that.  Put DEF in the fuel tank of your diesel?  $15,000 to $20,000 as the entire fuel system from the filler neck forward will need to be replaced.  A new pickup can cost over $100,000.  Every aspect of the automotive industry is getting out of hand and the average person can't afford it.  Two of my cars have 150,000 miles on them and one has nearly 180,000 miles and I really don't want to replace them with newer stuff due to cost and generally worse reliability and quality.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:36:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3BP] [#20]
Fucking disgusting.  But I am sure that you guys in the "industry" can justify it in your minds......

About two years ago, my then 16 year old son replaced the alternator in the 2007 Pilot he was driving.  With my guidance, the job took less than an hour.   But somehow these scumbag "professionals" are going to charge you for 4 hours of labor plus a retarded amount for the part itself?  I'm sure there are shop fees, disposal fees, latex glove fees, paper towel fees, etc......
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 3BP:
Fucking disgusting.  But I am sure that you guys in the "industry" can justify it in your minds......

About two years ago, my then 16 year old son replaced the alternator in the 2007 Pilot he was driving.  With my guidance, the job took less than an hour.   But somehow these scumbag "professionals" are going to charge you for 4 hours of labor plus a retarded amount for the part itself?  I'm sure there are shop fees, disposal fees, latex glove fees, paper towel fees, etc......
View Quote

Warranty time is .7 for those alternators so customer pay would be 1.2 hours  no idea where someone came up with 4 hours.  If I'm moving good is a 15 minute job, if the car is hot and customer waiting it'll take about 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By STL_Nik:

Warranty time is .7 for those alternators so customer pay would be 1.2 hours  no idea where someone came up with 4 hours.  If I'm moving good is a 15 minute job, if the car is hot and customer waiting it'll take about 45 minutes.
View All Quotes

He getting four hours from the original post about a 2016 Pilot and comparing that to his 2007 Pilot as if nothing changed in that 9 year time span to make the job more difficult.  Then he's mad at us in the "industry" as if we design the cars and create the labor times for them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Should be easy enough to get to

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By arr199:
You can take the top radiator support off and it'll give you a little more room to work with.

Removal & install procedure
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By knightkrawler00:

He getting four hours from the original post about a 2016 Pilot and comparing that to his 2007 Pilot as if nothing changed in that 9 year time span to make the job more difficult.  Then he's mad at us in the "industry" as if we design the cars and create the labor times for them.
View All Quotes

This. Bc nothing has changed on vehicles in 9 years. Does the 07 and 16 Pilot even have the same motor?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I love GD car threads.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Crash1433:

This. Bc nothing has changed on vehicles in 9 years. Does the 07 and 16 Pilot even have the same motor?
View Quote

half of GD thinks under the hood is no different than it was in 1996.

the only thing that changes on cars is the fenders, the radio and the price.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:23:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#28]

View Quote

AllData is 3.4. They’re off from time to time, but it’s usually pretty accurate.

I’ll take the 2.something they quote for a 642 starter, give me 12 of those a day

I’m joking. We do them for 1.5.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I just quoted $60,000 to replace an engine in a 2016 Mercedes G550.  4.0L turbo if you're wondering.  A '23 Tahoe engine I'm replacing is going to be close to a $20,000 repair bill, to GM, under warranty.  Timing chains on a 3.0L Duramax is $6,500 in just labor to the customer, GM will pay us half that.  Put DEF in the fuel tank of your diesel?  $15,000 to $20,000 as the entire fuel system from the filler neck forward will need to be replaced.  A new pickup can cost over $100,000.  Every aspect of the automotive industry is getting out of hand and the average person can't afford it.  Two of my cars have 150,000 miles on them and one has nearly 180,000 miles and I really don't want to replace them with newer stuff due to cost and generally worse reliability and quality.
View Quote

But bro just think of that sweet infotainment system, 87 inch touch screen, ass warmer, and auto drive everything features.  So worth it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Not much on these, really. The '16 is the first year of direct injection but it's still pretty much the same J35 as the '07.

I bought my current '13 MDX because it was the last year before the jump to direct injection. I pay in mileage but prefer the simplicity and know that particular plant pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

They start charging more per hour per hour after the 1st hour? That's f'n insane!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I was recently quoted $1,150 for 6 spark plugs and 2 coils.

I bought the parts and paid a kid $100. Kid thought I paid him too much.

My son, nephews and their friends are roundly heading toward trades. Hopefully my days needing shops are drawing to a close.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

We quoted a m177 engine in an E63s, just the part was $76k. CL600 engine was $110k

You type the part number into CDK, it gives you a price. Damn parts guys just making things up as they go.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:56:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#34]
Originally Posted By devildog3062:

They start charging more per hour per hour after the 1st hour? That's f'n insane!
View Quote

Why? It’s a sliding scale to keep the price lower on smaller repairs.

We charge 0.6 to replace a tail light bulb, that’s $135. Is that crazy? Of course. But that’s the time for the job and the labor rate. A sliding scale would drop the price a bit for the customer while not screwing the tech. Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I never thought I would say this but, I miss the Yugo. I wish they would make something simple again. Today's vehicles are becoming appliances that bark at you for everything.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#37]
This is why I generally do that type of work myself. Even take serviceability into consideration when making purchasing decisions.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Sure shit changes.

So you are saying it takes 4 hours? No fucking way. Excuse after excuse after excuse.  Anything to justify ripping people off.  
View All Quotes

Sure shit changes.

So you are saying it takes 4 hours? No fucking way. Excuse after excuse after excuse.  Anything to justify ripping people off.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Sure shit changes.

They have the same engine, but everything around it has been changed making the procedure more time consuming as more parts have to be removed because there is less room to access the alternator.  And again, the mechanics working on it didn’t design the car or create the labor times, so how is it that they’re the crooks in this situation?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#40]

They have the same engine, but everything around it has been changed making the procedure more time consuming as more parts have to be removed because there is less room to access the alternator.  And again, the mechanics working on it didn’t design the car or create the labor times, so how is it that they’re the crooks in this situation?
View Quote

So the guy that said he can do it in well under an hour is a liar??

Whoever is charging $1600 for an alternator in a honda pilot. They are the “crook”, along with anyone that supports that.

The people that pay that much are dumb/dont know any better.

Now tell me I am stupid and have no idea what I am talking about.

There is no way you will convince me that $1600 for a new alternator is ok.

But as long as they keep finding suckers to pay that kind of money, they will keep ripping people off.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:18:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#41]

Whoever is charging $1600 for an alternator in a honda pilot. They are the “crook”, along with anyone that supports that.

But as long as they keep finding suckers to pay that kind of money, they will keep ripping people off.
View Quote

AllData has the 2007 at 1.4 hours, the 2016 is 3.4 hours. An independent company whose job is to set labor times says it takes 2 hours longer.

Honda sets the parts price. You don’t weight it on a scale and slap a sticker on the box.

Everything in the world is produced for some price, marked up by every person that touches it, and sold to a consumer. Food, houses, labor, gasoline, water, fawking everything. My irrigation guy is cheap and he wants $100 an hour to dig a hole in the ground. It was $80 two years ago. That alternator was probably $1000 two years ago too. Shit is expensive.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Whatever you do DO NOT get an aftermarket alternator. Honda has what's called ELD(electronic load detection) basically the computer controls alternator output, aftermarket alternators NEVER get this part right when they refurbish them.  I once installed 3 aftermarket alternators on an Odyssey and the "check charging system" was still on, finally my boss listened and made the customer use OEM.  Same applies to starters, aftermarket will leave you with crank position codes due to inconsistently engine speed on cranking.

15yr Honda mastertech
View Quote
@STL_Nik I just replaced the OEM alternator on my 06 Accord with a reman Denso. Am I in for a tow truck ride?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
@STL_Nik I just replaced the OEM alternator on my 06 Accord with a reman Denso. Am I in for a tow truck ride?
View Quote

Denso makes the factory part so you should be good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#44]
While we're talking about Honda book time, what is a J35 timing belt going for these days?

I've got a 2019 coming up on 100k.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

The guy that said he could do it in under an hour is talking about your 2007 Pilot, not the 2016 Pilot that this whole post is about.  Nobody is arguing that the alternator on your 2007 Pilot isn't easy to change, we're talking about the alternator replacement on a 2016 Pilot.  The manufacturer and other third party companies have decided that the 2016 Pilot takes longer to replace, probably due to the car being packaged tighter around that area.  How many alternators have you changed on 2016 Pilots to know that it doesn't take that long?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#46]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
While we're talking about Honda book time, what is a J35 timing belt going for these days?

I've got a 2019 coming up on 100k.
View Quote

Book time is based on the car and the engine.

2019 Pilot 4wd with the j35 says 2.6 hours, $122 for the belt.

That sounds insane, but I don’t work on Hondas.

The Book giveth and the Book taketh away
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By devildog3062:

View Quote

That's what I told her.  But she got a $50 coupon.  🙄
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

Why? It’s a sliding scale to keep the price lower on smaller repairs.

We charge 0.6 to replace a tail light bulb, that’s $135. Is that crazy? Of course. But that’s the time for the job and the labor rate. A sliding scale would drop the price a bit for the customer while not screwing the tech. Makes sense to me.
View Quote

It's bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#49]

It's bullshit.
View Quote

all of GD when it comes to paying skilled tradesmen.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#50]

It's bullshit.
View Quote

Then it’s $185 an hour across the board. Thank you very much.

Think of it as a discount for smaller work, not a surcharge for larger work.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top