Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2023 1:20:23 PM EDT
I'm looking at this Dell Inspiron laptop for my teen kids. Anyone have experience or recommendations?

Here's our plan for "needs":
Both kids use ProCreate on ipads for art, hoping the touchscreen OLED helps with that.

My daughter does photography with Canon T7i and edits with my old copy of Photoshop Elements 12. This should run ok, and has an SD card reader to help with moving pics.

We homeschool and plan to start learning to code. Based on many youtuber recs, this meets some min specs for running 1 or 2 virtual machines to manage linux, vs code, and python. 16GB RAM, 8 CPU Cores,  512GB drive space.

There's not really a tech forum here. I'm hoping that all of you digital editors can give advice on ideal hardware to process ProCreate, Photoshop, etc without much lag and performance delays. How much processing power do you all have and how much do you wish you had?

The bad reviews make it sound like the machine either works or doesn't, and if it works when you get it; it's great. I wish it had a num pad and ethernet port, and I'm hoping those limitations can be overcome.

Mods, if you know a better place to post this; please let me know. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Dell or Asus would be my only choices.  Check out Dell's refurbished offerings.  The support is good.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/

Link Posted: 11/28/2023 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend the Lenovo, the hardened-military version; I have one now, and it is 2 years old, zero problems; at least so far. Lenovo used to build laptops for IBM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top