Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2024 12:30:31 AM EDT
And, this administration is going to help pay for it??

https://apnews.com/article/michigan-nuclear-plant-federal-loan-cbafb1aad2402ecf7393d763a732c4f8

The federal government will provide a $1.5 billion loan to restart a nuclear power plant in southwestern Michigan, officials announced Wednesday.

Holtec International acquired the 800-megawatt Palisades plant in 2022 with plans to dismantle it. But now the emphasis is on restarting it by late 2025, following support from the state of Michigan and the Biden administration.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said it would be the first nuclear power plant to be reopened in the U.S.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes, hands get forced.

The renewable scam is coming up. They’ll be on the next scam soon.  Don’t worry. Probably be AI related.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]
50/50.

I might actually be willing to bet against it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Dems create a crisis so they can be the saviors.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Fuck gretchin the chin

That cunt couldn't open her legs enough to create any steam.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
50/50.

View Quote
there's a reddit forum I found this on.

It sounds like they have a lot of shit to replace to make this one viable.

I was more remarking that they actually believe nrc will sign off on this and USG is loaning them money. Are they just taking the money and running? Rest of the article was suspiciously optimistic about nuke generation.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:39:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OldArtilleryman] [#6]
Yes, it's happening. It's only 9 miles down the beach from where I sit, within the 10-mile Protective Action Zone. Not to worry--prevailing west winds. Its said to have about 9 years remaining on its current license with option to apply for extension.
One benefit is that the company will print nice calendars each year for us that include various protective actions of which we're required to be informed. Still have our KI (potassium iodide) tablets.
We'll see if they eventually fire it up, as this process is said (by men I know who work there) to be an 18 - 24 month prospect.
Stand by...but don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Mi needs the power. The big utilities need to be bitch slapped from doing the rate increase surcharge daily in the summer [50% higher] but since they are stupid bitches that are libs, they applaud fvcking over the customers for green shit that doesn't work. [and they [utilities] don't even run 1/2 their windmills on peak power use days most of the time.

All that green stuff is a total scam for rate customers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:08:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GoGo] [#8]
DTE Fermi 2 site was approved a couple years ago for a new plant, but DTE refuses to do anything.  Yeah, I know cost, etc.

I hope this does get re-started and even more so this green energy scam dies.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:13:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cardboardkiller] [#9]
I know some Framatome guys from the Lynchburg office that are headed up to Palisades in the next week or so to do some inspections.

I was there working on their forced outage for CRDM cracking during 9/11. Shit got weird.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GoGo:
DTE Fermi 2 site was approved a couple years ago for a new plant, but DTE refuses to do anything.  Yeah, I know cost, etc.

I hope this does get re-started and even more so this green energy scam dies.
View Quote

Yup, Don't hold your breath waiting on that to happen..... Fermi II is going to need the extra capacity and they have the space. AFAIK, all the coal plants are closing. When votes have consequences.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Mi needs the power. The big utilities need to be bitch slapped from doing the rate increase surcharge daily in the summer [50% higher] but since they are stupid bitches that are libs, they applaud fvcking over the customers for green shit that doesn't work. [and they [utilities] don't even run 1/2 their windmills on peak power use days most of the time.

View Quote

Michigan really isn't into the Green Energy like Texas (34%) or Washington (25%) with Michigan at just 4% tying it with Nebraska, Montana and a few others in the middle of the pack.

Biden's home state of Delaware is 0%, the only state claiming no renewables.

Renewable Energy by State
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:22:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#12]
Way too many systems that have been drained or mothballed, surveillance procedures that have been discontinued. Water chemistry, except for the spent fuel cooling, probably has not been kept up, and the inside of secondary piping rusting.

If the main turbine hasn’t been on a turning gear, then the shaft could be bowed and turbine blades touching the turbine shell distorting them.

Just thinking how many times Bellefonte was promised by the government to be finished and started.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Question for anyone who is a nuke plant expert, Internet or in real life... How long would it take to build a modern, proven design (French, Japanese, whatever) nuke plant safely if all the politics* removed?

*Long wait times for licensing, local bitching, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#14]
55 year old Nine Mile Point and Ginna are still chugging along in upstate NY, plants can go a long time with maintenance. We have a some friends that work at Ginna.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Lift the reprocessing ban(thanks Carter!), build next gen Reactors, use processed waste….

Profit!

Idiots in charge, they are…
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:43:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#16]
Originally Posted By Paul:

Michigan really isn't into the Green Energy like Texas (34%) or Washington (25%) with Michigan at just 4% tying it with Nebraska, Montana and a few others in the middle of the pack.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paul:

The coal plants that have been shuit down in Mi without thought of where actual base load electric is going to come from is one of the dumbest things both the state and utilities [and the fed govt morans] have done. Solar, wind and whatever else green bullshit ideas come out are not A base load source. PERIOD. They NEVER will be unless we learn to control wind and weather and can turn off the night.

The ONE green energy source that works is water and dam's and the assholes are now working to shut those down and dismantle them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Michigan has too many overcast days, and days with no wind to expect any of their green shit to produce a viable source of electricity.  And DTE just announced another rate hike request of a half billion.  Something like 10-15 dollars a month increase on average.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MetalChef:
Lift the reprocessing ban(thanks Carter!), build next gen Reactors, use processed waste….

Profit!

View Quote

The Navy has been reprocessing spent fuel since the 1960's, so there is not an issue with the technology, it's more of an issue of cost effectiveness.  New fuel is a relatively low cost line item when you look at the total cost of operating a commercial nuclear power plant.

In reality, reprocessing it's no longer a Jimmy Carter issue any more than crazies in the street today are Regan's fault.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#19]

I wish them luck in re-starting the plant.

I spent almost 5 years at the San Onofre Nuclear  Generation Station in southern California.

Great  well-paying job. Great benefits.
And a premier surf spot a mile up the beach.

Problem was....steam generators were replaced, they had problems with them, and then they eventually closed the plant in June 2013.

Talk about a cluster fuck for the energy grid
in Socal !!

The shameful joy I feel towards that whole situation makes me giggle with every mandatory energy cut back they have to deal with.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#20]
It's laughable that it's even considered to restart a 53 year old plant rather than opening new ones.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:22:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WrightP] [#21]
I'm pretty sure the restart is going to happen. I work for a company that does vibration monitoring and we are bidding to update the existing 1970's equipment now. Also, our sister company(Rueter Stokes) that does a lot of nuclear monitoring is well off into their upgrade of the system as well.

We are currently bidding on parts of the two new Small Modular Reactors that Holtec is currently looking at building at the same site.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
there's a reddit forum I found this on.

It sounds like they have a lot of shit to replace to make this one viable.

I was more remarking that they actually believe nrc will sign off on this and USG is loaning them money. Are they just taking the money and running? Rest of the article was suspiciously optimistic about nuke generation.
View Quote

Yeah the NCR currently doesn't have a regulatory framework to bring a nuke plant back from the dead. So they have to build that. The government. Hahaha

The plant itself yes will have to catch up on everything they stopped doing before shutdown. That will be a tremendous number of things. They will have to catch up on any required and necessary upgrades.

Big lift. I wish them luck, it'll be historic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#23]
They have to get the power from somewhere. The Rockport Indiana AEP coal fired power plant is shutting down in 2028. It has two 1,300 MW generators. It supplies Northern Indiana and Southern Michigan. The war on coal is claiming another one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I (heart) my off grid cabin up north and can’t wait to retire up there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#25]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:

The Navy has been reprocessing spent fuel since the 1960's, so there is not an issue with the technology, it's more of an issue of cost effectiveness.  New fuel is a relatively low cost line item when you look at the total cost of operating a commercial nuclear power plant.

In reality, reprocessing it's no longer a Jimmy Carter issue any more than crazies in the street today are Regan's fault.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MetalChef:

Profit!

The roadblock to reprocessing is the shipment of spent fuel across country. Many communities and tree hugger activists will not allow it. That is why each plant has fuel in special built dry storage areas , when the pools are full or do not have space for a full core offload and replacement fuel. And due to the government promise of Yucca Mountain storage taken away, each year the power companies sue the government for operating expense reimbursement of the individual dry storage facilities.

Not knowing the safety analysis of the plant, there are always upgrades required form world experience from nuclear accidents. Most plants on salt water coastlines had to upgrade flooding and tidal surge safety after Fukushima. Do not know if a plant on the Great Lakes would have the same concern. If so, another chunk of money.

Holtec International is a multi function company. One of those functions is decommissioning of nuclear plants. The purchase of Pallasades by them was probably for that function, as the money for the decommissioning fund of a nuclear plant can be $500 million or more. If the government is willing to throw money at the plant to get it running, Holtec still has dibs on the decommissioning bank account for down the road.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I live in Michigan.  It is a money scam.  But Gretchen, go figure.  Hahaha!  Fie on the (R) for electing her because they would not allow legal weed.  They knew it was a forgone conclusion yet stood on principle.  They lost both the battle and the war.  Recreational marijuana is what elected Gretchen Whitmer.  Oh, and let's not forget our state attorney Dana Nessel who should be in prison.

Yet, I can respect people who stand on principle, like Christians.  Sometimes it sucks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Max429:
Michigan has too many overcast days
View Quote

Michigan is the cloudiest state in the entire USofA.  I think it has to do with us surrounded by lakes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By wmagrush:

The roadblock to reprocessing is the shipment of spent fuel across country. Many communities and tree hugger activists will not allow it. That is why each plant has fuel in special built dry storage areas , when the pools are full or do not have space for a full core offload and replacement fuel. And due to the government promise of Yucca Mountain storage taken away, each year the power companies sue the government for operating expense reimbursement of the individual dry storage facilities.

Not knowing the safety analysis of the plant, there are always upgrades required form world experience from nuclear accidents. Most plants on salt water coastlines had to upgrade flooding and tidal surge safety after Fukushima. Do not know if a plant on the Great Lakes would have the same concern. If so, another chunk of money.

Holtec International is a multi function company. One of those functions is decommissioning of nuclear plants. The purchase of Pallasades by them was probably for that function, as the money for the decommissioning fund of a nuclear plant can be $500 million or more. If the government is willing to throw money at the plant to get it running, Holtec still has dibs on the decommissioning bank account for down the road.

View Quote

I wouldn't have thought that spent fuel shipment is the reason behind ISFSI.  IMO, it's more about a repository not being available.  It's a circular problem with one issue feeding the other.  We ship spent fuel across the county all the time.  Are there issues with off-site storage at a reprocessing facility, yes, absolutely, but I don't believe that is the main issue.  Sit at a table with NRC regional inspectors and ask why we don't reprocess spent commercial fuel in the U.S., and they will, in unison, say "proliferation".
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#29]
BUILD NUKES! BUILD NUKES! BUILD NUKES! BUILD NUKES!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#30]
For all the anti-nuke types:  This plant has been in operation since 1973 until May 2022.

From Wiki (emphasis added):

"Spent fuel is stored outdoors in 21 16-foot-tall (4.9 m) storage casks, each containing 30 tons and resting on a concrete pad."

Almost 50 years of producing electricity - and that's all the waste it's produced (less any still in the cooling pools).

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#31]
New fourth gen nuke plants will be cheap and safe.  They are cookie-cutter designs and do not require years and years of approval.  Kind of like modular homes.  Several companies have designed them including Rolls Royce, believe it or not.  We can place mini-reactors around where ever we want them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Nuclear is the only viable "green" energy.  Despite environmentalists forcing solar and wind down our throats, there are very few places on earth where the conditions for the generation of that energy is close enough to the population center that requires it.  It only works on a small scale, and even that is debatable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By OldArtilleryman:
Yes, it's happening. It's only 9 miles down the beach from where I sit, within the 10-mile Protective Action Zone. Not to worry--prevailing west winds. Its said to have about 9 years remaining on its current license with option to apply for extension.
One benefit is that the company will print nice calendars each year for us that include various protective actions of which we're required to be informed. Still have our KI (potassium iodide) tablets.
We'll see if they eventually fire it up, as this process is said (by men I know who work there) to be an 18 - 24 month prospect.
Stand by...but don't hold your breath.
View Quote

Shoot man you are right near me. Most of our work is in South haven. Give me a shout by p.m. if you ever want to get out to the range. I have private land.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Michigian Holds Out Holtec's Nuclear Ambitions
While California’s ongoing battle to close down the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Generating Plant and the realization that that couldn’t happen while California still needed that 2.5 GW of power has gotten the lion’s share of the media coverage, Michigan is the site of potentially more important news -- the first reopening of a previously shuttered nuclear power plant.

Back in Q2 2023, Holtec International, a company known for dismantling shuttered nuclear power plants, announced that they were looking to restart one of their more recent acquisitions, the Palisades Nuclear Generating Station.

The nuclear plant was commissioned at the end of 1971 and had been “permanently” shut down in May of 2022, with its operator no longer considering plant operation financially viable.

Holtec purchased the plant in June of 2022 and immediately applied for funds to reopen the facility. Within two months, that request for funding had been denied.

In September of last year, Holtec was able to sign two muilti-decade purchase agreements for power from the 800 MW plant with Wolverine Power Cooperative, a not-for-profit energy provider serving rural communities across Michigan, who agreed to purchase up to two-thirds of the plant’s power output; and Bloomington, Indiana-based cooperative Hoosier Energy, purchasing the rest.

Just getting the contract signed didn’t seem to be enough to get the company funding to restart the plant, and with the support of Michigan’s Governor Gretchen Whitmer, Holtec was able to get $150 million in state funding to keep its efforts to reopen the plant alive.

It's All About the Benjamins
But for an area such as Michigan with a need for additional power, good news was on the horizon. In early February it was announced that the federal government was expected to approve a $1.5 billion loan to restart the Holtec nuclear plant.

Holtec spokesman Nick Culp, on the importance of hitting government goals for clean energy, told Bloomberg News, “Palisades and nuclear power plants like it are essential to achieving those target goals, while also making sure that we have a reliable electricity that all of us depend on.”

While there are few facilities taken offline as recently as Palisades, there are dozens of previously NRC-approved locations for new nuclear facilities that were never further developed due to costs and a lack of perceived need.

Many of those locations are for additional reactors co-located with existing nuclear power plants. The fact that the locations are approved means that a significant part of the pre-construction process for any commercial nuclear facility has already been addressed.

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:02:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunner226] [#35]
I have no doubt they'll open it. It will probably take right around 3 to 4 years. Imagine the benefit of being a 2028 presidential candidate who can say, "As important as it is, I recognized the realistic limitations of green energy, which is why I worked to   be the first to re-open a nuclear plant in the history of this great nation!" Look how moderate she is!

Plus, she'll mention that she supported abortion and weed, and her Republican opponent might not, and that alone will be enough to get half the conservatives to vote for her.

ETA: she'll also have the "girl power" team of Energy Secretary Granholm - also a former Michigan Governor. Look what they'll be able to do together!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:03:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#36]
Shit, I wish they'd expand the plant for more energy output! More capacity! Give us those sweet sweet gigawatts.

This is basically where we're at though with nuclear power. The government is going to have to make up a large fraction of the up front costs on nuclear power because the private sector has no interest in putting money into it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#37]
They're not looking at restarting the existing reactor, Holtec wants to build a SMR (Small Modular Reactor) on the site.

I'll believe it when I see the operating licence.....
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#38]

I wouldn't have thought that spent fuel shipment is the reason behind ISFSI.  IMO, it's more about a repository not being available.  It's a circular problem with one issue feeding the other.  We ship spent fuel across the county all the time.  Are there issues with off-site storage at a reprocessing facility, yes, absolutely, but I don't believe that is the main issue.  Sit at a table with NRC regional inspectors and ask why we don't reprocess spent commercial fuel in the U.S., and they will, in unison, say "proliferation".
View All Quotes

My recent discussions with NRC indicate they are not only okay with it, they are curiously expecting someone to start.  There are at least two companies actively pursuing reprocessing.  Something has changed in the political landscape.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Way too many systems that have been drained or mothballed, surveillance procedures that have been discontinued. Water chemistry, except for the spent fuel cooling, probably has not been kept up, and the inside of secondary piping rusting.

If the main turbine hasn't been on a turning gear, then the shaft could be bowed and turbine blades touching the turbine shell distorting them.

Just thinking how many times Bellefonte was promised by the government to be finished and started.
View Quote

Exactly.  This is a 50+ year old worn-out nuke plant that will never produce any more electricity.  Ancient technology.

Holtec International purchased the plant in 2022 to scrap it, and sell off the parts.
Now Holtec has figured out how to get $1.5B from Biden administration for the junk.
Holtec is owned by Kris Singh, an Indian guy that has a history of bribing US federal officials to get contracts.
https://www.inquirer.com/business/holtec-tennessee-valley-authority-nj-tax-credit-investigation-20190709.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

The renewable scam is coming up. They’ll be on the next scam soon.  Don’t worry. Probably be AI related.
View Quote

Depending on where in the country renewables are located I don’t think it’s a scam. Hydro wind and solar definitely have their advantages but they simply are not dispatchable as coal or natural gas/hydrogen.

I suspect some people in high places who are anti-coal realize the grid can’t support the coal retirements without bringing more non renewable electrical generation online hence the openness to nuclear energy when nuclear has historically been a dirty word in their sphere…
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe they can re-open Indian Point in Westchester, NY.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 80085:

Depending on where in the country renewables are located I don’t think it’s a scam. Hydro wind and solar definitely have their advantages but they simply are not dispatchable as coal or natural gas/hydrogen.

I suspect some people in high places who are anti-coal realize the grid can’t support the coal retirements without bringing more non renewable electrical generation online hence the openness to nuclear energy when nuclear has historically been a dirty word in their sphere…
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 80085:
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

Presume that the goal is to cause the destabilization of the grids and attendant economic damage. Like popping a suborbital EMP over Kansas, but a trillion times slower and less obvious.

That's why we have the focus on shutting down coal. Strangling nuclear development. Blocking natural gas production wherever possible. Dismantling dams. Claiming solar will replace everything.

It's all a form of next-gen warfare. Defeat your enemy without a single trigger pull.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By PlaysWithAtoms:

My recent discussions with NRC indicate they are not only okay with it, they are curiously expecting someone to start.  There are at least two companies actively pursuing reprocessing.  Something has changed in the political landscape.
View Quote

Interesting.  Wonder if it's actually cost effective given the relatively low cost of raw materials for new fuel.  

Maybe redesign and rebuild GE Morris?  Spent some time there trying to clean up the ever changing witches brew in the tanks.  Was an interesting project.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#44]
Ten to 15 years ago it was the cheap natural gas units that shut down a few nuclear plants. Natural gas killed Kewaunee nuclear. Now natural gas is bad, and expensive to the point some are saying nuclear is a cheaper alternative.

Every change in the wind for energy production is money in someone’s pocket.

Concerning ISFSI, there is a contractor in Texas willing to consolidate all US dry storage in one place, but shipping a 130 ton cask of nuclear fuel is highly politicized by the tree huggers. Our plant has shipped small containers of spent fuel between states when the core loading configuration required it. The shielded containers were smaller and didn’t get the attention of the protesters.

Sounds like Holtec could be another Solyndra boondoggle. Holtec asking for a $7 billion loan from the feds to develop a ‘new’ reactor system at the Palisades site, not restart the existing nuke until recently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holtec_International
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Interesting.  Wonder if it's actually cost effective given the relatively low cost of raw materials for new fuel.  

Maybe redesign and rebuild GE Morris?  Spent some time there trying to clean up the ever changing witches brew in the tanks.  Was an interesting project.
View All Quotes

IMO - it is not even remotely cost effective for LEU plants.  HALEU moves the needle a little closer.

Morris is a cool site.  Kinda sad to see it gutted.  I think the decision to rebuild it would hinge on whether the existing fuel onsite was worth recovering.  Guessing the canyon is not big enough, as the process was undersized from day 1 due to a fatal design flaw.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
How is that possible? I seem to recall the megasite in barnwell that got 90% built out, then it seems like the clinton administration illegalled any kind of sifting through spent fuel for valuables. It stuck out to me, because that's kind of the definition of recycling, yet
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Ten to 15 years ago it was the cheap natural gas units that shut down a few nuclear plants. Natural gas killed Kewaunee nuclear. Now natural gas is bad, and expensive to the point some are saying nuclear is a cheaper alternative.

Every change in the wind for energy production is money in someone’s pocket.

Concerning ISFSI, there is a contractor in Texas willing to consolidate all US dry storage in one place, but shipping a 130 ton cask of nuclear fuel is highly politicized by the tree huggers. Our plant has shipped small containers of spent fuel between states when the core loading configuration required it. The shielded containers were smaller and didn’t get the attention of the protesters.

Sounds like Holtec could be another Solyndra boondoggle. Holtec asking for a $7 billion loan from the feds to develop a ‘new’ reactor system at the Palisades site, not restart the existing nuke until recently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holtec_International
View Quote

It’s not that Natural Gas is bad, it’s that politicians want to make money on it shipping it to Europe where demand is high because of Russia’s fuck-fuck games with Europe.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#48]
How is that possible? I seem to recall the megasite in barnwell that got 90% built out, then it seems like the clinton administration illegalled any kind of sifting through spent fuel for valuables. It stuck out to me, because that's kind of the definition of recycling, yet
View All Quotes

It is not illegal to reprocess.  We can do it right now.  It's just a commercial dead end with the "wet" route and the pyrometallurgical route. As far as who is planning to do it, I can't say (NDAs) but the research is being funded by Uncle Sam.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#49]
This is the stuff that Trump should be talking about.  Everyone agrees that we need more energy and if Dems are willing to approve one, they just gave up a ton of ground in the "environmental" debate.  

Propose new stations and watch the Dems squirm!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
50/50.

View Quote

+1

This just might be another grift scam like Solyndra was.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top