Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Mazda 2024 RX9 (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/26/2024 10:14:45 AM EDT
I'm a 90's kid who always loved the 93-95 RX7.  It was phenominal.  And today I saw these pics:

Attachment Attached File

While it reminds me of the Mercedes AMG Coupe, that's not a bad thing.  If Mazda can bring that to market, with the reliability and performance they used to achieve, I'd have to go test drive one at least.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this getting their turbo straight-6 instead of shitty rotarys?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Try finding anyone who will work on a rotary engine Mazda.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:18:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dyezak] [#3]
Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:
View Quote

Originally Posted By Emoto:
View Quote

Let's be real, it'll probably be electric.  I'm not complaining about that, and if the rotary shows up I'm sure it'll follow their newest rotary patent which is nothing more than a 1 rotor rotary generator to provide mild hybrid/recharge capabilities to the electric drivetrain.  ETA:  Which is actually a REALLY good use for a rotary, as they are rediculously powerful and efficient in a very narrow operating band.  And functioning as a genny means it can always operate in peak efficiency.  

I'd love to have a weekend car that looks like that but has a Tesla Plaid hiding under the hood.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#4]
That is one of the most beautiful cars I've ever laid my eyes on.

I see bits of MB SLS and DB9.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Did the later rotary’s have apex seals that lasted a long time?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:

View Quote

Agreed.  That is stunning
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#7]
At least it's not an egg-shaped crossover. Better than I expected.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:24:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#8]

View Quote

no shit...that car is beautiful...so glad to see that Mazda is bringing sexy back
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FlockaCGulz:
At least it's not an egg-shaped crossover. Better than I expected.
View Quote

My expectations were pretty low given how horrific the rx8 looked.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By midcap:

no shit...that car is beautiful...so glad to see that Mazda is bringing sexy back
View Quote

You know your GF wouldn't fit in that car.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#12]
If it has 4 rotors, I'll buy one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#13]
If it has 4 rotors, I'll buy one.
View Quote

It would probably make more sense for them to put that inline 6 in there they have.

I wonder how much boost that block could handle....hopefully it comes with a forged crank and a closed deck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#14]
2024 RX9?

Are we role playing a fantasy?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

shut your whore mouth. magical doritos are awesome

View Quote

i work on rotaries as do a bunch of my friends

Originally Posted By Gspointer:
Did the later rotary’s have apex seals that lasted a long time?
View Quote

the apex seal myth is overblown, theres more to the engine than just apex seals. a lot of fc/fd issues were from extra boost w/o supporting mods and shitty tunes. the early rx8 issues with the renny motor were mostly due to a crappy ecu flash that didnt inject enough oil, ignorant owners and lack of maintenance

the vison concept has been around for years and hopefully if/when it comes to be if has a 6mt, 3 rotor turbo, rwd and no electric shit
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#16]
That’s pretty hot but they’ll make it an EV or give it an anemic gas engine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#17]
They making it or vaporware?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Calm down. That's a concept car that's been around for at least 5 years
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Gonna be honest, I agree. They nailed this car
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Blasphemy! I remember causing in my folks RX-3 wagon as a youngster. Coolest sounding car I can remember.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By weapons_free:

shut your whore mouth. magical doritos are awesome

i work on rotaries as do a bunch of my friends

the apex seal myth is overblown, theres more to the engine than just apex seals. a lot of fc/fd issues were from extra boost w/o supporting mods and shitty tunes. the early rx8 issues with the renny motor were mostly due to a crappy ecu flash that didnt inject enough oil, ignorant owners and lack of maintenance

the vison concept has been around for years and hopefully if/when it comes to be if has a 6mt, 3 rotor turbo, rwd and no electric shit
View Quote

Ohh fuck off.

The rotary concept is a loser for any real world application. They get shitty mileage, unreliable, and do not have infrastructure to support them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for spreading the fake AI pic OP
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Calm down. That's a concept car that's been around for at least 5 years
View Quote
Yes, that red one is a pic of their 2016 concept lol.

The yellow one if a fake AI generated pic.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

savage.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
They making it or vaporware?
View Quote

Option 2
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#26]
As others noted, its been talked about for YEARS and I believe the current circulating pic of the yellow version are fake / not from Mazda.
The yellow one's design is gorgeous but I won't hold my breath until something actually comes out documented from Mazda.

I would love a nice FD with an all aluminum small LS swap
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#28]
If Mazda makes this, I'll be super happy.

Glad to see Japan picking up the slack when all of the other mfrs are dropping all of their cool ICE/sports cars.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:00:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#29]
The first pic is the RX-Vision, concept design from about a decade ago. It's often shown in these speculative YT and Net articles purporting "The Latest News" or "The New RX-9" or "REVEALED!". . .

The second is a realistic render that been floating around.

So neither are actual Mazda production designs. Cool tho.

Theres been lots of speculation - 3 Rotor, EV or e-Skyativ G I6 variant - maybe Hydrogen is the latest. Rob Dahm's is cool but it ain't getting a 4-Rotor (3 Rotor relates to a patent peeps tie in).  But very little official from Mazda, and nothing indicating. It's been knocking around since before 2018. Low probability it makes production given Mazda's situation.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't forget that mazda has been working on their new 6 for like 8+ years and their diesel failed spectacularly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:03:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#31]
Does it use the Le Mans 787b's R26B 4-Rotor?

I'd even settle for a factory turbo 20B 3-Rotor.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

The first pic is the RX-Vision, concept design from about a decade ago. It's often shown in these speculative YT and Net articles purporting "The Latest News" or "The New RX-9" or "REVEALED!". . .

Theres been lots of speculation - 3 Rotor, EV or e-Skyativ G I6 variant - maybe Hydrogen is the latest.  But very little official from Mazda, and nothing indicating. It's been knocking around since before 2018. Low probability it makes production given Mazda's situation.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:11:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#33]
Don't forget that mazda has been working on their new 6 for like 8+ years and their diesel failed spectacularly.
View Quote

deisel... rotary?

As I recall there's an inherent limitation to the compression mazda's typical dorito-shaped rotar can provide due to the combustion chamber geometry and it falls well below the compression ratio needed for diesel autoignition.  I think it's somewhere like 10:1 theoretical max.  Diesels need like 15:1+ ... closer to 20:1-25:1

Were they using  different shapes than the dorito-rotor in peanut-cavity?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

The rumors all conflict here. RWD on Large Product Platform - like 4 years ago. Latest, Chinese EV based on a Changan Mazda platform.

Doubt it's coming back. Best chance is a EV tying in CDM, EU and the States somehow. There's some indication of the with the 6e trade name registered in EU the online rags have reported last week.

Sales for sedans haven't lit anything on fire, 6 was no different. Did better in China than where the other markets after intro there late in the Gen 3 run,  but it's never been a hit.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

The diesel only failed spectacularly because of the fucking EPA and all the shit diesels have to go through here. The diesel CX5 is just fine in places like Australia.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:24:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: trperic] [#36]
All of you asking if it's going to be a straight 6 or an electric car... you do realize what RX stands for right?

And none of those images are of the actual car anyways
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#38]
I am interested to I see if the Mazda Iconic SP will actually be produced and if it is the next generation of Miata or RX.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By trperic:
All of you asking if it's going to be a straight 6 or an electric car... you do realize what RX stands for right?

And none of those images are of the actual car anyways
View Quote

an rx whatever# without a rotary engine as its main power source is blasphemy. RX=rotary experiment
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

deisel... rotory?

As I recall there's an inherent geometric limitation to the compression mazda's typical dorito-shaped rotar can provide and it falls well below the compression ratio needed for diesel autoignition.  I think it's somewhere like 10:1 theoretical max.  Diesels need like 15:1+ ... closer to 20:1-25:1

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Millennial:

deisel... rotory?

As I recall there's an inherent geometric limitation to the compression mazda's typical dorito-shaped rotar can provide and it falls well below the compression ratio needed for diesel autoignition.  I think it's somewhere like 10:1 theoretical max.  Diesels need like 15:1+ ... closer to 20:1-25:1

Mazda's had two poor program choices in recent years.

Skyactiv-D  (Common Rail TDI, S Series I4s and the new 3.3L I6 mild hybrid States won't see). Low compression design and other emissions centered features created issues.

Skyacitv-X  SPCCI Petrol engine - kinda an HCCI (compression ignition petrol) with a spark plug. Yes exactly. But the promise was increased efficacy and lower emissions. Lots of dev cost, complexity and delivered as a cost option which didn't live up to the efficiency, certainly not proportional to the additional acquisition cost.

Much else could be done with those program costs. Especially for a strapped concern like Mazda who tied in with Toyota to better their prospects.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#41]
I miss my FD everyday
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm all for the resurrection of 90s jap cars.  

The Z is expensive and bland enough that it's not really selling well.
The supra is a bmw in disuise, so the prospect of reliability when they get 10-15 years old is out the window.
The toyota 86 is cheap - the subaru engine is a big downer.  Despite being slow it sells well because it's cheap, small, and fun.  

In addition to the new rx7 there is also talk of a new mr2.  Apparently both are far enough out that there are no details, much less confirmation that they will be built.  

I think there's a good market for a small inexpensive car with modest performance.  
The mr2 would be easy since it's just a new body with an existing transverse drivetrain dropped into the trunk.  
The rx7, if rotary powered, has a lot of up front infrastructure cost to start production of a new rotary engine.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

The supra is a bmw in disuise, so the prospect of reliability when they get 10-15 years old is out the window.
The toyota 86 is cheap - the subaru engine is a big downer.  Despite being slow it sells well because it's cheap, small, and fun.  

In addition to the new rx7 there is also talk of a new mr2.  Apparently both are far enough out that there are no details, much less confirmation that they will be built.  

I think there's a good market for a small inexpensive car with modest performance.  
The mr2 would be easy since it's just a new body with an existing transverse drivetrain dropped into the trunk.  
The rx7, if rotary powered, has a lot of up front infrastructure cost to start production of a new rotary engine.  
View Quote

Mazda has never stopped working on rotary engine development however it's a very small team
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

View Quote

Don't leave out the GR Corolla. Its a true Toyota engine built as a consumer US version of the WRC GR Yaris.

Honda still has the CTR which is selling like hotcakes.

Subaru killed the STI and wants to resurrect it as an EV which is lame and ghey.

This thread makes me want to find an old NB Miata and build a Spec Miata track car. Those races always look like a blast.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#45]
We have two Mazda's right now, my next car will most likely be a CX-90.

That car is beautiful, a nice inline twin turbo 6-cylinder would be a nice fit for it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
Because you dont have to work on a rotary. They are bulletproof. Dare I say, magical even?!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:53:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Earl_Basset] [#47]
Open grill indicates ICE, not EV, I'm sure they'll give it some crazy ass price I won't pay for a new car though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:53:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alacrity] [#48]
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:

The diesel only failed spectacularly because of the fucking EPA and all the shit diesels have to go through here. The diesel CX5 is just fine in places like Australia.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/mazda-3-6-cx-5-recalled/

There were issues and recalls with the Skyactiv-D 2.2 esp, in many markets. Large recall in Japan as well.

The BT-50's offered in many markets with Isuzu's  1.9 TD for obvious reasons.

Sadly the last Mazda Bongo vans are a rebadge as well - Toyota HiAce. But the diesel is really good 1GD FTW

Yet to be seen how the new eSkyactiv-D 3.3L mild hybrid fares.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Beautiful car and I don't say that often.

I drive a cx5 turbo. I'd take take in a 4 or 6 turbo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Theres been lots of speculation - 3 Rotor, EV or e-Skyativ G I6 variant - maybe Hydrogen is the latest. Rob Dahm's is cool but it ain't getting a 4-Rotor (3 Rotor relates to a patent peeps tie in).  But very little official from Mazda, and nothing indicating. It's been knocking around since before 2018. Low probability it makes production given Mazda's situation.

View Quote

That second one is 90% AMG GT with a blown up Miata front end.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Mazda 2024 RX9 (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top