Page / 20
Next Page Arrow Left
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WDEagle:

@Hill_monkey

I've never seen a version that included the seed starter before.  That option, along with the sale price, sold me on it.  I think you can buy the seed starter parts separately if yours did not come with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hill_monkey:
I'm thinking of upping my game next year buy using this as a seed starter.  ~ Half price right now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/Screenshot_2024-05-05_181048_png-3206388.JPG

Got one of those, only use it to grow herbs.

Never tried it as a seed starter.

@Hill_monkey

I've never seen a version that included the seed starter before.  That option, along with the sale price, sold me on it.  I think you can buy the seed starter parts separately if yours did not come with it.

Nice, I’ll look into it for next season.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]

View All Quotes
I'm thinking of upping my game next year buy using this as a seed starter.  ~ Half price right now.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/Screenshot_2024-05-05_181048_png-3206388.JPG

Got one of those, only use it to grow herbs.

Never tried it as a seed starter.

@Hill_monkey

Just found this video
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn you hail!

My jalapeños.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
Damn you hail!

My jalapeños.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/523928/20240512_094853_jpg-3212404.JPG
View Quote

Ooof
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#5]
Attachment Attached File
" />

My two levels of arugula has already sprouted.  Waiting on cilantro to sprout.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Removed wire baskets and staked & caged my peppers today.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't cage mine, should I?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#8]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
View Quote

Some do.  Some don't.  I always have.  Easy enough to do.

Several pictures have been posted of people's pepper plants that have fallen over and breaken during a storm or windy day.  Cages eliminate that problem.

I've had pepper plants that were so loaded with peppers that they would have snapped the branches it they had not been in cages.  

If you only grow puny plants, no cage is needed.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:42:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#9]

Some do.  Some don't.  I always have.  Easy enough to do.

Several pictures have been posted of people's pepper plants that have fallen over and breaken during a storm or windy day.  Cages eliminate that problem.

I've had pepper plants that were so loaded with peppers that they would have snapped the branches it they had not been in cages.  

If you only grow puny plants, no cage is needed.  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Mine were hit with hail. My tomatoes in cages didn't fair well, either.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I cage mine to protect them from storms. I’ve lost more than I care for to heavy wind and rain. If yours are potted and protected on your porch or something I wouldn’t worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:44:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bkpkr] [#11]
Need to get caught up on this thread!

Of my 8 plants I attempted to overwinter, two came through the other side. I predict better results with more care. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to tend to them as much as I had hoped. My two Peachadew plants are thriving though. They must be hearty af. One of my white morugas made it through the winter but I think I killed it transitioning it back outside.

Besides those I have some Bonnie plants from Lowe’s. Red and orange lunchbox, habaneros, mammoth jalapeños, regular japs, and shishitos.

Just ordered 2x each lemon starburst, aji charapita, and orange starkist. That brings the plant total to 23.

Fingers crossed next year I’ll have more space and time to start stuff from seed.

Now I’ve got to assemble my tiller from the big HD sale last year and till my plot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bkpkr:
Need to get caught up on this thread!

Of my 8 plants I attempted to overwinter, two came through the other side. I predict better results with more care. Unfortunately I didn’t have time to tend to them as much as I had hoped. My two Peachadew plants are thriving though. They must be hearty af. One of my white morugas made it through the winter but I think I killed it transitioning it back outside.

Besides those I have some Bonnie plants from Lowe’s. Red and orange lunchbox, habaneros, mammoth jalapeños, regular japs, and shishitos.

Just ordered 2x each lemon starburst, aji charapita, and orange starkist. That brings the plant total to 23.

Fingers crossed next year I’ll have more space and time to start stuff from seed.

Now I’ve got to assemble my tiller from the big HD sale last year and till my plot.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125849/IMG_3230_jpeg-3218106.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125849/IMG_3245_jpeg-3218386.JPG
View Quote

I never thought to repurpose the cat litter containers.  We had two rescue Siamese that lived to 18 years.  We would have had quite a collection of those to use.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:20:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#13]
Rabbits finally found the pepper plants.  Strangely, they only ate one plant.  Had to repurpose one of the $tree cages to protect it.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Two years ago the rabbits ate both of my habanero plants down to just the stalk.  They came back with a vengeance, growing huge and producing more pepper than I could use.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 8:31:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#15]
Have four 3rd year plants this year.  Pictures are Habanero/Thai/Chocolate Habanero/Ghost Carolina Reaper.  
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

This year's plants are coming along nicely.  Plan on one last nitrogen fertilization on Saturday (Fox Grow Big) along with culling any blooms.  From then on it's Fox Big Bloom & let the blooms/peppers flourish.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Have four 3rd year plants this year.  Pictures are Habanero/Thai/Chocolate Habanero/Ghost.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/IMG_0416_JPEG-3225678.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/IMG_0418_1__JPEG-3225679.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/IMG_0419_1__JPEG-3225680.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/IMG_0420_1__JPEG-3225681.JPG

This year's plants are coming along nicely.  Plan on one last nitrogen fertilization on Saturday (Fox Grow Big) along with culling any blooms.  From then on it's Fox Big Bloom & let the blooms/peppers flourish.
View Quote

Wow. I only have one multi year plant.

Very nice
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#17]

I have tomato horn worms in Virginia and those little assholes can eat an entire plant in like 12 hours
View All Quotes

What is the old timey solution?

Don't you like put out a can of beer cut in half and they like the beer but they drown in the beer or something

Yeah, but the damage was done. I saved most of my tomato sprouts and half of my bell peppers, but they devoured the jalapenos. I don't blame them.

On another note, my cucumbers had a seed-borne disease that wiped-out the whole crop and contaminated my raised bed from their species for a couple of years. Looks like I'll expand the pepper crop into their old space.

I have tomato horn worms in Virginia and those little assholes can eat an entire plant in like 12 hours

UV flash light makes them easy to spot.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mnd:

View All Quotes

Don't you like put out a can of beer cut in half and they like the beer but they drown in the beer or something

Yeah, but the damage was done. I saved most of my tomato sprouts and half of my bell peppers, but they devoured the jalapenos. I don't blame them.

On another note, my cucumbers had a seed-borne disease that wiped-out the whole crop and contaminated my raised bed from their species for a couple of years. Looks like I'll expand the pepper crop into their old space.

I will try this, thanks man
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 11:38:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mnd] [#19]

View All Quotes

I've got a Convoy C8 365nm light that works pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#20]
My 93 year old Mother said she wanted to grow some peppers this year.  I set her up with a jalapeno and cowhorn plant the last time I was home visiting her.  Her plants are doing great and she already has several peppers on both plants.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Just started my second set of peppers. Long growing season means I can start a second round of peppers/tomatoes for a late season crop. So I have a new set of death spirals, apocalypse scorpions, red ghosts, and chocolate 7 pots.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#23]
My peppers are refusing to grow this year  We amended the garden heavily with (somewhat) composted mulch prior to planting, so I thought that maybe the mulch still breaking down was stealing nitrogen.  The ph was also very low (4-5) so I thought that might be impacting the plants taking up nutrients.  Applied lime and got the ph in better shape (6+) and have been feeding Miracle Grow fairly heavily but it isn't a super strong nitrogen fertilizer.  I know it takes time for soil composition changes to have an effect, but I hoped I would see something by now (almost a week since last feeding).

Fortunately the beans and tomatoes are doing pretty well, so it's not all doom and gloom.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 11:47:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#24]
Originally Posted By MongooseKY:
My peppers are refusing to grow this year  We amended the garden heavily with (somewhat) composted mulch prior to planting, so I thought that maybe the mulch still breaking down was stealing nitrogen.  The ph was also very low (4-5) so I thought that might be impacting the plants taking up nutrients.  Applied lime and got the ph in better shape (6+) and have been feeding Miracle Grow fairly heavily but it isn't a super strong nitrogen fertilizer.  I know it takes time for soil composition changes to have an effect, but I hoped I would see something by now (almost a week since last feeding).

Fortunately the beans and tomatoes are doing pretty well, so it's not all doom and gloom.
View Quote

Growth needs Nitrogen.  Also remove any blooms until the plants have grown sufficiently.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Growth needs Nitrogen.  Also remove any blooms until the plants have grown sufficiently.
View Quote
Yep - been picking blooms regularly.  They WANT to produce, but they are too small and not healthy looking enough.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I just fucking send it
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't even trim my one multi year plant. It's ridiculous it just keeps growing. 3yo Chiltepin
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:44:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#28]
Page / 20
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top