Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:41:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _Nataraja_] [#1]
Polygon bikes. I just went through this with a bike for my wife. Benefit from my endless researching (suffering). She swore she would stick with it so we got a Sisku D7. Everyone typically recommends a hardtail, but anymore I don't think that's always true.

I have a $10k bike (it's GD, so poors can go home), and a lifetime of riding, so I generally know bikes. I must say, I was skeptical for the price, but man oh man, that thing ROCKS! Even though it's way small, I still rode it around to adjust it, and for the price I can't believe how much bike it is.

If I was buying for me, I'd go on Pinbike.com and try to find one used.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:

Your reading comprehension is a level or two below your bike knowledge.

Op didn’t say he was looking for a downhill bike.
Hence why I said he didn’t need a dropper.

You’re the exact kind of person who turns people off new hobbies because you just can’t help but spew forth your knowledge in a condescending manner.
But go ahead guy and be the typical GD dickhead.
View Quote

I'd rather have a single speed and a dropper than a 1x12 and no dropper.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By LV1976:

The "people did just fine without them" argument is stupid. They do even better with them. He already said what kind of terrain he wants to ride, and he's not going to be a "new rider" for very long.  If you admit they're great, its of benefit to him.
View Quote

What terrain does he want?

With his budget, a dropper takes away a good amount of component and fork level.  He can always add one later if his riding and the trails needed it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:43:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PrincipsPistol] [#4]

Your reading comprehension is a level or two below your bike knowledge.

Op didn’t say he was looking for a downhill bike.
Hence why I said he didn’t need a dropper.

You’re the exact kind of person who turns people off new hobbies because you just can’t help but spew forth your knowledge in a condescending manner.
But go ahead guy and be the typical GD dickhead.
View Quote

Ironically, DH bikes have standard seat posts. No reason to ever have the saddle up for DH.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

View Quote

Do you ride a SS?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BaconFat:

Do you ride a SS?
View Quote

not currently but I have (not counting the time I forgot to charge my axs battery )

currently planning out a  custom frame from Marino bikes for a 140mm steel hard tail mullet single speed. something to turn greens and blues into wicked fun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By _Nataraja_:
Polygon bikes. I just went through this with a bike for my wife. Benefit from my endless researching (suffering). She swore she would stick with it so we got a Sisku D7. Everyone typically recommends a hardtail, but anymore I don't think that's always true.

I have a $10k bike (it's GD, so poors can go home), and a lifetime of riding, so I generally know bikes. I must say, I was skeptical for the price, but man oh man, that thing ROCKS! Even though it's way small, I still rode it around to adjust it, and for the price I can't believe how much bike it is.

View Quote

The direct to consumer bikes often do pack a lot of value into their bikes for a good price.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#8]

not currently but I have (not counting the time I forgot to charge my axs battery )

currently planning out a  custom frame from Marino bikes for a 140mm steel hard tail mullet single speed. something to turn greens and blues into wicked fun.
View Quote

Nice, I have heard great things about Marino bikes

My SS is a Spot Rocker, with carbon fork
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By _Nataraja_:

View Quote

The Polygon do look good for the money.  When it's time to get my son a dual suspension, I'll probably go with them.  Can't beat the 24".  He is currently on a Giant STP with a few upgrades and it's plenty of bike for him in the Virginia Beach area.  Once we start heading west, it will be time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Op-
Ignore the 16 inch dicked, supermodel wife having, billionaire tards of gd.
You don’t need a carbon framed, $1500 fork, drop post, wireless shifting bike.

But wear a helmet. Even if you feel like a dork.

Giant makes solid bikes.
Got mine last winter for half off on eBay.
View Quote

Even a decent Giant full suspension mountain bike is going to be 2500-4k if you actually want to hit real trails unless you buy used. The Trance 29 2 is on sale for 2k, the trance x3 is 2k and x2 is 2500. A giant reign 2 is 3600.00.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: salsa] [#11]
They are good bikes in your price range, especially if you are open to lightly used bikes. Saying “mountain bike” is a very broad term. There are frame types such as hardtail and full suspension, wheel size considerations, without mentioning frame types and materials. Also would depend what you plan on riding trail/condition wise. It is like saying AR15, that could be anything from pistol to rifle to precision target. Best thing is to find a decent shop and look around and try a few. Frame brands have differing theories on frame geometry and that can affect how you like it greatly. If you were close I could get you no less than 20 different bikes and you would narrow your search down quickly on what you like and what you want. Ask some better directed questions and I can help more closely.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

Lots has changed. I still hate 650b and 29. Also fat tires are stupid.

I ride 24 and 26.

I'm grouchy and I like my bike. I can still hang with folks on new bikes so it's not my equipment keeping me back. I'm slow!
View Quote

You might like those wheels where you are, come ride here and would not ever ride those sizes. 27.5 or 29 those are your choices. Plus they look like kids bikes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By salsa:

You might like those wheels where you are, come ride here and would not ever ride those sizes. 27.5 or 29 those are your choices. Plus they look like kids bikes.
View Quote

I ride technical, not flat. I've ridden quite a few places from the West Coast to Mississippi. Never wanted bigger tires. I ride DH, FR and Trials. I like my playful smaller wheels. I've thought about going back to 20" for trials.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Used bikes can be a good deal, but you need to know what you are looking at. Lots of bikes for sale that need new drivetrain, suspension rebuilt, frame cracks. Safer bet is a local bike shop.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Trek has a decent sale going on right now.  The roscoe 7 isn't a bad bike for the money to get started on.  

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/roscoe/roscoe-7/p/35116/
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#16]
Originally Posted By HamonRye:
Trek has a decent sale going on right now.  The roscoe 7 isn't a bad bike for the money to get started on.  

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/roscoe/roscoe-7/p/35116/
View Quote
Everything I'm seeing and reading online suggests the bike industry is hurting and slashing prices to move inventory.

OP, I have a Trek Roscoe 8 and absolutely love it.  No regrets about buying it, even though it's now $300 cheaper.  

Check out the Roscoe 6 .  It went thru a major upgrade this year and is completely modern in it's geometry and component specs, which means it's a bike right at your price point that will be more than sufficient to get started and it's fully upgradeable if you choose to go that route.  I would recommend spending a little more and getting the 7 or 8, if for nothing else than moving up from 9 gears to 12, but the Roscoe 6 would be a great bike to get started on.

Someone already mentioned how much bikes have changed in recent years and until you ride a modern, long-low-and-slack mountain bike, you won't understand how fucking confidence inspiring the new geometry really is.  I'll do things on my Roscoe I wouldn't have dreamed of doing on my other bikes.

Many people also don't know that all bike shops (dedicated shops, not bike departments in sporting good stores) will let you test ride any bike you are interested in.  They will make suggestions on bikes to try, make sure you get the right size, make sure it's set up for your fit and make sure everything is working to ensure a safe ride.  Go ride as many bikes as you can find and chances are, you'll find one that's worth upping your budget a bit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By corwin1968:
Everything I'm seeing and reading online suggests the bike industry is hurting and slashing prices to move inventory.

Many people also don't know that all bike shops (dedicated shops, not bike departments in sporting good stores) will let you test ride any bike you are interested in.  They will make suggestions on bikes to try, make sure you get the right size, make sure it's set up for your fit and make sure everything is working to ensure a safe ride.  Go ride as many bikes as you can find and chances are, you'll find one that's worth upping your budget a bit.
View Quote
They absolutely are. It was a huge boom from Covid, everyone was buying and there was no supply. Everyone ramped up supply, but now the demand has fallen out.

Many bike shops also have demo/rental bikes that they sell the following year for a decent discount.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Mountain biking is great.

Bikes drop significantly in value, look for a used bike from a local bike shop. They will help you get one the right size and adjust it to fit you.

I have two Stumpjumpers but there are other good bikes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, any progress? Find a real bike shop and try out a few, both inside and outside of your price range.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CypressCity:
I'm a fan of Kona. My wife and I just bought Kona hardtails last year to do exactly what you just described OP and they don't break the bank.  I can do medium to even difficult mountain trails with it no problem.  Id recommend a hardtail too over full suspension because I just don't think you need it unless you're doing some pretty serious downhill shit...  plus at your price range, it would be impossible to find one unless it's used or something.

https://www.konaworld.com/collections/mountain-hardtail
View Quote
Kona is unlikely to exist in three months.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:27:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sorionc] [#21]
Originally Posted By rcintx:
I picked up at Giant Talon last fall for just under $1k.  It has been a wonderful bike and I have put a ton of miles on it on intermediate trails.  Go to the bike shop and try a few bikes.  I went in wanting a Kona and came out with a Giant.  It just "fit" me better after trying a few.  Get what fits and you can afford and go ride.  Forget about the details and have fun.

Tell me more about the dropper.  I've heard talk of them but have no experience.  
View Quote
Was going to recommend the talon. I just saw one at the shop and was impressed with the value.  It's got deore gear and is absolutely a fine starter MTB bike.  

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/talon-1-2022

eta. As other have said used is a fine way to start. Make sure they fit and don't be picky. Highly recommend against full sus for first bike unless you're strictly downhill. Or don't care about your money.  I am faster on 87% of the single track around here on my 20yr hard tail compared to my newer trance.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#22]
I'd do this in a heartbeat if I were OP. Typically a good FS bike starts at $3500.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

https://www.costco.com/intense-951-xc-bike.product.100691780.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:37:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredsaint] [#23]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Always look for used.some get into it spend big money then take a couple rides and realize pedals aint for them and sell them
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#25]
The Intense Trail version is also only $3K at Costco.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:11:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AgeOne] [#26]
Originally Posted By sorionc:
Kona is unlikely to exist in three months.
View Quote

This is true but unlike some brands they aren't spec'd out with proprietary bullshit...

The bike will be serviceable and upgradeable for a good while, and an aluminum hardtail is unlikely to have any problems with frame for a good long time.

The honzo I posted would be a good bike for starter into advanced rider.

Right now they have some killer deals. If it was full squis id say stay away since service parts but hardtails are just so simple. No need to think about it.

Id have fun on it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Not sure what type of terrain you are on but give a fat tire bike a try.
If you are riding on asphalt it's not for you, but of all my bikes, road, 29 hardtail and fatty the fat tire gets ridden WAY more.
It's more comfortable, capable and fun off road than other bikes. You can ride it on the beach and on snow too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:37:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sporter] [#28]
The trek marlin 7 on sale for 799 will do about anything a beginner wants to do and do it fairly well.

It's also a 29er with rockshox....
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Ive been mountain biking for almost 40 years, since I was 15 and racing pro downhill for a lot of those years. Here's what I would do. Buy a used 29" hardtail off of CL to carry you through summer. Do research on what you like/need and buy the new bike around Thanksgiving when shops are blowing out current bikes to make room for next years bikes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:13:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shaneus] [#30]
Go down in the poor side of town and find the guy with the used bike shop.

Get a high end bike from 5 years ago with some paint chips.  All tuned and in good order for a few hundred.

Would insist on discs.  But i like a hard tail unless you plan on lots of freeride downhill.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Nothing good out there for a grand that is new.   I’d look for a good used one in the book of faces or Craigslist.    Look for Specialized, Kona, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Ibis, or Trek.   Look for SRAM GX drivetrain and SRAM components in a 2018-2020 year and you might get down around 1-2K.  Mountain biking is a hoot!    I just dropped $6K on a new Santa Cruz.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Erick1744:
Polygon sisku d6. $1,099. Bikesonline

Alot of bike for $1100.
View Quote
@Erick1744

Great recommendation although I would go with the T8.
I've ridden the crap out of mine on very technical trails and it's running perfectly. Bone stock too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I’d say you should be able to get a good used hardtail for $1500.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#34]
OP needs a 10-22 and arfcom says he needs an anschutz or hes wasting money.

OP depending on your kinda trails, full sus can be really nice. But it does increase the price for the same level of bike.

A Specialized Rockhopper (hardtail) will be plenty to get your feet wet and not break the bank.

Hell ,I rode a K2 I bought from Dicks in many adventure races. Yes, I changed the fork, brakes, shifters/deraileurs, tires, bars, chain, cassette.

You dont need a damn 1500+ bike to get some experience and see what you like/want.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:36:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AgeOne] [#35]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
OP needs a 10-22 and arfcom says he needs an anschutz or hes wasting money.

View Quote

I think what constitutes a 10/22 is more what's at question.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I ride one every day, 2-3 miles just to keep my legs lubed. It was destined for the garbage because nothing worked on it, now all 18 speeds and the brakes work and the tires are holding air.
Flat roads but I enjoy riding it. Like it better than the 2 stroke motorized bike I put together and sold just recently.
Pedal bikes are good for your health, sort of. Mountain bikes can put you in a wheel chair just as fast as a motorcycle if you are in to the 'adventure. LOL

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:54:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: baitdragger] [#38]

The "people did just fine without them" argument is stupid. They do even better with them. He already said what kind of terrain he wants to ride, and he's not going to be a "new rider" for very long.  If you admit they're great, its of benefit to him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BaconFat:

Nobody has suggested any bikes with carbon frames, a $1500 fork or wireless shifting, so your post is pretty disingenuous right from the start. And if you don't realize the benefit of a dropper you have no business telling anyone anything about mtn bikes. I'll give you credit for the helmet, so your post wasn't a complete waste of space.

Are droppers great..yep.  Do you need one...nope.  People rode just fine for a long time without them and many trails they aren't needed, especially for a new rider.

My 11 year old told me he needs a dropper and he was right.  They make a difference.

It’s like saying I do better without my red dot than with it because folks in the 70’s shot iron sights

There is no arguing with people who claim a $400 mountain bike is where it’s at

There are cheap bikes that are heavy trash, there are $10k bikes that are wastes.  And then there are good value bikes that you want to ride and won’t need to fix

Used maybe 1-2k.    New.  $3-4k.   Will last you for a while

I just sold a 2016 hard tail for $700.  I put 1,000 or 2 miles on it.   I bought a $3,600 full suspension that was on sale from $7k

Deals are out there on bikes.  It’s a buyers market

There is no reason to buy a $400 new bike.  
Keep in mind you can fuck yourself up quick on real trails.   Quality brakes and such mean something to folks who can easily end their month….
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By pasowino:
Nothing good out there for a grand that is new.   I’d look for a good used one in the book of faces or Craigslist.    Look for Specialized, Kona, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Ibis, or Trek.   Look for SRAM GX drivetrain and SRAM components in a 2018-2020 year and you might get down around 1-2K.  Mountain biking is a hoot!    I just dropped $6K on a new Santa Cruz.  Good luck.
View Quote

What Santa Cruz did you get?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:59:05 AM EDT
[#40]
If there was ever a chose two situation, this is it.

The cost of the bike will move up or down with what you intend to do with it. Green flow trails can be enjoyed with a lower cost hardtail with no dropped post.

Blue or above is going to beg a dropper and full suspension

I use my dropper lever more than my gear shift lever.

After you figure out what trails you want to ride then it’s time for choose two.

Lightweight
Durable
Inexpensive

Choose two.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:55:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: corwin1968] [#41]
Originally Posted By baitdragger:

Keep in mind you can fuck yourself up quick on real trails.   Quality brakes and such mean something to folks who can easily end their month .
View Quote

If you are a middle-aged-going-on-old man who still thinks he's a kid, you can fuck yourself up on relatively mild trails.  

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#42]

My 11 year old told me he needs a dropper and he was right.  They make a difference.

It’s like saying I do better without my red dot than with it because folks in the 70’s shot iron sights
View Quote

Nah, it's like saying yes a red dot is better, but if you are starting, irons are fine, it will get you out there shooting and having fun and you don't need a red dot for that.

OP just needs to get a safe bike, get out on the trails and start having fun.  He can always add a dropper later, it easier than adding a red dot later
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I have two droppers. An 18 year old Gravity Dropper and a newish Bike Yoke. Both are in a box. Unneeded weight and a QR and solid post is just fine.

I guess it would be nice for flow (sidewalks) and jump lines, but that's not real mountain biking.

Just my experience from 39 years of racing. Pro DH, Cat 1 enduro, open class super d and cross country single speed, cruiser BMX, triathalons. Put me on a bike and I'll race.

I have to laugh at what the industry pushes. They think hey know but they're behind the times. Low, long and slack? Yeah, they they were 15 years too late. Custom frames for the win.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Milehi22:

I have two droppers. An 18 year old Gravity Dropper and a newish Bike Yoke. Both are in a box. Unneeded weight and a QR and solid post is just fine.

I guess it would be nice for flow (sidewalks) and jump lines, but that's not real mountain biking.

Just my experience from 39 years of racing. Pro DH, Cat 1 enduro, open class super d and cross country single speed, cruiser BMX, triathalons. Put me on a bike and I'll race.

I have to laugh at what the industry pushes. They think hey know but they're behind the times. Low, long and slack? Yeah, they they were 15 years too late. Custom frames for the win.

View Quote

outside of small numbers of older and very experienced riders droppers are really goddamn nice.

they're up there with disk brakes, tubeless and 1x drivetrains.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#45]

outside of small numbers of older and very experienced riders droppers are really goddamn nice.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Milehi22:

Truth
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I've been on a 1X since the late 80's. Back then I used a tandem timing ring. 38X7 but I was 18 years old and had kid stregnth. Today's bikes limit you to a 34 ring which is what I run.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#47]
How old are you OP?  I'd say riding a motorcycle on public roads is probably safer than mountain biking, at any age.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Jones LWB. I just got one and am a raving fan now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:10:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#49]

If you are a middle-aged-going-on-old man who still thinks he's a kid, you can fuck yourself up on relatively mild trails.  

Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes

Keep in mind you can fuck yourself up quick on real trails.   Quality brakes and such mean something to folks who can easily end their month .

Click To View Spoiler

Brings new meaning to pinky swear
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TZ250] [#50]

Click To View Spoiler

View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

Tis but a scratch

I personally know several people that have left Snowshoe Bike Park in an ambulance. Broken backs, ribs, tib-fib, multiple collarbones, etc.

Anything that gets your adrenaline up is likely full of risk.

Absolutely 100% do not look at this photo unless you want to see real damage

Click To View Spoiler

This wasn’t done on a mild trail.

Lower Hareball. It’s caught the best in the world out. But this guy had on a full face DH helmet and goggles.

The risk is out there

Page / 3
Top Top