Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2024 4:25:34 PM EDT
A friend of mine has a female who had a litter about 8 weeks ago. The puppies are cute as hell and look like stuffed animals. I was offered one or two up to me.

Never had one and I understand they can be quite the handful and require lots of exercise.

Anyone had one?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:32:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Crazyascanbe] [#1]
If you love something, let it go

If it doesnt come back, it was a husky

I had one and will never in my life own another one.
You really have to love the dog i think.
The woooing too
They talk a lot
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Long time ago. Very energetic and very destructive. You HAVE to spend time training it and being with it. I ended up giving her to a neighbor that had six kids and was moving to a farm.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Not that loyal of a dog. Howl alot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:34:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Honeypot_DMZ] [#4]
They shed like a motherfucker. If you live anywhere south of the north pole expect 3x shedding.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:35:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mazawakhan] [#5]
I hope you like chasing your dog around your neighborhood, the adjoining neighborhood and the neighborhood that adjoins that one. I had one thirty years ago and while they are beautiful dogs I will never own one again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
If you love something, let it go

If it doesnt come back, it was a husky

I had one and will never in my life own another one.
You really have to love the dog i think.
The woooing too
They talk a lot
View Quote

This guy ^ knows what he’s talking about. They also shed…..a lot. If you don’t keep them busy, they will destroy your sofa, and I mean wreck it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#7]
How much property do you have, where do you live and how much time and patience do you have?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]
They are very vocal and expressive dogs.

They can be very stubborn regarding obedience training.

They will very likely never have reliable recall.

They need more exercise than you can give them.  Huskies can run 40 miles in the snow, you can't get them enough exercise.

They blow coat twice a year and the amount of fur that comes off them is startling.  You need a groomer quality blow dryer or air compressor, or spend a couple of weeks grooming them every single day.

As a sled dog in the arctic, which is very very specified work, they excel.  As pets, they're a challenge.  If you aren't an experienced dog handler, I'd pass.  I am an experienced dog handler, and I'd pass.  I've lived with a husky and a malamute, and while they are cool dogs, they aren't anywhere near as rewarding to keep as more established companion breeds.

There's a perfect dog for everyone, and that dog is almost always a golden retriever.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mazawakhan:
I hope you like chasing your dog around your neighborhood, the adjoining neighborhood and the neighborhood that adjoins that one. I had one thirty years ago and while they are beautiful dogs I will never own one again.
View Quote

Then stops in the middle of a fucking swamp after running though a bunch of bulls and all you see is dust waiting for a dead dog.

Nope, gets out of the fuck bull pen, takes a shit, hits the woods and stops in the middle of a fucking green pond.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:41:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#10]
They're a huge pain in the ass. You really need to be an alpha dog with them or they'll do whatever they want. Also +1 that unless you work them you won't be able to give them enough exercise. They are working dogs. They can be your buddy, but they weren't bred for it.

And since you've chosen to hide your location like some fed I can't say if they'll do well in your climate or not.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine looks at me as a slightly less equal partner. She does not consider herself a dog.

Not a great dog to have off leash. As a species they will generally do what they want and that usually does not mean recall. Very much escape artists. We had to get a taller fence once she learned deer were on the other side. Very high prey drive. Cats and chickens are a problem.

I love her and wouldn't mind another one day but only if I have enough fenced land to let her run around. Lots of energy and they will be destructive if left to their own devices. Mine ranges from bored when left alone to having real bad seperation anxiety- both will lead to destruction if left long enough.

She is a very warm and loving dog but very much a handful. A lot I understand get returned to the pound because people didn't do their research like you are doing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Cute lap dogs with minimum impact on lifestyle or cleaning
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I've seen one scale a chain link fence.

You should get one.

They're fun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Honeypot_DMZ:
They shed like a motherfucker. If you live anywhere south of the north pole expect 3x shedding.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Dont get me wrong I love my buddy more than anything in the world, but he can be a complete pain the ass. Luckily he has the run of the backyard so he has something to do, which is chase down and murder every bunny that slips under the fence. Recall is a challenge at the best of times, he gets out and he is going everywhere all at once. He doesnt just love walks, there is very much a need to exercise. He is just now turning 10 and his energy levels are that of a normal medium sized pup.

Also he is going to talk back to you. Like give a command, he's going to look you in the eyes and start to whine, might look away like he didnt hear you etc. Its almost like dealing with a teenage girl with a 4 year olds energy and ADHD.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:50:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#16]
Spend an hour on youtube watching funny Husky videos.

They are the drama queens of the dog world.

I've never come across a more dramatic breed.

And causing drama is like a game for them. They feed off you and specifically do things knowing they're not supposed to.

Girlfriend had one and she worked odd hours so I often took the dog out to pee.

Outside our apartment we had a hallway with tall ceilings with neighbors all around. The husky loved to howl in this hallway because it would echo.

But if I'm taking the dog out at 4am, I don't want the dog howling. So I'm constantly (attempting) to train the dog not to howl in the hallway.

So what does the dog do? Tilts her nose up like she's about to howl, gives me side-eye, and then lets out a super soft howl.

For Huskies it's all about pushing your buttons. They want to get a reaction out of you. Like it's a game to them.

Also, if you don't exercise them enough, they get destructive and pouty. Like they'll sit there and argue with you. Just constant talking.

Try to get them to take a bath? They'll argue with you.

Try to get them to come back inside from the backyard? They'll argue with you.

You name something you need them to do and they don't want to do it? They'll argue with you.

There is no dog on the planet like a Husky.

If you're willing to put the time in, (attempt) to train it, lots of exercise, they can be wonderful dogs with hilarious personalities.

EDIT: Like others have said, they love to escape too. The moment they get away from you, they'll start running. Like it's a game for them to try and find a way to escape your yard.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Their tempertantrums can be pretty epic.

Just watch the claws when they are having one on your bedspread.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Amazingly energetic and destructive.  Self destructive too.   Escape artists.  Remarkably smart, but not in any way which will benefit You.

Heed every warning you get.  The truth is actually worse.  People sugar coat it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Get used to this...

Husky Throws Ultimate Temper Tantrum || ViralHog
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Wife is vet.

She echoed everything already here:

Do not get unless you have a way to get it's energy out.

Do not get if you don't like hair everywhere.

Do not get if you don't like stubborn dogs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Also, this dog competition video is an excellent example of Husky.

This is someone that (attempted to) trained their Husky for the agility contest.

But Husky got to Husky....

(it's hilarious by the way)

‘Lobo’ the Siberian Husky goes off script in the 24 inch class of agility competition | FOX SPORTS

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:13:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yamahawarrior89] [#23]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I've had a few, they all have their own personalities, but for the most part the stereotypes are true.

They've all run off before, the white one like to chase deer but would come back. The other 2 ended up going up to others and they called to return them. They now have gps trackers on them and they haven't run off since .

They have strong prey drives which is often overlooked. I can call them off but it isn't like a retriever or a hunting dog.

The dark red one finds weed really well. And if someone has it on them he will not leave them alone so it is obvious to us. He's found it twice on kids playgrounds including an elementary school which is disheartening. Unfortunately he eats it if he finds it so that takes about 36 hours to recoup from.

The white one was silent, and loved to play with the cows, and hunt the pasture. The dark one screams his head off and is a people person. The blonde one is so calm but loves to run.

They remind me of toddlers with their neediness, and have a ton of energy and always at 100%.

They are terrible watch dogs because they love people, but these 2 reds will scream of someone arrives so you'll know.

I love them and hate them . Remind me of cats in a way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#24]
You'll never win the war against husky hair, only continue to fight it.  Ours is almost 5, we got him as a pup along with a rescue to help expend his energy.   2-3 walks a day and find a treat that they will like enough to come back to you if they escape.  Blue's is cheese, he will sit all day for some boars head cheddar.  He is pretty mellow now, likes his crate and is more loving than our girl.  Doesn't talk a ton but makes a ton of grumbling noises.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Spend a few minutes on YouTube, that will cure you of a desire for a Husky.

They howl and whine throw tantrums and do what the hell they want.  Oh, and they shed and dig everywhere.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#26]
We've had mixes. What I know and heard.

They are escape artists. They will get out of captivity.
They have lots of energy
They shed.
The are killers of small animals. Mine kills whatever gets in his path. Almost killed the neighbors cat. Our dog was on his run neighbors cat miss calculated my dogs range.  
Stubborn
Not sure I'd want a purebred. Although I'm sure there are some that aren't like this.
Beautiful dogs.

I'd do it all over again with mine even though he's a PITA I love him like no other dog I've has.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#27]
They are communists. Get an american one
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zeekh] [#28]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
View Quote

You forgot to put    sarcasm  around you post
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:32:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Smash47] [#29]
Pro tip:
Like most dogs they love car rides. So when one gets loose instead of chasing him all over the neighborhood simply stand next to your and open a car door and call him. He will jump right in every time. Close the door hop in and put the leash on him.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
View Quote

That's mean and you know it  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#31]
We have a hippy farm nearby, stop by (well used to stop by) for fresh vegetables, bread, etc. Pull up one day,  with the husky in the truck, wife goes in to the store I stay out with the dag. I see two hippy chicks looking at the husky and they come out with wife to see her.  They are in love with the dog, and start talking about it’s got a good peaceful inner spirit, then they ask if I’ll let her out and let her commune with their farm animals, I’m like you know that’s a real husky, but they go on about different colored eyes showing its love of other animals… I’m like oh, ok. I let the husky out and she commences to, well go full husky…she starts chasing chickens and grabbing them by their necks and flung them into the air, when the chickens got over a fence, and then went after a goat, grounded it and when she saw another goat, chased that one until it ran into a chicken coup, then went back to the first goat and by that time able to catch and toss her in the truck. We left and the wife checked back a day or two later and I guess a chicken of two didn’t survive and the goats want give milk anymore, which I guess went into the bread and goat soap…so, we found another farm to patronize.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Ours loved going out on the SeaDoo. He was absolutely crazy, but we always had fun with him. He lived to 16. My sweet boy.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Smash47:
Pro tip:
Like most dogs they love car rides. So when one gets loose instead of chasing him all over the neighborhood simply stand next to your and open a car door and call him. He will jump right in every time. Close the door hop in and put the leash on him.
View Quote

Mine is fine with the car, but wont run and jump into one. Though strangely when he gets out the leash and "Lets go on a walk" Get him right to me. Dog logic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Remarkably smart, but not in any way which will benefit You.

View Quote

I love that line, amazing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:50:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#35]
One of the best dogs I ever had was a mal/shepherd mix. Incredibly smart, loyal, actually obeyed very well, she was off leash almost all the time at home and while walking [Well, I was walking] in the woods. Came when called. Was absolutely alpha as hell with other dogs and at 100 pounds [and no fat] she was a big female and could pull it off. LOVED snow, it was the dog equivalent of crack. And oh yes, that girl was more sassy then a dozen females at a feminist rally.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Proof of actually being off leash and not disappearing.

That dog would F you up if it wanted to, had some sketchy looking black guy knock on the door trying to sell some cleaning shit in a bottle. Dumbass wife answered the door and opened it, I wasn't home, she told the guy she wasn't interested and started to close the door. He put his foot in the door to stop it. Scared the hell out of her until she realized liberty had quietly walked into the breezeway and had her lips pulled up looking at the guys throat like a juicy steak. He started screaming ''don't let the dog get me,'' backpedaled off the porch and fell on his ass trying to scoot backwards. Wife said she never had felt so relieved in her life as when the dog had her back.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Huskie or Maligator, hell get both...just kidding..you need to live with, train and work the shit out of them and they talk alot...smart as fuck and will crush a weak lazy owner.  As always YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Needy and demanding dogs.  I would not own one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:03:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I had one years ago. Even with a large fenced yard I struggled to keep him home
.I ended up giving him away after he cost me an impound fee from visiting my asshole neighbors
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#39]
"Fiberian Hufky"
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#40]
The ones that I was around were love bugs (even though they didn't look like love bugs).
But they would run off every chance they got.
Oh - and when you comb them out you could make two more dogs from the fur, they shed A LOT.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Had a mutt from a shelter we were convinced was part husky. Would never STFU. He was a good and loyal dog - and beautiful as well - but he was annoying as all hell.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#42]
My view of them is that they can be runners and the two dog breeds that seem to be in the most altercations at a local dog part are Huskies and pitbulls.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#43]
My parents had one when I was very young and my father told me he would try and run away any chance he got. He eventually gave him away and the new owner that was a family friend told us he ran away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#44]
If you have to ask you aren't prepared.

They almost have more of a cat personality.

I have a lot of dog experience and got a chance to move a Husky across the country. We had a number of "discussions" during the trip.  To this day I am the only person the dog will reliably listen to.

I wouldn't own one, even though I will probably end up with this one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#45]
One word

Lummox

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#46]
If you have to ask, the answer is not only no, but hell no.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Hair everywhere and full of energy...

If it escapes it will come back only when it's damn well good and ready to return.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Ours stays in the backyard just fine, but it's recall sucks even after working with her since we got her. That has caused me to spend a couple hours wandering through the woods after her when she bolted out of the camper door.

Other than the recall and shedding, ours is a decent dog. Not as loyal or loving as a golden would be, but she's decent. Very high prey drive though, and she's claimed at least 5 adult squirrels and a couple babies that ended up passing through the yard.  

She's slowly figuring out how much food she can get from the 1.5YO and is tolerating her more.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:27:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#49]
Loud, destructive, escape masters, friendly with people, often aggressive with smaller animals.

Very cool dogs but not one I would want, mainly due to their rather destructive and free ranging tendencies.

They talk. Which is hilarious.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Had an enormous Malamute. Would get another.

Friend has a husky:

Kills their chickens
Argues about everything
Does not listen

They require a ton of work for shedding and brushing out the coat. Your vacuum will hate you. Better off with a shop vac and some vac bags.

My Mal was an amazing dog and would sit outside without a leash and just lay out with us in the front yard. The only negative was he HATED any vehicle in front of the house. Wouldn't bite, but would let people know their bikes/scooters/cars weren't welcome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top