Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2024 12:09:50 PM EDT
Thanks to GD I have a Speed Queen washer and dryer and a Bosch dishwasher. I have been happy with these. What's GD's refrigerator recommendations? Looking for something that will last.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know what TO recommend but I’ll tell you that I just replaced my 16 year old GE with a new Whirlpool and it is a flimsy piece of shit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Bosch is getting good reviews and quiet. I have a KA, about 6yrs old, getting loud. Yeah, I’ve cleaned the coils.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
stay the fuck away from samsung
View Quote

I’ve never met anyone who owned a Samsung fridge that was happy with the fridge.  We bought one that worked flawlessly for 6 months before it felt like we were replacing the whole thing one part at a time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:

I’ve never met anyone who owned a Samsung fridge that was happy with the fridge.  We bought one that worked flawlessly for 6 months before it felt like we were replacing the whole thing one part at a time.
View Quote

Mine was fine for almost 10yrs then died. The guy I bought my KA from what amazed it made it that long lol.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to go with kitchenaid or whitlpool.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

Mine was fine for almost 10yrs then died. The guy I bought my KA from what amazed it made it that long lol.
View Quote

I currently have a 12 year old Samsung side-by side.  The only problem I've had with it was the defrost drain line freezing up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Our Samsung went tango uniform while under warranty. Fixer guy said he spends his days replacing warrantied compressors. Never again
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

And LG!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#12]
We went with Frigidaire for ours two and a half years ago, zero issues.

We have a member who works for them (something testing/ QA related) and spoke highly of their approach.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Or LG... absolute garbage.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:57:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snubfan] [#14]
$900 Whirlpool top freezer and plan on replacing it every 5 to 10 years.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#15]
In door ice makers suck!

Never again....
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:59:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Number_Six] [#16]
homedepot.com KitchenAid-20-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Steel-Counter-Depth-KRFC300ESS
Reg $2799.00 Sale price $2098.00

The internals of KitchenAid are the same as Whirlpool and Maytag, but KitchenAid has the right name for a kitchen appliance.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#17]
We bought a Frigidaire side by side a few years ago for around $1200 and within a couple years, the tabs that hold the top drawer on the walls started to break away from the inside walls and the walls eventually cracked. We didn't put anything too heavy on it, just a couple gallons of milk,juice,etc.. Now we are down to only 2 drawers. It is crazy at how much new refrigerators are now and how short they last. We had Whirlpool Gold edition appliances in our home, when it was bought new and the fridge finally died around 17-18 years.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:14:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#18]
Originally Posted By Mike_c130:

I currently have a 12 year old Samsung side-by side.  The only problem I've had with it was the defrost drain line freezing up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mike_c130:

It was always the little gutter that filled up the ice maker tray, always having to unclog that POS.

Originally Posted By Tao:
In door ice makers suck!

Never again....

Yep, same with in door water. Mine you open the door a push a button, you can fill bigger containers, thought it would be nice if you could push the button with the container.
Originally Posted By Number_Six:
homedepot.com KitchenAid-20-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Steel-Counter-Depth-KRFC300ESS
https://images.thdstatic.com/productImages/ddbdf6bf-78af-408a-99f8-be5372309e9a/svn/stainless-steel-kitchenaid-french-door-refrigerators-krfc300ess-64_1000.jpg

The internals of KitchenAid are the same as Whirlpool and Maytag, but KitchenAid has the right name for a kitchen appliance.

That's what I have.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Without knowing the area you are putting it into and if you have certain dimensional issues, it's hard to recommend anything.

Even within a brand you will get large variance in reliability.  Someone mentioned a Kitchenaid KRFC300 above. It's a reliable machine if you need a 36" counter depth refrigerator.  However, going to a KRFC704, which is also counter depth, but is taller and has an external dispenser, gets you a refrigerator that breaks much more often.

In general, I usually suggest

Made in USA GE, which is most of their 3 door 36" counter depth and standard depth machines. Look for the words " twin chill" in the back of the refrigerator. If it is a 4 door, it may be US made now but they were made in China up to now.

Here is a small list of model #s that I think are pretty solid. These are not complete model #s as there are color codes that follow but should get you started.  I normally avoid Frigidaire as they seem to not care if they ship damaged units out.

Top Freezer

WRT311
GTS19K
GTS22K

SXS refrigerator

GSS25I
GZS22I

bottom freezer

WRF535
WRB322
KRFC300
GFE28G
PFE28
PWE23
GYE22
PYE22
CFE28
CWE23
CYE22
WRX735
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bigred1001:
Without knowing the area you are putting it into and if you have certain dimensional issues, it's hard to recommend anything.

Even within a brand you will get large variance in reliability.  Someone mentioned a Kitchenaid KRFC300 above. It's a reliable machine if you need a 36" counter depth refrigerator.  However, going to a KRFC704, which is also counter depth, but is taller and has an external dispenser, gets you a refrigerator that breaks much more often.

In general, I usually suggest

Made in USA GE, which is most of their 3 door 36" counter depth and standard depth machines. Look for the words " twin chill" in the back of the refrigerator. If it is a 4 door, it may be US made now but they were made in China up to now.

Here is a small list of model #s that I think are pretty solid. These are not complete model #s as there are color codes that follow but should get you started.  I normally avoid Frigidaire as they seem to not care if they ship damaged units out.

Top Freezer

WRT311
GTS19K
GTS22K

SXS refrigerator

GSS25I
GZS22I

bottom freezer

WRF535
WRB322
KRFC300
GFE28G
PFE28
PWE23
GYE22
PYE22
CFE28
CWE23
CYE22
WRX735
View Quote

Thanks, no dimensional restrictions.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Whirlpool side by side here. 6 years no issues.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
Whirlpool side by side here. 6 years no issues.
View Quote

I know some poo poo LG fridges.  I have a French door bottom freezer fridge that is wonderful.  

I have had an issue with condenser motor under the additional warranty I purchased.  Other than that issue

we are very happy with it. The design and function for daily usage is excellent.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Happy with our 42" sub zero. The supply chain on parts, large family. Can't afford to have something that isn't going to work. We know plenty of people that have replaced their fridge 3-5 years later.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#24]
If you buy a Fridigaire I will laugh at you. Every day.

If someone offers to give you a Fridigaire for FREE you need to kick them in the nuts and spit in their face!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Not Samsung.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

+1
They need to stick with phones, tablets, and TVs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Really happy with my Bosch but it was pricey...
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:42:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AzAk108] [#28]
My 3 door LG lasted 4 years before the linear compressor died. I called LG they replaced it under warranty no hassle.

Repair guy said LG is aware of the issues with Linear Compressors and the cheap plastic garbage they made them out of, and apparently the replacement compressor shouldn't have any issues going forward (paraphrasing obviously).

I am guessing the warranty replacement was so smooth because they know it's garbage. I also believe there are lawsuits concerning the LG linear compressor fridges.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By zach_:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zach_:

+1

Exactly
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Just make sure it is bottom freezer with ice maker in the freezer - not in the door.  Only water on the door or inside the fridge.  I have had my Kenmore Elite for going on 12 yrs or so, only one issue and I was able to fix it myself for 100$.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#31]
A very good family friend who was in the appliance repair industry for 40yrs told us to get the simplest Frigidaire you can.

We followed his advice for both our fridge and chest freezer and have been happy. 4.5yrs and so far so good.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By doolyd:
Just make sure it is bottom freezer with ice maker in the freezer - not in the door.  Only water on the door or inside the fridge.  I have had my Kenmore Elite for going on 12 yrs or so, only one issue and I was able to fix it myself for 100$.
View Quote

We also have one of these that lives in our unconditioned garage. We got it as a hand-me-down from family for free. We've had it 7yrs with no issues and I think it was 4-5yrs old when we got it.

Based on my experience I would say these would be a good choice as well, if they still make them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Absolutely agree.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:58:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#34]
Whirlpool or GE, basic top freezer model with ice maker. Get 5 year warranty and at first expensive failure, replace it. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

The biggest problem will be getting this past a wife who just has to have the latest model with all the bells, whistles, coon tails and mudflaps to impress her fellow soccer moms and Karens.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:
Whirlpool or GE, basic top freezer model with ice maker. Get 5 year warranty and at first expensive failure, replace it. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

The biggest problem will be getting this past a wife who just has to have the latest model with all the bells, whistles, coon tails and mudflaps to impress her fellow soccer moms and Karens.
View Quote

Coon tails.....😅

Let's go with "Things Gen Zers Never Say" for $500, Alex.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got a basic GE,

top freezer, bottom fridge I bought in 97' when I bought the house.

It still works fine, my woman wants a new updated model,

I told her I keep using this one till it quits, the current model refrigerators all seem to be shit for longevity.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Number_Six:
https://images.thdstatic.com/productImages/ddbdf6bf-78af-408a-99f8-be5372309e9a/svn/stainless-steel-kitchenaid-french-door-refrigerators-krfc300ess-64_1000.jpg

View Quote

True.  Sorta.  The upper tier Whirlpools have Kitchenaid parts.   Not necessarily true for the lower tier Whirlpools.  A couple years back we bought a mid tier Whirlpool and ended up returning it b /c the compressor was loud.

I then cross shopped the top tier Whirlpool model with an identical Kitchenaid model (just nicer inside). I compared the compressor part numbers for each.  They were the same.  But the part number was different than the mid tier Whirlpool I had previously purchased.  So we bought that one and its nice and quiet.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Whirlpool and kitchen aid

LG and Samsung
And any thing Electrolux
Is trash
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Living with a Samsung.  If you are handy with tools and have the time they are "manageable"  Have a 4 Door model,  Ice maker on the door.  The Latter has the propensity to freeze and stop dispensing, must a "brilliant" device , beyond smart since it times itself for the hottest day of the year.  Thanks to Youtube there are "fixes" that can make usable for several months.  The latest surprise was internal freezing, replaced the fan (didn't need to but what I was already there) replaced the thermal sensor.  That was last week, so far it is "functional"    Planned obsolescence
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Some designs have very short defrost cycles and utilize heating elements that look like something out of a oven. Check the Max Amp draw on the capacity sticker on the unit. Avoid refrigerators that pull 15 Amps when defrosting. This is kinda important if you have a power outage and need to run it off a smaller genny.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Stay away from those cold boxes that remind you when to take a dump,remember the principal of KISS, and you'll be happy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm leaning towards Bosch,Whirlpool and kitchen aid. Will I be safe in these waters?
Top Top