Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2024 12:31:16 PM EDT
I'm looking to replace the Canon 1dMK2 I sold a few years ago. This is not as much a Which Camera, though I am torn between two, as it is which discount option is less likely to cause me grief in the long run. Note - I'm stretching to get the best I can manage right now, so no A7r V, and even New for a few hundred more is hard to justify.

I'm looking at either a Sony 7 IV or a 7R IV. (better AF vs silly resolution) - I don't do much / any studio or print work, so silly MP doesn't do as much for me as the improved AF does, but it's hard to convince myself to "settle downwards....

Now, the meat of the matter - The main purchase options I've found so far are New via Sony w/ mil discount, Grey Market via Abes of Maine, or Amazon renewed from some no-name shop, but with a 5% discount and less expensive 3 year accident coverage. I'm mostly set on Amazon, but I'm interested in experiences and opinions about my options. Is 'Renewed' with their Assurion coverage a good option to New with only factory coverage?

Used - haven't pursued this path very far, not active on Fred Miranda any more.

Grey Market - Abes of Maine has
- - A7 IV for $1975, 3 year accident coverage $400,
- - A7r IV for $2269, 3 year accident coverage $500

Amazon Renewed has a few from places like Minty Gadgets (??), Electronics Basket (??), BH 52 Innovations, and Global Camera
- - A7 IV for $2122 - $2200 (2015 - 2090 w/ Prime Card 5%), 3 year protection for $170
- - A7r IV for $2200 - 2400 (2090 - 2280 w/ Prime Card 5%), 3 year protection for $170

Direct from Sony w/ discount
- - A7 IV $2250
- - A7r IV $2700
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhatsGnu] [#1]
Grey market is new, without warranty support.
- I have a few lenses via that route, with so-so results (EF 24-105 L produces soft focus at several lengths for instance)
Used through reputable dealers is usually reliable
- keh "like new" designation has been better than expected in every case (3 Olympus M43 bodies that might as well be new)
New is what I normally go for in a camera body or lens I expect to rely on.
- Kitting up a new camera (body, spare batteries, lenses, filters) can be pretty spendy. I prefer new lenses over used - never know if it was dropped.

ETA yours and others mileage may vary. But new has an appeal for me that's hard to express in $$$
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Does Sony have a refurbished site like Canon and Nikon do? That would be my recommendation for discounts. Full factory warranty, all the correct accessories amd with Canon their refurb products have been like new.

Also, in your price range, I think you should take a long hard look at the Canon R6 mkII. They're running $1,799 on the Canon Refurbished site (when in stock). They have better autofocus, better low-light, and better color than the Sony cameras.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of my gear was bought used through KEH or Adorama, I've come to very much trust and rely on their grading systems.

The only stuff I have that's new is, well, new stuff (not available yet on the used market).

Pelican 1604 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:24:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#4]
I've decided on a Sony A7 IV. autofocus is more important than the extra pixels of the R version for me.

Watching auctions on ebay and adds on FBM is weird - They're going for about the same prices as a new grey market from Abe's. $200-ish more gets me a new one direct from Sony.

There's a very nice used grey market one in Myrtle Beach SC, but I'm not driving 6 hours one way to check out a camera - even assuming the add is legit. If I knew it was real, I'd pay the $125 for a flight there and back, but it's FB Marketplace, and that place is just flaky.

Any of you near Myrtle Beach and up for some ammo/mags/$$ to check it out for me?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
If budget is a concern go the used route through KEH.  Their grading system is second to none.  They may say something has imperfections and I tell you what there is a very difficult time finding them spots most of the time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
KEH would be my goto - reputable and within a reasonable driving distance.

The bigger challenge I'm finding with trying to stay on a meager budget - used cameras are selling for somewhere between new Grey from Abe's and New from Sony (with mil discount). MPB has a stack of them in various states of Used for $50-$150 less than new, B&H is out, and KEH is few & far between.

The rest are beatup, heavily used (30k+ clicks, or a few hundred clicks but used almost exclusively by someone doing video), attached to flaky FB sellers, or likely scams.

Any chance Sony will run Easter deals?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
If budget is a concern go the used route through KEH.  Their grading system is second to none.  They may say something has imperfections and I tell you what there is a very difficult time finding them spots most of the time.
View Quote

I have yet to find any defect in item grading.

Their description will mention some barrel wear, or something like that, and I'm hard pressed to find it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top