Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/22/2024 6:59:28 PM EDT
Curious as to any side effects you have had and their severity?  Was just prescribed it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
For weightloss?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I would never do another cut without it that’s for damn sure. Or sema etc.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
This topic is of interest to me as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Zepbound here. Same thing. Shit works.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
My doctor prescribed it because despite eating very low carb, less than 20 a day, my A1c is still 6.5, so giving this a try.

My main worry was when I took Victoza after a few months I began vomiting violently.   I think Mounjaro and Victoza are a similar family of drugs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Starting Zepbound next week. I’ve had a hard time losing weight. My labs are all good, but despite my activity I’m stuck in terms of weight loss. I walk and bike, lift weights and probably climb 100 flights of stairs daily, but it persists. Very excited to try it for the sole purpose of staving off cardiovascular disease and reducing my BP.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:10:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samal] [#7]
I am on 2.5mg for 4 weeks at this time. Insurance did not approve 5mg, but it approved 2.5 for my A1C of 5.9 - prediabetic.  I cut my portions more than half, strictly keto, and fast intermittently (11 am and 4 pm meals) without any trouble - I am never hungry. Lost 20 lbs so far, 15 in the first two weeks.  53 yo. 5'8", was 245, now 224

no side effects  
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Samal:
I am on 2.5mg for 4 weeks at this time. Insurance did not approve 5mg, but it approved 2.5 for my A1C of 5.9 - prediabetic.  I cut my portions more than half, strictly keto, and fast intermittently (11 am and 4 pm meals) without any trouble - I am never hungry. Lost 20 lbs so far, 15 in the first two weeks.  53 yo. 5'8", was 245, now 224

no side effects  
View Quote

What i am hoping for.  Doing intermittent fasting, keto, and in three months have only dropped 10 pounds.

I am constantly hungry,  an hour after a big meal of meat and veggies and in an hour I am hungry like I had never eaten.   Hoping this will slow down stomach emptying.   I  had a test on this about two years ago and my stomach was emptying out in less than two hours.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:35:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samal] [#9]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:

What i am hoping for.  Doing intermittent fasting, keto, and in three months have only dropped 10 pounds.

I am constantly hungry,  an hour after a big meal of meat and veggies and in an hour I am hungry like I had never eaten.   Hoping this will slow down stomach emptying.   I  had a test on this about two years ago and my stomach was emptying out in less than two hours.
View Quote
you will not be able to eat big meals on it - it will make you feel bloated and nauseous.  my breakfast is either two eggs and veggies or one egg, one slice of ham and veggies. Dinner is about 1/3 lb of chicken or salmon and salad or grilled veggies.  I eat and drink on Saturdays with no limitations
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
you will not be able to eat big meals on it - it will make you feel bloated and nauseous.  my breakfast is either two eggs and veggies or one egg, one slice of ham and veggies. Dinner is about 1/3 lb of chicken or salmon and salad or grilled veggies.  I eat and drink on Saturdays with no limitations
View Quote

Good that will be helpful.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
@midcap
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:56:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#12]
I've taken one dose.  Due for number two tomorrow.  My doc had to switch me from Trulicity after I couldn't find any.

So far, the only side effects were some bloating and gas and a bit of a feeling of indigestion.  Also, my burps smelled.
But that only lasted a few hours after a semi-large meal I had maybe a day after my dose.  I haven't had a large meal since, and I've had no more issues.  Sugar levels are good.

I do have a noticeable decrease in appetite.  Digestion has basically slowed down, so things stay in the stomach longer and take longer to go through the intestines, so I feel full longer.  Yay!
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I have taken the 2.5mg dose for 3 months for diabetes control. My A1C went from 7.1 to 5.0 in that period. My weight has dropped from 235 to 208. No bad side effects. It will make you feel kind of bloated if you try to eat a big meal. I had a slight nausea feeling the first couple of weeks but that faded. Honestly, the 2.5mg dose has kind of run its course I think, it does not seem as effective as when I started. My doc has not bumped me up to the 5mg dose, it might be an insurance thing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That’s what I eat normally without a medication. 5’11” 230. Those are called normal portions.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife says sulfur burps.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I take 5mg of responsible eating and disciplined exercise a week. Works amazingly.

OP you arent fat because your body isnt making enough semaglutide, you are fat because you cant control what you put in your mouth. Quit medicating a willpower problem.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By billth777:
I take 5mg of responsible eating and disciplined exercise a week. Works amazingly.

OP you arent fat because your body isnt making enough semaglutide, you are fat because you cant control what you put in your mouth. Quit medicating a willpower problem.
View Quote

This is one of the reasons I just love this place. Hey  everyone let's make fun of all the lazy weak shitty fat people. Hey everyone let's take a big dump on someone trying to help themselves and see if we can't squash the last little bit of hope out of them.
You trip any old people or steal any kids toys today?  Don't miss your opportunity to spread some goodwill and cheer any chance you get.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:

This is one of the reasons I just love this place. Hey  everyone let's make fun of all the lazy weak shitty fat people. Hey everyone let's take a big dump on someone trying to help themselves and see if we can't squash the last little bit of hope out of them.
You trip any old people or steal any kids toys today?  Don't miss your opportunity to spread some goodwill and cheer any chance you get.
View Quote

He sounds like someone who has no concept of what it feels like to always be ravenously starving.  Some people have hyperactive digestive systems, and it’s a major struggle to do what he takes for granted.  It comes across as someone making fun of someone crawling in the desert for being thirsty.  When I first took Trulicity, I wanted to weep with joy.  I was shocked.  For the first time, I wasn’t hungry every moment of the day. I figured this must be what normal people feel like, and it was amazing.  If I felt like that normally, losing weight would be a snap.  He has no idea.  So instead, he just throws rocks like a bully on the playground.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By USA1st:
@midcap
View Quote

Was waiting for this.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#20]
A1C is borderline. But I have metabolic syndrome. So doc put me on 10mg as a way to rein it in.

When I can actually fill the script, it work. But all those taking it just for weight loss are sucking inventory from those with A1C issues.

But, zero side effects in my case.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#21]
My wife gets the shits the next day. Taking Pepto in advance helps a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By kissfan:
A1C is borderline. But I have metabolic syndrome. So doc put me on 10mg as a way to rein it in.

When I can actually fill the script, it work. But all those taking it just for weight loss are sucking inventory from those with A1C issues.

View Quote

How is your metabolic syndrome and borderline A1c more important than a weight problem?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By new_RRA_user:

How is your metabolic syndrome and borderline A1c more important than a weight problem?
View Quote
Because unchecked it will continue to rise and put me in Type-2. That's why.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

People are also pushing the envelope on weight loss. Cosmetic surgeons are offering it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I was once a fat. I lost my weight the old fashioned way with sheer white knuckle willpower. Not even a single cheat meal for seven months. I dreamed about food. I was hungry the vast majority of every day of that time.

Now that there are drugs that take all that away, there’s no way I’d do it that way again. It’s not a ‘being a pussy’ thing, it’s a ‘smarter not harder’ thing.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I have lost weight from the sheer white knuckle thing, but right now it's doing little after fasting, eating right.  It worked before  but not now.

If someone doesn't know what it's like to be constantly hungry even after you just ate, well, it bucks.  I never feel satisfied or satiated and I just suck it up.  It makes you constantly crave food even if you know you just ate.  

Also, as stated in the OP, the current medication seems to have lost its effectiveness,  hence the main reason for the change.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Meh, I tend to agree, don't bash solid advice. It takes a real work ethic at our age to keep up and not rely on pharmaceutical answers, check testosterone levels and procede accordingly. I am not bashing but will say late 40s early 50s it's still a game of will power.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:18:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Antero] [#28]
I’m on my third week of Ozempic, which is very similar to Munjaro. My last A1C was 6.7, down from 7.1. Of course I am in the ramping up phase right now, one more week of 0.25 before going up to .5 for a month, and then to 1.0. So far I have had a little nausea late night and early morning, starting about 4 days after the injection and lasting about four hours. It goes away after a couple days, and after my third injection I had no nausea at all.  No other side effects. The injection is completely painless. Once I’m up to the maintenance dose I’ll be dropping Metformin and I’ll actually be able to enjoy an occasional adult beverage again, which will be really nice.

I had reservations about this drug but my wife is a clinical pharmacist and she did not. She wanted me on it, so I got on it.

Adding this: Ozempic has altered my appetite. I’m over-full after an ordinary meal, which has forced me to eat less each meal. Also I don’t really seem to snack anymore. I just don’t think of it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Tirzepatide, the active ingredient in mounjaro, is amazing.  Slows digestion.  Tells brain you are full earlier.  Dampens cravings.   Its a double agonist for the glp1 and  gip receptors.

Stay at lowest effective dose until you lose effects then move to next dose.   Get some moderate consist exercise and enjoy the ride.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

This.  Both have health implications.  Heart issues.  More stress on organs and cardiovascular system.  I'm perplexed.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:16:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: high_order1] [#31]

I am the one that is always bitching about it.

The mechanism of action is also the side effects.

If you have a history of bowel issues, liver or pancreas issues, I would be very hesitant to use it.

If you are on it, even if you have to pay for it, monitor your liver and pancreas on the regular. Also, and this is going to be gross, monitor the amount of pooping you do. What you eliminate should be close to what you're eating. If you are eating, but only rarely rabbit poop, it is building up in there.

For a fact, the risk of getting pancreatitis goes up on these. The pancreas is very important to you, and it will not grow back.

If you have no more urge to eat, what you do eat is critical. Don't just graze or snack on garbage.

All I am saying is, it is not like taking an aspirin and there is no worries or troubles.

edit to add a link and a thought:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/aussie-husbands-plea-after-wife-dies-trying-to-lose-weight-for-daughters-wedding-213812998.html

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:16:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sergtjim] [#32]
Type 1 diabetic.

Took Trulicity for two months then went to mounjaro 5mg.

All told it's been six months.

The only side effects I've noticed are very occasional constipation and I sometimes get cold even in a warm room which I never did before.  The "food" voice in my head is gone.  I just don't have that urge to eat.

So far I've lost just over 50 pounds and am eating between 1200 and 1900 calories daily and don't feel hungry.

My morning blood glucose has dropped 20 points or so and I've reduced my injected insulin ~10 units daily.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:18:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Stop drinking beer, and work on your core.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:31:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Lost almost 20 lbs the first month. 5 the second and starting to taper off. First two weeks kinda suck but after that it’s been smooth sailing. You will have NO desire to eat, it’s pretty wild.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:52:21 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought. What do you think? Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:22:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#36]
My doctor prescribed it because despite eating very low carb, less than 20 a day, my A1c is still 6.5, so giving this a try.

My main worry was when I took Victoza after a few months I began vomiting violently.   I think Mounjaro and Victoza are a similar family of drugs.
View Quote

Were you also eating high fat?

Gluconeogenesis converts protein to glucose when eating high protein diets. It can mess with type 2 diabetics by providing what is essentially a drip IV of glucose when they can't really process it correctly.

Did you check with strips to see if you were getting into ketosis?

It's not my favorite way to eat, but it does tend have the really weird side effect of basically eliminating hunger, but you have to get in and stay in for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Just a heads up on these drugs.

Wife is a CRNA. if you’re going to have any surgery you have to be off these meds for a short while. They’re finding out the 12 hour fast before surgery isn’t cleaning out the gut and some patients have aspirated due to food still present.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:

Wife is a CRNA. if you’re going to have any surgery you have to be off these meds for a short while. They’re finding out the 12 hour fast before surgery isn’t cleaning out the gut and some patients have aspirated due to food still present.
View Quote

Makes sense.  If things are slower, it’ll take longer to clear out.

Instead of not taking it, I would think just not eating for a longer pre-surgery time would be sufficient.  Maybe 24 hours instead of 12.  If you have to stop taking it, how long do they suggest?  The dosage is weekly, so do you have to wait a couple of weeks, or would just not taking any within a couple-few days of surgery be okay?

I wonder if there would also be any change when prepping for a colonoscopy and such.  If so, it’s probably not as much.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

Instead of not taking it, I would think just not eating for a longer pre-surgery time would be sufficient.  Maybe 24 hours instead of 12.  If you have to stop taking it, how long do they suggest?  The dosage is weekly, so do you have to wait a couple of weeks, or would just not taking any within a couple-few days of surgery be okay?

I wonder if there would also be any change when prepping for a colonoscopy and such.  If so, it’s probably not as much.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:

I have seen some reports even 24 hours of not eating was not enough to clear the GI tract.  There is definitely an increased risk in complications.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#40]

He sounds like someone who has no concept of what it feels like to always be ravenously starving.  Some people have hyperactive digestive systems, and it’s a major struggle to do what he takes for granted.  It comes across as someone making fun of someone crawling in the desert for being thirsty.  When I first took Trulicity, I wanted to weep with joy.  I was shocked.  For the first time, I wasn’t hungry every moment of the day. I figured this must be what normal people feel like, and it was amazing.  If I felt like that normally, losing weight would be a snap.  He has no idea.  So instead, he just throws rocks like a bully on the playground.
View Quote

This is my position as well.

The people who say “just eat less” are not wrong, but I think it is akin to pain tolerance. It’s impossible to tell how someone feels, and some people probably do just have zero self control, but being hungry every minute of every day makes things very difficult.

Even if you are sometimes hungry how do you know if your level of hunger is anything like someone else’s. It is possible someone over eats because they are incredibly hungry all of the time.

Not everyone’s metabolism is the same either. I work with someone who religiously tracks everything he eats who was unable to gain weight despite eating 6500 calories a day. He takes some sort of medication now because that’s obviously a bit extreme, but surely some people have that type of metabolism to a lesser extent.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I have been on it, and the coupons system is down so I have been off for a few weeks.

It;s a miracle drug for me...the reason is that, my upper GI tract emptys fucking quick....but lower is either SLOW AF or quick AF...one day I ate peas for lunch, it was out in 4 hours.

So, mounjaro allows me to not be fucking hungry all the fucking time and it also unfucks my stomach...no more symptoms of IBS....I am regular and life is good
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Gluconeogenesis converts protein to glucose when eating high protein diets. It can mess with type 2 diabetics by providing what is essentially a drip IV of glucose when they can't really process it correctly.

It's not my favorite way to eat, but it does tend have the really weird side effect of basically eliminating hunger, but you have to get in and stay in for awhile.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Was trying to get the fats in, something I struggle with, but usually don't overdo it on protein either.  Been working more on that, had bacon cheeseburger for lunch yesterday.  Bacon with eggs cooked in the bacon grease with cheese on top the day before.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Wife has an outpatient procedure. Not on this stuff. Regardless, the instructions said a week for any injectable form or 4 days for oral.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By midcap:
I have been on it, and the coupons system is down so I have been off for a few weeks.

It;s a miracle drug for me...the reason is that, my upper GI tract emptys fucking quick....but lower is either SLOW AF or quick AF...one day I ate peas for lunch, it was out in 4 hours.

So, mounjaro allows me to not be fucking hungry all the fucking time and it also unfucks my stomach...no more symptoms of IBS....I am regular and life is good
View Quote

I have had the problem of lunch or dinner in and out in 4-8 hours.  Only slows down if I eat a bunch of fatty meat, then I feel like crap and a slug after that.  I am really hoping that this helps and fortunately, my insurance covers it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:32:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#45]

I am constantly hungry, an hour after a big meal of meat and veggies and in an hour I am hungry like I had never eaten.   Hoping this will slow down stomach emptying.   I  had a test on this about two years ago and my stomach was emptying out in less than two hours.
View All Quotes

no side effects  

I am constantly hungry, an hour after a big meal of meat and veggies and in an hour I am hungry like I had never eaten.   Hoping this will slow down stomach emptying.   I  had a test on this about two years ago and my stomach was emptying out in less than two hours.
Doesn't sound like you're in ketosis, so you're eating carbs from somewhere.  One of the hallmarks of keto is:   The Lack of Hungry.

See if this helps you find out what you're missing:

KETO Didn’t Work for Me (11 reasons Why) 2024

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:13:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sergtjim] [#46]

View Quote

Lots of vegetables have carbohydrates.

You need to look each one up and calculate the effective carbohydrate count.

You may be eating peas, carrots, corn, potato maybe.  These are bad.

These are good.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Doesn't sound like you're not in ketosis, so you're eating carbs from somewhere.  One of the hallmarks of keto is:   The Lack of Hungry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXRz3quKzrU
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Merlin:

no side effects  

Doesn't sound like you're not in ketosis, so you're eating carbs from somewhere.  One of the hallmarks of keto is:   The Lack of Hungry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXRz3quKzrU

Definitely in ketosis, I check it regularly and the only veg I eat are usually only once a day and are broccoli,  cauliflower, cabbage, onion, sometimes Brussel sprouts or some green beans.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#48]
In for details, my wife’s Dr put her on it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top