BCM
User Panel

Page / 77
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I figured that would just be a meme that someone made, but it's actually posted on their IG account.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
I figured that would just be a meme that someone made, but it's actually posted on their IG account.  
View Quote

I know. I couldn’t believe it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I’m confused.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By fike:

I'm confused.
View Quote
Toto Wolff: "A smile might be nice"

Merc Admin: "There's nothing to smile about in my life"
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:03:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shung] [#7]
there is a video on the net, of Charles leclerc watching the race sum up from the debriefing room, and laughing with a significant smirk and hiding what he says when he watches Max's wheel/tires/disk explode...

Almost like he knows exactly what is going on. (especially given that brakes problems have been happening repeatedly this year, to many teams)

some claim it wasnt the tire that exploded and that the tire was still up when he reached the pit.. Any truth to that ?

Maybe its like Fike was saying and the brakes are involved in some more complex mechanism of the cars.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#8]
Originally Posted By Shung:
there is a video on the net, of Charles leclerc watching the race sum up from the debriefing room, and laughing with a significant smirk and hiding what he says when he watches Max's wheel/tires/disk explode...

Almost like he knows exactly what is going on. (especially given that brakes problems have been happening repeatedly this year, to many teams)

some claim it wasnt the tire that exploded and that the tire was still up when he reached the pit.. Any truth to that ?

Maybe its like Fike was saying and the brakes are involved in some more complex mechanism of the cars.
View Quote

The more I think about it.

I really think they are using brake and torque vectoring (Secret Sauce) and LEC knew a fault in that system was the cause of the failure just like his brake problems were really odd during the race 1.  They don't have ABS so using a brake vectoring system would most likely be against or at least pushing the rules.  A wheel speed sensor failure could lead to a brake problem on that corner.  (aircraft use wheel speed sensors as do most modern cars)

As mentioned before, it is common tech in sports minded road cars.

I think the tire exploded, there are pictures of the tire with what appears to be the blow out plugs gone in a sidewall.  That is normal for an aircraft tire but seems odd for a road car.  I don't know if F1 tires have liner in them like other race series tires.  Originally I thought the brake went.  I think the disk was for the most part intact but separated from the hub.  

Y'all that know F1 better than me can better answer that question.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:50:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: racerpk11] [#9]
I’m on my phone, hopefully this posts right. If it was the tire letting go it looks like it was the inside sidewall rather than the outside sidewall. Interesting view from above whenever whatever it was let go.

Also tire condition on outside can be seen what looks mostly intact.

Video here
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:17:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warp_foo] [#10]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

I really think they are using brake and torque vectoring (Secret Sauce) and LEC knew a fault in that system was the cause of the failure just like his brake problems were really odd during the race 1.  They don't have ABS so using a brake vectoring system would most likely be against or at least pushing the rules.  A wheel speed sensor failure could lead to a brake problem on that corner.  (aircraft use wheel speed sensors as do most modern cars)

I think the tire exploded, there are pictures of the tire with what appears to be the blow out plugs gone in a sidewall.  That is normal for an aircraft tire but seems odd for a road car.  I don't know if F1 tires have liner in them like other race series tires.  

View All Quotes

I think the tire exploded, there are pictures of the tire with what appears to be the blow out plugs gone in a sidewall.  That is normal for an aircraft tire but seems odd for a road car.  I don't know if F1 tires have liner in them like other race series tires.  

No one not employed as a team engineer can definitively state that the teams are or are not using brake vectoring - but - it's likely very easy to detect when it is being used. The carbon brake rotors are run at such high temps that brake application causes the rotor to glow red. While not visible to the naked eye during daylight races, a FLIR camera can see it.  If the inside rear wheel is running hotter than the outside rear wheel... busted. In 1997, differential braking was new, and wasn't really being looked for as it would be today. It wasn't until a photographer got a shot of the 'third pedal', that the the other teams lobbied the FIA to ban differential braking. So, yes, differential braking is against the rules.

While you wouldn't likely need a third pedal to make it work these days, every team and the FIA are watching like hawks. There are engineers who study everything they can glean from photos, audio, video, UV, and infrared... It would be detected almost immediately.

m
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:25:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#11]
Originally Posted By warp_foo:
No one not employed as a team engineer can definitively state that the teams are or are not using brake vectoring - but - it's likely very easy to detect when it is being used. The carbon brake rotors are run at such high temps that brake application causes the rotor to glow red. While not visible to the naked eye during daylight races, a FLIR camera can see it.  If the inside rear wheel is running hotter than the outside rear wheel... busted. In 1997, differential braking was new, and wasn't really being looked for as it would be today. It wasn't until a photographer got a shot of the 'third pedal', that the the other teams lobbied the FIA to ban differential braking. So, yes, differential braking is against the rules.

While you wouldn't likely need a third pedal to make it work these days, every team and the FIA are watching like hawks. There are engineers who study everything they can glean from photos, audio, video, UV, and infrared... It would be detected almost immediately.

m
View Quote

Even with the Cake Pan over the entire brake system and cooling done via ducting through the pan and assembly?  I would not be surprised if teams can get away with some now and it not be noticed.  

There have been brake problems in two major teams' cars in 3 races and brakes are a really simple system when you don't have ABS or computers involved, at least you aren't supposed to have it.  Just speculation of course.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Even with the Cake Pan over the entire brake system and cooling done via ducting through the pan and assembly?  I would not be surprised if teams can get away with some now and it not be noticed.  

There have been brake problems in two major teams' cars in 3 races and brakes are a really simple system when you don't have ABS or computers involved, at least you aren't supposed to have it.  Just speculation of course.
View All Quotes

m

The rear braking is done via standard friction discs and electrical braking through the MGU-K, so they can get complicated enough for some tricks to possibly be hidden.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I just rewatched Max coming into the pits on the recording of the race on my DVR.  The closeup slo-mo of the right rear with him coming into the pit box shows the tire completely normal.  It definitely wasn’t deflated.  The shots from behind the pit crew after the tire was removed show the brake rotor looking intact.  Still a round and flat disc.  However, the structure around the brake rotor looked like a mangled mess.  I’m assuming that’s the cooling ductwork.  Whatever the blast of dark smoke that came out the side as he was driving down the pit straight was, it wasn’t the tire, or the brake rotor.

Also rewatched the replay of Russell and Alonso.  Russell never got that close to the rear of Alonso.  No obvious sudden slowdown before the corner.  Can see Russell turn the wheel to the right into the corner as they get close to the corner, and at this point Alonso is over a full car length ahead of him.  The distance was closing at pretty much the same rate it was from the previous corner, but NOT suddenly dropping.  That was as close as Russell got and in next frames as Alonso is near the apex (and pulling away slightly), Russell turns the wheel hard left and goes toward the gravel, goes back hard right as he’s going off track and locking right front, and then once on the gravel goes back hard left toward the wall and holds it hard left until he hits the wall.  Overhead view looks like Russell’s rear stepped out at the apex, he countersteered to get the car straight, but at this point he was aimed at the gravel.  Once on the gravel, rear end stepped out again as he was turning right to stay away from the wall and unsuccessfully tried to countersteer again.

Looking like the Merc’s rear to slide out at near the apex, and that’s the cause.  Didn’t see anything that indicates the Russell was trying to take any avoiding action from Alonso in front at any time.  Only sudden movements I saw on Russell was for correcting oversteer when the rear started sliding.  IMHO Russell either turned in too sharp or was going too fast for the corner.  Maybe dirty air was also a factor, but that’s not Alonso’s fault.

Complete BS penalty.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By willi3d:
I just rewatched Max coming into the pits on the recording of the race on my DVR.  The closeup slo-mo of the right rear with him coming into the pit box shows the tire completely normal.  It definitely wasn’t deflated.  The shots from behind the pit crew after the tire was removed show the brake rotor looking intact.  Still a round and flat disc.  However, the structure around the brake rotor looked like a mangled mess.  I’m assuming that’s the cooling ductwork.  Whatever the blast of dark smoke that came out the side as he was driving down the pit straight was, it wasn’t the tire, or the brake rotor.

Also rewatched the replay of Russell and Alonso.  Russell never got that close to the rear of Alonso.  No obvious sudden slowdown before the corner.  Can see Russell turn the wheel to the right into the corner as they get close to the corner, and at this point Alonso is over a full car length ahead of him.  The distance was closing at pretty much the same rate it was from the previous corner, but NOT suddenly dropping.  That was as close as Russell got and in next frames as Alonso is near the apex (and pulling away slightly), Russell turns the wheel hard left and goes toward the gravel, goes back hard right as he’s going off track and locking right front, and then once on the gravel goes back hard left toward the wall and holds it hard left until he hits the wall.  Overhead view looks like Russell’s rear stepped out at the apex, he countersteered to get the car straight, but at this point he was aimed at the gravel.  Once on the gravel, rear end stepped out again as he was turning right to stay away from the wall and unsuccessfully tried to countersteer again.

Looking like the Merc’s rear to slide out at near the apex, and that’s the cause.  Didn’t see anything that indicates the Russell was trying to take any avoiding action from Alonso in front at any time.  Only sudden movements I saw on Russell was for correcting oversteer when the rear started sliding.  IMHO Russell either turned in too sharp or was going too fast for the corner.  Maybe dirty air was also a factor, but that’s not Alonso’s fault.

Complete BS penalty.
View Quote

The "explosion" I think was the pads.

And Russel tends to get in wrecks because he's not looking out, instead looking at what is in front of him.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#15]
FOM not allowing team produced behind the scenes content to protect DTS.

Speaks pretty poorly on DTS popularity.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#16]

m
View Quote

Didn't Renault catch a DSQ at Suzuka a few years ago for having a pre-set brake bias? 2019? I seem to recall the Ferrari of LeClerc losing a wing mirror and HAM whining about not being able to catch the Ferraris.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By spyk3:

The "explosion" I think was the pads.

And Russel tends to get in wrecks because he's not looking out, instead looking at what is in front of him.
View Quote

That wouldn't cause the right rear corner to sag like KMag's Haas last year in Mexico when his suspension broke, or Vettel's Ferrari at COTA a few years ago. It visibly sagged like the tire went flat, or the suspension broke.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Leclerc: "I was seeing that and because it was in like what, 2 or 3 laps and I was like, oh goodness."

Norris: "Yeah, smoke."
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:54:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: warp_foo] [#19]

The rear braking is done via standard friction discs and electrical braking through the MGU-K, so they can get complicated enough for some tricks to possibly be hidden.
View All Quotes

m

I suppose it's possible that a team could play shenanigans with the MGU-K to sortof achieve `differential` braking (pun not intended...), but aren't they required to escrow the control systems code with the FIA? As for the cake pan? The amount of heat generated by the brakes would not be easily masked, I wouldn't think.

Remember, these are some of the most devious engineers on the face of the planet. For one team of engineers to get away with a clever cheat, 9 teams of engineers would have to be asleep at the wheel.

m
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I suppose it's possible that a team could play shenanigans with the MGU-K to sortof achieve `differential` braking (pun not intended...), but aren't they required to escrow the control systems code with the FIA? As for the cake pan? The amount of heat generated by the brakes would not be easily masked, I wouldn't think.

Remember, these are some of the most devious engineers on the face of the planet. For one team of engineers to get away with a clever cheat, 9 teams of engineers would have to be asleep at the wheel.

m
View Quote

There will be a technical clarification soon if another team figures it out. That's what they always do. They'll go to the FIA with a working model and say "is this legal?" and then the FIA issues a TD. That's what got Ferrari done in 2019 with the engine TD.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Since we were talking about brakes, Scarbs was breaking down what could have gone wrong on Verstappen’s car and mentioned the below:

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Why do some of you think everything is a conspiracy?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/500232/IMG_3609_png-3170238.JPG

Why do some of you think everything is a conspiracy?
View Quote

Thinking teams might be operating in grey areas is the equivalent of thinking politicians might be receiving bribes.

It’s been a part of both games from the beginning.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I like Fernando,  though I didn't back in the day.  Im not s Sheriff Woody fan.  When I saw the incident,  my first thought was Fernando checked up.  I talked myself out of it, but I knew he is not above it.  I think he did.  Shitty move
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#25]

m
View Quote

If you look at the post-race scrutineering reports from the FIA documents bot they test a lot of stuff that is way above my knowledge, so if it were possible to game that I imagine the FiA has telemetry to tell.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#26]
The FIA isn’t going to be impressed with Bell.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#27]
The FIA isn't going to be impressed with Bell.

View Quote
He may not have had it snapped in good. Those pegs are a tight fit sometimes and will sit outside unless forced in. Almost like a snap.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By tabraha:
He may not have had it snapped in good. Those pegs are a tight fit sometimes and will sit outside unless forced in. Almost like a snap.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tabraha:
The FIA isn't going to be impressed with Bell.

It’s not a particularly good design that could fail if the shell and the visor flex differently. With the head restraints, it’s not hard to imagine that happening in a wreck.

The Schuberth front latch design eliminates the potential issue.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Lollipopman full video for Australia 2024.

Australian GP 2024 | Highlights | Formula 1 Comedy

So funny.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Roland-G23:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsZR68lqFCg

So funny.
View Quote

That was a funny one!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#31]

So funny.
View Quote

Best so far this year, I think.  

36 races.  1 DNF.  It’s like a scar etched into my soul
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#32]

So funny.
View Quote

When Guenther shows up at the end!! LMAO!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

View Quote

That’s exactly how the interview went too!  LOL
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

View Quote

lol. is it on the F1 youtube channel?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Cypher214:

View Quote

That had me rolling haha.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#36]
Originally Posted By danpass:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By danpass:

Try this link to yt

Charles LeClerc Can’t Understand Guenther Steiner During Post Race Interview! Australian GP 2024

This is with Leclerc but the others are out there if you search on YT.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:10:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#37]
SeemsToto is stirring the pot 😁

See if this link works

F1 story - replacing Lewis Hamilton
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#38]
SeemsToto is stirring the pot 😁

See if this link works

F1 story - replacing Lewis Hamilton
View Quote

He’s been doing this since the Horner saga started and really kicked it into high gear once the talk of an exit clause in Max’s contract came out.  His wet fantasy is to steal Max and Newey to Merc, which won’t happen.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Shall we start mourning MotoGP ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#40]
VER would be dumb to leave RB. He is great along with the cars being great adds up to trophies. The other cars will most likely slow his march to greatness.

This garbage keeps going and he leaves then Sainz has a ride for next season.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Liberty Medi to buy MotoGP

First I'm hearing of it. Would be cool if they'd do joint race weekends.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
Nah. Liberty buying it from Dorna would be awesome.
Reality is they have done a great job with the commercial side of F1 compared to Bernie. They really pushed the broadcast and
distribution into the 21st century, with some teething issues, but none-the-less it's far and away better than anything Bernie could have dreamed up.
I think they could really bring a lot to MotoGP.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Sainz signs with MB, finishes ahead of Ham, and watches tear flow.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Reality is they have done a great job with the commercial side of F1 compared to Bernie. They really pushed the broadcast and
distribution into the 21st century, with some teething issues, but none-the-less it's far and away better than anything Bernie could have dreamed up.
View All Quotes

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Agreed.
View All Quotes

Agreed.

Liberty Media, media pass?

Roll MotoGP in with F1TV?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Dorna sucks.

Liberty would be an improvement.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#47]
No comment….

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:35:13 PM EDT
[#48]
No comment….

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJwc7oObAAArLDD.jpg
View Quote

What's the issue?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Mars87:

What's the issue?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mars87:
No comment….

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJwc7oObAAArLDD.jpg

What's the issue?

19 drivers are doing 1 of 3 poses, 1 driver insisted on Zoolander sexy time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 77
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top