Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2024 2:03:25 PM EDT
I’m wanting to get back into photography a bit, but not dive too deep. Back in early 2010s I had an entry level canon rebel and 2 lenses. I thought it was cool and I was somewhat okay at shooting in manual, but it lost its appeal because it was a lot to try and throw in for a backpacking trip or for adventures or outings with friends, so I stopped using it and I think I don’t even have a working battery for it anymore and I’m down to one lens.

Looking at my photo album, I’m not good at remembering to take pictures with my iPhone and I hate shooting with it. I know they are suppose to be pretty capable though. (13 pro). I’m lacking pictures of my younger backpacking adventures with friends, don’t have any pics of some good friends that have moved away, and when my dog passed last year I was wishing I had been better at taking photos of him and all the things I took him to do. I think part of my issue is I like to be in the action and not behind the action, fiddling with iPhone settings or messing with my old dslr.

I was thinking I like some of the point and shoots I’ve briefly looked up like Sony rx100 or fujifilm xv100. But I don’t have a lot of research or any time around them. I’m also thinking of pairing it with a new iPad for light editing and photo storage (probably cloud). Any tips would be great to help in my research. Was thinking somewhere around 1000$ and wanted it to not be cumbersome, something I wouldn’t mind pocketing for travel or throwing in a hunting bag.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Sony A6400 w/ Kit Lens

It's a small camera. Not quite as small as the two you listed. But gives you the option for using interchangeable lenses in the future should you decide to really get into it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 1:00:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#2]
Labrador_Remy: You are non-specific of your budget, but for just overall picture taking, without too much muss & fuss, I would go for a camera in the Sony RX100 line. I have a RX100-7($1,300), and it was expensive, but for me worth every cent. The Sony RX100-3($750) is less expensive models that may satisfy your needs and is still in production. But the drawback is that the Sony menu system is kind of complicated, and takes a bit of work to figure out.

I think the similar Canons have competing models, but they don't have the durability, I had a Canon S100, and it only lasted like 3 years, Canon repair it under warranty, and it later developed the same problem, again. So far my Sony has lasted way over what the S100. BTW when you have to personally pay for camera repair it is better to buy a new one.

Don't know about the Fujifilm cameras, since I have never owned owned, but from what I hear on the grapevine, it is really good optically, don't know about the mechanical issues.

ETA: The phone cams have their place, but the tiny sensor really shows it shortcomings, even though Apple spent enormous amount of develop money on it. I believe the Sony 1-inch sensor has 4X the area of the Iphone sensor, so your photos and videos will improve dramatically especially under less than idea lighting conditions, but you have to remember to bring your camera, whereas you already have your phone with you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 3:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JAFFE] [#3]
I've used a few systems over the decades, and used the X100F for 5.5 years.  Some notes...

Sony RX are 1" type sensors (not sure if that goes all the back to the first).  Fuji are APS-C sensors (larger).  Depending on lighting, exposure, and your output usage, larger sensors can have benefits over smaller sensors.

Loved the X100F, but the fixed prime (35mm FOV) and 24mp sensor was limiting at times.  The X100F had a couple of preset cropping options to simulate a couple longer focal lengths, but jpg only.  The X100 series also have a wide and tele adapter lens you can add to the filter ring to optically change the FOV, but add size and weight to the camera plus having to carry the extra lenses.  Unlike the Leica Q2 and Q3 (28mm FOV), which have a FF sensor with more megapickles (47 and 60) and allow better cropping capability with the crop data associated with the RAW file.  The Leicas are also 4 to 5 times the cost.  By contrast, the RX has a built-in zoom lens.

The X100 series is quite a bit larger and heavier than the RX100 series, the RX will definitely be easier to throw in a pocket while the X100 is more of a strap camera.

The X100 series does not have image stabilization, the RX series does.

Regarding size, depending on your hands and fingers it's possible for cameras to be too small and fiddly.  As I've aged, I have needed larger cameras with better physical controls.  These days I've left Fuji and gone back to Pentax, the cameras just work better with my hands and fingers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Some friends of mine shoot Fujifilm and I started to look into the X100V, but came at a bad time because it was hyped up through social media and they sold fast. A local camera store had the Ricoh GR IIIx in stock and I ended up purchasing that instead after doing some research.

The GR is an awesome camera. Small size makes it easy to carry in pants pockets. Picture quality is great and film simulations are pretty cool. Only downsides are the lack of weather sealing and the auto focus is slow.

Certain situations where I thought the 40mm focal length was too tight, so I bought a GR III to try out the wider 28mm focal length. I thought that would be more versatile because you could always crop the photo and I sold the IIIx, which I now regret.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:01:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#5]
For point and shoot I have this one I'll let go for a good price.   Still has 10 shots left.

Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity.

EBR
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EBR666:
For point and shoot I have this one I'll let go for a good price.   Still has 10 shots left.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231737/IMG_20240111_065411161-3089901.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231737/IMG_20240111_065422005-3089902.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity.

EBR
View Quote
Nope, you are good. I have use instant cameras for my relatives weddings, and the bride was amazed, and very appreciative; those cameras have their places. ETA I would use the open film packs ASAP, because over time, the film looses is light sensitivity(ISO), and your photos will be too dark and no amount of iris adjustment can compensate.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The Sony a6100 is a good option, and the Canon M50 mkii.
Neither are point and shoot cameras, but they’re just as cheap and will produce 100x better images.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sickser66:
The Sony a6100 is a good option, and the Canon M50 mkii.
Neither are point and shoot cameras, but they’re just as cheap and will produce 100x better images.
View Quote

The Canon M series is apparently being discontinued, so there are deals to be had.
The system will continue to function despite Canon bailing on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top