Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Smoked/roasted two spatchcocked chickens and a couple of pounds of pork sausage today on my grandpaw’s old bbq pit. They came out fantastic. I’d like to think he was looking down on me smiling.

I was so busy helping mom get everything ready I didn’t get any pictures either.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

What be yer preferred sauce? I like muh A1, BBQ(Little Baby Rays), Sriracha, or Tabasco.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By zach_:

What be yer preferred sauce? I like muh A1, BBQ(Little Baby Rays), Sriracha, or Tabasco.
View Quote
These got Head Country. Not too sweet, but still enough for the kids to like it. Cheap, easy to find.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of our tasty vittles for this weekend’s Arf party

6 rib Prime Rib
Attachment Attached File

30lbs of spare ribs
Attachment Attached File

About 40lb piggy
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn! You Texans know how to party.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:57:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmnoid77] [#10]
New one for me today.  Beef ribs about 4 hours in.

Attachment Attached File

ETA:  Yep.  That's a winner.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:14:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmnoid77] [#11]
Perfect day out today.  Two chucks all barked up and ready to wrap.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: That'll do.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/151231/IMG_0468_jpg-3187941.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/151231/IMG_0471_jpg-3188764.JPG
View Quote

@dmnoid77
How long did those chucks take to reach temp & at what temp did you pull them?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Plank_Spanker:

@dmnoid77
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@dmnoid77

I'm learning that my smoker doesn't give me the most reliable temp indicators which is why I'll use the Signals for longer cooks or those where I want to keep a close eye on temps.  For this cook I ran it on the "smoke" equivalent setting for at least the first six hours.  The grill typically indicates something in the 180-200 range, but the sensor I put in the middle of the grill was showing ~225-250 on average.  The middle does cook warmer than the grates on either side.  I pull and wrap around 160 and cooked these to 208 as an experiment.  Next time I will pull them sooner or maybe reduce temp to hold them around 200 for longer.  These came out a little less moist than I think they could have been and one of them wanted to shred more than slice, but that's mostly nitpicking.  Both are perfectly edible.

This is the graph from the cook. Total time was 10-11 hours, but I probably extended that by an hour or more running them super low to start.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm learning that my smoker doesn't give me the most reliable temp indicators which is why I'll use the Signals for longer cooks or those where I want to keep a close eye on temps.  For this cook I ran it on the "smoke" equivalent setting for at least the first six hours.  The grill typically indicates something in the 180-200 range, but the sensor I put in the middle of the grill was showing ~225-250 on average.  The middle does cook warmer than the grates on either side.  I pull and wrap around 160 and cooked these to 208 as an experiment.  Next time I will pull them sooner or maybe reduce temp to hold them around 200 for longer.  These came out a little less moist than I think they could have been and one of them wanted to shred more than slice, but that's mostly nitpicking.  Both are perfectly edible.

This is the graph from the cook. Total time was 10-11 hours, but I probably extended that by an hour or more running them super low to start.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/151231/IMG_0472_jpg-3189499.JPG
View All Quotes

@dmnoid77

Interesting that a beef cut took that long. Other than a brisket, I wouldn’t even think a chuck roast would need 10 hours on the rack. I suppose there is some break down of tissues that needs to happen at the higher temp much like a pork butt.
I have family coming over on Friday and thought about doing a smoked chuck but I”lol have to think about something else as I don’t have that kind of time with my stick burner.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Interesting that a beef cut took that long. Other than a brisket, I wouldn’t even think a chuck roast would need 10 hours on the rack. I suppose there is some break down of tissues that needs to happen at the higher temp much like a pork butt.
I have family coming over on Friday and thought about doing a smoked chuck but I”lol have to think about something else as I don’t have that kind of time with my stick burner.
View All Quotes

@dmnoid77

For beef, London Broil smokes up pretty nice on short notice since you're only cooking to the 125-130 range unless you're a communist sympathizer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]

For beef, London Broil smokes up pretty nice on short notice since you're only cooking to the 125-130 range unless you're a communist sympathizer.
View All Quotes

@dmnoid77

We’re getting together for my son’s wedding. I might have 20 peeps over and my much older brother & I are going to decide what to prepare. I’d love to smoke something but don’t have the time to commit to a long smoke so it’s either a couple of beef loins or maybe pork lions. Sushi is another option to have delivered.
My tender lions come out fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Beef ribs are super underrated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:56:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#19]
Baby Back Ribs using the 2/1/.5 @ 300° method.
Attachment Attached File

Bonus pics of Granddaughter after she finished he 1st rib.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#20]
How do the results line up with that method?  The last set I did with a loose-ish 4/2/finish at a lower heat and was pretty happy with the outcome.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#21]
How do the results line up with that method?  The last set I did with a loose-ish 4/2/finish at a lower heat and was pretty happy with the outcome.
View Quote

IMHO the 2/2/1 @ 225 > 225 uncovered = 2/1/.5 @ 300.  This method just gets them done quicker.  I can sleep in and still have the ribs ready for lunchtime.

2/2/1ish - best results

225 uncovered - good but I constantly have to spritz them while cooking

2/1/.5 - 90% as good as 2/2/1 but finishes much sooner.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By WDEagle:

IMHO the 2/2/1 @ 225 > 225 uncovered = 2/1/.5 @ 300.  This method just gets them done quicker.  I can sleep in and still have the ribs ready for lunchtime.

2/2/1ish - best results

225 uncovered - good but I constantly have to spritz them while cooking

2/1/.5 - 90% as good as 2/2/1 but finishes much sooner.
View Quote

Makes sense.  I think the last set I did at 200 for 3-4 (or until it hit ~160), wrapped and back on at 250 for about another 2 (or until it broke 200), unwrapped and hit with a bit of sauce until it tacked up.  I go by temp and feel more than time, but the times are in the ballpark.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:33:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#23]

Makes sense.  I think the last set I did at 200 for 3-4 (or until it hit ~160), wrapped and back on at 250 for about another 2 (or until it broke 200), unwrapped and hit with a bit of sauce until it tacked up.  I go by temp and feel more than time, but the times are in the ballpark.
View Quote

Understand

I go by visual inspection - meat pulls back from bone & rack bends.

2/2/1 & uncovered are done when they are done.  When I use 2/1/.5 it is almost always spot on for time.

Edit:  Pic of important component of smoking ribs.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Understand

2/2/1 & uncovered are done when they are done.  When I use 2/1/.5 it is almost always spot on for time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/IMG_0284_1__JPEG-3193276.JPG
View All Quotes

Understand

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/IMG_0284_1__JPEG-3193276.JPG

Yup. The baby back ribs I get are inconsistent. One time they might be thick, next time not so much. Gotta pass on some of them. 3 hours smoke low and then wrapped at 300°. About 4.5 to 5 hrs start to finish. Faster than butt or brisket fer sure. Doing fajitas today. It is storming and will be raining all day. Muh gas grill saves the day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#25]
4 slabs of beef ribs from my own cow

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#26]
This is BBQ bliss right here, this is what every Pitmaster strives for.
Man I wish you folks was here to taste test for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By wolfjflywheel:

This is BBQ bliss right here, this is what every Pitmaster strives for.
Man I wish you folks was here to taste test for me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384690/IMG_3012_jpeg-3193620.JPG
View Quote

Your meat is absolutely stunning.  I wish beef ribs were easier to find around here.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:01:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#28]
6 1/2 lb of baby backs for the race today.
I seem to have luck with them using the 3-2-1 method at 225.

Attachment Attached File

After pic. They were a hit. They did take an extra hour on the final stage, they were pretty thick for baby backs though.
Ran over to Sonny's and picked up a quart of their baked beans and same of their potato salad for sides.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:37:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hamiltbl2] [#29]
Pork belly burnt ends.

Attachment Attached File

Decent smoke ring on the ribs.
Attachment Attached File
Page / 22
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top