Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2024 12:56:59 PM EDT
Needs-
Convertable to propane
36 inches wide
Heavy duty cast iron top to hold our 19qt pressure  canner which is 41 pounds empty.
High output, round center burner for the canner. Probably  a 5 burner model.
I believe  the canner would  hang over the edge on the 6 burner models.
Ability to light the stovetop burners with a match during  a power outage.

Wants-
Ability to use the oven during  a power outage.
A traditional  style back behind the stove top with a timer and clock.
Made in America
2-3k or less.
Does this unicorn exist?
Google sucks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
OST.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Aren’t all gas stoves convertible to propane? It just sounds like you want a conventional gas stove with the old style burners.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:42:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigred1001] [#3]
Most of the premium range vendors are going to be 6 burners or a griddle/grill that cannot be changed out.  Wolf, Monogram, Bosch, Thermador, Miele, Kitchenaid/Jenn air are all like this.  I think Bluestar is the same, just haven't sold them for a few years.

Verona offers an all gas range with just one middle burner. When I sold them in Michigan, they were built like shit.  Weighed less than some 30" ranges we carried.

Bertazzoni appears to offer a few as well.  I also sold them up north and they were certainly better built than the Verona's . Looks like pricing is in the 4-5000 range

Aga and La Corneau build some ranges on a common platform and will have 5 burner configs on a 36" range.  These are Dual fuel, so the ovens are 240V electric.
Look up Cornu Fe 90 or Aga Mercury.  Think around 12-16k for cost.

All should be able to be ordered for LP or have a conversion kit available.

None as far as I know will allow you to use the oven in the event of power outage, as they use an electronic glow bar ignition.  Gone are the days of pilot lights. You can light the burners just fine.

Good Luck

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a tough one.  36" puts you into the high end category for most brands.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not a guru, but when we did our remodel the guy at the contractor appliance place who seemed to know what he was talking about recommended Bluestar or American Range.  He said either one, unless I didn't want to spend that much money or wanted the look or the nameplate of something like Wolf, Viking or whatever.

We went with a 36" American and I have been very happy with it.  The oven is propane as well and I never use it since our electric wall oven is smaller and heats up faster.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you really need to can in the kitchen? I know very little about canning, but making a stove choice 87% based on canning seems weird to me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hillbilly69:
OST.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By konger:
Aren’t all gas stoves convertible to propane? It just sounds like you want a conventional gas stove with the old style burners.
View Quote

I assumed  so but didn't know for sure.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a GE gas stove last yr and had it converted to propane before installation.   The center burner is high out put but it is oval.

Like the new stove a lot.   The stove has quieted down quite a bit over the last yr.   There was virtually no smell but a whole lot of popping and creaking when it was new.  

If you are replacing an electric stove there is a splitter you can get that will plug into the 220 ac range plug and give you 2 110 lines out.  From Amazon.
That will save you from having an electrician come in and replace the plug.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
Do you really need to can in the kitchen? I know very little about canning, but making a stove choice 87% based on canning seems weird to me.
View Quote

Should I do it over a campfire?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies, I have more options  to research now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Grizz272:
I bought a GE gas stove last yr and had it converted to propane before installation.   The center burner is high out put but it is oval.
View Quote

GE five burner propane stove I have is stylish to my hillbilly self and wasn't stupid expensive by any means.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Our Cafe is 6 burner with a removable griddle. Don’t know the weight rating but I’ve definitely stood on it before

0% chance the stove works without power, it’s all push button.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ogreman73:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ogreman73:
Originally Posted By konger:

Pretty sure that’s the case. You might need some additional small parts like a regulator or something. I took a brand new one out at my cabin (set up for propane) and it’s just taking up space in my garage that I’d give you if you were closer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:04:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#20]
My wife and I have the 60" version 6 burner with grill from Five Star.  We're on propane and the gas burners work without power but you'll need a match or lighter to start them.

https://fivestarrange.com/product/ranges/

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Still looking.  Hitting  some stores to look around this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
My wife and I have the 60" version 6 burner with grill from Five Star.  We're on propane and the gas burners work without power but you'll need a match or lighter to start them.

https://i.imgur.com/rU3kAqy.jpeg

View Quote

Lol. Humble brag?  Nice stove though!

OP, buy this 60" version and use a quikee saw to cut it to size!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By pdm:

View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/rU3kAqy.jpeg

Sir, turn the power off and step away from the sawzall.  

Five Star has them down to 24" (plus the OP's requested 30") - no need for a hack job.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:58:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#24]

Five Star has them down to 24" (plus the OP's requested 30") - no need for a hack job.  
View Quote

Sawzall? lol…no. I was thinking this..

On a serious note, thanks for posting that brand. I'm also looking for a propane stove and when I searched I found a store in town that carries 5 star. I'm going to look at one today.

@Ogreman73. what did you come up with?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Sawzall? lol no. I was thinking this..

On a serious note, thanks for posting that brand. I'm also looking for a propane stove and when I searched I found a store in town that carries 5 star. I'm going to look at one today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/696/81rNYgVX1AL__AC_SL1500__jpeg-3172564.JPG

View All Quotes

Sawzall? lol no. I was thinking this..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/696/81rNYgVX1AL__AC_SL1500__jpeg-3172564.JPG

If you are near the border, Bob Wallace Appliance in Huntsville carries the Five Star brand:   https://www.bobwallaceappliance.com/_CGI/SEARCH3.HTML?MAN_SORT=FIV&MINOR=GR:GASR20|GR:GASR30|GR:GASPRO|GR:GRSPCL|GR:GASR24|GR:GR36A|GR:GRSLIN

We've been using Bob Wallace for decades.  We still have the refrig I bought from them in 1990 when I moved here from Seattle.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I’ve been happy with my Kucht 30”.  Analog.  No clock or timer, but that’s easily remedied.

Here’s their 36”.  Has the center burner that’ll take the weight you want, and the btu.

Kucht 36”
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#27]
If you are near the border, Bob Wallace Appliance in Huntsville carries the Five Star brand:   https://www.bobwallaceappliance.com/_CGI/SEARCH3.HTML?MAN_SORT=FIV&MINOR=GR:GASR20|GR:GASR30|GR:GASPRO|GR:GRSPCL|GR:GASR24|GR:GR36A|GR:GRSLIN

We've been using Bob Wallace for decades.  We still have the refrig I bought from them in 1990 when I moved here from Seattle.  

View Quote

Thanks. Huntsville is about 2 hours from me. There seems to be a dealer in Cleveland TN which is only 45 min away.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:34:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mikNtx] [#28]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Frigidaire Gallery
Love it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:43:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ATLDiver] [#30]
I have a Miele I like I bought off a wholesaler a couple of years ago. I wanted an honest to by God simmer function and I got it, it also has burner re-ignite.  

https://www.mieleusa.com/e/36-inch-range-hr-1134-3-g-ag-clean-touch-steel-11791410-p
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Thanks. Huntsville is about 2 hours from me. There seems to be a dealer in Cleveland TN which is only 45 min away.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:51:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -CUJO-] [#32]
I just switched from an electric cooktop w/ downdraft exhaust fan to a gas cooktop with an under cabinet exhaust fan.  When I was shopping around, all of the higher end makes (Wolf, Viking, Miele, Thermador, Dacor, etc.) won’t discount but sell at MSRP.  They all seemed so similar and I didn’t want to rack my brain. . . It was like picking out the color/material of countertops. You can end up really overthinking it.  I just went with Wolf (w/ the red knobs) for the name recognition and hopefully when I sell my house in the future, it’ll make it more attractive for prospective buyers.  I know that you’re looking for 36”; mine is a 30” with 36” exhaust fan.  I wish that I could’ve went bigger because they look so cool but didn’t have the space.  They have 2 models for NG and NG/LP though.  The big burner is 18,000 btu IIRC and they’re made in Madison, WI.

Another little thing that was brought to my attention was how the knobs were arranged.  I initially wanted all of the knobs in the front or at least in the center. I could’ve picked up a 5-burner with the big one in the middle and the knobs arranged in the front.  Sales people as well as my sister mentioned that it is better to have the knobs off to the side.  That way you’re not lifting things over or spilling things on the knobs if they’re in the center.  In my case, the knobs are on the right side of the cooktop.  My sink/prep area is to the left side of the cooktop so I can just slide any pots w/liquids or pans right in of that makes any sense.  

I don’t cook at all.

* Another thing to note is the exhaust fan. My sister could’ve went with anything she ended up going with a Chinese name brand exhaust fan and a Wolf cooktop.  The reason was that the Chinese exhaust fan was superior to others at the time and was made for cooking with a wok and stir fry where you need a strong fan.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Chambers 90c
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Can't see where that brilliant plan went awry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#35]
DCS/Fisher Paykel.  Also, buy a Vent-a-hood.

This stove is 30 years old and I can still get parts for it.  I replaced the igniter a couple years back, along with the oven starter module. This is the last residential stove to ship with commercial burners.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh and another thing:  There are open burner and sealed burner ranges.  See which one you prefer.  In my opinion, I don't understand the appeal of sealed burners.  But you know what they say about opinions.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top