BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 224
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LoneWolf545:

Only watched the first minute or so, but what I saw were a mix of Stoner 63's and M16A1's.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LoneWolf545:
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
From another member's separate thread:
Originally Posted By saigamanTX:
http://youtu.be/Y4zHud0yUtA

Declassified footage of a SEAL unit in Nam, most of them appear to be carrying belt fed 249's or other full auto guns.  Given the nature of their individual/small unit work seems like it could further support the cause.

Wes

Only watched the first minute or so, but what I saw were a mix of Stoner 63's and M16A1's.

Liked the old school flashlight mount.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump because this thread needs to be seen everyday
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Soonershooter12:
Bump because this thread needs to be seen everyday
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.wsj.com/articles/appeals-court-upholds-concealed-carry-restrictions-1465483920

Well, they basically screwed themselves now. If you cant carry concealed, you MUST be allowed to open carry...
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:
Watson v. Lynch - Petition for Rehearing En Banc

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Now that is a proper daily bump!
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By xxprince:

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#10]

maximum effort!
View All Quotes

maximum effort!

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#12]

maximum effort!
View All Quotes

maximum effort!
Page 6, missing a second " after terrify

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:43:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoloContendere] [#13]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#14]

lol.  ban me!

eta: seriously though... I appreciate the typo-pointing-out.  Unfortunately, you can't unfile and refile due to a typo.  Did you have any comments to the actual legal reasoning or did you simply want to point out a mistake I made?
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Glockie-Talkie:

maximum effort!
Page 6, missing a second " after terrify  

lol.  ban me!

eta: seriously though... I appreciate the typo-pointing-out.  Unfortunately, you can't unfile and refile due to a typo.  Did you have any comments to the actual legal reasoning or did you simply want to point out a mistake I made?
Wasn't trolling, just trying to help.

Just finished reading, my patent law experience would be of little help here. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:55:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: November5] [#16]
good idea!
View Quote

Arfcom needs to up the size limit for avatars

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#17]

good idea!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:

maximum effort!

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/1372326351668424334.gif

good idea!

Lol!
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I love you
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

I love you
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

I love you

No homo? or just a little homo??
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Great work.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks good, makes sense, but this is the court. I'm in your corner.      

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#22]
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Freedom_Or_DEATH:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/
View Quote

Meh.  Could have done worse by throwing a brick at the liquor wall and lighting a match.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Good stuff!

A side comment ...Your footnote that starts on Pg4 and finishes on Pg5 seems improperly formatted. I would have probably put it all on pg4 and moved the body onto the next page but I have no idea what the legal standard is.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Looking forward to hearing this.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:45:19 AM EDT
[#26]
finally got caught up.

I like it, I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a chance to briefly speak with Allen West this afternoon.  Elevator pitch ready, it went approximately like this:

<Typical pleasantries and greetings>

Felrom: Are you aware of the ongoing lawsuits of Hollis v Lynch and Watson v Lynch?

AW:  No, tell me about them.

F: They challenge the constitutionality of the National Firearms Act, the sixty-eight GCA and the Hughes Amendment.

AW: *Nods*

F: NRA members are looking for strong action from the board in support of these lawsuits, and we're not seeing it.

AW: Okay.

F: Stephen Stamboulieh, he's a lawyer out of Mississippi, he's leading the lawsuits and he's running for the board next year.

AW:  Okay, well we have a board get together next month, and I'm going to read up on this.

F: Stephen Stamboulieh is the lawyer.

AW: Thanks.

<Exiting pleasantries>

I only had about 20 seconds, the room was very crowded, he was about to go give a speech, and I have crushing social anxiety.  

Hopefully he remembers.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Good job, felrom.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By parshooter:

Good job, felrom.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By felrom:

I had a chance to briefly speak with Allen West this afternoon.  Elevator pitch ready, it went approximately like this:

Felrom: Are you aware of the ongoing lawsuits of Hollis v Lynch and Watson v Lynch?

F: They challenge the constitutionality of the National Firearms Act, the sixty-eight GCA and the Hughes Amendment.

F: NRA members are looking for strong action from the board in support of these lawsuits, and we're not seeing it.

F: Stephen Stamboulieh, he's a lawyer out of Mississippi, he's leading the lawsuits and he's running for the board next year.

AW:  Okay, well we have a board get together next month, and I'm going to read up on this.

<Exiting pleasantries>

I only had about 20 seconds, the room was very crowded, he was about to go give a speech, and I have crushing social anxiety.  

Hopefully he remembers.  

View Quote
Nice!

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By felrom:

<Exiting pleasantries>

Hopefully he remembers.  
View Quote

Nice!

Now email him a reminder and links to Nolo's website with the briefs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By parshooter:

Good job, felrom.
View Quote

THIS

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#33]
The en banc petition has literally zero chance of being granted. When it is denied, I hope Nolo has the good sense not to file a cert. petition. The only thing that could come of Supreme Court review would be affirmance and a chance for the Court, in the absence of Heller's author, to make some bad law on the common use test or, worse, outright recede from Heller.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:17:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSpaniard] [#35]

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I will cite to you in my petition.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheSpaniard:
The en banc petition has literally zero chance of being granted. When it is denied, I hope Nolo has the good sense not to file a cert. petition. The only thing that could come of Supreme Court review would be affirmance and a chance for the Court, in the absence of Heller's author, to make some bad law on the common use test or, worse, outright recede from Heller.

Hard words of truth are better than hollow ones of encouragement. I am dead serious about my advice not to seek certiorari. I can put you in touch with Alan Gura if you would like him to offer his thoughts on the matter, which I am certain parallel my own.

To be clear, I do not think a cert. grant is likely, but seeking one can only do harm.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Hard words of truth are better than hollow ones of encouragement. I am dead serious about my advice not to seek certiorari. I can put you in touch with Alan Gura if you would like him to offer his thoughts on the matter, which I am certain parallel my own.

To be clear, I do not think a cert. grant is likely, but seeking one can only do harm.
View All Quotes

Slow night over on Subguns, eh?
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSpaniard] [#38]
Gura's careful, nuanced, and supportable arguments persuaded bare 5-4 majorities to strike down absolute bans on handguns and operable long guns. What do you think your arguments would do with an 8-justice Court that is missing Scalia, and with four justices who want to overrule Heller? The best you can hope for (assuming the unlikely event of a cert. grant) is a 4-4 affirmance. But given Anthony Kennedy's index-finger-to-the-wind judicial philosophy (and current events, which always are sure to sway him) and the Chief's emphasis on judicial minimalism---not to mention the clear statements in Heller re: machine guns, which everyone in the Heller majority signed onto---I think you would do a hell of a lot worse than 4-4.

What's your SCOTUS head count? Which five justices will you win over?

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#39]
If it were me, my tactic would be to try to find a way to drag it out and make it take as long as possible, at least until we fill Scalia's seat. And if Hillary is the one to make the appointment, we will have worse things to worry about than never being able to legally buy new machine guns.

The best possible scenario for this case would be a Trump win, followed by replacing Scalia (and hopefully Ginsburg) with some originalists before it reaches SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Why would I discuss strategy on an open forum?
View All Quotes
Gura's careful, nuanced, and supportable arguments persuaded bare 5-4 majorities to strike down absolute bans on handguns and operable long guns. What do you think your arguments would do with an 8-justice Court that is missing Scalia, and with four justices who want to overrule Heller? The best you can hope for (assuming the unlikely event of a cert. grant) is a 4-4 affirmance. But given Anthony Kennedy's index-finger-to-the-wind judicial philosophy (and current events, which always are sure to sway him) and the Chief's emphasis on judicial minimalism---not to mention the clear statements in Heller re: machine guns, which everyone in the Heller majority signed onto---I think you would do a hell of a lot worse than 4-4.

If the New Orleans appeal came back in our favor would it help with the PA case?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

That's weak. You're telling me that you're willing to do podcast interviews and a Reddit AMA thread, and maintain a 213-page GD thread dedicated to discussing the case, but you are unwilling to tell me who your five justices are?

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#43]

That's weak. You're telling me that you're willing to do podcast interviews and a Reddit AMA thread, and maintain a 213-page GD thread dedicated to discussing the case, but you are unwilling to tell me who your five justices are?

View All Quotes

There's is literally no possibility that there will be 8 on the court when this case is heard, if ever, unless another justice dies or rerires.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Ah.  The DoJ mole has reappeared.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSpaniard] [#45]
Originally Posted By Mariner82:

View All Quotes

So not jumping on the bandwagon makes me a DOJ mole? How about an alternative theory: I am a reasonably well informed RKBA supporter who, like any honest lawyer, can read the tea leaves. Not a single federal court has struck down an AWB, and the en banc Fourth Circuit is fixing to reverse a divided panel opinion that didn't even strike one down, but merely held strict scrutiny should be applied on remand. If the Supreme Court hasn't even yet squarely held that the RKBA includes a right to carry outside the home, and the lower federal courts have uniformly rejected claims that the Second Amendment protects semi-auto "assault weapons," who in their right mind would think that now is the time to claim a right to machine guns?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Because everyone knows lawyers can't internet.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSpaniard] [#47]
Originally Posted By dillehayd:

There's is literally no possibility that there will be 8 on the court when this case is heard, if ever, unless another justice dies or rerires.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dillehayd:

Agreed. So let's assume it's Trump who wins, and he actually picks someone from his list (it is a good list, we have to give him credit for that). So that means Nolo is counting to five as follows: Chief, Kennedy, Thomas, Alito, and Trump's pick. Everyone aside from the newest justice signed an opinion clearly stating---despite Nolo's best efforts to find some ambiguity---that machine guns, and M-16s in particular, are not protected arms. That means Nolo isn't really counting to five. At best, he's counting to one.

In addition, even ignoring Heller's clear statements regarding machine guns and M-16s, no lawyer in his right mind would believe that Kennedy and the Chief would hold that there is a Second Amendment right to a machine gun. And certainly not when the Court has repeatedly been asked---and has repeatedly declined---to decide whether the Second Amendment protects carry outside the home or semi-auto "assault weapons."
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#48]

So not jumping on the bandwagon makes me a DOJ mole? How about an alternative theory: I am a reasonably well informed RKBA supporter who, like any honest lawyer, can read the tea leaves. Not a single federal court has struck down an AWB, and the en banc Fourth Circuit is fixing to reverse a divided panel opinion that didn't even strike one down, but merely held strict scrutiny should be applied on remand. If the Supreme Court hasn't even yet squarely held that the RKBA includes a right to carry outside the home, and the lower federal courts have uniformly rejected claims that the Second Amendment protects semi-auto "assault weapons," who in their right mind would think that now is the time to claim a right to machine guns?
View All Quotes

Sometimes the best approach is to go for the jugular.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Undefined:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Undefined:

Quite possible that Nolo's tea leaf reading ability is better as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I went to an unaccredited law school and I have failed the bar exam multiple times, and even I know your reasoning is flawed. (Of coarse none of this is legal advice, for legal advice consult a lawyer. :)

Anyway, I read Heller as absolutely protecting arms in common use. The AR15 is in common use as it's the most common type of rifle in the US, and the M16 would be were it not banned 'virtually' by the Hughes Amendment way back in 1986.

That said, a clear reading of Heller and McDonald absolutely does protect weapons in common use that are not dangerous or usual. Given the commentary that we have heard on various government law enforcement agencies demanding to use M16's themselves for personal protection, the arms in question hardly are excluded as dangerous or unusual. And of coarse they would be in common use except for the ban mentioned above. Therefore, it's reasonable to assume that the M16 would be a protected arm under Heller.

Give conservative judges a chance, and they might surprise you. They follow the law. SCOTUS just protected stun guns as being in common use, and there are just as many of those as machine guns, more or less. Therefore even if we don't take into the account the chilling effect of the 1986 ban, the machine gun would be in common use based on pure numbers.

That said, Nolo is smart enough not to discuss strategy on an open forum. Nolo knows what he is doing. In Nolo we trust!

So I have one question for you. Do you think the Constitution protects an individual right to possess a machine gun? I suspect your answer will tell us much about your intentions.
Page / 224
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top