Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2024 7:55:35 PM EDT
The wife and I decided to do some shooting at our home range with our carry guns which we haven't shot in a while.

Anyway, I'm shooting my G26 and about half way through the session something flies back just above my glasses.

I know it wasn't any kind of ricochet because the target was a swinger and we were at 12yds. It literally happened as soon as the shot was fired.

All my Glocks have always thrown the brass back and to the right, but I can only guess it had to be a odd ball throw on a casing because nothing else makes sense.

Anyways, make sure you're wearing eye pro.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
My 1911 always throws brass up toward my head I've learned to always wear a hat with that pistol
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Commando223:
My 1911 always throws brass up toward my head I've learned to always wear a hat with that pistol
View Quote

I'm normally always wearing a ball cap. This was a rare occurrence although IDK if it would've mattered.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
12 yards is damned close to a metal plate, swinger or not.  Are there any divots in your plate?  They will turn a bullet right back at you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:

I'm normally always wearing a ball cap. This was a rare occurrence although IDK if it would've mattered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I find myself wearing a boonie hat a lot now when I'm shooting.

Glad you're OK, brass has a nasty way of finding you no matter what you wear.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad you didnt get hit in the eye OP.

Brass to face was a thing since start of gen 3 and maybe even before that.  They brought out updated ejectors and other attempts to fix it.

Havent been following for a while so dont know if Goock ever resolved it totally or not.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
To be honest, I almost never wear glass when I'm shooting unless it's sunny outside. I should probably start.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By g300d:

Brass to face was a thing since start of gen 3 and maybe even before that.  They brought out updated ejectors and other attempts to fix it.

Havent been following for a while so dont know if Goock ever resolved it totally or not.
View Quote

Reported for racism.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Mindless:
12 yards is damned close to a metal plate, swinger or not.  Are there any divots in your plate?  They will turn a bullet right back at you.
View Quote
Yep. Seen plenty of brass burn injuries. Never seen a brass impact injury from an ejection.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:03:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: downrivertrash] [#9]
1911 throwing brass to your face or head is an extractor issue.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
That does not look like it came ejected brass.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By pr24guy:
View Quote

Agreed, looks like ricochet. I've had one too, off a berm, not even steel. Bullets can do weird things and glasses are important.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Agree, looks more like a ricochet. I had a 9mm come back and hit me right in the cheek. Looked similar to yours.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

IDK what it was, I can only speculate.

What I do know is that I've occasionally been hit by jackets although very rarely, and that this happened as soon as the shot went off.

Way too fast for a jacket or ricochet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#14]
My Glock 30 will roll the brass from every fourth round off of my hat brim. I've got a nice little scar where I got some brass stuck between the bottom of my brim and the top of my shooting glasses.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Your target media is steel, fired from 12 yds away with a relatively low velocity projectile.  Sounds like a ricochet to me since steel targets are famous for it.

There’s a reason most military ranges require eye protection.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mindless:
View Quote

I normally shoot as close as 7yds without incident.

And shooting 3/8" AR500 with 9mm isn't leaving any divots.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#17]
That was a close call.  I had a spent .45 acp cartridge ejected into my forehead years ago that broke the skin and left a pretty nice bruise and knot.  I would have never dreamed spent brass hit that hard until then, so I’ve always worn a cap and safety glasses ever since.  Fragments bouncing back from a steel target are bound to be even worse.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#18]

What I do know is that I've occasionally been hit by jackets although very rarely, and that this happened as soon as the shot went off.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By downrivertrash:

View Quote

Yep it's a sure sign that extractor tension is wrong.

OP got hit by a ricochet, though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad you are okay. Looks like it knocked your hair off though .
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Gen 4 Glock?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#22]
You know, eye pro is great and all, but one time I was shooting my AR seated at an indoor place and a spent steel case bounced off the wall and landed between my eyeball and my glasses. Took a minute to fish that one out, didn't feel great
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#23]
whatever came back from the target might still be under the skin OP.  I got bit once in the cheek and hit a couple times in the jeans.  the one in the cheek bled a little bit,  about the same as getting a tiny nick from a really sharp knife.  yours looks more like a puncture.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green_Canoe] [#24]

View Quote

At 12 yards the ricochet will get there about fast as the ejected brass.

Pistol cycle time about 50 ms plus the time of flight for the brass

If your mV is 1150 fps and the spall returns at 1/2 the starting velocity the ricochet fire to hit time is 90 ms.  I doubt you can detect 40 ms when you aren't even trying to observe it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Swingers can produce ricochets. I have a scar from one.

Upgrayedd to static hangars. Game changers for safety.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CenterMass762:
To be honest, I almost never wear glass when I'm shooting unless it's sunny outside. I should probably start.
View Quote

I've seen multiple people take splash back over the years. It never looks fun, and they probably need the hospital to remove the lead/copper from them. One guy was hit just above the eye and bled pretty well for what it was. I'm always wearing some type of glasses while shooting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm glad you're ok!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Picture of target and setup?  

Curious of there are pock mocks on your steel, and how free swinging and it's angle.  In general it's supposed to be smooth-flat and secured in a manner that it's hanging like from a chain, so will move - and the chain attached to a bolt in the back so as to angle down a bit.  What everyone actually does is "it's fine, those pockmarks are really shallow".
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Back in my 11B days I remember a kid getting hit in the eye from a piece of brass off of an M-60. He was an inexperienced AG and went prone next to the gunner ON THE WRONG SIDE of the weapon. Gunner was only paying attention to what he was shooting at and cut loose. Private snuffy had no lasting injury but managed to get an LOD out of it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:03:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#30]
I find it's either ammo or grip. I can cause it by holding the gun a certain way.

It can sting a little, I've had it break skin before.

It would be ridiculous to shoot without steel with pistols and no eye pro. It's not common, but even with a good steel set up there is a chance you could eat some jacket. I had a decent size piece slap me in the throat earlier this year. No big deal with a little scratch on the neck. Wouldn't want that same scratch on my eyes
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Glad you're ok OP!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Just because you put your steel at the minimum recommended distance does not make it 100% safe, it just minimizes the chance of having an injury.  

Some pistols also love to blast grit and crud out the back when firing, my 1911’s for example are a lot more likely to do it, depends on the ammo/powder as well.  

But I agree that the size of that looks like a ricochet of a piece of jacket or core piece off the target most likely.

A hat is good, but I have also had a hat brim deflect a casing from a student’s gun down and behind my safety glasses (not cool!).

I recall instructing at one particular range with an older style sloped steel backstop, no matter where I was standing, I ended up getting cut by frag on my face at some point every single training session.  (And the ventilation also sucked- hated that place).

Shoot steel targets enough and you will get plenty of minor frag injuries.  It is the bigger frag or full bullet returns that you need to avoid.  

But yeah - wear your safety glasses.  Prescriptions don’t cover as much.  Good to have a dedicated set of prescription safety glasses if you can afford it.  I get so tired of people posting photos and videos of themselves shooting with no eye protection.  We have had two different threads in a week or so about members having a gun blow up, so it can indeed happen to you…
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#33]
You say you rarely shoot these pistols, so how old is the ammo, and how was it stored?

I once shot some old (>10 yo) 9mm that had become contaminated with WD40. I think it seeped into the case and mixed into the powder. The rounds sounded 'funny' and I got some kind of debris spit back in my face. Felt like sand. Yes I wore eye protection. Only fired 2 rounds, then discarded the rest of those.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

I always take the opportunity on these threads to reinforce the importance of eye pro. Here’s a picture of a blunt trauma eye injury with hyphema (blood in the anterior chamber). I have far more hideous pics but this is the type of thing that happens of something that’s not moving fast enough or sharp enough to penetrate does. These usually resolve well but a decent number of them end up with retinal damage as well. It’s quite common to develop glaucoma in the injured eye decades latter.

So I’ll beat the dead horse again and stress eye protection
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Reported for racism.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By g300d:

Reported for racism.

I see it
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Holy sh*t.  Glad the Mk 1 eyeball is OK.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:05:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I was shooting my Garand at Talladega and it was hot as hell so I took off my ball cap, not one clip later a hot brass lands between my glasses and eyelid. I had a nice red mark there for about a week.

Since then I always wear a hat.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Looks like steel spawl to me. You should angle your steel downwards to help mitigate this.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Ouch - still not as bad as hot brass to the boobies.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By downrivertrash:

View Quote

It is with a Glock, too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#43]
That’s not from brass.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#44]
I have swinging plates that are also angled.  

I stack washers between the back of the plate and the chain, as to cause the plates to tilt a good bit.

I also try and stick to lead, coated, or plated bullets on the closer targets.

I had some splash from a plated 44 mag bullet come back and hit my cheek from about 25-30 yards, didn't break the skin but got my attention.

It seemed to occur quite quickly, like I felt like I was still pulling the trigger when it came back.

I always preach the eye pro, particularly when there are kids around.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Have your wife lend you some pussy creme you'll be fine!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

Agreed, looks like ricochet. I've had one too, off a berm, not even steel. Bullets can do weird things and glasses are important.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

I've had splatter from steel targets at a pistol match come through my jeans and break the skin on my leg.

If you look at the wood barriers between the stages, they are shredded from thousands of rounds of bullet fragments hitting them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By nvgeologist:
Correct.

All of my personal range pistol steel is going to be static mounts, both fixed plates and reactive targets.

Hanging is fine for distance.
View Quote

Like t post or what's a good system?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Done it with a G20 shooting Triton stuff during a match (using up older ammo)....took the burn, and finished the stage like a boss.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nvgeologist] [#49]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Update,  I went out today and looked around the casings where we were shooting yesterday and think I found the culprit. It was the only piece of jacket anywhere around where we were standing, and it was exactly below where we were standing.

Next to a 22LR for scale.

Attachment Attached File

And the target since a couple folks asked...

Attachment Attached File

A couple of thoughts thinking back on it, I'm 99.9% sure I was taking head shots when this happened. When making hits on the head part of the target it will ever so slightly tilt back sending anything that might come back, at the shooter. Anything from the shoulders down goes into the dirt.

Secondly, I always normally stand just to the left or right of the target. Yesterday we were as squared up to it as you could be. It had been quite a while since I/we shot and I just wasn't thinking.

Anyway wear your eye pro. A few centimeters lower and I'd have at a minimum likely been in the ER.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top