Site Notices
Page / 49
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dangerdan:
What is overlanding?
Off road for people with money?
Off road for people who never get off the pavement?
View Quote

Officially?
Vehicle dependent travel excursions.

Unofficially?
Strapping a buncha shit you don’t need on your truck to go hang out a couple miles from civilization while trying to look cool for the ‘Gram.

Me?
Driving somewhere really badass to hang out with great people, eat good food, share some drinks, tel some stories, and enjoy nature.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By LostX:

Me?
Driving somewhere really badass to hang out with great people, eat good food, share some drinks, tel some stories, and enjoy nature.
View Quote

Every bit of this!
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Officially?

Unofficially?
Strapping a buncha shit you don’t need on your truck to go hang out a couple miles from civilization while trying to look cool for the ‘Gram.

Me?
View Quote

I don’t do Insta…. How many rep points does that lose me?
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Subcanis:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Officially?

Unofficially?

Me?

Chaz is going to kick you out of the paid group ride for not generating enough content
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By thezentree:

Chaz is going to kick you out of the paid group ride for not generating enough content
View Quote

Drag. I’ll go mope at Starbucks. It’s only a block away.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:27:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 3one5:

Every bit of this!
View All Quotes

Every bit of this!

Then y’all get it. “Smiles in the miles.”

You only know if y’all know. Clear trails my friends.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#8]
What tires do you guys like for realistically daily, mostly highway driving, but notfuckingup off-road? I'll be needing new tires (and probably wheels, the stocks are gross*) soon for my Suburban. My driving is like 80% highway with some in town driving, but I don't want to get boned in snow or on muddy trails. I'm looking at probably a 265/75R16 but maybe a 285 with cutouts, need more research there. I've always thought 285s were the boss upgrade for Chevys but my Sub is pretty low and I've been there, done that with mini lifts (Superlift torsion keys, UCAs and a rear shackle on a '94 S-Blazer, I really miss that thing). The real answer is to SFA a 2500 Sub or buy a V10 Excursion.

"Any advice on takeoff wheels? This is a 2001 Sub and I always liked those OEM 5 spoke wheels. I really don't want 17s or bigger.      
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:
What tires do you guys like for realistically daily, mostly highway driving, but notfuckingup off-road? I'll be needing new tires (and probably wheels, the stocks are gross*) soon for my Suburban. My driving is like 80% highway with some in town driving, but I don't want to get boned in snow or on muddy trails. I'm looking at probably a 265/75R16 but maybe a 285 with cutouts, need more research there. I've always thought 285s were the boss upgrade for Chevys but my Sub is pretty low and I've been there, done that with mini lifts (Superlift torsion keys, UCAs and a rear shackle on a '94 S-Blazer, I really miss that thing). The real answer is to SFA a 2500 Sub or buy a V10 Excursion.

"Any advice on takeoff wheels? This is a 2001 Sub and I always liked those OEM 5 spoke wheels. I really don't want 17s or bigger.      
View Quote

The only advice I have is figure out exactly what tire you want to run first, then find rims  that meet the tires specs..You may find it advantageous to go 18" or 20" rims over 17"s depending on the tires requirements..
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#10]
The Instagram jokes are pretty funny but tbh When I burnt out on PRS matches and switched to overlanding as my obsessive hobby of choice I traveled a lot and hung out with the overlanding crowd excessively from 2016 til covid.  And the whole Instagram and monetization of social media just wasn’t really part of the scene.  It’s really only prevalent from an outsider perspective.  Once you’re on the road it’s not like normal people are stopping every 10 min to blog.  Those that do are a tiny minority and easily avoided.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Any of the all-terrain options have decent on road manners and work well off road for anything but mud. It shouldn’t be too hard to find a set of oem z71 Tahoe/suburban wheels from a used tire shop or various other places like junkyards.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Finally got some all terrains and new method mr316 wheels mounted yesterday. Stock wheels have way too much offset.

Now I just need to do a bit of plastic massaging to take care of a couple little spots that rub.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I always ran the standard Cooper ATs on my K5 and loved them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Strizzo:
Finally got some all terrains and new method mr316 wheels mounted yesterday. Stock wheels have way too much offset.

Now I just need to do a bit of plastic massaging to take care of a couple little spots that rub.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/340527/33F45C34-DAA6-4643-8CE6-7CF7DB143FA5_jpe-2467163.JPG
View Quote

Good wheel choice!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By taliv:
The Instagram jokes are pretty funny but tbh When I burnt out on PRS matches and switched to overlanding as my obsessive hobby of choice I traveled a lot and hung out with the overlanding crowd excessively from 2016 til covid.  And the whole Instagram and monetization of social media just wasn’t really part of the scene.  It’s really only prevalent from an outsider perspective.  Once you’re on the road it’s not like normal people are stopping every 10 min to blog.  Those that do are a tiny minority and easily avoided.
View Quote

You’re very accurate. Hell, a lot of people don’t even know that they’re actually overlanding in the truest definition of the word. They’re just out there adventuring.

Like the two girls we met this past trip through GTNP, Chloe and Alyssa. Recent grads from the University of Vermont and decided they wanted to move to Washington. So they packed up a Honda Pilot and hit the road. When we met them they had already spent a month on the road living out of the Pilot as much as possible to save money. They hiked, biked, camped, and were having the adventure of a lifetime meandering about our great Nation.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Strizzo:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/340527/33F45C34-DAA6-4643-8CE6-7CF7DB143FA5_jpe-2467163.JPG
View Quote

Just like the GXOR crew, I need some details! No lift? Wheels look good.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Toyo ATIII

Cooper AT3 XLT

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By taliv:
View Quote

@amped and @jafrush and I have discussed this.

Seems we never got all the fun photos as we were having too much fun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

View Quote

TBH I do enjoy taking photos as that kinda a thing I once did for a living. Also that little bit of dopamine from a photo that does well on IG is a nice reward. I tried the YT thing but it took the fun out of the adventure so I’m back to wheeling and taking photos when possible.

I guess my main take away is, take trip for the trip not the content and everything else will be just fine
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my hot tipi tent. Now I'm wood stove shopping. Hope to have everything around for winter.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Amped:

TBH I do enjoy taking photos as that kinda a thing I once did for a living. Also that little bit of dopamine from a photo that does well on IG is a nice reward. I tried the YT thing but it took the fun out of the adventure so I’m back to wheeling and taking photos when possible.

I guess my main take away is, take trip for the trip not the content and everything else will be just fine
View Quote

as a side note bring your DSLR on the next trip, need more of these

@amped
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

That’s how I am.  It’d be cool to have photos sure, but I’m always flabbergasted when I’m out and about or at a concert and everyone is walking around looking at their screens instead of just absorbing and being in the moment.  

To each their own.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:44:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fosters] [#23]
Bit of a throw back here…
My series 1 disco…back in 2010 or so before “overlanding” was a thing…
Attachment Attached File

Full saftey devices cage,
Arb air lockers front and rear
Dual batteries
Armor
Winch M12000
Engel fridge freezer
Onboard air
Xpplore tablet pc with nav

It was pretty well set up….but cost me the earth in maintenance and replacement cment parts
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Giggity.

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:11:55 AM EDT
[#27]
What's the go to and budget overland bed rack? 2022 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6'4" bed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:30:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4AZ] [#28]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Not to overboard, just the right amount of what I need. Diamondback bed cover with kbvoodoo rack and storage compartment. Tepui tent.

Wouldn’t call myself an overlander per say but I like to have a place to sleep wherever I drive my truck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By M4AZ:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/448813/9FD69E80-8053-4295-B75A-FF32DD354C0D_jpe-2472534.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/448813/5DD327AC-0013-43A9-9CBB-910C03A1F8D7_jpe-2472535.JPG
Not to overboard, just the right amount of what I need. Diamondback bed cover with kbvoodoo rack and storage compartment. Tepui tent.

Wouldn’t call myself an overlander per say but I like to have a place to sleep wherever I drive my truck.
View Quote

Hey man thats pretty cool. Location and set up
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Where in TN?

Curisoity intesifies
View Quote

@finslayer83

My buddy lives toward Columbia, so we go to that Dirt Devil trail system with our kids for some day trips sometimes.  Sometimes venture off the map a bit too
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Put my RCI rock sliders on last night.  Super solid.

https://i.imgur.com/6lvO0IO.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JdbU25N.jpg
View Quote

@3one5

Been eyeing those for my 4th Gen 4R for a while.  Look awesome

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By PewAddictAnonymous:

@finslayer83

My buddy lives toward Columbia, so we go to that Dirt Devil trail system with our kids for some day trips sometimes.  Sometimes venture off the map a bit too
View Quote

Interesting. I’ve done 90% of it.

Recall if that was near Primm Springs?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I am about to mount my ham radio in 4runner. Anyone have any photos of the interior cab radio mount, antenna location?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:
View Quote

Not exactly budget but RCI in Colorado makes a great product that will fit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By M4AZ:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/448813/9FD69E80-8053-4295-B75A-FF32DD354C0D_jpe-2472534.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/448813/5DD327AC-0013-43A9-9CBB-910C03A1F8D7_jpe-2472535.JPG

View Quote

Very nice setup!

Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like my Wife is onboard with getting a roof top tent for the M1102 trailer.  Looking at the ikamper Skycamp 3.0.  I want a hardshell and the space of a king size bed sounds great as we have little ones that come along camping.  I also like the annex they make though I don't think they make it for the Skycamp 3.0 yet.  

Does anyone own an ikamper RTT?  Should I be looking at other options?  It looks like they will be at Overland Expo so that'll give us a chance to have a look at them in person.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like my Wife is onboard with getting a roof top tent for the M1102 trailer.  Looking at the ikamper Skycamp 3.0.  I want a hardshell and the space of a king size bed sounds great as we have little ones that come along camping.  I also like the annex they make though I don't think they make it for the Skycamp 3.0 yet.  

Does anyone own an ikamper RTT?  Should I be looking at other options?  It looks like they will be at Overland Expo so that'll give us a chance to have a look at them in person.
View Quote

Hard shell is the way and iKamper makes one of the best. Never owned one but seen them in use. I’ve done the ARB Simpson and 23 Zero walk about and liked each of them as an idea but hated setting them up and tearing them down with every river in my body.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Officially?

Unofficially?

Me?
View All Quotes
What is overlanding?

Officially?

Unofficially?

Me?

So you still Strap a buncha shit you don’t need on your truck to go hang out a couple miles from civilization while trying to look cool for the ‘Gram.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By AL25:

So you still Strap a buncha shit you don’t need on your truck to go hang out a couple miles from civilization while trying to look cool for the ‘Gram.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AL25:
What is overlanding?

Officially?

Unofficially?

Me?

He has posted AAR's of gnarly trail runs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#40]
"Overlanding" = buying a bunch of expensive stuff to throw on your expensive Toyota/Jeep and then driving 500 miles to an old mining road in Colorado so you can sleep in your expensive rooftop tent.

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Beautiful, where is this?
View All Quotes

Right outside Parker, Arizona.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
"Overlanding" = buying a bunch of expensive stuff to throw on your expensive Toyota/Jeep and then driving 500 miles to an old mining road in Colorado so you can sleep in your expensive rooftop tent.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I don’t see what you’re getting at. Sounds good to me
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Awesome Self Recovery

Check this out. Thats some good use of snatch blocks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Trails in the morning, waves in the afternoon.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Question for those more involved in the community than I am, but what would you gauge the interest in a 1999 5-speed 4 runner to be?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By stampkolektor:
https://i.imgur.com/6rT0rWu.jpg

Trails in the morning, waves in the afternoon.
View Quote

Where is this badassery?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By stampkolektor:
Awesome Self Recovery

Check this out. Thats some good use of snatch blocks.
View Quote

That's pretty badass.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

I don't think I'll ever understand people here.  You see the exact same thing from liberals and our guns.  "Well why do you need that black gun with all the bullets and that hand thing that goes on the front?  You don't need that for hunting or target practice.". If you have the resources what's the problem with getting something that makes you happy?  Sure a hamburger will fill me up at dinner time but damn that 16oz ribeye is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

Looks like they have a good system that would work for me, but shipping is a bit much.
Page / 49
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top