User Panel

Site Notices
Lone survivor revisited (Page 4 of 6)
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PeepEater:

The original story was that Marcus was captured and beaten before being turned over to the villagers. It's changed a few times over the years.

" In real life, this suspenseful scene never happened. In the book, eight Taliban fighters barged into the room and beat Luttrell, breaking the bones in his wrist. They interrogated him for six hours, but they only threatened to behead him by telling him that they took the heads of his teammates and he was next."

https://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/lone-survivor.php

"When I did get captured, the only thing I held onto was the fact that my teammates were going to come get me, period.”

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2014/06/06/lone-survivor-marcus-luttrells-response-when-asked-if-he-wouldve-wanted-the-u-s-government-to-trade-taliban-prisoners-to-free-him
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:

Understood, thanks for clarifying. This is the first time I’ve heard it too. The axleson situation was never really clearly spoken of. It’s a sad situation and I hope the families find peace and love.

The original story was that Marcus was captured and beaten before being turned over to the villagers. It's changed a few times over the years.

" In real life, this suspenseful scene never happened. In the book, eight Taliban fighters barged into the room and beat Luttrell, breaking the bones in his wrist. They interrogated him for six hours, but they only threatened to behead him by telling him that they took the heads of his teammates and he was next."

https://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/lone-survivor.php

"When I did get captured, the only thing I held onto was the fact that my teammates were going to come get me, period.”

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2014/06/06/lone-survivor-marcus-luttrells-response-when-asked-if-he-wouldve-wanted-the-u-s-government-to-trade-taliban-prisoners-to-free-him

The mission's commander, Lt. Mike Murphy, then made the final decision to let the three goatherds go, obeying the military's ROE (Rules of Engagement). It is certainly possible that the book's ghostwriter, British author Patrick Robinson, who had made a name for himself in part by writing Navy SEAL fiction, could have interpreted the input of each SEAL as a "vote" instead of a discussion. It is also likely that Lt. Murphy would put a lot of value on Luttrell's opinion, given that Luttrell had more combat experience, but in the end, as the mission's commander, the decision was ultimately Murphy's and this is in line with what the movie depicts

Is that accurate about combat experience?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By XNARC:

The mission's commander, Lt. Mike Murphy, then made the final decision to let the three goatherds go, obeying the military's ROE (Rules of Engagement). It is certainly possible that the book's ghostwriter, British author Patrick Robinson, who had made a name for himself in part by writing Navy SEAL fiction, could have interpreted the input of each SEAL as a "vote" instead of a discussion. It is also likely that Lt. Murphy would put a lot of value on Luttrell's opinion, given that Luttrell had more combat experience, but in the end, as the mission's commander, the decision was ultimately Murphy's and this is in line with what the movie depicts

Is that accurate about combat experience?
View Quote

It's absolutely accurate that ground force commander will listen to the experienced guys on the team. It's not different from any other closely knit group dynamic.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The story is a way of covering up a total failure in leadership on many levels.....

Good men died because dudes above them with egos and dreams of climbing the ladder failed to put together a competent plan. Or maybe wouldn't have even known what that was anyway.

Marcus isn't the "bad guy" in all of this, he was lucky enough to live through it. But, now has to bear the burden of continually re-telling the narrative of lies for the rest of his life. All the while living with the memories of his dead teammates and the other men who died trying to save them. All so that his leadership wouldn't lose face and have to answer for the obvious errors in the plan and execution of the mission.

NSW turned the whole thing into a giant recruiting tool, and man did it work.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By scrolledandtabbed:

It's absolutely accurate that ground force commander will listen to the experienced guys on the team. It's not different from any other closely knit group dynamic.
View Quote

Oh yeah, I get that…but curious if Luttrell was the team member with most combat experience?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:05:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wineraner] [#5]
Originally Posted By DvlDog:

I wasn’t really paying attention. It wasn’t some super hot mission that riveted us. I was there for other reasons. I had my own job to do and came and went a few times. Everyone knew they were going up there with shit comms. The Marine radio chief was so uneasy about it he sent CYA emails to his entire chain detailing the conversations with the team regarding what he wanted them to take versus what they wanted to take. The original Marine plan had the Scout/Snipers inserting much, much farther away with other Marines inserting into re-trans sites. They went up there with shit coms BY CHOICE because they were fucking stupid.

People began paying attention when it went sideways and all hell broke loose but even then I can remember not caring too much until the bird got hit. That was the “oh shit” moment that I remember

Edited to add:

Get some kids walkie-talkies.
Turn them on.
Give one to your wife
Get in your car and drive 10mi away.
Get frustrated that your wife doesn’t answer.
Drive home and accuse her of not monitoring the net
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

This gets better.  So, per your last paragraph, were you in or around the TOC when the team declared they'd been compromised, and needed to be extracted?  If so, were the radio calls from the team missed because those nets weren't being monitored?  And only were monitored, and the extraction request received, after receiving information from whoever was on the other end of the team's satellite phone call that the team was calling for help?

All of the above are supposedly claims made in this podcast.

I wasn’t really paying attention. It wasn’t some super hot mission that riveted us. I was there for other reasons. I had my own job to do and came and went a few times. Everyone knew they were going up there with shit comms. The Marine radio chief was so uneasy about it he sent CYA emails to his entire chain detailing the conversations with the team regarding what he wanted them to take versus what they wanted to take. The original Marine plan had the Scout/Snipers inserting much, much farther away with other Marines inserting into re-trans sites. They went up there with shit coms BY CHOICE because they were fucking stupid.

People began paying attention when it went sideways and all hell broke loose but even then I can remember not caring too much until the bird got hit. That was the “oh shit” moment that I remember

Edited to add:

Turn them on.
Give one to your wife

The inability to establish comms during their extraction was due, I had thought, to the team's poor choices as far as radios and redundancy.  Despite being counselled several times on which radios would likely work in their proposed site location, and which would not.

The podcast seems to be claiming the radios worked OK; it was the TOC fucking off that missed their cries for assistance.  Which is a considerably different story.

Aside, and this is borrowing from what I remember Sylvan writing here, about either Wanat or Keating, the issue isn't that a small team got nearly wiped out. That happens, although tragic when it does, of course.  LPs get overrun sometimes.

What turned this into a controversy and bury-everything-with-medals fest, is getting the QRF and 16 special operators blown out of the sky.  That's most definitely not supposed to happen.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]
No clue if this guy is full of BS or has actual insider info.

Lone Survivor and the Failed Operation Red Wings | What Really Happened?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#7]

The inability to establish comms during their extraction was due, I had thought, to the team's poor choices as far as radios and redundancy.  Despite being counselled several times on which radios would likely work in their proposed site location, and which would not.

The podcast seems to be claiming the radios worked OK; it was the TOC fucking off that missed their cries for assistance.  Which is a considerably different story.

Aside, and this is borrowing from what I remember Sylvan writing here, about either Wanat or Keating, the issue isn't that a small team got nearly wiped out. That happens, although tragic when it does, of course.  LPs get overrun sometimes.

What turned this into a controversy and bury-everything-with-medals fest, is getting the QRF and 16 special operators blown out of the sky.  That's most definitely not supposed to happen.
View Quote

The idea that the TOC monkeys were fucking off and not paying attention is ridiculous and no serious person would suggest it. Anyone pushing that idea doesn't know shit about fuck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

This gets better.  So, per your last paragraph, were you in or around the TOC when the team declared they'd been compromised, and needed to be extracted?  If so, were the radio calls from the team missed because those nets weren't being monitored?  And only were monitored, and the extraction request received, after receiving information from whoever was on the other end of the team's satellite phone call that the team was calling for help?

Edited to add:

Turn them on.
Give one to your wife

If you look hard enough, you might find a post by a team guy on another forum that addresses the radio issues on this op.  I can't find it right now but I've posted it before.  

BLUF, carrying handheld radios and depending on those to do satcom is foolhardy at best.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]

The idea that the TOC monkeys were fucking off and not paying attention is ridiculous and no serious person would suggest it. Anyone pushing that idea doesn't know shit about fuck.
View All Quotes

This.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:55:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CharlieR] [#11]

View Quote

When my unit deployed there we were sold a bill of goods that the PRC-148 MBITR was good for SATCOM.  What we found out in reality was that the MBITR pushed at 5 watts, and was marginal at best.  I personally chewed a patrol leader out after a TIC, several years after ORW, for not communicating.  He was trying to transmit on an MBITR and dint have the power. We put the word out the PL would talk on TACSAT on the -119, a 20 pound beast that was pushing 20 watts, and talk FM to his own dismounts.  We usually bungee corded the 119s into the vehicles. Basically, we made precisely the same mistake and fixed the problem.  As an aside,  I dont know what that radio is they were using in the movie but it isn't either of the two choices discussed.  

I have no doubt, several years prior to our deployment, that the Marines learned the same lesson the hard way, as what people were told and trained on in CONUS wasn't reality.  I am highly highly skeptical that the issue was a TOC guy not at his post.  What Darack said was the issue dovetails precisely with my units experiences with -148s and -119s.  I am sorta curious if they made comms checks, if they had comms, or drove on without.  As in if it didnt work in the TIC it probably never worked. A lack of wattage doesn't just resolve itself due to magic.

Helicopters:

In the Big Army of the 1990s, we trained that the scout helos, OH-58s, would get eyes on the LZ, make the cherry/ice (hot/cold LZ) call, and if necessary, run FA call for fire or direct in AH-64s.  All of this would happen before the UH-60s came in with troops.

Again, according to Darack, in the movie there was a TIC involving AH-64s, and therefore the UH-60 didn't take off. In reality there was no TIC, the AH-64s were in the air, along with the UH-60s, they tried to get the chinook to slow down, the chinook was in a rush, and flew in ahead of the attack aviation.  I am very skeptical that there were any SAM-7s. Far more plausible is that three cells, each with a PKM, RPG, and rifleman or two, maneuvered in an ambush, and a fourth went to the most likely LZ.

There is a tremendous amount of experience that was written down with respect to compromised recon teams that came out of the Vietnam War.  In general, it isn't really sound to insert a team of infantry, QRF, hatchet force, etc, from a helicopter until you have radio/visual confirmation of where the recon team is and where they are going.  If someone is being chased North to South, you would want to insert south, so the team inserted can set up a perimeter or ambush and guide the friendlies in, and not have to fight through the enemy to get to teh friendlies.  Clearly if Luttrell was being chased North to South down the hill, time saved in inserting early would be lost once you realize they are behind Luttrell, and behind the enemy, and have to move slowly as they can get ambushed.  But the situational awareness mist be established first. In an air cav unit, it might be a loach, cobra, pink team, etc.  It might be a FAC or in the case of MACV-SOG, a covey rider, which is a trained former team leader in a fixed wing aircraft.   In conventional units, an OH-58D or AH-64 precedes the assault aviation.   Nowadays, probably a drone or UAV. But in teh air, letting the assets that do it well develop the situation, you can go at 120mph and retain many options. Once you land you are down to 2 mph and you had best be right, as your optiosn dwindle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AzzFaceKillah:

Do you believe that?
It is possible, I'd like not to think that.
Have you ever killed anyone?

I'm only asking, cause I don't believe you have.

I on the other hand.

I ain't happy about it. Just a fact of the matter. I'd take it back if I could.
View Quote

Every Navy SEAL I've ever known would blast an Afghani without even thinking about it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

When my unit deployed there we were sold a bill of good that the PRC-148 MBITR was good for SATCOM.  What we found out in reality was that the MBITR pushed at 5 watts, and was marginal at best.  I personally chewed a patrol leader out after a TIC, several years after ORW, for not communicating.  He was trying to transmit on an MBITR. We put the word out the PL would talk on TACSAT on the -119, a 20 pound beast that was pushing 20 watts, and talk FM to his own dismounts.  We usually bungee corded the 119s into the vehicles. Basically, we made precisely the same mistake and fixed the problem.

I have no doubt, several years prior to our deployment, that the Marines learned the same lesson the hard way, as what people were told and trained on in CONUS wasn't reality.  I am highly highly skeptical that the issue was a TOC guy not at his post.  What Darack said was the issue dovetails precisely with my units experiences with -148s and -119s.  

Helicopters:

In the Big Army of the 1990s, we trained that the scout helos, OH-58s, would get eyes on the LZ, make the cherry/ice (hot/cold LZ) call, and if necessary, run FA call for fire or direct in AH-64s.  All of this would happen before the UH-60s came in with troops.

Again, according to Darack, in the movie there was a TIC involving AH-64s, and therefore the UH-60 didn't take off. In reality there was no TIC, the AH-64s were in the air, along with the UH-60s, they tried to get the chinook to slow down, the chinook was in a rush, and flew in ahead of the attack aviation.  I am very skeptical that there were any SAM-7s. Far more plausible is that three cells, each with a PKM, RPG, and rifleman or two, maneuvered in an ambush, and a fourth went to the most likely LZ.

There is a tremendous amount of experience that was written down with respect to compromised recon teams that came out of the Vietnam War.  In general, it isn't really sound to insert a team of infantry, QRF, hatchet force, etc, from a helicopter until you have radio/visual confirmation of where the recon team is and where they are going.  If someone is being chased North to South, you would want to insert south, so the team inserted can set up a perimeter or ambush and guide the friendlies in, and not have to fight through the enemy to get to teh friendlies.  Clearly if Luttrell was being chased North to South down the hill, time saved in inserting early would be lost once you realize they are behind Luttrell, and behind the enemy, and have to move slowly as they can get ambushed.  But the situational awareness mist be established first. In an air cav unit, it might be a loach, cobra, pink team, etc.  It might be a FAC or in the case of MACV-SOG, a covey rider, which is a trained former team leader in a fixed wing aircraft.   In conventional units, an OH-58D or AH-64 precedes the assault aviation.   Nowadays, probably a drone or UAV. But in teh air, letting the assets that do it well develop the situation, you can go at 120mph and retain many options. Once you land you are down to 2 mph and you had best be right, as your optiosn dwindle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CharlieR:

When my unit deployed there we were sold a bill of good that the PRC-148 MBITR was good for SATCOM.  What we found out in reality was that the MBITR pushed at 5 watts, and was marginal at best.  I personally chewed a patrol leader out after a TIC, several years after ORW, for not communicating.  He was trying to transmit on an MBITR. We put the word out the PL would talk on TACSAT on the -119, a 20 pound beast that was pushing 20 watts, and talk FM to his own dismounts.  We usually bungee corded the 119s into the vehicles. Basically, we made precisely the same mistake and fixed the problem.

I have no doubt, several years prior to our deployment, that the Marines learned the same lesson the hard way, as what people were told and trained on in CONUS wasn't reality.  I am highly highly skeptical that the issue was a TOC guy not at his post.  What Darack said was the issue dovetails precisely with my units experiences with -148s and -119s.  

Helicopters:

MBITRs doing satcom was a long running urban legend in the teams, we continually fought it and tried to get them to bring the 117f as well (obviously any mission a comm guy was on there was no debate about it, they *had* to bring a 117f), but somebody somewhere had sold them a bill of goods about what the radio could do and all they wanted was DM-C125 antennas so they could always have satcom.  It is technically possible to do it with the MBITR, I've done it myself, but the radio was never certified for it, didn't do it correctly, and pushing 5 watts UHF was really never enough to hit the bird reliably.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
 The Major does some officer shit and and yadda yadda yadda… the sailor got an Article 15 from Jocko. You would think Jocko was the villain to hear them talk. I don’t know if I ever spoke to him directly. I can’t even remember if he was the commander when Kyle was un-invited to our S2 meetings for telling ridiculous lies to people who knew better,
View Quote

You can't just leave it at that, do tell.  The Jesse Ventura threads were always a laugh with people defending Kyle.  The made up Superdome sniping and killing carjackers stories were hard for his defenders to explain. Always suspected the bulk of his story was made up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#15]
My limited experience was that radios didn't work well in the Kunar, regardless of whatever wattage they put out. When I was up near Pakistan we had a serious retrans net COP-FOB-COP-FOB and even then reliable comms down the valley were dicey except with a few solutions. A lot of effort was spent to set up satellite shots and then BFT messaging for shots down to J-bad.

I discount the story of the TOC fucking off. It sounds atrocious, but almost certainly didn't happen. I think it's far likelier that as others have stated the radios didn't work. That was the working assumption when I learned about ORW and read some of the SIPR documents about it - the discussion was always that the radios didn't work and rather than abort the team kept going without a solid PACE plan.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

The sad reality its difficult to comment on posts like this because it triggers the fuck out of people. But if you don’t speak up more people will die so it needs to happen. You must speak up.

Service branches should stick to the things that they are good at.

The Navy needs to be focusing on their big ships with lots of air planes, their smaller ships with lots of missiles, subs/strategic nuclear deterrence. And nothing else.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ronin76:
When I read the book (long before the movie was in the works), as I got to the point where the helicopter crew drops the fast rope at the LZ, then the team doglegs to the objective... I had to re-read that part three of four times to make sure was reading it correctly. I know the book was ghostwritten by a non-military type but I have to take it that these were factual.

Marking the point of insertion with the fastrope for the Hadjis was the kind of boot mistake which our experience in Vietnam should have informed them to never do. This was the undoing of the operation. And then the "rescue" team using the SAME LZ was another boot mistake that Vietnam taught us to never do - and they paid for it.

I have heard from a few sources that Navy SEALs (at least until recently) were generally poor at map reading and dog-legging to an objective shows this to be the case.

I'm not happy talking bad about fallen Americans but the lessons learned in Vietnam during the 1960's really should never have been forgotten - having already been paid for in blood. This is on the US Navy command for not remembering.

The sad reality its difficult to comment on posts like this because it triggers the fuck out of people. But if you don’t speak up more people will die so it needs to happen. You must speak up.

The Navy needs to be focusing on their big ships with lots of air planes, their smaller ships with lots of missiles, subs/strategic nuclear deterrence. And nothing else.

One bad op and you want to condemn the whole SEAL community?

How many success stories have they had that you or I never heard about or ever will?

Your reasoning is flawed.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:45:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DvlDog] [#17]
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:

You can't just leave it at that, do tell.  The Jesse Ventura threads were always a laugh with people defending Kyle.  The made up Superdome sniping and killing carjackers stories were hard for his defenders to explain. Always suspected the bulk of his story was made up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:
 The Major does some officer shit and and yadda yadda yadda… the sailor got an Article 15 from Jocko. You would think Jocko was the villain to hear them talk. I don’t know if I ever spoke to him directly. I can’t even remember if he was the commander when Kyle was un-invited to our S2 meetings for telling ridiculous lies to people who knew better,

It was a lot of shit. A cumulative effect. He was the intel liaison for the SEAL det and came to the meetings of all the S2/G2 movers and shakers in TF-Ramadi. Meeting was chaired by a Marine Captain. The room was half Marine, a guy from 3rd ID, A guy from the KS guard, Kyle and sometimes another sailor, occasionally some guys from the police advisor mission, sometimes the FBI dude, and me, a civ at the time. Averaged a dozen people but could surge up to 20 if there was shit going on
 Anyway, Kyle would drop these fucking whoppers in the meeting when sometimes half the fucking room was out there on the op. The one I think that got him sent back across the river was when he claimed he took out 3 insurgents from his rooftop. I fucking snort laughed because I was right fucking below him tearing down an LP and I didnt hear shit. No one fired a fucking shot. The Marines had their helmets off and were playing soccer with kids in the street. A boot Lt and his Plt Sgt were giving out “micro grants” to the business owners, it was chill as fuck and this ding dong claimed he was dropping bad guys and the rest of us missed it.

You gotta remember, in 06, 07, 08. These guys like Jocko and Kyle weren’t famous. They didnt have internet gun nerds touching themselves under the blanket to their pictures and movies and podcasts. They were anonymous nobodies like the rest of us. Now they got movies of their tall tales or are getting an MOH for shit that was their goddamn fault to begin with. Whatever man, fuck it.the wars are over. i feel sorry for motherfuckers that sell their soul for a buck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Josh:

If you look hard enough, you might find a post by a team guy on another forum that addresses the radio issues on this op.  I can't find it right now but I've posted it before.  

BLUF, carrying handheld radios and depending on those to do satcom is foolhardy at best.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Josh:

Edited to add:

Turn them on.
Give one to your wife

We had a member here that went by Wolfdog technologies that may be who you're speaking of.  

Haven't seen anything from him in 10ish years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#20]
This thread is a good read. For you guys in the know, for taking the time to post.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
This thread is a good read. For you guys in the know, thanks for taking the time to post.
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By joker581:

IIRC, in his book he claimed to rack up all of those kills from hide sites that were occupied by other snipers who rarely saw any other targets. His shift would start and they suddenly came out from everywhere, then quit showing up when he left.

It seems very likely that Chris Kyle’s reputation would be a whole lot different if he were alive today.
View Quote

Word is the legend nickname came from him being a legend in his own mind.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Usernames:
Jessica lynch rescue
Pat Tillman
Robert's ridge and John Chapman
Redwings

Some big time propaganda and cover up shit.
View Quote

Beyond a certain point, one has to conclude that if anything the government tells you is true, it's more by happy accident than intent.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#24]

I asked a few years ago how someone could be awarded a Navy Cross based on his own claims, and have two others and an MOH awarded based solely on his account and was told that there is drone footage that is supposed to support it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By greenranger:
I thought to get a MOH it had to be witnessed by more than one person?

I asked a few years ago how someone could be awarded a Navy Cross based on his own claims, and have two others and an MOH awarded based solely on his account and was told that there is drone footage that is supposed to support it.

Footage that they won’t release.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:14:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#25]
Originally Posted By Andoverguns:
The story is a way of covering up a total failure in leadership on many levels.....

Good men died because dudes above them with egos and dreams of climbing the ladder failed to put together a competent plan. Or maybe wouldn't have even known what that was anyway.

Marcus isn't the "bad guy" in all of this, he was lucky enough to live through it. But, now has to bear the burden of continually re-telling the narrative of lies for the rest of his life. All the while living with the memories of his dead teammates and the other men who died trying to save them. All so that his leadership wouldn't lose face and have to answer for the obvious errors in the plan and execution of the mission.

View Quote

It takes a few years but it sounds like all the services were making lemonade of lies from the lemons of the mistakes.

Propaganda, protecting budgets, etc etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

It takes a few years but it sounds like all the services were making lemonade of lies from the lemons of the mistakes.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

It is pretty depressing and goes way beyond whether somebody fought like a lion or ran away.

LCS is a disaster and has been for 20 years, and nobody will ever be held to account.

The way I look at it, I joined to serve, went where my country asked me to go and did the things I was asked to do. I don’t know of anything I ought to be ashamed of.

I’m not going to lie about anything, but I am not responsible for what some politician, or snake oil salesman, in or out of uniform, said then, or now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By XNARC:

Oh yeah, I get that but curious if Luttrell was the team member with most combat experience?
View Quote
The SEAL in the original video that started the thread stated unequivocally that it was Luttrell's first time in combat. He emphasized that at the end when he was telling other SEALs to come forward.
Whether that's correct or not, I don't know. I've never read the book and only watched part of the movie, which struck me as pure and poor Hollywood, regardless of its source material's validity. Ditto plus for American Sniper, where I both read the book and watched the movie. Neither was well done or convincing.

The connective thread among this and several other controversial SEAL specific incidents seems to be that from the 90s on, the Navy saw the SEAL mystique as a valuable "Brand" for recruiting(much like  Top Gun) and this created a downward pressure that resulted in mid level NSW commanders being averse to bad publicity either in individual behavior or mission failure.
Several whistleblower/investigative reporter types point to this mission as the watershed event that became the template for future coverups, naming Semansky as the coverupper-in-chief.

How much of all this is internecine backbiting and jealousy, or profitable exploitation of the conspiracy theory fascination about necessarily top secret events like Special Operations, or pure anger at the prosecution of the GWOT is very hard to say.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By USMCTanker:

How many success stories have they had that you or I never heard about or ever will?

View All Quotes
When I read the book (long before the movie was in the works), as I got to the point where the helicopter crew drops the fast rope at the LZ, then the team doglegs to the objective... I had to re-read that part three of four times to make sure was reading it correctly. I know the book was ghostwritten by a non-military type but I have to take it that these were factual.

Marking the point of insertion with the fastrope for the Hadjis was the kind of boot mistake which our experience in Vietnam should have informed them to never do. This was the undoing of the operation. And then the "rescue" team using the SAME LZ was another boot mistake that Vietnam taught us to never do - and they paid for it.

I have heard from a few sources that Navy SEALs (at least until recently) were generally poor at map reading and dog-legging to an objective shows this to be the case.

I'm not happy talking bad about fallen Americans but the lessons learned in Vietnam during the 1960's really should never have been forgotten - having already been paid for in blood. This is on the US Navy command for not remembering.

I didnt read that post as "condemning the whole community"

More like "This was an avoidable tragedy, which should remind .mil to use special units for missions that use their special skill sets"
vs using the NAVY Seals in a landlocked desert mountain country.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I love reading all the drama. I was on the other side of the country but I remember when this happened. Everyone went ape shit after learning the helo went down. Our air got pulled too. I was just a fresh faced kid.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:

Some people did something really stupid and everybody except one dude, who is mainly responsible for the stupidity, died.  The one dude survived and is made out to be a hero.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Honeypot_DMZ:
2hrs. What's the summary?

Some people did something really stupid and everybody except one dude, who is mainly responsible for the stupidity, died.  The one dude survived and is made out to be a hero.

Wait, how was Luttrel mainly responsible for the stupidity?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Honeypot_DMZ:
2hrs. What's the summary?

Wait, how was Luttrel mainly responsible for the stupidity?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#32]
At the end of the day, all men are just men. That some good men died and some less-good men didn't is a shame.

I have experience in eastern Afghanistan and it shaped me as a man. I have experience with SEALs in other countries that has shown me that they are just men, like anyone else. Men are flawed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

agree

Marcus Luttrell is a man of valor.  period.  no knocks there whatsover IMO.

my only rub is -- he 'allowed' the navy and Hollywood to craft an untrue / sensational version of what happened for public consumption.

there are probably a lot of reasons for that -- many that will never be fully made known.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#34]

It was a lot of shit. A cumulative effect. He was the intel liaison for the SEAL det and came to the meetings of all the S2/G2 movers and shakers in TF-Ramadi. Meeting was chaired by a Marine Captain. The room was half Marine, a guy from 3rd ID, A guy from the KS guard, Kyle and sometimes another sailor, occasionally some guys from the police advisor mission, sometimes the FBI dude, and me, a civ at the time. Averaged a dozen people but could surge up to 20 if there was shit going on
 Anyway, Kyle would drop these fucking whoppers in the meeting when sometimes half the fucking room was out there on the op. The one I think that got him sent back across the river was when he claimed he took out 3 insurgents from his rooftop. I fucking snort laughed because I was right fucking below him tearing down an LP and I didnt hear shit. No one fired a fucking shot. The Marines had their helmets off and were playing soccer with kids in the street. A boot Lt and his Plt Sgt were giving out “micro grants” to the business owners, it was chill as fuck and this ding dong claimed he was dropping bad guys and the rest of us missed it.

You gotta remember, in 06, 07, 08. These guys like Jocko and Kyle weren’t famous. They didnt have internet gun nerds touching themselves under the blanket to their pictures and movies and podcasts. They were anonymous nobodies like the rest of us. Now they got movies of their tall tales or are getting an MOH for shit that was their goddamn fault to begin with. Whatever man, fuck it.the wars are over. i feel sorry for motherfuckers that sell their soul for a buck.
View Quote

thanks for sharing that perspective -- taking the time to post.   any other perspectives on your time there -- i would read with interest.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

agree

my only rub is -- he 'allowed' the navy and Hollywood to craft an untrue / sensational version of what happened for public consumption.

there are probably a lot of reasons for that -- many that will never be fully made known.
View All Quotes

agree

Do you think this is the only mission or operation they crafted an untrue/sensational version of? How often do you think we get told the truth about anything?

They lied about this like they lie about everything.

We like the lies. And they need us to like the lies. Because if we started demanding and getting the truth, they would lose a lot of power.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

We like the lies. And they need us to like the lies. Because if we started demanding and getting the truth, they would lose a lot of power.
View Quote

speak for yourself -- i prefer the truth in all things

in my family / business / (when i was in the Army) / whatever -- i can only make good decisions when i have correct information

(i realize you are using the 'man on the street' for 'we' in a general sense  ...  not us specifically)

and all of what you opine otherwise -- irrelevant to this SPECIFIC case.   ML 'became famous' perpetuating a story he knew was largely fabricated.

i CAN hold him responsible for some of that.  Jessica Lynch for instance has come out VOCALLY saying much of what was reported was totally WRONG.

Has ML ever done that ??   to 'correct the record' so to speak ?  i don't think he has

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By virgilc1984:

More like "This was an avoidable tragedy, which should remind .mil to use special units for missions that use their special skill sets"
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By virgilc1984:

I think it became a matter of “you use what you have”, which is how even USAF PJs ended up conducting DA missions in Iraq.  I don’t think it’s a stretch to expect USAF and USN units to adapt given the overall high quality of the individuals that make it through the pipeline.

DoD wide, there’s only so many operators available, even in an organization as large as the U.S. Army.  The op tempo being what it was (from those I’ve spoken with in the SOCOM community), I can see why the teams and others were tasked out like they were.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#38]

agree

View Quote

You and I interpret valor differently.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:
I love reading all the drama. I was on the other side of the country but I remember when this happened. Everyone went ape shit after learning the helo went down. Our air got pulled too. I was just a fresh faced kid.
View Quote

I was involved in one of the elements that responded to a helo that was shot down. Happened during my 03-04 deployment.  Was looking for it online because I thought the events were rare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aviation_shootdowns_and_accidents_during_the_Iraq_War

Seemed to have happened more frequently than I remembered....

But anyway this is the documentary they made about it.

https://vimeo.com/162677100
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#40]

agree

View Quote

What about if he ran from the fight?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Victory Point has been recommended in this thread and is free on Audible with your account.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GT8GMKX?tag=arfcom00-20

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:46:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: feetpiece] [#42]
Originally Posted By bully13:

View All Quotes

agree

Beltfeds > SPR

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

Beltfeds > SPR

View Quote

Piss poor excuse for ditching his teammates.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:01:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: feetpiece] [#44]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

Beltfeds > SPR

Just like Chapman, we won't know what happened until the predator footage is released.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

don't know about that.  i wasn't there -- nobody here was either.  in any case -- falling back to a more defensible position when outnumbered under heavy fire is always a course of action anyway.  units 'run from a fight' as you say for many reasons.  especially a lightly armed reconnaissance unit.  

Moreover -- here is his Navy Cross citation.  the second highest award a person can earn.

Citation reads :

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism in actions against the enemy while serving in a four-man Special Reconnaissance element with SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team ONE, Naval Special Warfare Task unit, Afghanistan from 27 to 28 June 2005, in the vicinity of Asadabad, Konar Province, Afghanistan. Operating in the middle of an enemy-controlled area, in extremely rugged terrain, his Special Reconnaissance element was tasked with locating a high-level Anti-Coalition Militia leader, in support of a follow-on direct action mission to disrupt enemy activity. On 28 June 2005, the element was spotted by Anti-Coalition Militia sympathizers, who immediately revealed their position to the militia fighters. As a result, the element directly encountered the enemy. Demonstrating exceptional resolve and fully understanding the gravity of the situation and his responsibility to his teammates, the unidentified SEAL fought valiantly against the numerically superior and positionally advantaged enemy force. By his undaunted courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and absolute devotion to his teammates, Petty Officer Luttrell will long be remembered for the role he played in the Global War on Terrorism. Petty Officer Luttrell's courageous and selfless heroism reflected great credit upon him and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

-------------------

so yeah -- i'll stick with :  Marcus Luttrell has valor.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#46]

don't know about that.  i wasn't there -- nobody here was either.  in any case -- falling back to a more defensible position when outnumbered under heavy fire is always a course of action anyway.  units 'run from a fight' as you say for many reasons.  especially a lightly armed reconnaissance unit.  

Moreover -- here is his Navy Cross citation.  the second highest award a person can earn.

Citation reads :

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell, United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism in actions against the enemy while serving in a four-man Special Reconnaissance element with SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team ONE, Naval Special Warfare Task unit, Afghanistan from 27 to 28 June 2005, in the vicinity of Asadabad, Konar Province, Afghanistan. Operating in the middle of an enemy-controlled area, in extremely rugged terrain, his Special Reconnaissance element was tasked with locating a high-level Anti-Coalition Militia leader, in support of a follow-on direct action mission to disrupt enemy activity. On 28 June 2005, the element was spotted by Anti-Coalition Militia sympathizers, who immediately revealed their position to the militia fighters. As a result, the element directly encountered the enemy. Demonstrating exceptional resolve and fully understanding the gravity of the situation and his responsibility to his teammates, the unidentified SEAL fought valiantly against the numerically superior and positionally advantaged enemy force. By his undaunted courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and absolute devotion to his teammates, Petty Officer Luttrell will long be remembered for the role he played in the Global War on Terrorism. Petty Officer Luttrell's courageous and selfless heroism reflected great credit upon him and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

-------------------

View Quote

Throwing medals at something doesn't make it positive.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:

Throwing medals at something doesn't make it positive.
View Quote

I bet Dakota was cool before he was seduced by Palin poon
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Citation reads :

-------------------

View Quote

Anti-coalition militia?

That write up doesn't really say what he did.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Not sure exactly what options he had. I assume he was father down the hill then the rest of the team, hence was able to bail. If so his other option was to head up the hill, and die with whatever remained of his team.

Curious about the claim that another team member was able to survive the ambush and for multiple days afterwards.
Page / 6
Lone survivor revisited (Page 4 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top