Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2023 11:03:58 AM EDT
The 'Like' button would reduce the amount of redundant BS replies.
The code should be out there to copy.
Please implement at your earliest convenience.

PS.  Was pleased to meet you at the cigar event.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
+1 (like!)
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I don’t like the idea but I don’t Facebook. I think it would make a lot of threads die because no one will reply and it will only be likes and dislikes. Don’t try to make this like Facebook.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By harrymank:
I don’t like the idea but I don’t Facebook. I think it would make a lot of threads die because no one will reply and it will only be likes and dislikes. Don’t try to make this like Facebook.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Wasn't thinking of Facebook but rather places like Reddit or the muzzleloading forums that I frequent.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

How would it make threads die? I don’t like dupes and that’s basically what a number of the threads currently are. Multiple dupes within a single thread. With an LIKE button, I envision that people would still post, but their post would more likely be a novel post as opposed to a dupe.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BRCA2:

How would it make threads die? I don’t like dupes and that’s basically what a number of the threads currently are. Multiple dupes within a single thread. With an LIKE button, I envision that people would still post, but their post would more likely be a novel post as opposed to a dupe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think the critical aspect would have to be that it not be tied to any prioritization of thread presentation. Chronological order needs to be kept. An option for searching for threads with the most likes might be workable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Please don't bring that Facebook bullshit here?!? Lotsa people come to Arfvom to escape that nonsense.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

I think the critical aspect would have to be that it not be tied to any prioritization of thread presentation. Chronological order needs to be kept. An option for searching for threads with the most likes might be workable.
View Quote
87%!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 5:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]
It would cut out 87 posts in every thread where someone quotes a post and adds Morgan Freeman

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:26:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#11]
IMO, no.  It is not needed.  

This isn't reddit, this isn't facebook, and this isn't other forums.

All a like button will do is remove the discussion from the discussion.  While I'm certainly guilty of an occasional "neat, thanks for sharing" redundant comment, a reply does not have to be redundant.  Discuss the topic with the OP or other participants.

Like buttons evolve into tracking karma and that is lame.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RogueShot12er:
It would cut out 87 posts in every thread where someone quotes a post and adds Morgan Freeman

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg
View Quote

Fricken site memes need to go away.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FDC:
View Quote
I think those are one of Sub's favorite features
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:

That guy should be banned.

Link Posted: 8/7/2023 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]
It would make it a lot like reddit and that is not cool. Reddit has a lot of posts that people dont communicate on and that would kill what Arfcom is.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Exactly this. Other forms I belong to do this. It cheapens the threads.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 1:11:04 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

This!
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Lots of websites use +1 or 'up voting '
I like the idea.  Lots of time stuff is good but not really respondable
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 1:19:32 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
I don't necessarily mind having a +1 (or "like") counter that's there for informational purposes only, but I'm not sure I'd ever go for actually doing something with it - like promoting (or worse - demoting) posts.

One of the things I actually like about old school forums, is that threads and posts are chronological. I'm not convinced we're better off collectively, for having accepted that other "platforms" have moved away from that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Subnet:
Originally Posted By TechGal26:
I don't necessarily mind having a +1 (or "like") counter that's there for informational purposes only, but I'm not sure I'd ever go for actually doing something with it - like promoting (or worse - demoting) posts.

One of the things I actually like about old school forums, is that threads and posts are chronological. I'm not convinced we're better off collectively, for having accepted that other "platforms" have moved away from that.

If you haven't familiarized yourself with Jonathan Haidt's work on that subject, I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#23]
People post for likes because of the rush it give to see people like what they post.
Same with the + and - on reddit. If you notice people with low liked posts will stop posting.

This is one of the reason Twitter, ticktok, and reddit are full of nudity and such.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Pass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

Anything but being like F'ing Facebook.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Attachment Attached File

View Quote

You do know that Morgan Freeman gets a residual every single time someone posts or reposts that Meme and he donates all of it to little starving baby boys & girls all around the world?

Why do you hate staving little baby boys & girls?

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By wganz:

Wasn't thinking of Facebook but rather places like Reddit or the muzzleloading forums that I frequent.
View Quote
Doing anything to be "like Reddit" is a move in the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe I'm in it for the redundant BS replies?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
It's been discussed somewhat - wouldn't hurt my feelings if they disappeared.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By osprey21:

It's been discussed somewhat - wouldn't hurt my feelings if they disappeared.

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TechGal26:
View Quote
I would wholeheartedly support something like this, and not to re-organize posts, just to try to cut down on some of the dumbass shitty replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top