Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 3/5/2024 2:26:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nightstalker32]
Hey guys, looking for any good seafaring/ pirate books.  Currently reading " Take, burn or destroy".
 Already read If a pirate I must be, on stranger tides and pirate latitudes.        Love all of them.   Any recommendations?  I've been on a historical kick recently.  Finished gates of fire for the 5th  or 6th time last month.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:30:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#1]
Aubrey Maturin series.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ske714:
Aubrey Maturin series.
View Quote
Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I read the first 2 of his.  For some reason, I started disliking the follow on ones.   Too slow? Too detailed?   I didn't care much for the land story line.    Do they get better?   Better flow?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:59:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#4]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Beat me to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R2point0:
Originally Posted By ske714:
Aubrey Maturin series.
Beat me to it.

I beat a bunch of people to it.

OP, I know you're looking for reading material, but the Patrick Tull audio books are amazing.

ETA: To your question above, there are parts like that mixed throughout, but they add to the characters, as you start to appropriate as you get in farther.  They never last very long.  Again, I'm sure most will agree that the audio version is the best experience.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton was a good read.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers.  Pirates, at least one historical (that I remember), with a little voodoo thrown in.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scrum] [#7]
Patrick O'Brian (Aubrey–Maturin series from which Master and Commander comes) if you want the era of sail.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GrayMan66:
Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton was a good read.
View Quote

One of the cheesiest books ever written. Pretty sure a middle schooler finished it after Crichton's unfortunate passing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

One of the cheesiest books ever written. Pretty sure a middle schooler finished it after Crichton's unfortunate passing.
View Quote

Tastes vary.  I thought Prey was Crichton's  cheesiest book (because the tech was impossible).  Where's your better recommendation for pirate era historical fiction?
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top