Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
How are his bomb making skills?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Ain't mad about it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:39:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#4]
As someone who has done and is doing the rural offf grid cabin thing, he’s more sane that you think. Probably has it better than 90% of GD’s paycheck to paycheck millionaires..

I’ll be retiring in mine, it’s 100% off grid. Solar, fridge, well, it’s at a point we could live there indefinitely and be comfortable-I just need to do the finish carpentry, add septic, and add more wood storage. We even have high speed internet. I was up there this weekend with a friend and had a blast.

You don’t need a suburban dream house to be happy. Stop basing your life on other people’s expectations.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a great life, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous of this guy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I know 3 families living in Yurts here in the foothills of Shenandoah National Park. They’re all crunchy but good families that we enjoy spending time with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
As someone who has done and is doing the rural offf grid cabin thing, he’s more sane that you think. Probably has it better than 90% of GD’s paycheck to paycheck millionaires..

I’ll be retiring in mine, it’s 100% off grid. Solar, fridge, well, it’s at a point we could live there indefinitely and be comfortable-I just need to do the finish carpentry, add septic, and add more wood storage. We even have high speed internet. I was up there this weekend with a friend and had a blast.

You don’t need a suburban dream house to be happy. Stop basing your life on other people’s expectations.
View Quote

Are laws different in your state regarding living in rural land? Here in CA it's illegal to live on your own land for more than 21 days unless it has a county approved septic system installed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:44:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouncilOfDave] [#9]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

Are laws different in your state regarding living in rural land? Here in CA it's illegal to live on your own land for more than 21 days unless it has a county approved septic system installed.
View Quote
You understand the rest of the country isn't as fucked up as CA, right?

He also didn't say anything about not having septic.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#10]
No property tax bill?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
How are his bomb making skills?
View Quote

I laughed
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Pics and detailed descriptions not loading.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

My county just recently enacted a bunch of new rules and codes. I was talking to my neighbor that builds houses for a living. He was really praising all the new government over reach. He wasn't happy when I pointed out how it doesn't affect the Amish. Around here if you don't hook to the grid they have no hold on you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I’d do it if the wife would let me
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By StanGram:
I have a great life, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous of this guy.
View Quote

Yup, for about one hot minute....and only if I were single.  

Really depends on where you are in life.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By amendment:
The ladies must love that sweet shed
View Quote

After living “the dream” in a big house with a big mortgage and big utility bills I could care less what superficial whores think.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you’re actually rural the state won’t know anything about where you hang your hat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I guess I missed his segment on where he gets his "free" food
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#20]
What about when you have to fix things or fill the propane tank?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Lmao I saw this and thought if GD immediately
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

You'd be surprised. Many (sane) women still appreciate security over style.

He didn't show the bathroom setup, that'd be the main showstopper -- if he's got a flush toilet and workingshower and they're clean,
he's probably GTG with way more women than you'd imagine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Property tax?

= Never have no bills.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#24]
If that's all you want from life, and you can make it happen, good for you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Yes laws are different in other states.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Toasted:
No property tax bill?
View Quote

Where I built you don’t need a permit if it’s under 400 sq ft. No permit on file means I pay property tax on raw land only. Roughly $450 a year compared to paying $400 a month at my last home.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#27]
He reminds me of Stinky the Grump for some reason...

Chappels Show Kneehigh Park [uncensored / uncut]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:

View All Quotes

yeah he did
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By seek2:

You'd be surprised. Many (sane) women still appreciate security over style.

He didn't show the bathroom setup, that'd be the main showstopper -- if he's got a flush toilet and workingshower and they're clean,
he's probably GTG with way more women than you'd imagine.
View Quote

looked like some sort of surplus olive drab shower stall or something inside.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:09:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harlikwin] [#30]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
until the batteries need replacing
View Quote

Yup. That is a cost, though LiFePO4's are supposedly good for 10k cycles, so like 25 years of constant use "in theory", and the panels are about the same, again "in theory".

Looks like he's got 8 100ah batteries. And 2-300 a pop thats not terrible ~2k maybe a bit more. His solar setup is probably equally small. So he's likely got less than 10k invested in it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By FireSteel:
I guess I missed his segment on where he gets his "free" food
View Quote

Yea, that’s gonna be about $8k a month.

" />
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:13:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouncilOfDave] [#32]
Originally Posted By Seadra_tha_Guineapig:

yeah he did
View All Quotes

yeah he did
No, he didn't. He said water lines don't run that far out, so he's using a catchment system, and has no utility bill for water. That doesn't mean "no septic".

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Being alone in perpetuity should keep that sugar shack nice and roomy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I wish the guy the best. I chose a different route which was to make a shit ton of money so I wouldn't have to live in a storage shed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:21:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gator] [#35]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Pretty sure there would be no room for me after the gun safes, ammo, spare parts, tools, and reloading stuff were put into a shed that size…

Plus all the “free” in this guy’s view means “after I paid many thousands of dollars for the solar power system, and water filtration”
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#37]
If I could I would live darn near year round at fish-camp.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

They probably LOVE his fat wallet though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Im sure someone will report him for living unpermitted or something.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Good for him!

Did I make it in before the government got him on some bullshit charges?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

I think so, Plenty of people in my area have outhouses like I do. I wouldn’t have even pulled the septic permit yet if they had not forced me to when I got my well permit… apparently they want to know what you are doing with water that you pressurize into a building….

The only hard fast rule I know if in my county is that if it’s over 200sq. ft., it has to meet code. I had the building inspector come out after the rough carpentry and haven’t seen him again. The locals tell me that’s how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I like camping but i dont wanna live there
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#43]
MawFawkle needs to get hisself some kitties up in theyre,  nawwhatImsayin!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By tveddy:
I like camping but i dont wanna live there
View Quote

Exactly. No thanks. He is going to need medical care, then what?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

Pics and detailed descriptions not loading.
View Quote

800 square feet
160 foot deep well
Jotul wood stove/heater
Norcold 12VDC solar fridge freezer
12V 900AH battery bank
4 235w solar panels, with another 22 270w panels to install later….. but being honest, the 4 I am using meet all of my power needs except the dead of winter after too many days of clouds
Separate USA made charge controllers for each panel for ultimate redundancy
Two 2,000/4000w inverters
Propane on demand hot water-currently running on a BBQ tank, but I have two 100gal. Tanks to fill and take up
Internet is via cell tower and just as fast as home cable internet

The whole setup just works….. ESPECIALLY the solar setup. Even with the 4 panels, I can run an electric log splitter as fast as I can cycle it on an overcast day and it barely takes the top .2V off of the battery bank. The biggest power hog is the well pump, followed by the microwave, but I have never had to ration power to get thru a day or fire up a generator. Honestly, the generator is like a popcorn fart compared to what the solar panels put out, it’s almost not worth even keeping up there given that the solar setup is totally redundant… A lot of my friends and a few internet experts gave me grief when I designed the system and didn’t do things the conventional way with a solar install, but it’s 99% efficient on charge and I was planning on the system having to work for my wife if something ever happened to me.

I’m looking forward to putting a bathroom and stove in, that’s all we are really missing to make it “home”. My wife is already retired and this house is WAY nicer than the place her folks put her in college-at least I have running water, lol!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
until the batteries need replacing
View Quote

I’m betting this dude will be able to afford the latest, greatest Lithium batteries after a few years of no house payments AND be able to afford a milkshake on the way home…

I’ll let you know in a year or two-I paid my house of this week!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
I know 3 families living in Yurts here in the foothills of Shenandoah National Park. They’re all crunchy but good families that we enjoy spending time with.
View Quote

Living in a yurt is my retirement plan.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#48]

yeah he did
View Quote

Watched it twice and never heard "septic" mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By PredatorWhacker:
Being alone in perpetuity should keep that sugar shack nice and roomy.
View Quote

his "house" is probably the smallest hurdle to overcome for living alone.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By RogueSpear2023:
What about when you have to fix things or fill the propane tank?
View Quote

I don’t think that total lifestyle independence from society is what he’s claiming here…. He lives in his home with no bills but taxes, and that’s a great goal to meet.

And no, you don’t need propane. He has wood and he has solar. You don’t even need functional batteries to have hot water from solar if you set your water heater up as your dump load for the solar panels
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top