Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2024 5:45:18 AM EDT
My GE washer just gave up after 9 years.Buy another GE or step up to Speed Queen? Top loader only,thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Speed Queen = worry free.

TC5 is the one you want.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]
GE is not what they used to be. A buddy just bought a GE dryer & had to return it because the drum was off balance and rubbing.

I avoid GE at all costs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]
If I  ever had to buy a washer I would go to a laundry mat and see what they use then buy one like that.
You know commercial duty washers have to be better than consumer grade.
Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By maxima2:
Speed Queen = worry free.

TC5 is the one you want.

View Quote

This. Except for being a bit loud, ours is great, wish we'd bought one years ago.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Maytag commercial washer with the black face that removes from the front. MVWP586GW.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#7]
After all the speed queen promo in here:    I will be looking at the Speed Queen for our next washing machine.   Will Prob put a gray or charcoal BFL on the front of it.  

An old buddy bought one this year and his wife unit is very pleased.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:57:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Maytag Commercial
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Speed Queen for sure but don't buy the TC series. It's too loud and too many extra parts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#10]
GE's appliance division was sold to Communist China in 2016. I avoid them even more than I avoid Korean appliances.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#11]
LG Top Loader is MASSIVE and doesn't have agitator. Had it 12 years now without one hiccup!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:23:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#12]
Fix it.  Details on model and problem.  I have a Whirlpool washer that is about 25 years old.  I have made repairs on it about four times.

The first time...and my first appliance repair, was when there was a leak from somewhere near the top where the water comes in.  I replaced the inlet valve, all the hoses, the drain pump.  

Another time I replaced the dogs and perhaps something else in the agitator.

Replaced a coupler between the motor and transmission?   That was difficult and I may have needed a tool to do it properly.

Replaced a switch in the body that senses when the lid is closed

Most recently I replaced the inlet valve.  Folks here diagnosed the problem when I gave the symptom(s).

Looks like five repair events.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#13]
The Speed Queen TR7 is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Any way to get a discount on the Speed Queen appliances?  The local appliance stores look at me like I'm crazy when I try to negotiate prices.
AJ Madison sells them online, but there's virtually no discount after delivery.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By OUSooner:

Speed Queen for sure but don't buy the TC series. It's too loud and too many extra parts.
View Quote

We just got a TC5. We love it and don't find it to be loud at all. If you're in the room with it you can hear it, but in another room with the laundry room door closed it's no more noticable than the Maytag centennial POS it replaced.

The 27 minute wash time with actually clean clothes that are practically dry from the insane spin cycle would be worth it to me, even if it was louder.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Samsung or LG
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Happy Speed Queen user for probably five years
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Samsung and LG are JUNK
GE is next to junk

Speed Queen in for the win
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By gasgas:
Samsung and LG are JUNK
GE is next to junk

View Quote

I am no expert but from reading posts here I would avoid appliances from manufacturers whose main products are electronics.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Stoner001:
My GE washer just gave up after 9 years.Buy another GE or step up to Speed Queen? Top loader only,thanks for any input.
View Quote

Fix it instead of buying a $1,000+ washing machine unless you just want to brag about your new expensive washing machine with Biden pricing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#21]
speed queen commercial variant.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By gasgas:
Samsung and LG are JUNK
GE is next to junk

View Quote

Opinions on these are all over the place. You can read 100 horror stories for another 100 success ones!
LG has been so good for me I just bought a new fridge, DW and killer oven for a kitchen remodel. If they last as long as our washer & dryer I'll remain as content. To each their own.....
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#23]
MY Speed queed washer/dryer (TR5 & DR5) have been shit.

I have posted about it before but its like talking to a wall. Fuck Speed queen.

Washer and dryer have each been fixed twice. Bought brand new in 2018. No problems in 2024 though so fingers crossed I can get a trouble free year or two out of them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By nottooslow:
MY Speed queed washer/dryer (TR5 & DR5) have been shit.

I have posted about it before but its like talking to a wall. Fuck Speed queen.

Washer and dryer have each been fixed twice. Bought brand new in 2018. No problems in 2024 though so fingers crossed I can get a trouble free year or two out of them.
View Quote

Care to share your problem?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#25]
This is like watching bloated walruses fight.

Muh Speed Queen is good people.....no it's shit tier!  ðŸ« 
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Speed Queen, but get the model with the real switches and dials, not the membrane touch switches.

We bought ours in 2018 just as they were doing away with the mechanical timer. The new ones have a selector switch in its place.
My wife and I are very satisfied with it. According to SQ ads, they are tested for 14,000 cycles.
One thing, though. The drive mechanism and motor are commercial grade, with metal gears instead of plastic, so it is louder than consumer grade brands.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:04:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#27]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
If I  ever had to buy a washer I would go to a laundry mat and see what they use then buy one like that...
View Quote

With some manufacturers, the commercial and consumer machines are entirely different.
FWIW, I used to be part owner in a chain of laundromats. We used Philco Bendix front-loaders and Huebsch dryers.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been pretty happy with Whirlpool...I have a gas dryer that's 20 years old and still runs great.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#29]
If you don't mind more noise and a small barrel, SQ is about as well built as you can still get.

TC5 = transmission, old school agitation, more movement on the clothes

TR5 or 7 = direct drive, no trans. gentler, less movement of parts. SQ purists do not like these as much.

Maytag and GE also offer a "commercial duty" model. Larger barrels.  Maytags use plastic/nylon gears, GE uses steel.  Neither has as long of a track record.

If you want a huge barrel and good cleaning scores, its tough to beat LG. The WT7900 is a good cleaner. Don't expect more than 8-10 yr life.

Samsung cust service after it's in your house is below average.

GE cust service is above average, they just have never had a world beater with top load laundry. Their front load stuff is decent.

In the end, no one is making old school Maytag Dependable care washers that only rust could kill after 30 yrs.  Manufacturers learned that more $$ was to be made making 10 yr disposable appliances.  Government mandates for elec usage and water consumption didn't help.

Top Top