User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
New Snake thread. (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/6/2022 2:40:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ak4784]
Looks like the old one slipped into the archives. Anyone have any new snakes or cool pics to share?

I had my wife take a few pics of me when I had Woody out the other day. This fellow is getting big.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Sadly I don't have any snakes.  

But I'm always down for a snake thread!

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 5:35:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ak4784:
Looks like the old one slipped into the archives. Anyone have any new snakes or cool pics to share?

I had my wife take a few pics of me when I had Woody out the other day. This fellow is getting big.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53193/FB4A46F4-694B-46FA-A2D0-5E7E4B775E75_jpe-2589454.JPG
View Quote

@Bubbles

I believe she knows her stuff regarding snakes.

She's probably got good stories.

I love snakes... can't get enough of them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:39:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbles] [#3]
We got a new one unexpectedly last week.  My county and some neighboring counties animal control and/or DNR refers people to us for native snake removal, usually because a black rat snake has ended up in someone's house, though occasionally we'll have to move a copperhead or timber rattler.  We got a call expecting to find a native colubrid in someone's car and instead found a non-native boid.  The little darling is now in quarantine and I have posts in the local "lost pet" and reptile groups on Facebook that I've found a wayward critter.  It's worth a good bit so I'm not posting details as I don't want some flipper claiming it to make a quick buck.

This is the second non-native so far this year.  The first one was a juvenile Central American boa and has been returned to the owner.

No pics but I did take three of my boas out for some slither-time in the grass yesterday as "second summer" has been in full swing.  Some of the neighbor's kids stopped by to schmooze with them a bit.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
We got a new one unexpectedly last week.  My county and some neighboring counties animal control and/or DNR refers people to us for native snake removal, usually because a black rat snake has ended up in someone's house, though occasionally we'll have to move a copperhead or timber rattler.  We got a call expecting to find a native colubrid in someone's car and instead found a non-native boid.  The little darling is now in quarantine and I have posts in the local "lost pet" and reptile groups on Facebook that I've found a wayward critter.  It's worth a good bit so I'm not posting details as I don't want some flipper claiming it to make a quick buck.

This is the second non-native so far this year.  The first one was a juvenile Central American boa and has been returned to the owner.

No pics but I did take three of my boas out for some slither-time in the grass yesterday as "second summer" has been in full swing.  Some of the neighbor's kids stopped by to schmooze with them a bit.
View Quote

Interesting! Thats cool. I am very curious as to what it is LOL. SO what is you're plan? Hold for 30 days then keep it? Just wondering. Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting! Thats cool. I am very curious as to what it is LOL. SO what is you're plan? Hold for 30 days then keep it? Just wondering. Keep us updated.
View Quote

Well, right now it's in the quarantine area for at least 90 days.  Since it has been living wild we'll have a fecal test done if no one claims it, in case it ate wild rodents while on the lam since it may have picked up parasites from them.  Once cleared it'll go into an appropriate enclosure in our collection.

I made "found pet snake" posts in several lost/found pet groups as well as snake, reptile, etc. groups in the area where it was found.  Interestingly enough no one has popped up saying they lost anything, which is unusual.  Usually I get a few message from people but not this time.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#6]
So do you have any pics of your foundling, Bubbles?
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 11:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbles] [#7]
Attachment Attached File

Been a long time since I've had one this tiny.  A mouse pinky left a belly lump.

ETA: Noodle is quite spicy too; I got tagged half a dozen time last night when I had to clean the tub.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Noxi my Mexican Black King.
As a baby.
Attachment Attached File

Now
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of Rattler are those?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Been a long time since I've had one this tiny.  A mouse pinky left a belly lump.

ETA: Noodle is quite spicy too; I got tagged half a dozen time last night when I had to clean the tub.
View Quote

@Bubbles
What kind of constrictor is this?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/CP_20221104_3_jpg-2593270.JPG

View Quote

What is it?  I have never seen that flavor.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Ost.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

@Bubbles
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/CP_20221104_3_jpg-2593270.JPG

@Bubbles

@MaxxII
Australian carpet python, looks like a coastal possibly jungle.  Males will get about 6', females 8-9'.  They are active, thin-bodied, semi-arboreal snakes if you're looking for a critter that is good for both display and handling.

I've been working with this one for just a few minutes daily and it's getting over being nippy and defensive a lot faster than my neonate BRB's ever did.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Bubbles,
Thanks for the info.
I'm interested in snakes, had a few smaller easy breeds as a kid.
Wife and kiddos are definitely not snake people.
I have a marine aquarium and the wife lost her mind when I brought that little thing home.
I get it as I am not a fan of spiders...
Everyone has the thing makes them hysterical....snakes are hers.
But I appreciate snakes.
Kiddos are not against reptiles as pets, just didnt like the idea of feeding live foods...

I like these threads as I can live vicariously through you guys.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Kiddos are not against reptiles as pets, just didnt like the idea of feeding live foods...
View Quote

The only species that really get stuck on live feeders is ball pythons.  The rest will readily convert to frozen/thaw.  Of course, your wife may not appreciate a package of feeder rats in the freezer between the chicken breasts and frozen pizzas though.

I actually have a separate freezer just for feeders, but then, I have 76 snakes.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnakes, Crotalus pyrrhus. In the process of making more.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#18]

The only species that really get stuck on live feeders is ball pythons.  The rest will readily convert to frozen/thaw.  Of course, your wife may not appreciate a package of feeder rats in the freezer between the chicken breasts and frozen pizzas though.

I actually have a separate freezer just for feeders, but then, I have 76 snakes.

View All Quotes

That's alot of snakes...

Dont know if you recall or not, I asked you awhile back about a box turtle as pet for the kiddos.
They liked the idea until they found out that some live insects were a part of the diet from time to time.
My girls are not so much into the live food thing for pets.

Wife would have a high speed come apart if she found a vacuum sealed pack of rats/mice in the freezer.

She's awesome about ALOT of things...reptiles and rodents are not two of them though....

But I do enjoy seeing threads like this and living vicariously.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnakes, Crotalus pyrrhus. In the process of making more.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

Those are pretty!
Never seen them before.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#20]
That's alot of snakes...

Dont know if you recall or not, I asked you awhile back about a box turtle as pet for the kiddos.
They liked the idea until they found out that some live insects were a part of the diet from time to time.
My girls are not so much into the live food thing for pets.

Wife would have a high speed come apart if she found a vacuum sealed pack of rats/mice in the freezer.

She's awesome about ALOT of things...reptiles and rodents are not two of them though....

But I do enjoy seeing threads like this and living vicariously.
View Quote

Russian torts stay small, relatively easy to keep, not aggressive, and don't need live food - just veggies and leafy greens with a very little fruit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Seriously thinking a hognose snek may be in our future.

Any reputable breeders we should check our?
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Naamah:

View Quote

Jason Taylor at Beyond Genetix in Raleigh, NC - [email protected]

Shipping season is pretty much over though between the cold weather and the holiday season craziness, many breeders won't start shipping again until next spring.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Shipping season is pretty much over though between the cold weather and the holiday season craziness, many breeders won't start shipping again until next spring.
View All Quotes

That’s fine. I’m not thinking “tomorrow” future. Next spring/summer is perfect.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 9:48:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bubbles] [#25]
Originally Posted By BeautifulStranger:
I was just about to type this. I looked up their prices and was surprised at how expensive they were. I was expecting a couple hundred but most I saw were around $500 plus. Is that normal?
View Quote

Jason breeds higher-end and/or multi-gene morphs but when you create those you also get some non-morph or single-gene morphs which won't be as pricey.  Most of those cheaper ones would have sold quickly as these snakes have gotten very popular.  Hognose, like king/corn snakes, have to be brumated before breeding season so the adults are being cooled right now.  They'll be brought out of brumation in the spring, paired, then the females will lay eggs which will be incubated.  Baby season really starts up mid-late summer as those eggs hatch.

Also remember that snake prices just like prices on everything else inflated over the past year or so.

I did find cheaper ones but two of the sellers are people I would never due business with because they have a reputation for selling vet bills.  People still buy from them though, because the snakes are cheap...
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#26]

I did find cheaper ones but two of the sellers are people I would never due business with because they have a reputation for selling vet bills.  People still buy from them though, because the snakes are cheap...
View Quote

That’s why I asked.

Most anything being bred has good breeders and those like you describe above. Cheap out up front, and you pay the price later.

Does Jason have a website or web presence somewhere?
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#27]
He sells mainly on FaunaClassifieds - https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/member.php?u=141917

If you scroll down a bit look for "Statistics".  Under there is a link to all his classified ads.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:11:19 AM EDT
[#28]
My female Motley Tiger Retic.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#29]
He sells mainly on FaunaClassifieds - https://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/member.php?u=141917

If you scroll down a bit look for "Statistics".  Under there is a link to all his classified ads.
View Quote

Looks like you have to sign up to see the ads.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 4:02:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: azjeeper] [#30]
" />
z" />
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Scarlett King?
Beautiful…
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Scarlett King?
Beautiful…
View Quote

Baja Mountain Kingsnake, (Lampropeltis zonata agalma)
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Man, I love King Snakes. All of them. I personally only have that MBK I posted above. They are such smart snakes comparatively lol. A few days ago, I went into my Kings enclosure to clean out a small pile of poop really quick. She was sleeping under a stick with her tail hanging out. I gently poked her tail...That set her off like firecracker. She reared up like a cobra AND was also rattling her tail like a rattlesnake!!! She has only done this once before when she was a tiny little baby. That tail was able to make quite a bit of noise just from rattling it against the bottom of the enclosure surprisingly. It's also funny because she quickly fled back into one of her hides but within like 3-5 minutes was back out at the front of the glass looking around like she wanted to come out lol.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

No, this critter isn't mine.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 5:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: azjeeper] [#35]
A pr from many yrs back

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#36]
That is a beautiful boa!
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#37]
That is a beautiful boa!
View Quote

They were a great pair, produced a very nice litter too!
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I fight the urge daily, I want an IMG boa really bad and there's a breeder local to me.  Got to see the mama of the last clutch and she was gorgeous.

Very occasionally think about BPs again but they can be such finicky assholes as eaters.

Wife wants emerald tree skinks, and I can't blame her, those are awesome little critters too.

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By drew5337:
I fight the urge daily, I want an IMG boa really bad and there's a breeder local to me.  Got to see the mama of the last clutch and she was gorgeous.

Very occasionally think about BPs again but they can be such finicky assholes as eaters.

Wife wants emerald tree skinks, and I can't blame her, those are awesome little critters too.

View Quote

I want an IMG badly as well lol. Does the breeder happen to be Miles of Exotics? They had a litter of very nice IMGs recently. If so, I'm pretty sure all of their snakes have mites
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#40]
A litter of cbb Az Black Rattlesnakes (C cerberus) from last Aug. Their patterns will fade and they will turn mostly black over time.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#41]
This fool has 3 different hides to choose from. 2 of them are perfect size for him. He also has a large cork bark hide. And this is what he chooses LOL
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

@Naamah (and others looking for snakes and reptile). Quite a few great Hognose breeders out there. I have a few buddies working with Hognose. One way to look at colors and patterns to see what you might like is checking out Morph Market. Breeders have ratings and reviews there as well.

I’ve even breeding ball pythons for a few years and use MM. I’d flash cool pictures, but it looks like my membership expired a long time ago which makes hosting a drag.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Clutch of Palmetto corn snakes.
Attachment Attached File

Snow Western Hognose hatchling.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#44]
SSsssSSsssSS DIS IS SNECCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Parthenogenesis

Life finds a way.

Doctor Doom, a female Dumerils boa we've had since she was just a few months old, has never been paired with a male.

This evening she threw a partho litter.  Most of the eggs were slugs, there were half a dozen stillborn, another that is alive but underformed so she probably won't make it, and this one live critter.

Her name is Miracle.  Sorry for the blurry photos, she did not want to sit still.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Wow! That’s crazy. I have read that most of the time partho litters are not successful.

Did you know there was babies coming? Or what it a surprise?
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#48]
The litter was a complete surprise.  Dums are heavy-bodied ground-dwelling snakes and I didn't notice her back end slowly getting thicker.  Also there weren't a lot of slugs and stillborn babies, not like the 40+ you'd see with a viable litter, so she really didn't get the gravid look like you'd find with a female that had been paired and was going through a typical pregnancy.

Very few partho clutches/litters are viable.  Angel, the smaller of the two is still surviving but you can see how tiny she is compared to her sister, and her sister is smaller than a healthy neonate from a typical litter.  Angel also has a neck kink, which is visible in the top picture.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/18/2023 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Awww! I hope she thrives.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Both Angel and Miracle have passed urates and both ate last night, so they're doing great for a partho litter.  I'm still gobsmacked it happened though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
New Snake thread. (Page 1 of 2)
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top