Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2024 10:55:51 AM EDT
I'm going to start looking to buy my 18 y/o son a used RAV4 for high school graduation/will need a car in university purposes.  
I'm looking for something less than 10 years old and have less than 100k miles.  
In my cursory internet search I noticed some models years are considered more reliable than others.  In particular I noticed 2018 and 2021 models are considered very reliable while 2019 is considered one of the least reliable model.
In reality how much difference are there between a "reliable" model and "troublesome" models...is there really a noticeable difference?

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By yobo:
I'm going to start looking to buy my 18 y/o son a used RAV4 for high school graduation/will need a car in university purposes.  
In my cursory internet search I noticed some models years are considered more reliable than others.  In particular I noticed 2018 and 2021 models are considered very reliable while 2019 is considered one of the least reliable model.
In reality how much difference are there between a "reliable" model and "troublesome" models...is there really a noticeable difference?

View Quote

My wife's 2014 Sport is rock solid. We never have any problems with it. It just goes and goes and goes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]

View Quote

The Girlfriend has a 2020 that has been rock solid. Regular oil changes and  no issues in 70k miles.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife’s 2014 Limited AWD is approaching 140k miles and has been flawless. Only requiring standard maintenance like fluid changes and consumables such as wiper blades, tires and brakes. Plus headlight and tail light bulbs. 100% would recommend.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a modern Toyota Rav4, which I think is their best selling model. IDGAF what year it is, it's going got be fine as long as it was reasonably maintained.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a 2010 with 150k , bought it with 120k last year , just put a muffler in it , thats it other than routine maintenance
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By creeper45:
I got a 2010 with 150k , bought it with 120k last year , just put a muffler in it , thats it other than routine maintenance
View Quote

The best thing about that generation of RAVs was the optional V6. It was actually Toyota’s quickest vehicle for a while.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Boomer:
My wife’s 2014 Limited AWD is approaching 140k miles and has been flawless. Only requiring standard maintenance like fluid changes and consumables such as wiper blades, tires and brakes. Plus headlight and tail light bulbs. 100% would recommend.
View Quote

Same with my daughter's 2017.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd suggest looking over this guy's videos, Master Tech for Toyota and extremely knowledgeable:

Should you buy the latest Toyota RAV4 2019-2021?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By coreseller:
I'd suggest looking over this guy's videos, Master Tech for Toyota and extremely knowledgeable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUA2Jw1nKkk
View Quote

I dont even like Toyota and have no interest in them and I still find myself watching his videos
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#10]
ex wife has a 2011 and I have no idea how the fuck that thing is still running with her neglecting it

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:20:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wgjhsafT] [#11]
I had a 2022 as a rental for the last two days.

It was fine.  A bit noisier in the cabin than I expected for a Toyota, but it was fine.  Regular gas non-hybrid and was around 30 MPG on the highway.

My mother's 2009 was sold last year (it was low miles, 85k at the time).  It now has 110k on it and is still going strong.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:

It was fine.  A bit noisier in the cabin than I expected for a Toyota, but it was fine.  Regular gas non-hybrid and was around 30 MPG on the highway.
View Quote

I am sitting in a 2022 rental as I type and have the exact same impression.   I may be on the market.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:23:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Our 2019 XLE Premium has been great, however, it’s a “J” VIN which is very uncommon for a RAV4 in the US.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
if you love him, get him a BMW M3 or M4
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
View Quote

It's not what he wants.
He wants a RAV 4 or Honda CR-V.  He wants the cargo space to haul around his drum set and guitars for gigs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#16]
My 2015 Limited has been flawless!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#17]

It's not what he wants.
He wants a RAV 4 or Honda CR-V.  He wants the cargo space to haul around his drum set and guitars for gigs.
View Quote

Isn't a cr-v a cvt transmission? I dont care for those
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]

It's not what he wants.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's not what he wants.

Smart kid. Prioritizes utility and reliability.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

View Quote

Yes, most newer ones are CVT which is why we are looking at RAV 4
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hobs98:

I bought a 2014 for my wife in 2018, I remember wanting the last year of a non cvt tranny (more like not the first year of cvt). It's been great!!

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#21]

The best thing about that generation of RAVs was the optional V6. It was actually Toyota’s quickest vehicle for a while.
View All Quotes

The last thing you ever wanted to have to work on, though. They crammed those 2GRs in there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HandtoHandWombat:

The last thing you ever wanted to have to work on, though. They crammed those 2GRs in there.
View All Quotes

Yeah, prefer something more basic and easier to take care of maintnamace.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I own a 2010 purchased Brand new to keep as an extra vehicle for my family's use, it has been passed from being an extra vehicle to being my daughters vehicle  now to my son.
128k on the odometer with no issues other than routine maintenance, except the alternator failed 2X. Seems to be an issue with Toyota alternators as i had to replace the alternator on my FJ cruiser 2X also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Polska_Kielbasa:
It's a modern Toyota Rav4, which I think is their best selling model. IDGAF what year it is, it's going got be fine as long as it was reasonably maintained.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#25]

The best thing about that generation of RAVs was the optional V6. It was actually Toyota's quickest vehicle for a while.
View Quote
AKA the MILF rocket.

toyota stopped making those because they (the ravs, not the MILFs) were cutting into highlander sales.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#26]
The 3rd generation rav4 came with an optional 270HP V6 (same engine one of the Lotus, engine is the 2GR-FE, so a bolt on supercharger for it exists). It also has an AWD system with the ability to lock the diff and give front and back 50/50 power for when you get stuck. Engage that and disengage the traction control and you have a very capable vehicle in sticky situations.

A little older, but if you can find one in good condition with low miles it's worth a look.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I don’t think you could go wrong with any year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I used RAV4's for kid mobiles too.  They had their dad first cars as RAV4's and went on to buy their 2nd cars as RAV4's.  They are pretty solid cars.

I don't think you can go wrong unless you just buy a lemon, which I think there are very few RAV4 lemons.  So after 4 of them from 2002 to 2016, I would say just buy one.  They are pretty good vehicles.

You ought to be able to get 200k on one pretty easy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Toyota VINs starting with "1", "4", or "5" represent vehicles assembled in the United States, VINs beginning with "2" indicate vehicles assembled in Canada, and vehicles with VINs beginning with "3" were assembled in Mexico. Vehicles with VINs that start with "J" were produced in Japan.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

You can get a bolt on supercharger because they used the same motor in a Lotus that came supercharged.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Idpapaperoperator:
The 3rd generation rav4 came with an optional 270HP V6 (same engine one of the Lotus, engine is the 2GR-FE, so a bolt on supercharger for it exists). It also has an AWD system with the ability to lock the diff and give front and back 50/50 power for when you get stuck. Engage that and disengage the traction control and you have a very capable vehicle in sticky situations.

A little older, but if you can find one in good condition with low miles it's worth a look.
View Quote

I found one of these in good shape. I'm surprised how much power it has to tow the camper and small fishing boat. It's also a beast in snow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 1911SFOREVER:

I am sitting in a 2022 rental as I type and have the exact same impression.   I may be on the market.
View All Quotes

What did you both think of the touch screen user interface? I'm driving a 2024 RAV4 rental right now and the touch screen UI is beyond retarded.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

If I remember correctly, 2012 was the last year they offered the V6 rav, so they're outside your 10 year window anyway.

I left the Toyota dealer I was at in 2017, so I can't weigh in on the newer Ravs, but the 13-17 (I would assume 2018MY is the same) cars are all solid from what I can remember; it'd be hard to go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#34]

It's not what he wants.
View All Quotes

It's not what he wants.

He is a wise young man.  

(Other than being a drummer....)
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a RAV4 and it was the biggest piece of shit I have ever owned. Some things that happened.

-Transfer case internals disintegrated internally while doing 70 on the freeway. Locking up the rear wheels.

-Transmission computer tried putting the trans in reverse on a city street. It was a known defect.

-Shocks/suspension was blown by 150k. Replaced shocks and a lot of bushings. Car still rode like shit afterwards due to poor quality of Toyota parts.

-Parts in general are poor quality and don’t last.

The only good thing about that car is the AC was fantastic in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Go to car complaints dot com
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By olyman:

I found one of these in good shape. I'm surprised how much power it has to tow the camper and small fishing boat. It's also a beast in snow.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By olyman:
Originally Posted By Idpapaperoperator:

Does great in sand/at the beach. That engine is a beast in that little car. Took me a second to figure out how to turn the traction control on and off. The FWD version has a button, the AWD requires a little extra effort.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#38]
2015 XLE owner. Bought used w 60k miles, now at 135k. I have done my own brakes and most oil changes.  Only thing I have ever had issues with are the radio screen/steering wheel controls dying, then coming back to life randomly.
Mechanically it has been rock solid.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By rno172:
I had a RAV4 and it was the biggest piece of shit I have ever owned. Some things that happened.

-Transfer case internals disintegrated internally while doing 70 on the freeway. Locking up the rear wheels.

-Transmission computer tried putting the trans in reverse on a city street. It was a known defect.

-Shocks/suspension was blown by 150k. Replaced shocks and a lot of bushings. Car still rode like shit afterwards due to poor quality of Toyota parts.

-Parts in general are poor quality and don’t last.

The only good thing about that car is the AC was fantastic in Phoenix.
View Quote

What year?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#40]
2012 le and 4cyl limited

Was a joy as a daily

But snow it sucked

Wanted to get 3 peak tires but I do miss the 30mpg
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Good is the last year of the V6. 2010 I think?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
I don’t think you could go wrong with any year.
View Quote

...except the '98 2wd. I had one, and while reliable, calling it slow doesn’t even come close. Some asshole on a fucking bicycle beat me across an intersection off a green light once. I couldn't fucking wait to get rid of it after that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#44]
My wife has a 2019 RAV4 we bought in 2021 and she is very happy with it. I bought a 2017 Highlander in 2020 and love it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 917-30:

What did you both think of the touch screen user interface? I'm driving a 2024 RAV4 rental right now and the touch screen UI is beyond retarded.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 917-30:

I didn't use it much.  One day rental, Phoenix to Yuma and back.  Plenty of zip, tracks well, good gas mileage, a butt load of storage space.  Toyota reliability.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:03:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eriear] [#46]
Your probably not going to buy one older than an 09 but I’d avoid the 2.4 used up to 2008, there are many reports of that engine being an oil burner due to low friction rings.  09 and up uses the 2.5 which doesn’t have the problem.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I just recently bought a 2012 CRV with 88k.
Test drove the 2016 RAV and it was gutless compared to the
CRV. Just have to deal with the VTEC actuator noise on start.
No big deal..
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Polska_Kielbasa:
View Quote

Theres been issues.  Outside OPs years - and most have been fixed or died by now but the 2AZ-FE had serious oil consumption issues which Toyota fixed if present. The issues with the head bolts in 2AZs were mostly missed but there were some '04 head bolts loosen and strip.

Theres some early run issue with a few transmissions.

The '19 RAV4 get a bad rap because Hybrids and Primes (not regular ICE only) had gas tanks that had reduced capacity - 9-10 gallons. Toyota remedied through recall.

OP much do the "issue" info on the net is based on NHSTA complaints - and not very sophisticated, so not very accurate. Keep in mind the comparusons are normally to other RAV4 MY - not competitors.

Last 10 years you'll be looking at XA40 and XA50. You'll have few issues. Easy enough to avoid '19s, I tend to avoid first model years, but it's an irrational aversion here, unless you want a Hybrid or Prime. Most have been fixed anyway

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:
Our 2019 XLE Premium has been great, however, it's a "J" VIN which is very uncommon for a RAV4 in the US.
View Quote

Unless it's a Prime - then is guaranteed to be made at the TICO plant in Nagakusa.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SaulGoodman:
I just recently bought a 2012 CRV with 88k.
Test drove the 2016 RAV and it was gutless compared to the
CRV. Just have to deal with the VTEC actuator noise on start.
No big deal..
View Quote

Something was off with the RAV then -
they were very similar.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top